PDA

View Full Version : Help Please...new to Roms

icedice34
09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
I am running a DROID X .602 Rooted. I downloaded and tried to install cyanogenmod and google apps last night. I used DROID x bootstrapper, wiped data/factory, wiped cache, then ran the cyanogenmod and gapps zip files. My phone then simply flashed the M logo. I had to sbf back to stock, reboot, and load a backup.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? I had a hard time finding a dl for cyanogenmod. Can someone provide a link to the correct version for DROID x on .602?

I have never tried Roms before, any tips would be appreciated. Also, what other roms that are free would you recommend trying (with links please)

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

popcenator
09-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Most likely you tried to install CM4DX based on the Froyo kernel, there is a version for Gingerbread out now. On Gingerbread, it's best to use D2 bootstrap. Flashing CM soft bricked you because it must be installed from Froyo. I'll get you the link for CM4DX GB.

Nemo aeternamn
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?3335-DEV_THREAD-DroidX-CM7-with-Gingerbread-Kernel
This is the right cm7 for the ginger kernel...
We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

cory46
The official beta of cyanogen can only be installed from froyo (2.3.340 system version) which is where you got in trouble

Here are the links http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=cdma_shadow

Holy ninja!

1Kitkatdidiwags

popcenator
Ninjad...sort of

icedice34
09-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I already bought DROID x bootstrapper. Does it make that much of a difference that I really need to buy DROID 2 bootstrapper?

popcenator
09-15-2011, 11:51 AM
D2 is an updated version of DX and is much more stable on Gingerbread, people have had issues using the DX bootstrap. If you choose to try and use it, make sure USB debugging is unchecked in settings > applications > development.

icedice34
09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Also, even here I got misleading answers. One of you gave me a GB link, one says you must use Group. I'm confused:-) maybe there is a different rom I should try.

icedice34
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I found that, and I've been able to do backups and flash the wugfresh Wifi tether .zip no problem. Are you still saying I should pay for the second app?

popcenator
09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
The link Nemo provided are the unofficial nightly builds for Gingerbread (pretty safe from what I've read) which is what you'll need to use if you want cyanogenmod on your current setup

The link Cory provided are the official nightly builds for Froyo which needs to be installed from Froyo.

It all depends on what you want to do, there are other good ROMs for .602 if you want to try.

popcenator
09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
If it's been working for you then I say use it, I just like to warn people so they know the risks, but I would say you're fine if it's been working for you. Once you get on CM, you'll use a different recovery app anyway (ROM Manager to be specific).

icedice34
09-15-2011, 12:07 PM
It all depends on what you want to do, there are other good ROMs for .602 if you want to try.

Any good examples of. 602 friendly roms?

popcenator
09-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Apex, Shuji, CM4DX-GB (which you now know about), I'm not sure if Liberty has been updated for .602, I'm probably forgetting a couple but those are the major ones. I'm enjoying Shuji now, but Apex was also very stable, you can't go wrong with either.

icedice34
09-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Apex, Shuji, CM4DX-GB (which you now know about), I'm not sure if Liberty has been updated for .602, I'm probably forgetting a couple but those are the major ones. I'm enjoying Shuji now, but Apex was also very stable, you can't go wrong with either.

Awesome, I will check all those out! Thanks a lot. Hopefully I don't brick my phone again:-)

popcenator
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
You're very welcome! If you do, we'll be here. :wink:

icedice34
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
You're very welcome! If you do, we'll be here. :wink:

Well...running Shuji right now...so far so good.

popcenator
09-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I like it, here's some themes for it.
DroidModderX -[ROM] Shuji ROM 2.2 / DX based on .602 9/14/11 (http://droidmodderx.com/rom-shuji-rom-2-0-dx-based-on-602-82311/)

icedice34
09-15-2011, 05:08 PM
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?3335-DEV_THREAD-DroidX-CM7-with-Gingerbread-Kernel
This is the right cm7 for the ginger kernel...

Nemo, I tried installing this,and once in, I had no market and hardly any apps. Is this not a full version? Or do I need to download something else as well? Thanks!

popcenator
09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
You need to download gapps as well, this holds the market and stock google apps like voice, voice search, etc...

icedice34
09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
You need to download gapps as well, this holds the market and stock google apps like voice, voice search, etc...

Don't suppose you have a link to a valid gapps download? Do you know if the rumors about no camera are true with cyanogenmod?

Nemo aeternamn
09-15-2011, 05:14 PM
goo-inside.me
haha... that cracks me up...

http://goo-inside.me/gapps

gbrinn
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Don't suppose you have a link to a valid gapps download? Do you know if the rumors about no camera are true with cyanogenmod?

Do you have ROM Manager built into your ROM? GAPPs can be downloaded and installed with/through ROM Manager. It should also be available here: http://goo-inside.me/gapps (http://goo-inside.me/gapps).

If you're on the Froyo version of CM7, you'll have to install a fix for the camera, I believe. If you're on the CM7-GB alpha, it works without a problem.

icedice34
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok, Now i'm using CM7. I can't seem to find the WiFI tethering App? I see online there should be on built in though?

Nemo aeternamn
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Ok, Now i'm using CM7. I can't seem to find the WiFI tethering App? I see online there should be on built in though?

It's not built in for the x... Yet... But you should be able to download an app for tethering through amazon our somewhere... For free

icedice34
09-15-2011, 11:14 PM
It's not built in for the x... Yet... But you should be able to download an app for tethering through amazon our somewhere... For free

Do I need to worry about the tracking files that WugFresh's all in one tethering zip fixes? Or can I just find one and not worry to much about big red tracking my tether? Barnicle wifi tether is available in the market?

Nemo aeternamn
09-15-2011, 11:50 PM
on cm7... ya... there's not much to worry about unless you over do it... and you don't need wug's zip... and i believe it's available through the amazon market... it got removed from the android market awhile ago

icedice34
09-16-2011, 08:08 AM
I really appreciate all the help I've been getting.

I've got two questions in regards to CM7 now.
1) I discovered last night that the LED glows BRIGHT green whenever it is charging. That is REALLY annoying for someone that uses his phone as an alarm clock and keeps the desk clock set up at night. I found something about editing the build.prop, but couldn't find a way to edit that....any tips?
2) Is there a way to get Swype? I do like the CM7 keyboard, but I also like swype.

Thanks!

gbrinn
09-16-2011, 08:20 AM

1) I discovered last night that the LED glows BRIGHT green whenever it is charging. That is REALLY annoying for someone that uses his phone as an alarm clock and keeps the desk clock set up at night. I found something about editing the build.prop, but couldn't find a way to edit that....any tips?
2) Is there a way to get Swype? I do like the CM7 keyboard, but I also like swype.

Thanks!
In reverse order:

2) Swype | Text Input for Screens (http://beta.swype.com/)
1) I can't answer this one. My solution was to just turn the phone face down.

DirtyDroid
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Thanks!

I'm not sure but check out light flow...custom led for everything...might be one for charging light..

Nemo aeternamn
09-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks!

With the led thing.. Ya... It's always on while it charges... It's a thing with the build... It will always be in while charging...
And as fast as swype... I suggest getting the beta version... It rocks...

savagerun
09-16-2011, 11:38 AM
With the led thing.. Ya... It's always on while it charges... It's a thing with the build... It will always be in while charging...
And as fast as swype... I suggest getting the beta version... It rocks...

Yeah that led thing drives me nuts because when im home i usually keep the phone on a charger since i have an outlet handy next to my recliner. It wouldn't be bad if the led wasn't so bright it hits me right in the eyeball haha... thought about putting some black tape over it. Oh well...just downloaded the updated cmgb http://synik4l.net/phcdownload/download.php?id=41 So im gonna check it out.

Nemo aeternamn
09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah that led thing drives me nuts because when im home i usually keep the phone on a charger since i have an outlet handy next to my recliner. It wouldn't be bad if the led wasn't so bright it hits me right in the eyeball haha... thought about putting some black tape over it. Oh well...just downloaded the updated cmgb http://synik4l.net/phcdownload/download.php?id=41 So im gonna check it out.

Haha... I'm just use to the led always being on...so it doesn't bother me...haha

gbrinn
09-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Got the update handy for going my replacement phone tonight.

icedice34
09-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Did a new nightly come out?

Nemo aeternamn
09-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Did a new nightly come out?

last night... Cm7 for the ginger kernel

icedice34
09-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I just had to restore back to shuji rom. Anyone know why I would lost my data connection and not get it back on cm7? I tried battery pulls, airplane mode, and other options...but nothing...

Nemo aeternamn
09-16-2011, 03:41 PM
not sure why... but i'd try... booting in to clcokwork... and manually formatting things... then reflash the rom... and see if that helps... then restore your data... and see if it happens again... and if so... when it happens.. so that should help figure out what's causing it

icedice34
09-16-2011, 04:06 PM
not sure why... but i'd try... booting in to clcokwork... and manually formatting things... then reflash the rom... and see if that helps... then restore your data... and see if it happens again... and if so... when it happens.. so that should help figure out what's causing it

What is the best method to go about changing. In otherwords, if I want to go back to Shuji, or Stock, do I need to format everything, run the shuji.zip file, and then boot, or can I just go into recovery and run the backup of shuji?/stock/whatever?

Nemo aeternamn
09-16-2011, 04:12 PM
you can just flash your back ups to go back and forth.. it's not a bad idea to wipe somethings if you want a clean install... but it's not necessary... i usually just flash back and forth... but you can only do that simply enough if you use the back ups from the same base

icedice34
09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
you can just flash your back ups to go back and forth.. it's not a bad idea to wipe somethings if you want a clean install... but it's not necessary... i usually just flash back and forth... but you can only do that simply enough if you use the back ups from the same base

Well I really only did two things today...I downloaded barnacle wifi tether, and bionic blue theme and associated wallpaper replacer. I've cleared data/cache, reinstalled the cm7.zip, then ran my recovery...barnicle is back on, I still have data. Apparently the bionic blue theme and others in that series don't cooperate with my phone.

icedice34
09-16-2011, 05:37 PM
So, it appears to be working and I LOVE cm7, its like a new better phone. I do miss one thing dearly from stock gb .602, is the contact quick tasks blur widgit. Anyone got a good replacement for this? I'd like to quickly text/call a few favorite people with quick widgits.

savagerun
09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
So, it appears to be working and I LOVE cm7, its like a new better phone. I do miss one thing dearly from stock gb .602, is the contact quick tasks blur widgit. Anyone got a good replacement for this? I'd like to quickly text/call a few favorite people with quick widgits.

You can do that just long press on the screen then press shortcuts then press contact.

icedice34
09-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Not quite the same. I'm looking for a Widget that can do more than those. I found ContactWidgets Beta...does a reasonable job. Have any of you used the blue bionic wall paper/wall paper chooser without errors?

gbrinn
09-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Not quite the same. I'm looking for a Widget that can do more than those. I found ContactWidgets Beta...does a reasonable job. Have any of you used the blue bionic wall paper/wall paper chooser without errors?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsAnimated Widget Pro.

icedice34
09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
last night... Cm7 for the ginger kernel

So if I want to install this nightly, I should backup, then can I just flash it? Or do I need to clear data/cache etc?

gbrinn
09-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Are you on CM7-GB? If so, just clear Dalvik cache. No need to wipe data.