PDA

View Full Version : I need an electricians help

jwalz
09-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I took down ceiling fan to put in a light fixture... there are 3 wires coming down each containing a black white and ground ...for a total of 9 wires. Obviously the grounds go together but wut about the remaining 6 wires 3 white 3 black... ...the light fixture has 2 white and 2 black... need some help already blew the circuit 3x. Im at a loss.

my wife owns the bionic but she lets me play with it ;)

macpro88
09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Take a picture, and maybe head to home depot or lowes, I know they got some great easy books to read on doing this sorts of things, and if you show the pic to someone in that department, they might have some help for you.

Some of the wires might be for the light of the ceiling fan and some for the fan itself, specially if you have a wall switch that controls both. I'm no electrician though.

nemosfate
09-15-2011, 10:41 AM
I took down ceiling fan to put in a light fixture... there are 3 wires coming down each containing a black white and ground ...for a total of 9 wires. Obviously the grounds go together but wut about the remaining 6 wires 3 white 3 black... ...the light fixture has 2 white and 2 black... need some help already blew the circuit 3x. Im at a loss.

Hey jwalz this should help I think
http://www.wiringhelp.com/electrical/electrical-how-to/how-to-wire-a-ceiling-fan.html

root, roms and themes oh my!

jwalz
09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys but I can't make it to home depot or a while and the diagram isn't the same as the wires that I have..I appreciate the help though...im thinking one is hot the other is for the switch and the other is to continue the ectricity to another light .. errs I hate electrical work. :/

DirtyDroid
09-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys but I can't make it to home depot or a while and the diagram isn't the same as the wires that I have..I appreciate the help though...im thinking one is hot the other is for the switch and the other is to continue the ectricity to another light .. errs I hate electrical work. :/

Hey J can u take a pic and post it on here of what your looking at?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

jwalz
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Best I can do

iresq
09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm guessing you did not pay attention when you took the ceiling fan down? Did you have individual controls for light and fan? Can you gain access above the ceiling to see where they run? Do you have a multi meter? If not, you can wire up a temp outlet to see how each write set behaves.
Sent from my Droid X

DirtyDroid
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm guessing you did not pay attention when you took the ceiling fan down? Did you have individual controls for light and fan? Can you gain access above the ceiling to see where they run? Do you have a multi meter? If not, you can wire up a temp outlet to see how each write set behaves.
Sent from my Droid X

I believe if they are doubled up like that they are
running more than one thing..correct me if I'm wrong...if you had double switches..that could be it....

jwalz
09-15-2011, 02:18 PM
No just one switch to the fan that was there... I did pay attn 2 black and 1 white were capped and put to the side the remaining 2 whit and 1 black were connected to the ceiling fan.... when I took it down I left them capped the way they were and just connected the light white to white black to black...nope that wasn't it. Blew circuit 1x then took the capped bundle apart and connected all the black and all the white together and blew it again...

nemosfate
09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
No just one switch to the fan that was there... I did pay attn 2 black and 1 white were capped and put to the side the remaining 2 whit and 1 black were connected to the ceiling fan.... when I took it down I left them capped the way they were and just connected the light white to white black to black...nope that wasn't it. Blew circuit 1x then took the capped bundle apart and connected all the black and all the white together and blew it again...

I'll ask a buddy when I get to class as he does home repair so maybe he'll know

jwalz
09-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I'll ask a buddy when I get to class as he does home repair so maybe he'll know

That would be great thanks...I asked a home repair friend too and he said trial and error.lmao.

ryant35
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
I am not an electrician, but I do design electrical systems and I've installed 7 ceiling fans in our house in the past year.

Black is hot and white is neutral, so your new fixture should be the same. Black to black and white to white. The instructions that came with your fixture should show the same thing.

As for multiple black or white wires, a simple 120 voltage tester from Home Depot or Lowes is very useful and I good safety tool.
I found something similar to this link at Home Depot for less than $10.
Circuit Tester # BP914 by Cooper Wiring Devices (http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/15-62-circuit-voltage-testers/circuit-tester-239384.aspx)
It has tester probes and when you touch the black and white wires with this tester a light will come on if there is power. Make sure the wires are clear from each other and the back box and turn on the switch. Then test each black wire with the white wire touching the other side of the tester. Make sure one of the wires has power with the switch on and no power with the switch off. Then put a wire nut on the other wire and move it out of the way. DO NOT TEST BOTH BLACK WIRES AT THE SAME TIME, ONE SIDE OF YOUR TESTERS HAS TO BE ON THE WHILE NEUTRAL WIRE!

Then connect your black to black and white to white.

jwalz
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a tester and will be marking it off when my wife gets home to watch my son... there are 3 black and 3 white coming from the ceiling... I know 1 is to the switch and 1 is to the power ..the 3rd im not so sure about.

Shakdownsi
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Black is your hot, white is ground, green is common. There actually shouldn't be that many tied together unless its in junction box. But, in this case turn your breakers to that area off first. Then simply wire nut the colors together. The reason it's throughing breakers is probably to many connections on one circuit. Without seeing it personally it's hard to say for sure. Thing to do would be to test the tires with the breaker on and the wires disconnected to see how many hots you have. Then try to balance then out. Pm me and if I can help any further.

only thing I like more than my DX, is a Ford.

jwalz
09-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Black is your hot, white is ground, green is common. There actually shouldn't be that many tied together unless its in junction box. But, in this case turn your breakers to that area off first. Then simply wire nut the colors together. The reason it's throughing breakers is probably to many connections on one circuit. Without seeing it personally it's hard to say for sure. Thing to do would be to test the tires with the breaker on and the wires disconnected to see how many hots you have. Then try to balance then out. Pm me and if I can help any further.

only thing I like more than my DX, is a Ford.

Ok ill be testing in about 2 hrs when wifey gets home im sure i'll be pm'ing you then.lol

mopar-x
09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Can get a picture from a little farther back?

mopar-x
09-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Blacks are (hot) , white is (common) , bare copper or green is (earth ground) . The black and white wires should not touch ground or the metal box.

mopar-x
09-15-2011, 03:10 PM
A picture of the fan wires would help also :)

jwalz
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Just tested it and found the hot its the set that's on the side by itself

fernbch
09-15-2011, 03:13 PM
You have what is called a "switch leg" in that box. One cable coming in is the feed to the circuit, one goes out to the remainder of the circuit, and the third goes to the light switch. PM me with your email address and I'll send you all the info you need to correct it. Basically what it means is one of those three wires takes a hot wire to the light switch and brings the "switch leg" back to the light. That's why there were two blacks and one white wire-nutted together and put off to the side in the box the fan was on.

1KDS
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM
If two of the blacks we're capped then cap them again and the neutrals (white) that are in the same romex (they are likely going to fixtures that were removed at some point). Wire the remaining hot and neutral to the new fixture. Done.

From the X

mopar-x
09-15-2011, 04:01 PM
True dat 1KDS.

jwalz
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
If two of the blacks we're capped then cap them again and the neutrals (white) that are in the same romex (they are likely going to fixtures that were removed at some point). Wire the remaining hot and neutral to the new fixture. Done.

From the X

There were never any other light fixtures in the house that are not there now... frn is going to give me a hand a appreciate every Borgen input in helping me out if I run into any troubles I will post and if I get this accomplished ill let know

nemosfate
09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
There were never any other light fixtures in the house that are not there now... frn is going to give me a hand a appreciate every Borgen input in helping me out if I run into any troubles I will post and if I get this accomplished ill let know

My buddy said basically what everyone else has said lol
Good luck!

jwalz
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
My buddy said basically what everyone else has said lol
Good luck!

I appreciate you taking the time to ask thank you

3rotorRX8
09-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Got to love this place! :-)
Good job to everyone helping out!

mopar-x
09-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Keep us posted :)

jwalz
09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Got to love this place! :-)
Good job to everyone helping out!

+1 thanks to all and ill keep ya posted give me bout an hour

BuRNiN_BoNeS
09-15-2011, 05:50 PM
+1 thanks to all and ill keep ya posted give me bout an hour

ok, if you know 1 is going to the switch and the other is coming from power, wire those blacks together and also the whites, the other wire is coming from the other side of the switch to actually give you power...
the house likely was built long enough ago that they had a pull string on the light to turn it on and a switch was added later, this is the most common and cheapest way of adding a switch to the circuit.

jwalz
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Got it fellas... yaaay...thank you for all the responses and the help ... id tell you what I did but my brain is fried and im hungry going to eat some homemade chicken marsala

jwalz
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
I think this is what I did... lol. Once again thanks to all for the help and effort in helping. DXF rules.

mopar-x
09-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Looks good! ...... but does it work? LOL JK :P

fernbch
09-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I think this is what I did... lol. Once again thanks to all for the help and effort in helping. DXF rules.

That, my friends, is a "switch leg" circuit, or close enough anyway. It id's the hot wire coming FROM the switch to the light. It is important to.know which. If you hook the hot wire to the screw shell of the light bulb, you can get shocked unscrewing the lamp because the threaded part of the bulb is hot. The white wire going to the switch should be the "hot leg". This let's the black wire coming from the switch be the "switch leg". That way you know what to hook to the black wire on the fixture.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

jwalz
09-15-2011, 08:42 PM
That, my friends, is a "switch leg" circuit, or close enough anyway. It id's the hot wire coming FROM the switch to the light. It is important to.know which. If you hook the hot wire to the screw shell of the light bulb, you can get shocked unscrewing the lamp because the threaded part of the bulb is hot. The white wire going to the switch should be the "hot leg". This let's the black wire coming from the switch be the "switch leg". That way you know what to hook to the black wire on the fixture.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

Lmao I draw that up and still have no idea what your saying.lol...in all seriousness thank you fern for helping me out. The light looks great and I got some browns points with the wife ;)

jwalz
09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Looks good! ...... but does it work? LOL JK :P

Lol I was going to take a pic of it on cause I thought some one would say that so here it is. Lol

nemosfate
09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Glad you got it working!