PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question -- what will be your next phone?

PeaceMaker
09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey guys,

Many of you guys are release day owners of the Droid X and looking for an upgrade sometime soon (March or earlier if you have someone else' upgrade you can take). I don't have any major issues with my phone, but I definitely want to change it up for my own sake soon.

There are a lot of new phones entering the market frequently, and I am definitely eager to see how some of them play out: specifically, the iPhone. Before you start hate bashing this thread, please hear me out.

I do like my phone and Android very much. What I don't like are the hangups (which I blame on Moto + VZ) that I experience from time-to-time. Yes, you can root, ROM, and whatever else to help with this, but from my experience, even the ROMs lockup/restart/hang.

I like the fact that Apple is much more stable and consistent. I don't like the fact that iOS doesn't have as much freedom as Android. Definitely a trade off there. I do like the fact that developers shoot for iOS first before Android (in general, IMO). I love my widgets, GPS, and freedom to hack my phone the way I want. I don't like my battery drain and heat expenditure when I am using it for 10-15mins straight (like GPS or playing a game).

I thought about the Thunderbolt, but that thing is freaking fat. No thank you. I love the idea. It's definitely what the DX2 should have been... I don't understand why we can't have stutter free performance yet... the hardware is there. 1ghz dual core should be stutter free. If a 1ghz dual core (Intel Atom) can run Windows 7 without stuttering, I think an ARM based 1ghz dual core should be able to run Android w/o stuttering. I blame Android.

I'm not sure if all this sounds negative, but these are my first hand gripes with Android (even though I do LOVE and defend the Android OS to friends). At the same time, I don't hate on iPhone at all.

All this being said, what will be your next phone? What are you looking at? Are you considering switching to the iPhone?

gbrinn
09-14-2011, 10:49 AM
No. Being tethered to Apple's proprietary cable and software (iTunes) to do anything to the phone? Pass. No customization? Pass. Being dependent on Apple stores for battery changes, fixes, etc? No way.

If you like the phone, by all means have at it. But it's not for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

jloya
09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
My next phone is either going to be the bionic or the prime...most likely the prime...as long as it has HDMI out...i know its a sammy but the specs are superior to the bionic...although I do love moto builds

to touch on your ROM comment, ROMS have come a LONG way from 4-5 months ago. I am currently running darkslide X. I have not had any reboots, nothing doesnt work, everything works flawlessly and performance and battery life are the best. If your looking for a change im sure a ROM will satisfy that.

also if your looking to upgrade around march of next year im sure there will be a whole new line of phones we have yet to even hear rumors about

Amazonfemme
09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
As a newcomer to the world of smartphones -- the X is my first, and I bought it a couple of days after it was released -- I thought for a while that I might switch to the iPhone once it came to VZW. It seemed ... I don't know ... easier, I guess. I didn't think I was the kind of person who wanted to devote hours to tweaking a phone, y'know?

But my view has changed in the last seven or eight months. I'm flat-out in love with Android. I couldn't give up my widgets, or the ability to customize the phone to my liking. And after talking to other smartphone users, I've reached the conclusion that no smartphone runs flawlessly -- including the iPhone.

If the X had a front-facing camera, I'd probably be content to stick with it until it died. But it doesn't, and I want one (so I can do video calls with my husband from anywhere when I'm away from home). I was so looking forward to the Bionic -- the one unveiled at CES had me practically drooling, it was so gorgeous -- but the new form factor leaves me cold. So I don't know what my next phone will be ... but since I don't have an upgrade until next July, and I'm not generally an early adopter, I've got lots of time to see what else captures my interest and gets favorable reviews. One way or another, I know that whatever I wind up getting will be an Android phone.

Zog
09-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Only one home key, far less enjoyable internet browsing experience, app store flooded with paid apps, hate ios, no customization, no HDMI, no development, and it breaks on ppl all the time.. need I go on? There's lots more. There's no question the Droid x is the superior phone.

My next phone will most likely be the Droid prime.

{8^D}---|----<

juhde
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I started off with the I*hone 3g, I liked it because I hadn't yet played with an Android device. Funny thing is I made the switch because I moved and my new town didn't have att 3g service and big red did, so I got a OG Droid and fell in love. Motorolas superior build quality and the Android OS blew my mind. Not long after the X came out and I was kicking myself for not waiting but my D1 still outshines any apple phone, even today. When my upgrade came around in March I was actually considering getting the X because the bionic seemed like it would never be released. Fortunately for me the X2 quietly slipped into the market and I bought it the day it launched. No offense to you OP but it's the other way around. The "Blunderbolt" should have been what the X2 is, hardware wise. True Motorola dropped the ball with the X2s initial OS, but for me personally it didn't matter because I like a challenge and tweaking my phone to run better gets me outta bed in the morning. So I've got this power house and I'm stuck with it for the next 1.5 years and personally, I couldn't be happier. As far as my next phone choice, it'll most likely be whatever quad core ( SoC manufacture depends on the specs) Motorola Android phone that's newest or best in my eyes.

Cheers

Sent from my Android device.

DroidXSkywalker
09-14-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way about your X, because the X is a great phone. I love my X like a baby, so I'm not changing phones at all. I also love it's design, I find it, not only cute, but also when I see my X out of it's otterbox, it's comforting too me. When I see my X, I remember how wonderful life is. I'm going thru a difficult pregnancy, so I'm stuck in bed all the time, so my X helps me get thru each and every day. Also I can't last one second without mine, so I need X. As for the iPhone, I wouldn't recommend it, because it doesn't last very long. Droids will outlive iPhone no matter what improvements Apple makes. Unless Apple comes out with a memory card and interchangeable batteries and more free apps, I want nothing to do with it. Also iOs is more difficult than Android. Also it's difficult to fix yourself when it freezes, as you can't change the battery yourself, and they don't have enough free stuff like Android does, therefor Andy saves you money in the long run.

Renegade2089
09-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Droid Bionic definitely

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

PeaceMaker
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
After doing some more research on recent ROMs, I'm still not sold. MIUI looks gorgeous, I can't lie. It looks like everything in a phone OS I would want, except for terrible battery life. I'm not willing to give that up. I am not by a charger on the weekends until I go to sleep, so this is not ideal.

Also, reading many of the threads on various Gingerbread ROMs, people are still discussing bugs and issues with the various ROMs...

So while I still love my Android freedom, I weigh stability high on my list (which is why I am stock ROM -- used to be on APEX).

bophead
09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi

I am using TBH 602 without any roms and it runs great. I did put the new radio in it. It is loaded with apps and has a decent battery life. I have tried a few roms, quite a few and I found them across the board to be buggy after a while. I use my phone for work and don't care about games and how cool it looks. I just want it to work. If you like roms on your X, this is the place to be. Like the HTC head inferred, iphone is so yesterday. They have a couple of apps that the android doesn't, but I can manage. I was thinking of the bionic to be the next phone, but with 2 phones out with better specs, I might wait a little while and see what is coming around the corner.

lhkjohn
09-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Whatever Moto comes out with in 1.5 years. Love my x2 and I'm so glad I exchanged the thunderbolt for it. Really want a Bionic, but as long as custom roms keep coming, I'll be happy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Leach19m
09-19-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm eligible for my upgrade in March, so whatever is the latest and greatest out at that time. Right now, the Nexus Prime looks like the best one in the near future, but there's a couple months there...and you never know what could happen by then! I know my girlfriend will be getting the iPhone 5 though :( she gets frustrated with the little quirks of the X/Android