PDA

View Full Version : New to root. Sending warranty.

SalemCBR
09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Sending phone back on a warranty. Was rooted, am now now thanks to petes root tools. So the rom (liberty 0.8) is still what's running. Do I need to put back the old gingi b rom to send it back?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mapatton82
09-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Sending phone back on a warranty. Was rooted, am now now thanks to petes root tools. So the rom (liberty 0.8) is still what's running. Do I need to put back the old gingi b rom to send it back?

If you can I would, but that is just me being parinoid. May I ask why you are sendimg it.in for warranty? Is it a hardware or software issue?

Sent from my DX running a ROM!!

popcenator
09-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes.

on the move..

zoe
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I've heard that you can be denied a warranty claim if the phone is rooted and/or running a custom rom

best bet is to sbf it back to the stock gb files you received it with

that would also likely fix any issue you're experiencing unless the phone is truly defective

there's lots of ppl here that can very likely fix whatever the prob. is, highly unlikely you did anything that can't be fixed/undone

baseless warranty claims hurt many more ppl than you may think, the costs do add up and as such the carriers take notice. eventually they'll make it'll be even harder for ppl with legitimate issues

(____((_________::: ~~~

Welfarebob
09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
From my understanding rooting the phone automatically voids any and all warranties on the phone.... however if you sbf it back to stock than they don't know the wiser... if you are unable to sbf than you more than likely aren't going to be filing a warranty claim but a insurance claim then it don't matter as you will pay the deductable anyhow :) if you are able to I would definitely sbf it back to atleast keep from paying the out of warranty costs your provider will charge I know most standard phones oow cost at the deathstar(at&t) when I worked there two yrs ago was anywhere from $150 and up :X steep price to pay when all you had to do was sbf lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

SalemCBR
09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Right on, its likely a software problem. After talking to a gal previously. She was just going to send me a x2 opposed to an x. Basicly she "messed up and sent me a ex again. This is me fixing that error and getting the x2 I was supposed to reciece previously. Basicly the problem was freezes where I had to pop the battery out.

mapatton82
09-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Right on, its likely a software problem. After talking to a gal previously. She was just going to send me a x2 opposed to an x. Basicly she "messed up and sent me a ex again. This is me fixing that error and getting the x2 I was supposed to reciece previously. Basicly the problem was freezes where I had to pop the battery out.

To be honest it sounds like a SBF is all you needed to start with (unless you were trying to get a X2 upgrade!!)!! I have had times after loading new ROMs where my phone would lock up and usually wiping data or SBF'ing and reloading the ROM would fix it.

SalemCBR
09-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I agree. I think I can fix the problem. But truthfully I just want to get the upgrade to the x2. I thought my current phone was an x2 until the bootstrap and clockwork didn't work. Further research helped me discover its an x.

mapatton82
09-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree. I think I can fix the problem. But truthfully I just want to get the upgrade to the x2. I thought my current phone was an x2 until the bootstrap and clockwork didn't work. Further research helped me discover its an x.

IMHO I would stay with the DX. By switching to the DX2 your not gaining much other than a little more processing power and less options when it comes to ROMs and modifications.

SalemCBR
09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
I read some articles and I see what u mean. Especially with the roms available. I did get the x2. So, too late. Im sure more roms will come. But U do have a point.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums