PDA

View Full Version : Sorry in advance...

96GT226410
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Complete newb with any of this here. What is wireless tethering? Rooting? How do I upgrade my stock theme? What's the best ROM to run? Is there anything else I need to know about upgrading my phone? I have been doing a lot of reading and I am overwhelmed and I figured I'd ask the pros. Thanks a lot, I know these vague questions about someone who knows nothing can be annoying...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Leach19m
09-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Complete newb with any of this here. What is wireless tethering? Rooting? How do I upgrade my stock theme? What's the best ROM to run? Is there anything else I need to know about upgrading my phone? I have been doing a lot of reading and I am overwhelmed and I figured I'd ask the pros. Thanks a lot, I know these vague questions about someone who knows nothing can be annoying...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Wireless tethering is using your droids Internet on another device, through wifi or bluetooth

Rooting grants access to all the files on your phone, allowing you to alter things previously unavailable and to run programs that require access where they wouldn't have it without rooting.

Themes are typically rom specific, but there are some "stock rooted" themes that don't require a rom

Best rom is a very personal question, the best thing to do is to try one for a while then another, then another, then another to see which you prefer.

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

smalltowngirl13
09-10-2011, 07:29 PM
No need to apologize...it looks like Mike has answered your questions...

I will add - if you are wanting to change up how your homescreens look (minus the notification bar), you can install a 3rd party replacement launcher (most have some colorful themes to go with them)...These would include Go Launcher, ADW.ex and LauncherPro just to name a few. You can change your launcher without rooting if ya wanted.

Good luck and keep the questions coming, we are happy to help ya out if we can!

as_daylight_dies
09-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Also to add: If you are a nerd like me, you might want to just keep your phone stock because once you relize what this bad boy can really do you can kiss your life goodbye ;)

~Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.9.9

smalltowngirl13
09-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Also to add: If you are a nerd like me, you might want to just keep your phone stock because once you relize what this bad boy can really do you can kiss your life goodbye ;)

LOL... that's a great point...

~~ sent from my x~~

as_daylight_dies
09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
LOL... that's a great point...

~~ sent from my x~~

Indeed. If I say the word "flash" to my girlfriend again I think she might actually kill me lol

popcenator
09-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Indeed. If I say the word "flash" to my girlfriend again I think she might actually kill me lol

+1 to that

on the move..