PDA

View Full Version : Battery calibration (New method?)

juhde
09-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Lately I've noticed my battery% was only going to 95% at a full charge and no higher, despite wiping battery stats multiple times I couldn't seem to find a way to get it fully charged.

Well my friends I finally found the answer.

First charge until Android says your battery is full and to unplug your device.

Next unplug and power down the X2.

From a powered off state, plug in to the wall charger. This should boot the phone into charge mode, you should see a large battery icon and it should say that it's 100% and have a check mark.

Once you're at this point, leaving the X2 plugged in, remove the battery door and the battery. The X2 should reboot once again into charge mode, but this time the large battery icon should be empty and a question mark in the middle of it.

Now reinsert the battery and reattach the battery door, the onscreen icon should change to 5%, leave it plugged in and charging until it reads 100%. It should only take about 10 minutes. Now press and hold the power button until the phone starts to boot up.

If you're not rooted unplug the phone and then your work is done, treat yourself to a popsicle for a job well done. However, rooted users may choose to perform an additional step. If so continue reading.

Once it's finished booting use System Recovery to boot into custom recovery and wipe battery stats. You'll find this option under Advanced. After doing so, go back to the main menu, unplug and choose reboot into Android. Now go get one of those popsicles those non root types are already enjoying.

Hope this has helped someone.

Cheers!

Sent from my Android device.

DirtyDroid
09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Nice find and write up..ill have to share this with my friend with the x2...wevwere just talking about it the day

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
09-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I do this all the timr!! I literally swear by it

FreeMyMoto!!!

macpro88
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Nice find, had this happen to me on my X a few weeks ago, can't remember what I did, but I got it fixed, something similar to your method. I was on CM7 as well and thought maybe a CM7 issue.

popcenator
09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Yay for popsicles!

juhde
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Yay for popsicles!

Indeed

gunner1982
09-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Yay for popsicles!

+1

kifey
09-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Worked petty good. I turned phone off and waited for the 100% and check then pulled battery. Once it reset to the question mark I reinserted battery. It started at 20% then jumped to 60% then charged as normal to 100:) does that actually calibrate battery?

juhde
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Worked petty good. I turned phone off and waited for the 100% and check then pulled battery. Once it reset to the question mark I reinserted battery. It started at 20% then jumped to 60% then charged as normal to 100:) does that actually calibrate battery?

If you're rooted yes, if not rooted it will only ensure you have a full charge.

kifey
09-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Well I just got root on .602. Just got clockwork recovery installed. Im new to this. Only have had my x for a bit over a month courtesy of ebay. Im gonna see what I can get myself into then out of;)

garywojdan81
09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks man. This answers a question I had about switching to the bh6x battery. On the fascinate we used to call this bump charging & I was wondering how to accomplish it with bsr installed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

garywojdan81
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey Juhde (pun intended), I hope you don't mind but I just shared this over @xda in the droidx2 accessories forum, giving you full credit of course. Thanks again for all the support you provide.

juhde
09-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Sure thing.

Sent from my Android device

MistaWolfe
09-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm on the last step Juhde (where it goes from 5% to 100%) and it's only at 15% after 20 minutes. Should I pull the charger out and put it back in?

juhde
09-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm on the last step Juhde (where it goes from 5% to 100%) and it's only at 15% after 20 minutes. Should I pull the charger out and put it back in?

The time it takes varies from battery to battery, mostly depending on how far off it is to begin with.

Sent from my Android device

firefighterguy
09-14-2011, 12:37 AM
The first time I did this, it took a long time for me as well. I finally got tired of waiting, so I just went to bed and let it finish overnight while I was sleeping, woke up and finished it where I left off. When I tapped the power button to wake the screen up, it said " 5% " for a second then went straight to 100%. And it fi ished up nicely.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

dechristimo
09-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Well, I'm kind of sick of just stupid things coming up, but I've got another problem :/
I'm on the atrix ROM and for some reason i dont have a charge mode. When i plug in to my wall charger it goes to the bootload screen and just freezes, it does this regardless if i have battery manager frozen or not. My battery life isnt too bad to start so I'm not too worried about it, but if there's a simple answer it'd be appreciated.

Sent from my Atrix 4g..... or i mean Droid X2 using Droid X Forums

juhde
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, I'm kind of sick of just stupid things coming up, but I've got another problem :/
I'm on the atrix ROM and for some reason i dont have a charge mode. When i plug in to my wall charger it goes to the bootload screen and just freezes, it does this regardless if i have battery manager frozen or not. My battery life isnt too bad to start so I'm not too worried about it, but if there's a simple answer it'd be appreciated.

Boot up normally, open system recovery, press install recovery, plug in and press charge mode.

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM

Edit.nvm

juhde
09-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Edit.nvm

You sir, have been ninja'd

Nemo aeternamn
09-19-2011, 01:17 AM
You sir, have been ninja'd

haha... not excatly... i just didn't know of that process as i only have an x... and to get it into charge mode... i thought he was meaning while it was off... and i thought that it was like it is for cm7 on the x.. that was a file of the oe blur.. i didn't know... and decided to post anyway... when you came in and answered it properly...hahaha....

juhde
09-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Aww man, I was all excited too...

victimssun
09-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Awesome, thanks for this. I've seen this thread, but didn't pay attention until you mentioned in the atrix thread.

juhde
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Awesome, thanks for this. I've seen this thread, but didn't pay attention until you mentioned in the atrix thread.

You're welcome, apparently it's also a big hit with people that use extended batteries too. I've heard it gives them correct battery reporting after doing it when nothing else would.

CoolRaul
11-12-2011, 11:10 PM
My Dad just bought an extended battery and I'm calibrating it tonight. I drained it, and now charging it full while off. I was planning to boot it up next, run battery calibrate (rooted here), drain it again, then full charge while off again (and run battery calibrate again).Would it be a good idea to do this trick (what the op described) the two times I reach full charge during the process I described above? Our maybe just do it a few days later? Thanks.

juhde
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
My Dad just bought an extended battery and I'm calibrating it tonight. I drained it, and now charging it full while off. I was planning to boot it up next, run battery calibrate (rooted here), drain it again, then full charge while off again (and run battery calibrate again).Would it be a good idea to do this trick (what the op described) the two times I reach full charge during the process I described above? Our maybe just do it a few days later? Thanks.

In my opinion you only need to follow the instructions in the op and only once in order to get a correct reading.

Doing it twice likely won't make a difference nor will draining it after calibrating. I get great results as long as I'm at 20% or lower when I start the first recharge prior to the battery pull.

CoolRaul
11-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks! Going to try this on my bionic too.

DROIDX2n00b
12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
My Droid X2 is rooted. Can you tell me how to boot into custom recovery? [I'm trying to calibrate a new extended battery]

l3l4ck0ut
12-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Its different wit our fones than most others. U need tenfars bootstrap recovery. Its on this forum to dl. U install. Click install recovery and let it get su permission wen it ask. With it plugged into WALL charger, hit recovery mode.

Sent from my rooted n ROM'ed Droid X2 using Droid X2 Forums

The persuader
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the Information...
May I ask what your Battery Life is Using the Phone...Idle Time Not Included...

That said, what is your Battery Life for Heavy usage...Meaning Emails, Phone, Messaging, Web Search, forwarding Attachments, Scan sheets then emails... Etc...

By the time I get to 2:30 my Battery is saying "Good Night Bubba" Ive done what you mentioned...But I Do Not use Idle Time as Battery usage B-Cuz it would use less "For Sure"

By the way that is an Awesome Process to get the Max from your Battery...

Chow
Its Bubba

Lately I've noticed my battery% was only going to 95% at a full charge and no higher, despite wiping battery stats multiple times I couldn't seem to find a way to get it fully charged.

Well my friends I finally found the answer.

First charge until Android says your battery is full and to unplug your device.

Next unplug and power down the X2.

From a powered off state, plug in to the wall charger. This should boot the phone into charge mode, you should see a large battery icon and it should say that it's 100% and have a check mark.

Once you're at this point, leaving the X2 plugged in, remove the battery door and the battery. The X2 should reboot once again into charge mode, but this time the large battery icon should be empty and a question mark in the middle of it.

Now reinsert the battery and reattach the battery door, the onscreen icon should change to 5%, leave it plugged in and charging until it reads 100%. It should only take about 10 minutes. Now press and hold the power button until the phone starts to boot up.

If you're not rooted unplug the phone and then your work is done, treat yourself to a popsicle for a job well done. However, rooted users may choose to perform an additional step. If so continue reading.

Once it's finished booting use System Recovery to boot into custom recovery and wipe battery stats. You'll find this option under Advanced. After doing so, go back to the main menu, unplug and choose reboot into Android. Now go get one of those popsicles those non root types are already enjoying.

Hope this has helped someone.

Cheers!

juhde
01-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Depending on my ROM, about 4-5 hours of non stop use.

This is with a X2 mind you.

Edit: standard battery too

shushine4nep2ne
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
but when i plug in phone it goes straight to bootstrap recovery ??? i can only get that battery screen before i have any recovery installed... should i use usb charger to keep recovery from booting?

shushine4nep2ne
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
my bad... i guessed that about as soon as i posted then confirmed it in the middle of this thread. "charge mode" i remember getting stuck here b4. when i first used bsr and having to do a battery pull just to get my phone back on. Do i just wait for it to turn back on from charge mode? dont see the battery charging graphic. thx agin. will give it a try. been forever since i tried the charge mode anyway. normally just plug in to the wall and hit shut down to get into recovery...

bl4met
08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Anyone try this running CM9? I got as far as wiping the battery stats and rebooted now I'm stuck at the Moto screen and can get farther. I can make it to the stock recovery but I cant get past.

GoCliffGo05
08-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Bl4met i'm assuming you meant you wiped battery stats from within BSR--> advanced? Do you have the cm7 patched bsr installed?

bl4met
08-17-2012, 04:32 PM
That is where i wiped from. Now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure if I did have the cm7 patched bsr installed. I'm guessing that if I didn't that is probably my problem then?

GoCliffGo05
08-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Its likely yes. Still can't get your phone past the red m? Have you pulled battery?

Edit: if you can't get it to boot try wiping cache partition from stock recovery. If that doesn't work try and data/factory reset. If that doesn't work however a sbf may be in order.

bl4met
08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
I've pulled the battery, I've rebooted the phone from the stock recovery menu, I've tried powering it on plugged into the wall with no battery, I've tried booting from "Boot Android (No BP)" which i had to do a couple times in cm7 then reboot to get a network connection. Basically I've tried every possible way of booting the phone that I can think of. This will teach me to try these things at work when I cannot fix them promptly! If I have to start over again then I will but I was hoping there was something that I was missing.

GoCliffGo05
08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately it sounds like you will have to sbf if the data/wipe didn't help you. Did you happen to make any nandroid back ups before you tried the battery calibration?

bl4met
08-17-2012, 05:14 PM
I did not. I really need to start thinking ahead on these things. Thankfully though, I still have everything I need to sbf and reload cm9 sitting at home.

GoCliffGo05
08-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Great. Just remember to install the patched BSR once you are on CM9 and backups are your friend. Ideally you should make a backup before and after any major changes to your phone. Just note that backups take up a lot of space so you will have to manually keep track of them and delete the obsolete ones.