PDA

View Full Version : On a mission to remove bloatware...maybe the best way is with a rom??

GunJam
09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Hello

I am running Droid X GB .602 (the 2 part update if that matters) and I wanted to streamline the phone as much as possible to get the best performance and least amount of garbage to crap up the system and my apps page.

I was looking at all the options and someone just suggested downloading a rom to get rid of all the bloatware.. Sounded like a good idea to me.

The question is now what rom to get.

Shuji 2.1 with the sky net theme really appeals to me at least in the looks department it also seems to have quite a few performance enhancing mods.

CM7 looked cool too because i suspect it may be faster than shuji 2.1

So I dont have cell phone service I use my DX for wifi and running apps it suites me just fine but I sill like it to be kickass!

Which of these Roms is the cleanest in terms of having the minimal number of uselss apps like skype, NFS, Madden nfl, and the long list of the rest of the junk? I suspect they maybe both "barebones" in that sense.

How much faster is CM7?....I dont think I want CM7 because i heard the camera does not function...is this still true?

Thanks

-Gun

crazychkn
09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
You can also download titanium backup since you are rooted and just "freeze" the apps you don't want

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

GunJam
09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes I have the free version of TiBackup...its very cool

Aren't both of these roms suppose to be an improvement over gb .602 in terms of performance? I should still end up faster using either of these two right?

crazychkn
09-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes they both perform better. I prefer cm7. Its lighting compared to other roms.

Apex had better battery life though.

Any aosp rom like those will remove all bloatware

GunJam
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
is the battery life in cm7 less than the battery life with stock gb .602?

Darn...I think I might have to try them both...eachone for a week...

crazychkn
09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I never used the rooted .602
And I typically use my phone from bout 8-11 every day, and will have like 10-15% left when I get home at night.

On apex I could go two full days without charging and be fine.

Cm7 is a LOT faster than apex tho IMO. That's why I switched.

You just gotta try each one out for like a week and make your own decision. Its super easy to go back and forth. I change roms quite frequently.

GunJam
09-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep I think thats a good idea.

To switch between roms i plan to use this method:

1) use droid 2 bootstrap to make a full backup of my phone just like it is now

2) use Tibackup to backup all my apps

3) install a rom using droid 2 bootstrap, re download tibackup and then restore my apps

4) use droid 2 bootstrap to load the last fullbackup I made to remove the rom and get me back to where I am now.

Sound about right?

crazychkn
09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
If they are on the same kernel you can do that.

Be careful tho because some roms have Droid 2 bootstrap built into them and if you try installing the AP and running it, you will mess up your phone and have to sbf.

GunJam
09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
CM7 uses the froyo kernel...So ill start wtih shuji 2.1

now I just have to figure out if shuji 2.1 has the droid 2 bootstrap built in...I think it might it has some features to wipe cache without booting into droid 2 bootstrap...

I wonder if droid 2 bootstrap is going to mess with this rom?

crazychkn
09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
There are two cm7 oleomargarine right now. One for each kernel. They are about to merge them to both be on the gingerbread kernel tho in the next week or so

GunJam
09-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Thats good to know ill wait on cm7 until then!

I have shuji 2.1 running now its very cool!

savagerun
09-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Thats good to know ill wait on cm7 until then!

I have shuji 2.1 running now its very cool!

Hey Gunjam your making me laugh you just rooted your DX yesterday and your already flashing custom roms! Good for you. Its an addiction once you start. Have you tried any of the launchers yet? If not give them a try. Theres launcher pro, go launcher and Adw launcher just to name a few. Im using launcher pro now but have tried others also. In the settings you can really speed up going thru your screens along with other options to make things move faster. Best part most of the launchers are free so if haven't yet go ahead and check them out. Have a good one...

zoe
09-09-2011, 01:39 AM
ha ha +1 to what savagerun said...
once you start flashing roms it gets addictive

just make sure you read up a bit before striking out too far...

it's also a good idea to read up on how to sbf (1kds cd method is great), hopefully you won't need it but it's way better to be prepared just in case...

still, we got your back...

(____((_________::: ~~~

Like_A_Boss57
09-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Hey Gunjam your making me laugh you just rooted your DX yesterday and your already flashing custom roms! Good for you. Its an addiction once you start. Have you tried any of the launchers yet? If not give them a try. Theres launcher pro, go launcher and Adw launcher just to name a few. Im using launcher pro now but have tried others also. In the settings you can really speed up going thru your screens along with other options to make things move faster. Best part most of the launchers are free so if haven't yet go ahead and check them out. Have a good one...

Haha I was the same way. I was only rooted for about 2 days before I flashed Apex.

Shuji 2.1 comes with a modified version of ADW.

I am running Shuji 2.1 as well with the Skynet theme...love it!

Just like everybody else has said, flashing gets addicting extremely fast haha. I haven't been a member of this site for very long, but this forum is the only reason I rooted my phone to begin with...I never even thought about flashing ROM's or anything like that beforehand. Sure enough, a week or so after I joined I rooted my phone, and 2 days later I am on a different ROM haha. Just like zoe said, make sure you know how to SBF your device if you need it in the future. If you want to run most of the 2nd init ROMs like CM7 you will have to SBF back to Froyo. At least until those ROMs are available on GB.

GunJam
09-09-2011, 10:17 AM
All this stuff is pretty cool and Im trying it out now because I have very little data on my phone so its no loss if I screw up something bad. generally my mentality is to try out the few best options and then pick one, learn it well and stick with it as opposed to switching all the time and not knowing what the hell im doing.

I plan to stick with this shuji 2.1 until CM (8 maybe or whatever) is available for the .602 kernel...theres no point in getting CM7 when a major update is pending.

Is there a user manual for shuji 2.1 w sky net? I would like to be able to read about the features and how to do a bunch of stuff.

I really need to RTFM but I cant find one.

-Gun

EDIT: shuji did totally uncrap the phone its about as far for verizon as possible I love it!! Also a noticeable improvement in speed.