PDA

View Full Version : ApeX vs. Shuji

Chew DZ
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
What do you think is better? I never tried Shuji .

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

popcenator
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
IMO, they're pretty much equal. More themes for Shuji, that's pretty much the only difference..performance wise.

Carpetman
09-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't know which is better for anyone else but I have been on Shuji and wanted to try the battery life. Right now I'm on 21 & 1/2 hrs and still have 40%. Of course part of this was overnight but it still looks pretty good to me.

qdtphotog
09-08-2011, 11:04 AM
IMO, they're pretty much equal. More themes for Shuji, that's pretty much the only difference..performance wise.

Where can you get more themes for Shuji? I've googled but only found 3 or so.

popcenator
09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I got mine from here DroidModderX -[ROM] Shuji ROM 2.1 / DX based on .602 9/02/11
(http://droidmodderx.com/rom-shuji-rom-2-0-dx-based-on-602-82311/)
I'm running Aoiro and loving it.

Arak-Nafein
09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't know which is better for anyone else but I have been on Shuji and wanted to try the battery life. Right now I'm on 21 & 1/2 hrs and still have 40%. Of course part of this was overnight but it still looks pretty good to me.

My battery life on DSX shows 3 Days, 9 Hours with 5% left. :D

Ha, I'm just playing, that's with an extended battery. :P

theronleep
09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Shuji pertty much the same more themes on shuji though. Personally skynet has become aware.

PARick
09-08-2011, 01:13 PM
First, let me predicate what I am about to say with the ususal "everyone's phone runs different".. I have run both ROMs. For me (and I emphasize me) Apex has been vastly superior. I have found it to be much smoother, faster and way better battery life. Also, I use SPB Shell. Apex works better with it than it did at stock. Moderate battery usage is 3% per half hour. On Shuji I was getting 10% per hour. Now, themes do not play any part in my decision as I use SPB. The only thing I dislike about Apex is there is nothing better out there, and I love flashing new ROMs! :excited:

qdtphotog
09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
I got mine from here DroidModderX -[ROM] Shuji ROM 2.1 / DX based on .602 9/02/11
(http://droidmodderx.com/rom-shuji-rom-2-0-dx-based-on-602-82311/)
I'm running Aoiro and loving it.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

phantomworks
09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I have tried both roms and Apes rc3 feels smoother to me.

Like_A_Boss57
09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I was on Apex for about a week and I have been on Shuji 2.1 for about a week now and I can say I like Shuji more. I have been getting better battery life with the same amount of usage and I am a fan of the larger number of themes. I also like the modified ADW launcher more than the Launcher2 on Apex. I think Apex ran slightly smoother, but not enough to make a difference. Both are excellent for battery life and run very smoothly and stable...its all personal preference in my opinion. Try both of them out and stick with the one you like the most.

Magic Rat
09-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Have read that bluetooth isn't very good with either. How bad is it? Also, can I do an advanced restore of data only of a 602 based nandroid without causing problems?

corki2
09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I have used both with no BT issues. After each ROM I flashed I was able to nandroid back to 602 OTA which I had rooted and deodexed prior to flashing any ROMs. Shiji does have some really nice themes.

Magic Rat
09-08-2011, 11:34 PM
What I meant was if I install Apex or Shuji can I restore user data via a nandroid advanced restore of data only rather than setting up everything manually? the installation instructions aren't clear on this point.

corki2
09-08-2011, 11:41 PM
What I meant was if I install Apex or Shuji can I restore user data via a nandroid advanced restore of data only rather than setting up everything manually? the installation instructions aren't clear on this point.

When I restore my nandroid through Droid 2 Bootstrapper my phone is exactly as it was before I flashed a ROM. It restores all my programs and settings. I don't know anything about nandroid advanced restore.

savagerun
09-09-2011, 12:08 AM

If your just updating to a newer version of the same rom i would say yes its ok but if your restoring nandroid user data from one rom on a totally different rom i would say not to. You can use titanium backup to restore user app/data on a different rom.

Like_A_Boss57
09-09-2011, 01:44 AM
If your just updating to a newer version of the same rom i would say yes its ok but if your restoring nandroid user data from one rom on a totally different rom i would say not to. You can use titanium backup to restore user app/data on a different rom.

Correct, but make sure you don't restore any SYSTEM data. Only applications and application data. Restoring system data may result in a force closes and a couple other issues. I accidentally did it after I flashed my very first rom and ended up having to do a wipe of everything and reflash the ROM (which was Apex) and then make sure to only restore applications and app data. Everything went very smoothly after that.

As far as your contacts and whatnot, just sync them to your gmail account and you can restore them after you flash. For general settings such as ringers you have selected for notifications and whatnot, I don't know of a way to backup and restore them. I just go back and reset everything the way I want which usually takes about an hour or so because I do a lot of tinkering, then I do a nandroid backup of the ROM. Right now I only have 3 nandroid backups. One of stock rooted .602 GB, one of Apex 2.0.0 RC3, and one of Shuji 2.1. If I want to go back to one of those, I just restore the nandroid and I am on my way. If I want to change the look of the ROM all I have to do is wipe cache and flash a different theme for that ROM and I'm done...takes 30 seconds.

crewchief41
09-09-2011, 06:51 AM
I was on Apex for about a week and I have been on Shuji 2.1 for about a week now and I can say I like Shuji more. I have been getting better battery life with the same amount of usage and I am a fan of the larger number of themes. I also like the modified ADW launcher more than the Launcher2 on Apex. I think Apex ran slightly smoother, but not enough to make a difference. Both are excellent for battery life and run very smoothly and stable...its all personal preference in my opinion. Try both of them out and stick with the one you like the most.

I agree....try both. I settled on Shuji too.

DebianDog
09-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Shuji IS based on an Apex build so I really doubt (other than themes and some minor tweaks) there is really much difference

I ran both for a while then settled back on Shuji being i could not find much difference other than themes available.

I will not speak for mobile_sensei, the dev for Shuji, but I think he focuses more on the look of the ROM and the themes for it.

Like_A_Boss57
09-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Yea they are both excellent and run extremely smooth, fast and get great battery life...so no matter which one you decide to settle on it will be a good choice! lol

DrifterX
09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Was on Apex, tried Shuji and had issues dl apps from the market. Kept saying error with sd card, not enough space to dl app. Even though I had plenty.
I was on Shuji for maybe only 20mins, so I can't really knock it. Didn't have time to research issue, so went back to Apex. Both looked very similar in appearance. The minute I loaded Shuji up..i was like wth! Went into settings, check "about phone"...to make sure I wasn't on Apex anymore.lol
I see that Shuji has more themes. But personally with GO launcher and on Apex, it's almost the same deal.Find some GO launcher theme I like, then apply.
If not that market app dl'ing issue, I would've played with Shuji longer....maybe this weekend, I'll give it another go.

martian_dx11
09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
When I was running shuji I had the same problem with market. I couldn't download any apps!!! Now I'm on SSX but the battery life is terrible. If it weren't for the market error I would've stayed with shuji...I got great battery life from it. Does Apex have the same market problem?

Was on Apex, tried Shuji and had issues dl apps from the market. Kept saying error with sd card, not enough space to dl app. Even though I had plenty.
I was on Shuji for maybe only 20mins, so I can't really knock it. Didn't have time to research issue, so went back to Apex. Both looked very similar in appearance. The minute I loaded Shuji up..i was like wth! Went into settings, check "about phone"...to make sure I wasn't on Apex anymore.lol
I see that Shuji has more themes. But personally with GO launcher and on Apex, it's almost the same deal.Find some GO launcher theme I like, then apply.
If not that market app dl'ing issue, I would've played with Shuji longer....maybe this weekend, I'll give it another go.

DrifterX
09-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Apex runs very smooth for me. No problems with market dl's. But overall Apex has always been one of my favs since froyo. Stable, pretty good battery life, and fast...
Apex isn't as flashy as other roms. But I really love the stability. I've been getting roughly 10-14hrs with moderate to heavy use...i'm practically on fb all day.lol
I'm sure if I gave Shuji more time..I'd like it just as much. Cool boot animation... Maybe someone can help with dl'ing app & sd card issues from the market.

Magic Rat
09-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Am trying Shuji now. I had to find the Swype Beta (a MUST have for me) so we shall see how it goes.

martian_dx11
09-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I might try Apex this weekend and see if I like it and hopefully I won't have problem with the market. I really liked shuji so we'll see.

chibigoku04
09-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Don't know how old this is, didn't pay attention to the date, but I just wanted to say that I'm using Shuji 2.1 on my Droid X and I ran into the same app downloading problem as mentioned here. I was able to correct it by clearing my cache (found this somewhere else, don't remember where).

Just wanted to share my findings so other people can try out Shuji as well.

kingkermit
09-11-2011, 01:36 AM
!t4

as_daylight_dies
09-11-2011, 06:52 AM
!t4

Drunk much?

~Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.9.9