PDA

View Full Version : [BLOG UPDATE] by cvpcs; DX gets new kernel!

macpro88
09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
cvpcs has posted a new blog!

Official DX kernel update on the horizon (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-09-04/official_dx_kernel_update_on_the_horizon)

Long story short, DX will get the new kernel integrated into official CM7 nightlies sometime in next couple of weeks.

The best part? Just stay on your current nightly and update as usual! That's right, no SBF!

More details in the blog! Make sure to read!

Enjoy :)

popcenator
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Very good news!

on the move..

macpro88
09-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Very good news!

on the move..

MIUI may be next? Awesomeness...

popcenator
09-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Oh what awaits us...very excited!

on the move..

macpro88
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Psssttt.... who needs unlocked bootloaders ;) lol over rated if you ask me ;) lol

Brad92
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
That's awesome. Now if there could be a file that could be installed to allow HDMI on AOSP ROMs, I would be a happy guy and back on CM7 right now!

random rom'd X

Bkdodger
09-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Awesome news ..we love great news..

Sent from elGato's X..
"I will not flash today...I will not flash tonight ..oh who am I kidding...."

TideFan22
09-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Thats good news that itll be official soon, revnumbers has done an awesome job on his unofficial nightlies, hopefully ssx and miui will follow shortly

Sent from CM7 on the GB kernel

crazychkn
09-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Does this mean that it will no longer be a 2nd init rom and that it will sit on the gb kernel without the workaround?

Also does it mean better battery life?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Leach19m
09-03-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd-init doesn't have anything to do with the kernal

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

crazychkn
09-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what does the kernel change then?

Leach19m
09-03-2011, 08:16 PM
The kernal that shipped with gb should give better battery life and performance.

The common mistake is to label it a froyo or gingerbread kernal; the kernal really doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the system number, it's just the base its built on

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

macpro88
09-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what does the kernel change then?

The kernal that shipped with gb should give better battery life and performance.

The common mistake is to label it a froyo or gingerbread kernal; the kernal really doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the system number, it's just the base its built on

+1

Think of it as the kernel used in Froyo, kernel used in Gingerbread, etc... while being on the Motorola software builds. The 2nd-INIT hack just happened to work great on the older kernel. The newer kernel is a bit more difficult, but has finally been working with the 2nd-INIT process.

Please read this, its a good read and will explain how it works: 2nd-INIT (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works)

Having the newer kernel would mean better battery life and other options that it offers including better performance, like better memory management and better CPU control. Hopefully the battery life will be just as good as stock .602 or Apex or Shuji.

Nemo aeternamn
09-03-2011, 09:57 PM
I've been rockin the ginger kernel cm7... Can't wait to get on the offal nightlies again... Been getting better battery... Been running really fast and stabile... Excited to see the fun cvpcs has in store
We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

TideFan22
09-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I've been rockin the ginger kernel cm7... Can't wait to get on the offal nightlies again... Been getting better battery... Been running really fast and stabile... Excited to see the fun cvpcs has in store

I second that

Sent from CM7 on the GB kernel

JSM9872
09-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Wow dont know how I missed this. Always a good read when he blogs something.

Very excited to have CM7 GB officials so everything else can follow.

macpro88
09-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow dont know how I missed this. Always a good read when he blogs something.

Very excited to have CM7 GB officials so everything else can follow.

Follow him on twitter, and you won't miss a blog lol. I love his writings as well, good blogger, and always exciting when he writes about the DX lol.

crazychkn
09-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I got another question then. With the new kernel and update will the camera and camcorder finally work without having to flash the fix everytime?

JSM9872
09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Follow him on twitter, and you won't miss a blog lol. I love his writings as well, good blogger, and always exciting when he writes about the DX lol.

Haha twitter what's that lol.

Yeah I need to add more people to follow on there. I only started one to follow devs etc. Now I need to actually follow them for it to help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JSM9872
09-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I got another question then. With the new kernel and update will the camera and camcorder finally work without having to flash the fix everytime?

I am pretty sure you still need the fix at this point. If anything there will probably be more issues at first while they try to work out the new kernel.

crazychkn
09-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I am pretty sure you still need the fix at this point. If anything there will probably be more issues at first while they try to work out the new kernel.

Aren't they already doing that on a separate beta

Nemo aeternamn
09-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes we are... Rev is the one putting out the current cm7 gb nightlies

JSM9872
09-04-2011, 11:55 AM

I am not 100% on what you mean.

Sorry If I caused some confusion for you. What I meant was that development on the cm7 official nightlies is further along so we MAY see more issues in the unofficials/cm7-gb nightlies, for me they are great so far.

cynkrzy
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
cvpcs has posted a new blog!

Official DX kernel update on the horizon (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-09-04/official_dx_kernel_update_on_the_horizon)

Long story short, DX will get the new kernel integrated into official CM7 nightlies sometime in next couple of weeks.

The best part? Just stay on your current nightly and update as usual! That's right, no SBF!

More details in the blog! Make sure to read!

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the heads up. This dude is quite talented

BHuber09
09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
This is awesome
I just hope Miui liquid and ssx are quick to follow haha

FreeMyMoto!!!

JSM9872
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
This is awesome
I just hope Miui liquid and ssx are quick to follow haha

FreeMyMoto!!!

I am hoping for the same thing. Since they pull from the nightlies to do their builds I would think it will once they become official. Would love to just be on gb and flash around instead of jumping back and forth.

BHuber09
09-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Exactly
I have 2 SD cards 1 froyo 1 GB just to keep everything straight
Once it gets to GB its gonna be a pain to get back on Miui haha

FreeMyMoto!!!

chuck54
09-04-2011, 03:00 PM
So lets say I'm on stock froyo. I know this might be unknown for the moment but lets say i go to a second init ROM (miui) then to a 2nd init on the gb kernel (cm4dxgb), then to shuji. Can I got back to cm4dxgb on 2nd init and then to miui then froyo stock again?

You thought you were once a bad noob? You haven't thought about me..... (haha)

macpro88
09-04-2011, 03:45 PM
So lets say I'm on stock froyo. I know this might be unknown for the moment but lets say i go to a second init ROM (miui) then to a 2nd init on the gb kernel (cm4dxgb), then to shuji. Can I got back to cm4dxgb on 2nd init and then to miui then froyo stock again?

Probably not with out an SBF and/or update to .602. You can only go back and forth when on the same kernel. When all 2nd-INIT ROMs are on the new kernel then yes you should ne able to go back and forth. As long as your not trying to go back to a .340 ROM.

[Insert mobile sig here]

chuck54
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
So anything new on this?

gbrinn
09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Probably be out on nightlies next week, as official releases.

zoe
09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I am not 100% on what you mean.

Sorry If I caused some confusion for you. What I meant was that development on the cm7 official nightlies is further along so we MAY see more issues in the unofficials/cm7-gb nightlies, for me they are great so far.

3 days later...

rev builds his nightlies from the official tree, so we should actually see less issues if things go according to plan...

he adds his fixes to what gets put out, but because they are un-official he can hack/cobble together more things if he wants

end result is that the end user can get even more goodness if they so choose, but it doesn't affect those who don't want it either

(____((_________::: ~~~

JSM9872
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM
3 days later...

rev builds his nightlies from the official tree, so we should actually see less issues if things go according to plan...

he adds his fixes to what gets put out, but because they are un-official he can hack/cobble together more things if he wants

end result is that the end user can get even more goodness if they so choose, but it doesn't affect those who don't want it either

True story. He can slam more fixes in faster. The statement you quoted by me was a blanket statement and caused some confusion in here, probably due to my lack of explaining precisely what I meant. Moving to the different kernel had the possibility of causing some instabilities in areas where there had not prior been, hence the "MAY". The thread still says dont flash unless you can help fix the bugs. I have been running them and dont have issues except little quirks from time to time, as with any custom ROM. He has done an exemplary job and should be commended.

gbrinn
09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
True story. He can slam more fixes in faster. The statement you quoted by me was a blanket statement and caused some confusion in here, probably due to my lack of explaining precisely what I meant. Moving to the different kernel had the possibility of causing some instabilities in areas where there had not prior been, hence the "MAY". The thread still says dont flash unless you can help fix the bugs. I have been running them and dont have issues except little quirks from time to time, as with any custom ROM. He has done an exemplary job and should be commended.

I ignored the warning and installed, just to see what the fuss was all about. I haven't had any issues except for those of my own making/ignorance. I've got it set up exactly how I want, without the limitations of the Moto stock and I'm loving it.

JSM9872
09-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I ignored the warning and installed, just to see what the fuss was all about. I haven't had any issues except for those of my own making/ignorance. I've got it set up exactly how I want, without the limitations of the Moto stock and I'm loving it.

Same here. Running very well and loving it.

chuck54
09-07-2011, 10:27 PM
So what are even minor issues, if any?

zoe
09-08-2011, 12:46 AM
i installed it a couple of weeks ago and haven't had any issues beyond the known ones. oddly enough i used the tbh aio coming from cm7 and here and other forums ppl reported all manger of fail doing it that way, they ended up going the two part pre rooted or sbf'd, took the ota and then rooted that

battery life is def. improved, but only when i put the phone down long enough

gbrinn
09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
lol

I've had some strange, unexplicable drops in battery life during periods when I'm not using the phone, but not any worse than what I was getting on .602 or DSX.

zoe
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
cvpcs just tweeted update is temp. delayed sure to illness... soon though

gbrinn
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Who authorized him for sick time? lol

chuck54
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM
So let's say next weekend (not this one) this would be out for public use? I'm sooo excited for better battery life! And will anything new be added?

gbrinn
09-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Hopefully, but I guess it depends on how long cvpcs is/was out of action.