PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here?

JimWest
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
OK I am new to phone hacking. I have figured some things out, but I have hit a spot that I'm too unsure to proceed. So I need some guidance/advice. I will try to provide all information in this first post (so I will probably include stuff that you don't need), but I am not sure what all information is relevant to my question, so feel free to ask for anything I omit.

I got my Droid X on release day and have loved it ever since; that is until this recent update. It seems that I am not the only one who is having problems with, or just doesn't like, this newest update. So, I am trying to accomplish two things; find a way to NOT have to use this (what I think is being called) Gingerbread and to gain the capability of un-monitored wifi-tethering. The second, I have figured out. But the first is still confusing me.

Now the phone information:
System Version - 4.5.602.MB810.
Android Version - 2.3.3
Build Number - 4.5.1_57_DX5-32

Rooted using Droid 3 Easy Root script v7
Downloaded Droid 2 Bootstrap (Droid X Bootstrap didn't work for me)
Flashed WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch_1.0 (just including this to make sure I don't miss an important step)
Backed up app data and system data with Titanium Backup
Backed up EVERYTHING with Droid 2 Boostrap

That's where I am now. With the version that I am using, I can't seem to figure out what my options are, for NOT having to keep using Gingerbread. I didn't mind the Froyo that came on the phone when I got it, so going back to that wouldn't be a bad thing, but it kind of seems like that would be a pain to SBK it and then have to re-root, and flash the wifi patch again.

So, I started looking into ROMs, but that's where I get more confused. Can I flash a ROM from the state that the phone is in now? Or do I have to SBK it back to Froyo, re-root, and then flash the ROM? Are there ROMs that would work from here? If so, can you suggest some for me to look at?

Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Nemo aeternamn
08-31-2011, 02:53 PM
You can flash right from where you are... Read up on shuji 2.0 I believe along with apex rc3 they are both a couple of great roms built off of the build you are on... So ask you'll need to do is some wiping then flash.. Then restore your data with tibu... Just remember boot to restore system data... Or your phone won't be happy... Any other questions feel free to ask

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

DebianDog
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
The easiest way to "try" new ROMs is pick a version lets say .602 AKA system version 4.5.602

Get root on on 602 then make a nandroid backup, via recovery menu, of your "good" ROM then you can flip around to any 602 based ROM by simply restoring the 602 then applying the 602 based ZIP to it.

I personally only use Ti backup to restore user level apps or system apps missing (that I want) to of other ROMs. Never to restore back to "good".

JimWest
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
OK just to make sure I am following, a couple of questions from your suggestions (by the way, thanx, again).

1. I need to stick to ROMs built off of the same system version that I currently have (.602 in this case)?
2. "Just remember boot to restore system data..." - not sure what this is. Can you explain this a little further?
3. " make a nandroid backup, via recovery menu, of your "good" ROM" - does this not equate to "Backed up EVERYTHING with Droid 2 Boostrap" or is there another step that I should know about?

I really appreciate the help.

Nemo aeternamn
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
1. ya... it's best to stick with builds with your current version... you can also do roms that are based off of builds... however at best it will down grade your system to that... or it's likely cause an sbf condition...
2. what this one is... is going into clockwork/bootstrap then navigate to back up and restore then advanced restore then choose "data.img"
3. a nandroid is reffering to the backup you already made with bootstrap...

DebianDog
08-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes
I think he means that if you restore syem apps you need to boot to have them take effect correctly
a nandroid backup or backup via bootstrap/recovery is the same thing. Think of this a a Norton Ghost image or an exact copy of your phone as it sits

You should be all set to screw thing up now ;) We have all been there trust me just DON'T PANIC. be patient on bootups it can take up to 7 mins sometimes for new ROMs.

JimWest
08-31-2011, 05:02 PM
You should be all set to screw thing up now ;)

You have NO IDEA lol. Thanx again. I am trying to pick a ROM to try now, and then I am going to take the plunge.

DebianDog
08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
I would say Shuji or Apex. Shuji is pretty solid. I loaded it just to see it and decided to keep it for now. It has like 4 or 5 themes you can apply too.

Nemo aeternamn
08-31-2011, 05:14 PM
just reread through this thread.. .and where i said boot to restore system data... i guess my swyping was talking for me... and what i actually meant was... DON'T restore data from tibu... if you do... your phone wont be happy... sorry for that

JimWest
08-31-2011, 11:23 PM
OK, I've finished my first (somewhat-successful) ROM flash. My only problem seems to be that I cant get the Google Apps back. I have flashed gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip but that didn't do it and since then the market doesn't work (not sure if it did before that, I didn't try it). I have done more searching in the forums here and in the Droid X ROMS section, and I am not finding anything (that I can tell) that explains what I missed.

Getting "Sorry! The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." error when I boot the phone and when I try to access the application.

Any suggestions?

Nemo aeternamn
08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
which rom did you flash?

have you tried going into setting/applications/manage aplications/all and clear data for market?

C Dippa
08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Try fixing permissions with ROM manager...download from market if you don't have it, open, and scroll down and select Fix Permissions...

See if that fixes the force closes.

JimWest
08-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I meant to include that in my post. I am using Shuji 2.0.

I had not cleared the Market cache until you suggested it. I have now and rebooted. But it's still doing the same thing.

Should the market push all the google apps to the phone or shouldn't gapps have done that?

Nemo aeternamn
08-31-2011, 11:56 PM
no... gapps wont do that... but that could be your problem... as... well... as far as i know... the gapps file are meant for aosp roms like miui, cm7, ssx... etc...
like dippa said.... try fixing permissions... and see if that will help...
if it doesn't... the only think i can think of.... is to download the market apk... then uninstall then reinstall... but we'll hold off on that for now...

JimWest
09-01-2011, 12:15 AM
OK ran the fix permissions and rebooted. Still a no-go.

Nemo, so gapps doesn't do that or it doesn't work on this ROM? Or both?

Nemo aeternamn
09-01-2011, 12:30 AM
both... shuji is blurless rom... which means it has the blur removed... but it's still based on the motorizion framework... and the gapps file is meant for aosp roms.. because of the corporate crap... roms like cm7 which are based off of the android project... which is what verizola bases their builds off of... cm7 can't have the google apps... so when you install the gapps file... it installs the market... then you can choose to install google apps such as voice search, maps, gmail and such...
so that's all gapps is... it's a handful of googles actual apps

JimWest
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM
OK so I probably borked the thing when I flashed the gapps, then?

I guess I am starting over? I can revert back to my backup from before I flashed the ROM, reflash the ROM, and start over again.

Unless anyone has another suggestion?

Nemo aeternamn
09-01-2011, 12:43 AM
if your planning on doing that...
before you do it... redownload the market apk... then uninstall the market from your phone.. then use the new apk to install the market... and hopefully that fixes it for ya jim

C Dippa
09-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Reflash Shuji and you should be good...that will replace the system files you flashed.

Sent from my X to the interwebz

JimWest
09-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Took me a bit, but I did figure out how to uninstall the Marketplace. Reinstalled it. All it right with the world now. Downloaded and tested the Google apps that I use. Restarted. Oddly the first time it booted back into recovery mode. That worried me a bit, but rebooted it again and it went back to normal. Now, I have created a Nandroid backup of the way it is now, just in case lol.

I can't thank you guys enough for your help.

Nemo aeternamn
09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Glad to hear everything is zen : D

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer