PDA

View Full Version : CM7 rom kernel question

creamsteve
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
If CM7 roms are based in the Froyo kernel, why are the in the Gingerbread section???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cory46
08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Because they are gingerbread based. The kernel version is insignificant when it comes to cyanogen and the like. You can run custom kernels on it. We can't and Motorola's version if froyo kernel works

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TideFan22
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Cause they are GB they are having to run off the froyo kernel when they were ported to the dx, but cm7 is beta on GB kernal, I'm running it right now, and the others will shortly follow. Ninja'd

Sent from CM7 on the GB kernel

creamsteve
08-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Because they are gingerbread based. The kernel version is insignificant when it comes to cyanogen and the like. You can run custom kernels on it. We can't and Motorola's version if froyo kernel works

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Got it, thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

zoe
08-29-2011, 11:27 AM
also currently running CM4DXGB as well, a few known issues but so far it's good. can't comment on battery life yet as I'm in the process of calibrating, but CM7 definitely belongs in the GB forums either way

sometimes owls are big

macpro88
08-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Look at it this way: its NOT the Froyo kernel, its the kernel that was used IN Froyo. With an unlocked phone, unlike ours, you can stay on the same ROM but flash as many kernels as you want. Kernels are not ROM dependent when you have an unlocked phone. It's just the 2nd-INIT hack happened to work on that specific kernel.

[Insert mobile sig here]