PDA

View Full Version : New Features that you get from rooting?

dx24
08-27-2011, 05:12 PM
New to android. Rooted my droidx2 on 2.2.2 and was wondering if there is anything special i can do besides installing roms and ocing and removing bloatware?

Thanx

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

dAi
08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Block ads from apps

Pull stock wallpapers and redesign it

Use supercharged v6 to make your phone fast!

Tether

Make a real back up

Sent from my DROIDX

dig'em
08-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Add block alone is almost worth it

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

ibleedteal
08-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Whats the best ad blocker for root. I installed AdFree last night and still to seem to be getting ads on apps and my browser. Is there a setting I need to set in AdFree for it to work better?

dx24
08-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Does supercharge v6 use more battery life? Is it in the app store?

Nemo aeternamn
08-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Does supercharge v6 use more battery life? Is it in the app store?

it can... Depending on how you set it... In my case and I believe most cases... No...it will actually use less.. And no it's not...it's over on the xda forums... Just google it....and it shouldn't be to hard to find... It's an awesome script

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

victimssun
08-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Whats the best ad blocker for root. I installed AdFree last night and still to seem to be getting ads on apps and my browser. Is there a setting I need to set in AdFree for it to work better?

Most use adfree. there are some app ads that can't be blocked or the app wouldnt work, ie zynga games, words with friends.

victimssun
08-27-2011, 07:16 PM
it can... Depending on how you set it... In my case and I believe most cases... No...it will actually use less.. And no it's not...it's over on the xda forums... Just google it....and it shouldn't be to hard to find... It's an awesome script

Haha, nemo, we worked that out great! 3 min between our answers

Nemo aeternamn
08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Haha, nemo, we worked that out great! Within 3 min.

Haha... What can I say... I play well with others...well.... Most times I do....lol

1KDS
08-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Click download and install hosts, then reboot

dig'em
08-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Click download and install hosts, then reboot

you may also have to clear cash

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dx24
08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Are there any good apps that can only be used if you have root?
Because on ios jailbreakers had a much wider selection of apps then people that werent jailbreakd

1KDS
08-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Root isn't the same as jailbreak but here is a list:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/1466-apps-your-rooted-droid-x.html

dx24
08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Root isn't the same as jailbreak but here is a list:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/1466-apps-your-rooted-droid-x.html

How is root not the same as jailbreak? Im curious lol

1KDS
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm not an iOS user but AFAIK jailbreaking is usually done to get pirated apps not available from iTunes/Apple. Root has nothing to do with apps. Root is root level system access just like Linux.

dx24
08-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh okay. I thought when you jailbreak ios you get root access

juhde
09-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Jail breaking allows you to run code that isn't signed by apple and has nothing to do with the level of access. Android phones can run unsigned code out of the box.

Rooting a phone gives you superuser access, something that any Linux platform has built in (Android is Linux based) but google removed that access. So when you're rooting your actually re enabling something you're meant to have. On developer phones, rooting is usually just a easy as issuing a single command.

Apple never wanted anyone to run unsigned code on their devices, it was never built in hence it was never removed, it never existed. Jail breaking adds functions that weren't previously there.

To most people, they look like the same thing. Rooting just is not the same as
jail breaking in use and practice. It is a decent comparison when you're trying to explain it to someone new to the phone hacking scene because there are similarities at first glance, but the differences make them stand apart.

Hope that helps!
Cheers

Sent from my Android device.