PDA

View Full Version : SSX 2.2 and Battery Life

ChevyNo1
08-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Doing some testing/tweaking - this is a VERY IDLE phone - but still, look at this!

ChevyNo1
08-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Also I might add before someone else does - no 3G signal because my active phone is my TB - however, this is definitely better than SSX 2.1, same conditions ...

Money Mike
08-24-2011, 11:19 AM
This is very good. I deactivated my x the other day and left it on without touching it. I'm on miui and my phone was at 33% after 16 hours... Not good. Plus that's an extended battery!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

popcenator
08-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Very good to see Chevy, thanks for the preview!

RubberDucker
08-24-2011, 11:47 AM
yeah... I was like... 2.2! Did I miss something? Loving 2.1! Can't wait for 2.2!

HarleyDude
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
LOL, I thought typo, was about to PM the OP to see about fixing it.
Thanks Chevy

Bkdodger
08-24-2011, 11:52 AM
We are looking forward to it..my charger needs a rest ...thank you for promising news ..

Sent from elGato's X..
"I will not flash today...I will not flash tonight ..oh who am I kidding...."

TeeX
08-24-2011, 12:32 PM
2.2??? When please?

very excited, and awesome battery life indication!

JSM9872
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Proof that devs truly never rest. Loving 2.1 but thanks for the teaser :big smile:

Scrapy McSlappy
08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Chevy thats Awesome, I cant wait.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

ChevyNo1
08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
At 34 hrs - still sitting at 86%

Bkdodger
08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Vroommm I like the sound of the engine ...keep the great news coming ...

Sent from elGato's X..
"I will not flash today...I will not flash tonight ..oh who am I kidding...."

TeeX
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
At 34 hrs - still sitting at 86%

that's absurd! Any indication when we can be blessed with the 2.2 awesomebatteryness??

TeeX
08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
hey Chevy- I absolutely am floored with how great my SSX 2.1, but I've also noticed that my battery tends to run a bit hotter. Also it takes forever to lower the temp once it's streamed data, or other process to jack up the temps.

My battery life is still really good, but just thought I'd mention to see if anyone else has noticed this.

snowboardwcu
08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
yeah i saw this. both ssx 2.0 and liquid ran hotter than usual for me. didn't see it as a problem though.

ChevyNo1
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
At 47 hrs - 82% - you'll have to take my word for it, as I screwed it up plugging it in to grab the screenshot, DOH - but I wouldn't lie about this

JSM9872
08-25-2011, 10:27 PM
At 47 hrs - 82% - you'll have to take my word for it, as I screwed it up plugging it in to grab the screenshot, DOH - but I wouldn't lie about this

Way to tamper with the evidence :wink:

rickw
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
chevy,don't make us wait toooooooooo long please

Chipworkz
08-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Great news! My battery is very comparable to GB but the more the better. Problem is, now that you mentioned SSX 2.2, people are going to be asking for it like crazy until you release it. :crazy:

snowboardwcu
08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
chevy - i would not mind being a guinea pig and testing this out to see how it fairs with an activated phone. i work in a building that doesn't get very good reception, and live where there's full bars. nice split.

it seems the radio is what killed the batt for me on 2.0 if you are interested in having some activated testers, i'm in. (not trying to sneak 2.2 early, lol, but i love both ssx and ss)

ChevyNo1
08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
chevy - i would not mind being a guinea pig and testing this out to see how it fairs with an activated phone. i work in a building that doesn't get very good reception, and live where there's full bars. nice split.

it seems the radio is what killed the batt for me on 2.0 if you are interested in having some activated testers, i'm in. (not trying to sneak 2.2 early, lol, but i love both ssx and ss)

Appreciate the offer - but if it's radio that is killing your battery, what I've done will not help - my tweak is only for when the phone is idle, ie. screen off ...

snowboardwcu
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
understood. still a drastic improvement. sounds like 2.2 might give my D1's 5.4 a run for its money in battery life...

on another note, a buddy of mine applied some hack to SSX2.1 after flashing the new .13 radio and he is reporting significant improvements in battery life. def sounds radio related...ill try to track down where the hack came from if you're interested in investigating.

snowboardwcu
08-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Chevy - found the thing he was talking about over at xda - here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739530)

don't know if this is something you area already doing, the thread is dated pretty far back. even back then it was reported working for your ROM, as denoted on the thread. you seen this before? thoughts?

griz.droidx
08-29-2011, 04:17 PM
That is so awesome!. I had CM7 down to losing about 5% every eight hours a while back, posted some screens too.

griz.droidx
08-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Okay I finally remembered why I came to this thread in the first place. I apologize if this was answered elsewhere did a search of this thread and no dice. Has anyone been using any of the morph's for CM7 on this ROM. I am new to theming (not a themer yet, but I'm researching), and morphing. Do the morphs here CM7 Morphs. (http://tinyurl.com/morphscm7) work with SSX2.1? Just wondering. Seem's like I used one, not from that page but from the Mixer theme, and it worked well on either SSX or Liquid. I can't remember. Anywho, I seem to have my SSX straightened out. Time for a nandroid.

Sorry Wrong thread, too many tabs open. maybe a mod and delete it, as I'm gonna post it in the correct thread. My apologies again.

TideFan22
08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Wow can't wait for that good work man

Sent from CM7 on the GB kernel

bpbomber
08-30-2011, 01:25 PM
First off, SSX is flat out awesome. A battery life improvement would be icing on the cake. Idle time is where I most starkly see the difference in my battery drain, having come from a rooted GB ROM.

Chevy, If you're collecting beta testers, I'd love to volunteer!

cobracon71
08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi guys I'm currently on ssx2.1 and looking to go to ssd1 gb 5.5 my internet is down do to the hurricane so I can not properly research this rom... Could someone please give me a run down on what has to be done to install this update as it is always smart to ask instead of being dumb and brick...thanks in advance

JSM9872
08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi guys I'm currently on ssx2.1 and looking to go to ssd1 gb 5.5 my internet is down do to the hurricane so I can not properly research this rom... Could someone please give me a run down on what has to be done to install this update as it is always smart to ask instead of being dumb and brick...thanks in advance

Ssd1 5.5 is for the Droid 1. Ssx is actually the same except its for the Droid x. Chevy has released fewer x versions which is why the lower version number.

Sent from my DROIDX on CM74DX-GB

cobracon71
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Thank you ssd1 duh brain fart

JSM9872
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
No problem! It happens to ALL of us.

Sent from my DROIDX on CM74DX-GB

ChevyNo1
09-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Well, if you all can BELIEVE it - since my last post, 8/25, which was 8.5 days ago from right now - I had not plugged in the X - it was just sitting there, I was not using it .. it JUST DIED.

So, from last full charge, I unplugged (7:02am on 8/24) and it just died at 9:30am on 9/3.

IT LASTED 10 DAYS, 2.5 HRS

How's that for battery life?? Granted, it WAS idle. But that is where I was seeing the most battery drain. This will be built into the next version - basically what this means is if you only used SetCPU for the screen-off profile (where you get the most savings) it is no longer needed :).

Sorry for my absence - been working on another adventure which has monopolized my time - a Windows Skype extension dialer - I use Skype for work and dial conference #'s which require passcodes to be entered after the voice prompt. Skype does not support this, so I wrote an extension :)

TeeX
09-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, if you all can BELIEVE it - since my last post, 8/25, which was 8.5 days ago from right now - I had not plugged in the X - it was just sitting there, I was not using it .. it JUST DIED.

So, from last full charge, I unplugged (7:02am on 8/24) and it just died at 9:30am on 9/3.

IT LASTED 10 DAYS, 2.5 HRS

How's that for battery life?? Granted, it WAS idle. But that is where I was seeing the most battery drain. This will be built into the next version - basically what this means is if you only used SetCPU for the screen-off profile (where you get the most savings) it is no longer needed :).

Sorry for my absence - been working on another adventure which has monopolized my time - a Windows Skype extension dialer - I use Skype for work and dial conference #'s which require passcodes to be entered after the voice prompt. Skype does not support this, so I wrote an extension :)

wow that's incredible!!

any idea when the next version will drop for us? :)

dennyjones
09-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Let me say that your hard work is greatly appreciated. Going now to donate.

Denny from Davison

jwalz
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
That is just simply amazing

I'm just simply stunning

JSM9872
09-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Mine lasted 11 days with use...

Ok you guys caught me, I was kidding. Will be looking forward to it but am loving 2.1 for now. Thanks Chevy!

Sent from my DROIDX on CM4DX

Newber
09-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Okay okay but when Chevy when?

ChevyNo1
09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Let me say that your hard work is greatly appreciated. Going now to donate.

Denny from Davison

Thank you for your support!

As far as 2.2 release - I am now working on making it a post .602 ROM - so that will take some time!

JSM9872
09-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Thank you for your support!

As far as 2.2 release - I am now working on making it a post .602 ROM - so that will take some time!

Do you mean it will flash on the GB leak like the unofficial nightlies by Rev do? Just wondering. Either way I am looking forward to it.

ChevyNo1
09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Do you mean it will flash on the GB leak like the unofficial nightlies by Rev do? Just wondering. Either way I am looking forward to it.

Yes, that is what I meant - however - I might put that off until a future release ... it might delay 2.2 too long

JSM9872
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Yes, that is what I meant - however - I might put that off until a future release ... it might delay 2.2 too long

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info.

Slothly
09-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Although I am dying to test the gingerbread kernel on CM7 nightly I am too in love with the SSX rom to switch and adding the kernel Idea to SSX would put it over the top. I will say though that pushing out 2.2 without it for now might be a good idea. Make 2.3 with the kernel because for now it looks like you have something awesome going for 2.2 and the kernel might mess with it or make it better who knows? All I know is I can't wait for 2.2! I would rather you take your time with the new CM7 with GB leak and make it perfect then to rush 2.2 and have issues! Just my thoughts on it not everyone has to agree! :wink:

griz.droidx
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
What is the ETA on the 2.2 release if anyone knows. I too don't wanna see this guy rushed. His work is awesome.

ChevyNo1
09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey everyone - sorry for my absense as of late - been very busy with other things - but I'm slowly drifting back into the scene - android git being down has been somewhat of an issue, but I've been able to grab the recent CM changes, so I'm building it again ... no ETA yet though!

JSM9872
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone - sorry for my absense as of late - been very busy with other things - but I'm slowly drifting back into the scene - android git being down has been somewhat of an issue, but I've been able to grab the recent CM changes, so I'm building it again ... no ETA yet though!

No worries, we understand. And thanks for the update, looking forward to it.

Burncycle
09-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Eep!!! :D

dennyjones
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Any word on eta for 2.2 release?

ChevyNo1
10-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I am still working on it as a few new features are coming - the biggest two would be 2.2 will be running on the GB kernel, and it will have 1% battery increments :) Still no ETA as I'm making sure the battery stuff is 100% ..

popcenator
10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the updates Chevy, it's always worth the wait.

dennyjones
10-03-2011, 10:41 AM
thanks so much for the quick reply. Amazing.

3club
10-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I am still working on it as a few new features are coming - the biggest two would be 2.2 will be running on the GB kernel, and it will have 1% battery increments :) Still no ETA as I'm making sure the battery stuff is 100% ..
Will that include other GB functions such as Sleep Mode?

Scrapy McSlappy
10-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Your work is well worth the wait. Cant wait to get 2.2 on my phone.

TideFan22
10-04-2011, 12:27 AM

Man I can't wait for that, SSX on the GB kernel= Bad@$$

ⓡⓞⓛⓛ ⓣⓘⓓⓔ ⓡⓞⓛⓛ

Enzymaticracer
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM

I've been flashing Revnumber's various builds of CM7GB, and I have been very impressed with them. Just incase you haven't been following his thread on rootzwiki, he updated his ROM to 2.3.7, and it broke several features; namely the camera, and the battery life for a significant number of people (me included) dropped drastically. I know they may have discovered a fix for the camera, but mums the word on what caused the battery issues. I'm continuing to follow his work closely.

However, knowing that you are getting SSX built off of the GB 2nd init just made my month! I've been seriously missing SSX.

fezrock
10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Chevy- teasing with those twitpics! Wanna flash some 2.2!

ChevyNo1
10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Ha ha thanks for sticking around everyone - you know me, I like to test the hell out of my stuff before I even pass it on to my test group!

Question (I think the answer is yes) - if the battery compartment door is off the DX - it can greatly affect battery life right? Been trying to figure out why my testing has not shown great battery life and realized I had the door off for DAYS!

snowboardwcu
10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Question (I think the answer is yes) - if the battery compartment door is off the DX - it can greatly affect battery life right? Been trying to figure out why my testing has not shown great battery life and realized I had the door off for DAYS!

i've never heard of this. is there something in the HW that causes this? i can confirm that there is a tiny switch that latches when the battery door clicks into place. its just above the SD card. there's a wear mark on the batt door, so i imagine this is some type of sensing for the door.

ChevyNo1
10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
All I know is - without battery door, the new ROM lasted only two days before going dead - nothing changed, I charged it up, put the door back on - now after 22+ hrs, it is still at 93% ...

ChevyNo1
10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Will that include other GB functions such as Sleep Mode?

I don't believe that is in the source code - so it would not be included ... I assume that is in the GB sense rom?

3club
10-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't believe that is in the source code - so it would not be included ... I assume that is in the GB sense rom?
I don't know about "sense". It is in the GB stock rom. Also believe I had it in Apex. Thought it might be common to anything based on .602, but don't know.

snowboardwcu
10-06-2011, 03:07 PM
All I know is - without battery door, the new ROM lasted only two days before going dead - nothing changed, I charged it up, put the door back on - now after 22+ hrs, it is still at 93% ...

i would love to call BS on you, but since you're a reliable guy................

....i'm going to try this tonight, see what happens.

I don't know about "sense". It is in the GB stock rom. Also believe I had it in Apex. Thought it might be common to anything based on .602, but don't know.

i believe sleep mode was introduced back with the first GB leak from moto. its on all the leaks and officials. this is not built into CM7 as far as i know. i honestly dont see a point to it. might as well just turn the phone off....

3club
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM
i believe sleep mode was introduced back with the first GB leak from moto. its on all the leaks and officials. this is not built into CM7 as far as i know. i honestly dont see a point to it. might as well just turn the phone off....
Problem with turning it off is the amount of time it takes to come back on. One example is camping, where I normally have it off, but want to use it for camera. Instant-on from sleep, vs "hold on guys, let me take a picture... wait, it's booting up... hold on, almost there... loading now, just another minute... Hey guys, where'd you go?"

Vidfinnx
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
As long as my tethering works I dunno if I can go to the GB kernal even though I want to. That database apk etc worries me

sent from Droid X
SSX 2.1

Bkdodger
10-06-2011, 03:37 PM
As long as my tethering works I dunno if I can go to the GB kernal even though I want to. That database apk etc worries me

sent from Droid X
SSX 2.1

Tethering is just fine on GB ...Wugs took care of it..just as always keep to reasonable ...

Sent from elGato's X..
thru tapatalk...

3club
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM

sent from Droid X
SSX 2.1
The wug patch fixes the radio, and that patch persists through sbfing and roming, so once you do the patch, you can tether FOREVER! (In computerese, "forever" means until the next update breaks it. lol. But you can switch back and forth between froyo and gb, and keep your tether.)

snowboardwcu
10-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Problem with turning it off is the amount of time it takes to come back on. One example is camping, where I normally have it off, but want to use it for camera. Instant-on from sleep, vs "hold on guys, let me take a picture... wait, it's booting up... hold on, almost there... loading now, just another minute... Hey guys, where'd you go?"

yeah i hear ya. very good example. hopefully with the new tweaks and days of battery life we wont have to worry...

ChevyNo1
10-06-2011, 05:03 PM
i would love to call BS on you, but since you're a reliable guy................

....i'm going to try this tonight, see what happens.

Ha ha bring it!

As far as sleep mode - if it's not in CM7, it's not in SS yet - I have no idea how it is implemented nor seen the code for it ...

Vidfinnx
10-06-2011, 06:42 PM
I meant when I turned on tethering on GB it would say hotspots activated. Does his patch make that not happen anymore

sent from Droid X
SSX 2.1

aramiscrimson
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow... New rom from Chevy soon? Sweet, can't wait.

mike2112
10-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Just when I thought I was getting to know this ROM (2.1) you're gonna throw out a new one!!!! SWEET more for me to learn. :big smile: Cant wait for 2.2 Im sure it will be killer.

snowboardwcu
10-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Ha ha bring it!

screen shot of battery life over night. started full charge, battery door left off, phone upside down. i haven't been running this more than a few days, but this is the type of life i was seeing on 2.0 sitting idle. ill try batt door on tonight.

ChevyNo1
10-07-2011, 08:32 AM
screen shot of battery life over night. started full charge, battery door left off, phone upside down. i haven't been running this more than a few days, but this is the type of life i was seeing on 2.0 sitting idle. ill try batt door on tonight.

I wonder if it's specific to the GB kernel then ... with door off, I got only 2 days before needing to charge up. With door on, and nothing else changed, I am now at 1 day, 19 hours, and still at 86% ...

Burncycle
10-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I wonder if it's specific to the GB kernel then ... with door off, I got only 2 days before needing to charge up. With door on, and nothing else changed, I am now at 1 day, 19 hours, and still at 86% ...

Makes no sense. I haven't had a battery door for months. I doubt it would have any impact on your battery life.

ChevyNo1
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Makes no sense. I haven't had a battery door for months. I doubt it would have any impact on your battery life.

You never know - all I know is big difference for me if off. In addition - it DEFINITELY hurts battery life on the Tbolt - as the antenna is tied to the door. If you take the door off on the Tbolt, it can only get 1x signal, and spends a lot of power looking to make it better.

Are you now on the GB kernel?

fezrock
10-07-2011, 09:50 AM

Man, that's better than I got on ApeXrc3 last night. 10 hours off, all idle, 60% :( , can't wait to try 2.2!

snowboardwcu
10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
having the antenna tied to the door, never thought of that. it WOULD explain it, but isn't your DX unactivated? that would negate that argument then i would suspect.

the question I want answered is whats the little metal deely(what i referred to earlier as a switch of some sort) that the battery door touches? i felt the need to change my verbage considering it may just be a tether for the antenna. i really can't imagine it would make a difference.

3club
10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
having the antenna tied to the door, never thought of that. it WOULD explain it, but isn't your DX unactivated? that would negate that argument then i would suspect.

the question I want answered is whats the little metal deely(what i referred to earlier as a switch of some sort) that the battery door touches? i felt the need to change my verbage considering it may just be a tether for the antenna. i really can't imagine it would make a difference.

DX antenna not in door. I have extended batteries, so have to use different door. All plastic, too spacious to ever contact that little switch. But yet signal is still same as always. I have no explanation.

I do have a new gripe, though. When I drop the phone on it's head, it turns off. I'm guessing maybe loose battery contacts??? But it's aftermarket, so nothing I can do but try to not drop it. Anyone else experience this? Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with SSX, just kind of a wild tangent.

Mfillibene16
10-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Anyway to add In some blur features with hd video, and hdmi out in the 2.2 release....

umx
10-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Any ETa on this chevy :D
Been following you from droid 1 days hehe

I been having allot of connection issues with the market. is this common in 2.1 and possible fix in 2.2

Burncycle
10-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Anyway to add In some blur features with hd video, and hdmi out in the 2.2 release....

XD HDMI out is most likely never going to happen on non blur

snowboardwcu
10-09-2011, 06:11 PM

...and the FM radio...?

popcenator
10-09-2011, 06:37 PM
CM7 itself would have to be recoded to include those things...then what would be the point of CM7. I personally don't use any of those things and am glad its not included.

on the move..

TwinkleFingers
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Not only that, but my Blackberry Storm had a similar feature that I really liked. I could turn it off (essentially sleep mode) and it would wake itself up when my alarm was set to ring. That meant I could put it to sleep when I went to bed and not worry about remembering to plug it in.

That would avoid days like today when my battery died overnight so no alarm. Fortunately I still woke up just about on time and still made it to work okay. But I do miss that sleep feature...

realtormicah
10-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Not only that, but my Blackberry Storm had a similar feature that I really liked. I could turn it off (essentially sleep mode) and it would wake itself up when my alarm was set to ring. That meant I could put it to sleep when I went to bed and not worry about remembering to plug it in.

That would avoid days like today when my battery died overnight so no alarm. Fortunately I still woke up just about on time and still made it to work okay. But I do miss that sleep feature...

I use the app ring scheduler to do this. I have it set to go to airplane mode at a certain time each night then have it turn back on in the morning.

Sent from my DroidX running (insert new Rom) using Droid X Forums

ChevyNo1
10-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Not sure you'll need sleep function - it is hard to tell since my DX is not activated - but check my twitter for latest battery testing :big smile:

smalltowngirl13
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Looks good... any idea on when you'll release?

~~ sent from my x~~

realtormicah
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I am anxiously and patiently waiting, ssx is my favorite rom, but I needed better battery life so had to switch. I seriously check this forum 10 times a day hoping for a release of 2.2

Sent from my DroidX running (insert new Rom) using Droid X Forums

ChevyNo1
10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I know you all are patiently waiting - I just am very rigorous in my testing, especially when I'm releasing something as 'visible' as battery levels - in addition 2.2 will be a 2.3.7 build, so that is taking a bit of time also - but will be worth it!

smalltowngirl13
10-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't know about the patient part... lol... but definitely excited!

~~ sent from my x~~

3club
10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I know you all are patiently waiting - I just am very rigorous in my testing, especially when I'm releasing something as 'visible' as battery levels - in addition 2.2 will be a 2.3.7 build, so that is taking a bit of time also - but will be worth it!
Your efforts are much appreciated! SSX was my first rom. I've tried a few, but kept coming back.

Is there any way there could be a list of features? I know with this version, I've found some things that don't work, but I really don't know if they are supposed to or not, if it's a bug, or something beyond the scope of your work. One example is not being able to play 720p videos. I never knew if that was a bug, or something ssx was never intended to handle.

In any case, I'm looking forward to your next release! :-)

umx
10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
you should send me a copy of it for testing :D

ChevyNo1
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM
GAHHHHHHHHHHH! I had an SBF fail and got tied up doing something - came back and battery was dead. I do not have a spare battery, nor an external charger - so I am HOSED as far as I can tell. Just ordered an external charger but that is going to take some time to get it here. So as of right now - I can't even test my latest build :shocked:

EDIT: In my desperation to continue - I am considering this: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/editorial-the-dark-side-of-android-hacking/

fezrock
10-11-2011, 11:12 AM
You can always ask a nice vzw store rep to charge it for you.

Spirotot
10-11-2011, 11:13 AM
GAHHHHHHHHHHH! I had an SBF fail and got tied up doing something - came back and battery was dead. I do not have a spare battery, nor an external charger - so I am HOSED as far as I can tell. Just ordered an external charger but that is going to take some time to get it here. So as of right now - I can't even test my latest build :shocked:

EDIT: In my desperation to continue - I am considering this: Editorial: Firmware, forums, and desperation -- the dark side of Android hacking -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/editorial-the-dark-side-of-android-hacking/)

I don't remember exactly what thread it was in (I'll try to find a link), but a couple weeks ago, MIUI's battery gauge was broken, and the battery wouldn't charge. I know a number of people tried that method to get their dead battery to charge... Seemed like most of them had pretty good success.

EDIT: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/miui/36976-miui-weekly-update-v-1-9-16-gb-kernel-9-16-2011-a-10.html#post436127

ChevyNo1
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I am BACK in business - did the USB cable hack (took all of 2 minutes) and have 602 loaded back up and battery charging :)

TwinkleFingers
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Huzzah!

Now if you'll just devote every waking moment until it's...

I mean...can't wait to see the new version

fezrock
10-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Huzzah!

Now if you'll just devote every waking moment until it's...

I mean...can't wait to see the new version

Lol! +1000

umx
10-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Idk what is causing it but it completely sux on 2.1 And i Have the extended life battery. went from 100% at 11pm to 41% at 7am just sitting on my desk.

milski65
10-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Idk what is causing it but I'm not happy with battery life on 2.1 And i Have the extended life battery. went from 100% at 11pm to 41% at 7am just sitting on my desk.

Ugh. I lost about 35% a night on regular battery after calibration. How long have you been running 2.1?

fezrock
10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
My standard idle loss with all froyo 2nd-init builds, including ssx, was 20% for 8 hours. No tweaks to save juice.

umx
10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Ugh. I lost about 35% a night on regular battery after calibration. How long have you been running 2.1?

Been on 2.1 for a while.. sick of these cell phones in general cant last a day on a ext battery, no matter what rom ur on .

umx
10-12-2011, 07:53 AM
My standard idle loss with all froyo 2nd-init builds, including ssx, was 20% for 8 hours. No tweaks to save juice.

idk what ur doing diff, but mine eats battery

fezrock
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
idk what ur doing diff, but mine eats battery

That's just it. Never did a thing. No over/under-volting/clocking, no sleep mode, no anything at all so I could maintain a baseline to compare drain levels.

Anyway, 2.2 will be better, as the battery drain on GB 2nd-inits is noticeably less.

mike2112
10-20-2011, 12:53 PM
How do I get the "cube" effect back on my home screens???? Had it in 2.1 and can't seem to find it in 2.2

savagerun
10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
How do I get the "cube" effect back on my home screens???? Had it in 2.1 and can't seem to find it in 2.2

You can use launcherpro and you'll have that option in the launchers settings.
Menu> preferences > homescreen settings > transition effect then scroll to the bottom and select cube

Nemo aeternamn
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM
it's also in adw... to get that effect.. it's with in the actual launcher it's self...

TwinkleFingers
10-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Is there a setting or something to dim (or turn off) the hard key lights? I remember back on .596 I was told to use the AdjBrightness app, and that sort of worked. Then on SSX 2.0 and 2.1, the lights were much dimmer.

Now that I'm on 2.2, they're blindingly bright again. I've tried the latest AdjBrightness, and it turns them off until I switch to another app, and then they come back on. It's especially annoying when trying to read an ebook at night with the lights dim or out.

So anyway, is there a setting I can use to turn them off until I intentionally turn them back on?

Nemo aeternamn
10-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Yup...under cyanogen settings/display/backlight/ screen dim levels

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

TwinkleFingers
10-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Great, thanks. It took some work, but I think I got it set.

TwinkleFingers
10-23-2011, 01:46 PM
And on the topic of battery life, I'm LOVING this new version. Today I've been on battery for almost four hours and just went down to 89 percent.

And I was able to go 8:30AM until 10:00pm only one charge, but that included about five hours on airplane mode since there was basically no signal in the theater I was working in. But the rest of the time had a good bit of 3G usage.

It'll be nice to go out for a full day of work and know I don't have to worry about taking my charger with me.

You rock, Chevy!

Update: five hours of light use later and I'm still at 74 percent. With 2.1, I'd be lucky to get 8 hours out of a full charge

killert721
10-25-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my battery life sucks with ssx 2.2 I'm down to 75% in 3hrs 24min and I've just been browsing the net and sending txt msgs. This is the second time I've flashed the rom not sure what's going on but also my battery seems to drop in chunks from 85 to 79. Any advice?

Welfarebob
10-25-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my battery life sucks with ssx 2.2 I'm down to 75% in 3hrs 24min and I've just been browsing the net and sending txt msgs. This is the second time I've flashed the rom not sure what's going on but also my battery seems to drop in chunks from 85 to 79. Any advice?

Have you callibrated the battery?

killert721
10-25-2011, 01:26 AM
yea I've calibrated the battery twice by wiping stats the numbers keep jumping in chunks not sure why jus waiting to get stellar battery life from this rom

Nemo aeternamn
10-25-2011, 02:29 AM
yea I've calibrated the battery twice by wiping stats the numbers keep jumping in chunks not sure why jus waiting to get stellar battery life from this rom

Well to try and figure out what's going on... What's using your battery and how much is it using?

killert721
10-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Well the the display is using up the largest amount of battery at 43 % so Ive lowered my brightness and lowered the time for the screen display to be on, but I'm still confused about why the batter drops in chunks. I went from a rooted .605 to SSX 2.2 could that be it?

milski65
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Well the the display is using up the largest amount of battery at 43 % so Ive lowered my brightness and lowered the time for the screen display to be on, but I'm still confused about why the batter drops in chunks. I went from a rooted .605 to SSX 2.2 could that be it?

Mine was like that for the first 2 days. Everything mellowed out since. Display is always a killer. Mines at 30% max. Games and OC also drain it. Check manage apps, downloads, and sort by usage. That will give you another idea where pull is coming from.

Nemo aeternamn
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Why the battery appears to drop I'm chunks... I believe... Is how Chevy made the one percent work and be actually pretty accurate... It's just a side effect the battery drops how it does... I may be wrong...

Post script: don't worry about your display eating that much... Mines usually around 50-60 percent : D

killert721
10-25-2011, 03:04 PM
what is the average battery life people are getting with this rom?

LordButt
10-31-2011, 09:58 PM
what is the average battery life people are getting with this rom?

I installed simply stunning 2.2 over 605 yesterday. Since calibrating the battery my phone is been running 14 hours and it's down 49 percent.

zman8
11-12-2011, 04:20 PM
The battery life on this has been amazing! 7.5 hours and at 83% (been on Wifi for most of the time). Was thinking about messing with the governator to increase overall performance. What is the diff between "users pace" and "performance"?