PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Virginia?

fc127
08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
It looks like there was an earthquake in Virginia around 1:50pm EST. We felt it in Cortland, NY.

Anyone else?

Edit: It turns out there was a 5.8 magnitudin Virginia that set off a 2.2 magnitude in Upstate NY.

From CM7 on my DX

gbrinn
08-23-2011, 01:14 PM
My wife felt it in Charlotte, NC.

*Edit* I realized I did feel it: I was sitting in my car at a stop light and thought the shaking I was feeling was the engine RPMs going too low, but as I recall now, they hadn't dropped out of the norm and it felt like someone was standing on my bumper, jumping up and down.

fezrock
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
WNC- missed it, just saw the news.

lthelwpn
08-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Felt it in Lenoir, NC. Lasted about 20 seconds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

holly
08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Those are the fun ones. Definitely gets the heart beating. We only very rarely get 5s or greater out here in northern california ever since the " big " '89 quake.

sent from my non-rooted dx

MICHO
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Meh I'm in mass and felt nothing ..

JRJONESD
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Felt it here in Maryland. I was trying to take a nap. Thought something was under my bed...lol

jmartinez748
08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Felt it here in Maryland. I was trying to take a nap. Thought something was under my bed...lol

That must of freaked you out lol.

Hope everyone over there is ok

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

cw0974
08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
i'm also in maryland. i was on my bed and my house started shaking. my computer screen toppled over haha. no major damages done though.

cory46
08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
yep felt it in Ohio as well

HarleyDude
08-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Big news here in the office, outside Philly, the building shook good

Bkdodger
08-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Same here ..we evacuated as building shook..NYC downtown

Sent from elGato's X..
"I will not flash today...I will not flash tonight ..oh who am I kidding...."

HarleyDude
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Same here ..we evacuated as building shook..NYC downtown

Sent from elGato's X..
LOL BK, some of the talk here is how they started sending everyone home in NYC

WugFresh
08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Omg... That was crazy. The building I was in was huge and was shaking like crazy. I ran down five flights of stairs.

{{ WugFresh }}

Anubisyn
08-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I was at the gym in richmond and we just kinda looked at each other then kept going :-)

holly
08-23-2011, 02:17 PM
@wugfresh Did a lot of stuff fall over - or are they not letting people back in?

Bkdodger
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
LOL BK, some of the talk here is how they started sending everyone home in NYC

LOL ..we left on our own...wasn't about to ask questions ...

Sent from elGato's X..

popcenator
08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Nothing here in Nebraska....lol All I get is hail and partial flooding..

Garemlin
08-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Shook pretty good here in DE. Tables were moving across the floor in our breakroom.

Sent from my Droid X

WugFresh
08-23-2011, 02:23 PM
@wugfresh Did a lot of stuff fall over - or are they not letting people back in?

The building did not seem structurally sound. I heard things falling over. They let us back in after a little while and I ran up the stairs, grabbed my external hard drive and left. Lol, no earthquake is separating me from my files. Nerd for life. I am walking home now.

{{ WugFresh }}

Wulf
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear everyones ok.

creamsteve
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
People here in Syracuse felt it, but I didn't. Idk how I miss these things.

savagerun
08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Most importantly is everyone's DROIDX ok? Lol... Just joking of course. Hope nobody got hurt.

NITRO2
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Most importantly is everyone's DROIDX ok? Lol... Just joking of course. Hope nobody got hurt.

Did any droid x's brick? nothing a SBF can't fix ;D

Glad to hear everyones doin good

AdamTomaino
08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I felt it in pittsburgh... my wife pulled the cushions off the couch thinking it was a snake!? women....

ToeJamm57
08-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Can't help but think that all the members from California are thinking one thing...

Pansies :tongue:

holly
08-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm thinking of all the millions - including all the tourists in DC etc. - who just felt an earthquake (and by no means a minor one) for the very first time. It's pretty scary.

fc127
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I felt it in pittsburgh... my wife pulled the cushions off the couch thinking it was a snake!? women....

A snake?

From CM7 on my DX

fc127
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Can't help but think that all the members from California are thinking one thing...

Its just like when Georgia gets an inch of snow and closes everything down... CNY gets, on average 160-170 inches per year. And nothing ever closes. But we aren't used to earthquakes of any kind.

From CM7 on my DX

Snipples007
08-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm in Clifton Park, NY, which is about two and a half hours north of NYC. I didn't feel a thing, but I went onto Facebook and saw 20-30 different statuses saying they felt the earthquake.

popcenator
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Its just like when Georgia gets an inch of snow and closes everything down... CNY gets, on average 160-170 inches per year. And nothing ever closes. But we aren't used to earthquakes of any kind.

From CM7 on my DX

Same with Nerbaska...6-12 inches pretty regularly throughout the winter. That's my favorite time to drive :big smile:

Garemlin
08-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Talked to my son when I got home and he said it wasn't like you hear people describing earthquakes where everything shakes. He said the house literally was moving side to side and felt like it was going to cave in it was moving so much.

And to add insult to injury it looks like we might have a major hurricane heading straight for us this weekend. Heavy flooding rains for the last week. An earthquake today and a hurricane in 5 days. Mother nature is really ticked off at the east coast.

gbrinn
08-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Pictures/frames and other stuff were bouncing on the walls in the camera store where my brother works. After reflecting on it, I realized that the shaking of my car wasn't the engine idling too low, it was the quake.

maybish
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
I was doing laundry and didn't feel a thing. Didn't even hear the hangers I was using fall to the ground! Haha

****sent from May's pink cm7 X!!!***

PhilD
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
definitely felt it here in south jersey, i literally ran out of work trampling any women and children in my way...

ok, the women and children part is an exaggeration, but i really did run for the door.

gbrinn
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
definitely felt it here in south jersey, i literally ran out of work trampling any women and children in my way...

ok, the women and children part is an exaggeration, but i really did run for the door.
ROFL.

"The ground's not supposed to move", huh?

SimplySweetness
08-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I guess quite a few people felt it up here and we're in the real Upstate, NY lol. A friend was telling me about how she was yelling at her roomie to stop tapping on the glasses with silverware but he was in the other room. I didn't feel it, though.

spodoc
08-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey all. Glad to hear you are ok. I haven't followed it in the news. Been slammed at work. Home everyone is safe. First I heard about it was wugs tweet. The last thing I thought he was referring to was an actual earthquake. I thought it was some rom or maybe he was renaming wugfox or something.

selcric
08-23-2011, 11:00 PM

I live in California and the only one thing I thought was that for an area not familiar with earthquakes and the way everyone described it...from what i hear... I'm just glad everyone and their loved ones are alright...

My second thought after reading all posts was that yeah, that would be a cool release from wug...

Amazonfemme
08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Glad folks are OK. I'm in Southern Maryland, and my townhouse shook like crazy. My first, split-second thought was that a subway train was passing by, but I reminded myself that I don't live in New York anymore. Then I thought maybe a jet from the naval air station was doing a flyover... but the shaking was so bad, I started to worry that the roof was about to cave in. I ran out of the house just as I heard things crashing and breaking upstairs. No damage to the house, fortunately - just lost a glass pitcher and couple of bottles. Freaked me right out, though!

truckroot
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Was 20 miles east of Richmond on I64 with 43200 lbs of freight in my trailer. Thought my front steer tire came loose.

fc127
08-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Was 20 miles east of Richmond on I64 with 43200 lbs of freight in my trailer. Thought my front steer tire came loose.

Wow, I bet that was fun!

From CM7 on my DX

qdtphotog
08-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Being near the capital area , I wasn't sure what was happening at first and my initial thought was some kind of terrorist attack, a nuclear bomb or something like that. Thankfully it was just a minor quake.

HarleyDude
08-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Talked to my son when I got home and he said it wasn't like you hear people describing earthquakes where everything shakes. He said the house literally was moving side to side and felt like it was going to cave in it was moving so much.

And to add insult to injury it looks like we might have a major hurricane heading straight for us this weekend. Heavy flooding rains for the last week. An earthquake today and a hurricane in 5 days. Mother nature is really ticked off at the east coast.

Yup, starting evacuation in the Outer Banks in NC today, it's tracking that way and they don't want to wait. Then right up the east Coast.
The Washington Monument is closed indefinitely due to cracks from the quake

fezrock
08-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Yup, starting evacuation in the Outer Banks in NC today, it's tracking that way and they don't want to wait. Then right up the east Coast.
The Washington Monument is closed indefinitely due to cracks from the quake

Yeah, ocracoke is accessible by ferry only, and a long one to the mainland or a short one plus a long 2-lane drive with mucho traffic. Gotta start early. Bet most of the locals ride it out tho.

WugFresh
08-24-2011, 06:57 AM

Yikes, stay safe man.

{{ WugFresh }}

usiris208
08-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Yea i was in a somewhat old building and you could feel the waves moving by. Most of the people here thought it was a bomb and a little girl thought it was the end of the world lol. I was pretty much laughing at the people who thought it was a bomb...bomb blasts are quick and to the point not a rumble of the ground that lasts for about 20sec.

WugFresh
08-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Hey all. Glad to hear you are ok. I haven't followed it in the news. Been slammed at work. Home everyone is safe. First I heard about it was wugs tweet. The last thing I thought he was referring to was an actual earthquake. I thought it was some rom or maybe he was renaming wugfox or something.

Lol on earthquake ROM. Yeah this was a legit quake. But if I was working on something it would be on my external hard drive and luckily I got that back :)

Since yesterday I have talked to a few of my friends who were located closer to the epicenter.. And one of them had their whole roof cave in... Ridiculous.

Slight shift of tectonic plates and out concrete civilizations can fall to ruins. Respect mother nature or she will strike back with vengeance.

{{ WugFresh }}

fc127
08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
A picture of some of the devastation...

gbrinn
08-24-2011, 07:27 AM
A picture of some of the devastation...

Lol. That's hillarious.

milski65
08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
I live and work 30 miles WNW of epicenter. All I can say is it's a pretty damn surreal experience. No collapses or anything to that nature, but it did leave you feeling really freakin odd for about 20. 2nd one hit around 8pm. Much more localized.

usiris208
08-24-2011, 07:50 AM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Picture-241.png

fc127
08-24-2011, 08:14 AM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Picture-241.png

Yeah... That might have been too much.

holly
08-24-2011, 08:26 AM