PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse

Jinna
08-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I put Eclipse on my X2 the other day and it has been draining my battery like crazy. I love the difference in my phone, but not loving the battery issue. Any tips on how to slow down the battery drainage?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

bignasty407
08-21-2011, 07:16 PM
i'm running ti as well and i have a great batt life.

download the battery calibaration app in the market, follow the instructions that it givesm and check back with us and let us know how it went, if that does not fix it... do a full wipe of data/cache/dalvik and reinstall your rom.

Stick1300
08-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Seconding the battery calibration. Do that and start rebooting your phone each morning right after you unplug it. Trust me.

dimitri407
08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Reboot after unplugging? Is that what I am going to have to do to have good battery life on the X2?

victimssun
08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Reboot after unplugging? Is that what I am going to have to do to have good battery life on the X2?

A calibration should be enough. Usually done only after installing a new rom

Stick1300
08-23-2011, 12:36 PM

Some people have noticed considerably better battery life (myself included) by doing this. Some bug causes the system to hang and eats up battery after charging.

jvan1474
08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Some people have noticed considerably better battery life (myself included) by doing this. Some bug causes the system to hang and eats up battery after charging.

There really is something to this, the other day I ran the Battery Calibration. A few days after I woke up around 3 am found my phone fully charged and disconnected the charger without rebooting and just let the phone sit there - I use Juice Defender to turn off data when not in use. When I turned the phone on at 7 am it was down to 70% - 30% drop in 4 hours with absolutely no usage. I have since began doing a reboot after unplugging from the charger and now average easily over 20 hours with moderate usage - just today I disconnected the charger at 5:30am, rebooted, and for 4 hours have used the phone as normal and have only lost 8% of the battery...Give it a try, you have nothing to lose

dimitri407
08-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Am I the only one that thinks this is BS that you have to do this to have a Droid X 2? Coming from the Droid X (not by choice) and to find that you have to reboot after charging just seems crazy. I pray someone fixes this soon.

jvan1474
08-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this is BS that you have to do this to have a Droid X 2? Coming from the Droid X (not by choice) and to find that you have to reboot after charging just seems crazy. I pray someone fixes this soon.

No you are not the only one, I totally agree; but the facts are I am stuck with this phone (at least for now) and Motorola will take months to fix it along with the many other annoying issues...you also shouldn't have to root your phone to remove the garbage they add in...someone (probably not Motorola) will find a fix for it sooner or later so, so for now I find what works for me and keep rolling - hitting reboot on the phone when I disconnect the charger really is the least of the problems I have found with the X2.

Edit: I have gone through my autostarts and noticed Global Unplug starting when power is connected (I had it frozen, but did not seem to matter) I just removed it and I am charging to 100% now and going to test - I have noticed a few times unplugging the charger without actually unlocking the screen the "Charging" or "Fully Charged" message would continue on the screen even with the power disconnected. I will report back what I find with my phone.

MAD450r
08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I too had battery issues with this rom, but went back to p3's prerooted and my battery is great. I just cant seem to theme it at all or I end up in boot loops but my battery is great and Id never keep a rom taht requires a daily reboot thats just crazy to even suggest.

jvan1474
08-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I too had battery issues with this rom, but went back to p3's prerooted and my battery is great. I just cant seem to theme it at all or I end up in boot loops but my battery is great and Id never keep a rom taht requires a daily reboot thats just crazy to even suggest.

I had the same problems with Battery on Froyo, Factory GB, and P3's prerooted - I believe it is Motorola's Battery Manager or Battery & Data Manager. On all 4 I noticed times where I would disconnect the charger, but the phone still "thought" it was charging - Locking the screen would show "Charging xx%" whenever this happens the phone kills the battery. I saw this just yesterday, took phone off charger, showed charging, lost 40% of the battery in 2 hours with no usage - rebooted "Charging" went away and battery lasted.

To blame this ROM for the battery problems is just plain wrong, you can find people complaining of the same problems with Factory GB on Motorola's forums and the fix for now is the same

NewAge
09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I had battery drain issues on all of the above as well. Eclipse v.4 seemed to clear that up. I blame Blur. And I didnt upgrade to .4 from 2.2 because I actually enjoy a little Blur, I just couldnt stand the battery. V.5 is looking just as good.

firefighterguy
09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I had the same problems with Battery on Froyo, Factory GB, and P3's prerooted - I believe it is Motorola's Battery Manager or Battery & Data Manager. On all 4 I noticed times where I would disconnect the charger, but the phone still "thought" it was charging - Locking the screen would show "Charging xx%" whenever this happens the phone kills the battery. I saw this just yesterday, took phone off charger, showed charging, lost 40% of the battery in 2 hours with no usage - rebooted "Charging" went away and battery lasted.

To blame this ROM for the battery problems is just plain wrong, you can find people complaining of the same problems with Factory GB on Motorola's forums and the fix for now is the same

jvan,

Just a thought here and trying to get feedback from people whom may actually know what they are doing, unlike me. Lol.

But, What do you think about deleting all the "data collector/collection" apk's and data manager apk? A long with the battery and data manager you were talking about? I have deleted the data collector apk's and nothing abnormal has happened. I think my battery actually got a little better.

I have done this with Froyo and GB (the sorce of whom told me about that, I swore my life to their secrecy). At first I/we tgought it was hurting the battery because the phone might have kept polling itself trying to find those missing apps somehow. But recently, after playing around with it, if I deleted a lot more than just those data collectors, (different blur components, suggestions, etc) that it might actually help the battery. But I am curious what might happen if I ridded my phone of the ones you were talking about too.

And v.4 and.5 have me scratching my head. Because I did everything the dev, (nitro) said to do to the best of my abilities - ie delete battery stats, recalibrate, etc - and I am still having an issue with my battery, though not as bad after I deleted the data collectors. Thus my question upon your theory. I don't mind being a guinea pig either...now that with everyones help I am no longer an sbf virgin. Lmao.

"King of the Self-Edit'"

jvan1474
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
jvan,

Just a thought here and trying to get feedback from people whom may actually know what they are doing, unlike me. Lol.

But, What do you think about deleting all the "data collector/collection" apk's and data manager apk? A long with the battery and data manager you were talking about? I have deleted the data collector apk's and nothing abnormal has happened. I think my battery actually got a little better.

I have done this with Froyo and GB (the sorce of whom told me about that, I swore my life to their secrecy). At first I/we tgought it was hurting the battery because the phone might have kept polling itself trying to find those missing apps somehow. But recently, after playing around with it, if I deleted a lot more than just those data collectors, (different blur components, suggestions, etc) that it might actually help the battery. But I am curious what might happen if I ridded my phone of the ones you were talking about too.

And v.4 and.5 have me scratching my head. Because I did everything the dev, (nitro) said to do to the best of my abilities - ie delete battery stats, recalicrate, etc - and I am still having an issue with my battery, though not as bad after I deleted the data collectors. Thus my question upon your theory. I don't mind being a guinea pig either...now that with everyones help I am no longer an sbf virgin. Lmao.

"King of the Self-Edit'"

I've thought about deleting them, but haven't taken the jump yet and I'm not real sure what if anything it could break...I'm on v.5 and really haven't notice what I would consider bad battery life - I use my phone a lot and get between 12 and 16 hours at least; on days I'm not active on it I can get 20-24ish. But I also use JuiceDefender to turn of Data when my screen is off.

I also noticed something else about a week ago - my phone completely died (seen it at 5% and had used it all day so kind of expected it) I tried plugging it in and it just refused to boot so I took the battery out of my wife's Droid X and put it in the X2 and vice versa. My phone booted up, but the strange thing was my dead X2 battery in her X showed a 70% charge and lasted for several hours.

So now I have 2 theories on the whole Battery thing:
1. Something is using the 3G data when the phone really is not in use - might be data collector/collection; I'm going to freeze those today and see what happens.
2. The phone just doesn't read the battery correctly; it thinks it's at 5% when it's at 50%...I'll play with swapping my battery between my X2 and my wifes X to test this more (if anyone has access to both I'd like to hear your results as well)

Nerdslogic
09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
well once again I am back to stock and off of Eclipse. Everytime I have tried eclipse I end up in the same situation....great battery life for a few days then almost none...yesterday I barely made it 10 hours with my phone fairly unused on Eclipse....sbf'd last night and today

http://tapatalk.com/mu/c6918f02-b784-a292.jpg

Getting better.....

http://tapatalk.com/mu/3235dd0b-3130-81c4.jpg

Pretty much the same use too....or lack there of

http://tapatalk.com/mu/3235dd0b-31e0-3ba6.jpg

Keep in mind this is running SPB 3d shell too....

firefighterguy
09-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I've thought about deleting them, but haven't taken the jump yet and I'm not real sure what if anything it could break...I'm on v.5 and really haven't notice what I would consider bad battery life - I use my phone a lot and get between 12 and 16 hours at least; on days I'm not active on it I can get 20-24ish. But I also use JuiceDefender to turn of Data when my screen is off.

I also noticed something else about a week ago - my phone completely died (seen it at 5% and had used it all day so kind of expected it) I tried plugging it in and it just refused to boot so I took the battery out of my wife's Droid X and put it in the X2 and vice versa. My phone booted up, but the strange thing was my dead X2 battery in her X showed a 70% charge and lasted for several hours.

So now I have 2 theories on the whole Battery thing:
1. Something is using the 3G data when the phone really is not in use - might be data collector/collection; I'm going to freeze those today and see what happens.
2. The phone just doesn't read the battery correctly; it thinks it's at 5% when it's at 50%...I'll play with swapping my battery between my X2 and my wifes X to test this more (if anyone has access to both I'd like to hear your results as well)

Thanks, dude. To be honest, I haven't seen a big enough difference in battery to write home about on my DX1 and my DX2 anyways.

I will delete those and let you know the results. (I've pulled my own dump, so I can put the files back in or nandroid back if I need) (that last comment sounded better in my head. Lol)

*Update*

(Nitro, if any of this interests you for an upcoming update, feel free to use it to your discretion/need/desire.)

Whenever I delete something I usually do it through ADB no that everyone here educated me on it. I feel its cleaner/better. Maybe it's placebo. But I deleted thise things both through Root Explorer (RE) and ABD on seperate occations so I know if any pops ups occurred from deleting something specific.

So, I deleteted "DatamanagerApp.apk" along with everything else I meantioned before. Everything is fine. But you can't access your sync options in settings. Not a biggie for me. I'm sure there is something in the Market for that. And besides, apps has sync and notification settings built in. So why so we need Big Brother giving it to us again? Seems like over kill to me. And waisted space.

I also deleted "BatteryManager.apk" at 1547 Colorado time (Mountain Time) A popup opened after I did it through RE and after a battery pull was fine. You cannot set your battery to different confugurations in settings any more. But all is fine, and I particularly don't care. Lol. Because I am sure, again, that there will be something in the Market for it should anyone still want to do that. And I just got a phone call and txt msg from my wife. So that part works still too.

Some interesting things happened so far. And I will add to it in a day or so (I am seeing how strictly battery power compares to before). But so far I have noticed it seems quicker, and my signal seems to be better (somewhat). Granted, I have the tweaks going that are in the ROM (I manually downloaded and flashed each one and use it in Stock. I am waiting to see if this is ever themable. I prefer the stock GB look - i.e. blue notification bar.)

And right now, I haven't touched "BatteryReport.apk." I'm kind of scared to do that right now. Lol. Because I *think* it might be what the phone uses to relay battery info to the system i.e. the charge level, etc.

But I also don't know as much about this type of thing as you guys do. I just pretend and then break something and have to come over here and ask "WTF?" LMAO.

*Edit to the Update
Nevermind on the signal thing. It dropped some bars again. BUT it seems a little better than before. It came right back up again. And haven't dropped 3G in 30 minutes now (ironically it is 1620 or 4:20pm. Lmao)

"King of the Self-Edit'"

firefighterguy
09-08-2011, 06:24 PM
well once again I am back to stock and off of Eclipse. Everytime I have tried eclipse I end up in the same situation....great battery life for a few days then almost none...yesterday I barely made it 10 hours with my phone fairly unused on Eclipse....sbf'd last night and today

http://tapatalk.com/mu/c6918f02-b784-a292.jpg

Getting better.....

http://tapatalk.com/mu/3235dd0b-3130-81c4.jpg

Pretty much the same use too....or lack there of

http://tapatalk.com/mu/3235dd0b-31e0-3ba6.jpg

Keep in mind this is running SPB 3d shell too....

Dude, I would almost kill to have that type of battery performance as you - 12 hours at 60% and then drop another 30% in another 8 hours. My extended (X2) battery maybe gets 8-16 hours of use before charging.

(And for anyone that cares, I updated my above post)

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

MAD450r
09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Thinking of updating to v0.5. Is it worth all the work, and can I get BlackNBold theme back on v0.5?

EDIT: My only real issue with v0.4 has been text issues it seems they fixed some but am not sure this will cover my issue. I have problems texting my gf when she is on pc using yahoo. I get only half what she sends.

jvan1474
09-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I love v.5 but I have heard nitro is releasing something new tomorrow.

firefighterguy
09-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Just following up on my experiment.

Unless we are able to break in and rewrite "BatteryManager.apk," don't delete it or freeze it. I didn't have to complete my day of strickly battery to know that it blew even more than before. I purposefully did moderat to heeeeavy use. And within an hour, I was down to 60%. Compared to deleting/disabling all the data collectors and data manager(s) . Granted, my battery sucks even on total stock. But by disabling/deleting those didnt affect my normal battery use. And instead of an hour, I got to 80% in two hours of the same use (with a good signal area).

...Just for anyone who wants to know, or smarterer people that develope...

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

Nerdslogic
09-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Dude, I would almost kill to have that type of battery performance as you - 12 hours at 60% and the drop another 30% in another 8 hours. My extended (X2) battery maybe gets 8-16 hours of use before charging.

(And for anyone that cares, I updated my aboge post)

I am going to call it dead here.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3235dd0b-c4f5-5b43.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

jvan1474
09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Just following up on my experiment.

Unless we are able to break in and rewrite "BatteryManager.apk," don't delete it or freeze it. I didn't have to complete my day of strickly battery to know that it blew even more than before. I purposefully did moderat to heeeeavy use. And within an hour, I was down to 60%. Compared to deleting/disabling all the data collectors and data manager(s) . Granted, my battery sucks even on total stock. But by disabling/deleting those didnt affect my normal battery use. And instead of an hour, I got to 80% in two hours of the same use (with a good signal area).

...Just for anyone who wants to know, or smarterer people that develope...

I froze Battery & Data Manager, Battery Manager, Data Collection, Data Collector Service, Data Manager Service, and DataCollectorProvider - I then charged to 100% and Recalibrated my battery after 9 hours I've only lost 20% of battery. I think I'm going to try and run it this way threw the weekend to get a good judge on the battery life without those. I'm also using JuiceDefender to turn off data with the screen and downloaded JuicePlotter to monitor the actually battery life.

firefighterguy
09-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Yes. You can read it in this link. I'm sure its all across the internet elsewhere too. But if you can bear through the Tasker stuff it helps explain it some more.

forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1225689.html

Nerdslogic
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Yes. You can read it in this link. I'm sure its all across the internet elsewhere too. But if you can bear through the Tasker stuff it helps explain it some more.

forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1225689.html

This seems to be doing the trick for me as well....I wake up...come off charger...start shower...reboot phone....take shower....go about day.

firefighterguy
09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
This seems to be doing the trick for me as well....I wake up...come off charger...start shower...reboot phone....take shower....go about day.

Cool glad to hear it, Nerd. I litterally bumped into that link after I was doing my "experiment." And I wasnt looking for it. Quite the contrary. I was looking for something totally different and bumped into that in my search results. I thought it sounded interesting so I started reading it. I was looking for how to add "reboot" to the phone options or power button options. After several ill-attempts and copying and paisting android policy.jar and adjusting the permissions accordingly, trying to push it through adb, trying to NinjaMorph it, etc, and several, several bootloops later, I gave up on it (for a while).

jvan, let me know how yours goes. I would be interested in trying it again if you had better results than I. I very well could be doing something entirely wrong to have my battery life suck (even trying that unplug/reboot option). So if you have better results, I will try it again and keep altering settings, or how I do stuff, etc to see if it's operator error or if my phone just blows.

Maybe they would let me trade it for a Bionic? HA!! Wishful thinking, right? 3G to 4G...they'd have to be just absolutely high. Lmao!

jvan1474
09-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Cool glad to hear it, Nerd. I litterally bumped into that link after I was doing my "experiment." And I wasnt looking for it. Quite the contrary. I was looking for something totally different and bumped into that in my search results. I thought it sounded interesting so I started reading it. I was looking for how to add "reboot" to the phone options or power button options. After several ill-attempts and copying and paisting android policy.jar and adjusting the permissions accordingly, trying to push it through adb, trying to NinjaMorph it, etc, and several, several bootloops later, I gave up on it (for a while).

jvan, let me know how yours goes. I would be interested in trying it again if you had better results than I. I very well could be doing something entirely wrong to have my battery life suck (even trying that unplug/reboot option). So if you have better results, I will try it again and keep altering settings, or how I do stuff, etc to see if it's operator error or if my phone just blows.

Maybe they would let me trade it for a Bionic? HA!! Wishful thinking, right? 3G to 4G...they'd have to be just absolutely high. Lmao!

UnPlug/Rebooting is something I learned a while back with this phone and it greatly increases my battery...I'll let you know Monday how the test goes.

Nerdslogic
09-09-2011, 08:09 PM

That is what they are doing with me....upgraded from x to x2....x2 to d3...then I gave wife d3 and went back to x2 now going x2 to bionic and I now my other lines upgrade is available :)

jvan1474
09-12-2011, 04:27 PM

So far having Battery and Data Manager and Battery Manager froze have given me good results.

Day 1, 31 hours on Battery from 100% - down to 5%
Day 2, 27 hours on Battery from 100% - down to 5%
Today is day 3 and I've been using my phone pretty heavy on Battery 12 hours and have 55% remaining

I'm not using an extended Battery, I do use Juice Defender Plus to shut data off with the screen and keep my brightness at 0% for most of the time. After freezing the Data and Battery items I charged to 100% and Calibrated the battery with Battery Calibration from the market and rebooted.

On Day 2 I did notice something kind of strange - the battery seem to drop based more on time rather than actual battery usage for example 3 hours of no use screen off battery dropped 15% 3 hours of actual use (email, web, games, etc...) battery dropped 15%??? Day 3 has been different with the screen off hardly any drop at all over several hours.

firefighterguy
09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm gonna have to try this out again. I usually callibrated manually, but someone suggedted thst app you were talking about. And it helped a little bit. I also ran into juhde's thread - www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x2-hacks/36498-battery-calibration-new-method.html and it's helped some more. Still not getting quite what everyone else is getting. But a it better than I was.

I am screwing around with another Naven ROM - Nameless (an Atrix port) and I am loving it so far. So I am sure results will be similar.

Well, I am off to go mess around with my phone somemore. Lol....

And thanks for the followup, jvan. I will let you know how I faired after doing it again, and this time, perhaps, properly. Lol

jvan1474
09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm gonna have to try this out again. I usually callibrated manually, but someone suggedted thst app you were talking about. And it helped a little bit. I also ran into juhde's thread - www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x2-hacks/36498-battery-calibration-new-method.html (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x2-hacks/36498-battery-calibration-new-method.html) and it's helped some more. Still not getting quite what everyone else is getting. But a it better than I was.

I am screwing around with another Naven ROM - Nameless (an Atrix port) and I am loving it so far. So I am sure results will be similar.

Well, I am off to go mess around with my phone somemore. Lol....

And thanks for the followup, jvan. I will let you know how I faired after doing it again, and this time, perhaps, properly. Lol

No problem, I'm thinking of trying out Nameless myself - let me know how your testing goes.

firefighterguy
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
jvan,

Just so I can do what I can to duplicate your results, did you delete/freeze all of the data apk? - i.e. datacollector apks and datamanager apk? Or just the manager? And same for the battery. Did you only delete/freeze batterymanager? Or did you do the same to batteryreport? I was too chicken to do anything with batteryreport. It just sounded important. Lmao!

Amd if you did rid all of the datacollector/manager apk's did you notice the suggestionspoll FC'ed too? And did you delete/freeze all of the suggestion apk's also?

I did get rid of them. And maybe if you didn't maybe that was ehere my problems lied.

jvan1474
09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Just battery manager & battery and datamanager and then the 4 data collection. Don't have a battery report???

No FCs, didn't touch any suggestion stuff

firefighterguy
09-15-2011, 04:51 AM
If you look via TiBu, you might have a hard time seeting the batteryreport.apk. But if you look via Root Explorer (Exploder Lol), you can see it in /system/app

firefighterguy
09-15-2011, 04:53 AM
If you look via TiBu, you might have a hard time seeting the batteryreport.apk. But if you look via Root Explorer (Exploder Lol), you can see it in /system/appapp

I'm still feeling things out. But I am getting some similar stats as you. :D

firefighterguy
09-15-2011, 04:54 AM
*Edited. Tapatalk was kind enough to mess with me. It froze. Then I submitted the reply again...and then I got two (count 'em. Two) "reply sucfessful" toast messages. Lmao!

lhkjohn
09-16-2011, 10:45 AM
When installing, I had the nonstop FC during setup and I had to install Launcher Pro via my computer to bypass it. Finally got everything set up and now I'm getting FC'S anytime I open the Market, gallery, or anytime I get a notification.

I'm running 0.6 remix and made sure to wipe data/davlik/cache before flashing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

MXC357
10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
So I love the Eclipse roms but anyone else notice that their is no dialer when you want to activate or update roaming capabilities *228.
I have noticed this when I was running v.8 when i was on 2.3.3 but wiped my phone updated to 2.3.4 so i can get the latest rom.

Droid X2 2.3.4
Eclipse v1.1
Launcher Pro

lhkjohn
10-28-2011, 02:12 AM
When you dial *228 hold the options button on the left of the dx2 and the keypad should come up. Enter whatever number you want

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities