PDA

View Full Version : Current Giveaway from DroidX Forums!! Members voting POLL!!

HarleyDude
08-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Here it is folks, as promised, YOU, the DXF members get to pick the next winner in the current contest from DroidX Forums!

Original contest thread
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/34446-another-giveaway-droidxforums-com.html

We all know some of us find this forum after we've done something to our phone, an "OH NO!" moment.
Staff and many members know what a good feeling it is to get someone's phone working again, whether it's your own phone that gets fixed, or someone you've helped. We are also aware of that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, the cold sweat, the urge to throw your X against the wall and stomp it to death when you do have an "OH NO" moment of your own, it's a pretty terrible feeling.

Hopefully, enough time has passed and you can look back and laugh now, or at least not still cringe. So this contest was devised as a way to help you get over that and maybe look back and chuckle. If not, at least one lucky X-er will be enriched for their trouble. We'd also like to add our collective thanks for sharing your "OH NO" stories with the community

The three members with the best (worst?) "OH NO" moment stories are...

Droidgasm (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/38513.html)
fernbch (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/45190.html)
shawn (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/27626.html)

The next post contains their stories, quoted directly from the original thread.
Please re-read them, then choose your favorite in the above poll. We will run the poll for a week, you, the members will decide who walks away with a Droid X/X2 essentials pack as described here
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/34446-another-giveaway-droidxforums-com.html

HarleyDude
08-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Here they are, Read, chuckle, and vote!

Droidgasm (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/38513.html)'s story

Ok, here's one to put me in the running. Not a long story but that shouldn't downplay the unpleasant experience. I had to SBF & restore my phone in the hospital room the day our first child was born (four weeks ago this Wednesday!). I had a little downtime while wife & baby were sleeping so I decided to upgrade from Liberty 0.8 to 0.9. Well, something went awry and I ended up having to do a full SBF and reinstallation/restoration. Thankfully I had my old HP laptop with me (it's a dinosaur, and barely up to the task) and I store all the necessary files for such a situation in my Dropbox (the hospital had free wifi), but the stress of knowing my primary means of communication with family and work was suddenly having a major nervous breakdown on such an important day had me sweating bullets. Fortunately all ended well. I was able to restore everything and wife & baby are doing well.

And by the way - If anyone has tips on where to find an inexpensive used Iconia, Transformer, or Xoom I'd love to know. A resource for an inexpensive 32GB micro sd card would be cool too.

fernbch (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/45190.html)'s story

OK, I have a "thought I bricked my DX" story for you.

I bought this about two months ago as a CPO from VZW, the price was right. Had it on the web for $99 and kept looking at it saying "I should get it, I should get it". One day I looked and it was an online special for $49. I said to myself, OOhhh!!! $49, tied with my new every two. YES, Free DX!!!!!

So after a couple of weeks and much reading, I decided I was going to bite the bullet. I though of everything, or I thought I did. Downloaded Z4Root, D2 Bootstrap, Root Explorer, the TBH two part, DarkslideX, and put aside a Saturday afternoon to do it all. I even read up on RSD and everything and decided to get the Bootable CD, instead. So, that's how I spent the Friday evening before "the big day".

So, Saturday rolls around and I started. First was Z4Root, first time it didn't take. Second time didn't work, either. Or the third, the fourth, finally it did on the fifth try. It rebooted and I was rooted. Bootstrap went in just fine and I moved on to 596 next. That's where the trouble started. 596 didn't take and I got stuck at CWR. Everytime I rebooted I was in Clockwork. So, I tried 596 again. Back to clockwork I went at every restart. After about 5 attempts, I decided to download it again, maybe the first one was bad.

The next attempt after download took two tries and it took. I didn't think much about it, so I continued. I flashed DSX next. Got stuck in a bootloop. I wiped, I wiped, and I wiped again. It was bootloop central. Buy now I was starting to get a little nervous and frustrated, so I stopped and reread everything. I just couldn't figure it out, I was certain I didn't miss anything. So, I tried to flash DSX one more time. Nope, bootloop again.

By now I was starting to get frustrated, and I decided to SBF. Well that was another fiasco. The lights blinked here as it was storming like crazy outside. Wouldn't you know it, right in the middle of my SBF. Ok, start over. Two more attempts there and I was back at Froyo. The phone was working at this point, but it was acting wierd. So, do I stop? Nope. I should have, but I was so frustrated I convinced myself that this little "electronic gizmo" wasn't going to wip me.

So, I rooted. Took three tries this time. Then D2 Bootstrap, that took a couple times, too. Then the two part again. Shocked the crap out of me, it took on the first try. Ok, a little sigh of relief then on to DSX. Right back into the nonsense again. Bootloop, restart and wipe. Stuck at the M, restart and wipe. Boot into clockwork, restart and wipe again. Here we go again, gggrrrrrrr.

Screw it, time to SBF again. That just didn't want to work again. I was so angry I wanted to smash the stupid droid! I've never had this much trouble modding a phone. This went on for another couple hours and I was about to give up on it and go to VZW and get another phone. I was so mad, the little "electronic gizmo" has kicked my butt. I couldn't figure it out. Everything I read said I should have been able to do this in about 30 minutes or so. I packed everything up and my little girl comes in and asked me what"s wrong (she's 13). I told her and she says "Didn't you get all that stuff while it was storming last night?" The little light came on upstairs and I felt so stupid at the same time. The not so geeky kid who was crying the night before because she couldn't play her webkinz while it was storming on Friday night told me what was wrong without knowing it. Every download, except for D2 bootstrap, had an issue with it. None of the MD5's were right. So, what do I do you ask? I waited. I started this around 12pm, it was now after three and storming like no tomorrow again. The droid is no more than a pretty paperweight right now and there was NO WAY I was going to download anything.

Well, the story finally had a happy ending. The storms quit around 6:30 and I gave it another try. By that time I was more relaxed as the vodka I started sippin on was kickin in. After all that it went something like this; SBF was finished in about 5 minutes and the phone was working again. Z4 took first try, as did D2 bootstrap, 596 two part, and DSX. it was about 8:15 when I finished, I was half baked, and felt kinda dumb because I was wipped by a phone and showed up by a 13 year old. But I didn't care. The phone was working and I didn't have to hear the other half "tell me so" for the next two weeks (I've broken a couple phones in the past. Well ok, more like a half dozen in about 10 months but that's another headache.) Main thing was I went through "flashing a rom h3ll" and I learned the most basic of lessons from it. CHECK THE MD5 BEFORE YOU FLASH!!!!!!

Since then I've done a couple tweaks and what not and I haven't had one issue. I ALWAYS check the md5 and make a backup before I start. I only needed a backup once, that didn't work well either, but I found out why and still recovered quickly. Where to next? I think I'm going to try a 2nd init rom, there's some cool lookin stuff out there and I know what to check before I start so I don't have a repeat of history again.

Oh, BTW, you can ROF and LYFAO all you want because I deserve it.

shawn (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/27626.html)'s story

my first sfb was when i tried upgrading to the first gb leak didnt work so well so i was gonna sfb back set up rsd pluged in phone and got it started (i was thinking hey this is easy) once it started went out fer a smoke came back in and the puppy chewed through the usb cable couldent get it to do anything but go into bootloader after getting advice from some great people here i took my wifes cable from her fascinate then used 1kids iso disk finally got it back up and running
luckily the x and fascinate take the same cable

fezrock
08-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Ok peeps! Get your vote on!

C Dippa
08-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Make sure to vote for your favorite! The finalists need your votes!

Sent from my X to the interwebz

HarleyDude
08-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Bump
Over 100 views and 10 votes. People, help us out, VOTE!!

popcenator
08-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Vote vote vote vote vote etov etov etov etov etov...

on the move..

fezrock
08-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey peeps! If you're on dxf app, hit the hard menu button, and choose browser. The poll will appear like magic! Then you can vote.

We're counting on you!

MICHO
08-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Hey peeps! If you're on dxf app, hit the hard menu button, and choose browser. The poll will appear like magic! Then you can vote.

We're counting on you!

Come peeps and get your vote on!

fezrock
08-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Only 15 votes? C'mon folks! Read the stories (you might learn something!) and vote for your fave!

MICHO
08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Only 15 votes? C'mon folks! Read the stories (you might learn something!) and vote for your fave!

Yah for voting!

smalltowngirl13
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Let's see those votes guys!

It was tough for the staff to choose these 3...so c'mon members pick your favorite!!

fezrock
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
271 views, 22 votes. C'mon now y'all, it takes seconds. Show some love!

TideFan22
08-21-2011, 11:37 PM
It wont let me vote, it just says u may not vote on this poll, wtf. Edit: DUHHH I didn't realize I wasn't signed in on the browser site

From my newly updated Simply Stunning X

woodfielder
08-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Waaaat. Howd my story not get top3! It was funny and atleast it wasnt a novel!

Sent from the guy behind you

MICHO
08-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Yah vote! Yah vote! Yah you for voting!

MICHO
08-23-2011, 02:47 AM
If you're on dxf app, hit the hard menu button, and choose browser. The poll will appear like magic! Then you can vote.

So get your vote on!

fezrock
08-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Vote vote vote!

HarleyDude
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
OK, I just did the math, help me out here
We have over 45000 members!! WOW!
There are 350 of you members online RIGHT NOW
In looking at the poll, I see we have 30 votes, so

I am thinking,
some of you haven't voted yet, or do I just have the math wrong?

HarleyDude
08-23-2011, 05:59 PM
And to the almost 3000 guests visiting right now...
Take a minute and join DXF, you won't be disappointed

smalltowngirl13
08-23-2011, 08:14 PM
OK, I just did the math, help me out here
We have over 45000 members!! WOW!
There are 350 of you members online RIGHT NOW
In looking at the poll, I see we have 30 votes, so

I am thinking,
some of you haven't voted yet, or do I just have the math wrong?

Math never was my best subject but I think you are right on target here :big smile:...

smalltowngirl13
08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
And to the almost 3000 guests visiting right now...
Take a minute and join DXF, you won't be disappointed

Maybe we need a chant...those on the right side of the room, chant...vote, vote, vote, vote, vote, vote...
Those on the left side of the room, chant....register, register, register, register, register...

fernbch
08-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Vote
Register
Vote
Register
Vote
Register

Edit: Well, I tried to get vote on one side and register on the other, but it didn't work.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

fezrock
08-23-2011, 08:46 PM
V....

fezrock
O....

fezrock
T....

fezrock
E!!!!

fezrock
08-23-2011, 08:47 PM
If you can spell it , you can do it. It's that easy!

HarleyDude
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
ReVotegister

smalltowngirl13
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
If you can spell it , you can do it. It's that easy!

It's so easy a caveman can do it :big smile:...

MICHO
08-23-2011, 09:50 PM
It's so easy a caveman can do it :big smile:...

Ya me!

smalltowngirl13
08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Vote
Register
Vote
Register
Vote
Register

Edit: Well, I tried to get vote on one side and register on the other, but it didn't work.

Here, I helped ya :big smile:...

Now - what he said...

fezrock
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
It's gonna take lots of time for me to find and ban 45000 members for not voting. Please, think of the poor kittens.

smalltowngirl13
08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
It's gonna take lots of time for me to find and ban 45000 members for not voting. Please, think of the poor kittens.

Good one!

~~ sent from my x~~

HarleyDude
08-23-2011, 10:33 PM
almost 400 members online, I am asking each of you listed below to vote in the poll

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37845703/00members.jpg

fezrock
08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Bump, vote!

Then bump this thread!!!

fezrock
08-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Morning bump.

Come vote! Just takes a few seconds.

MICHO
08-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Yah! I found the vote button! Wanna try?

sgthwjack
08-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Shouldn't be too hard, even I managed to do it! LOL

MICHO
08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Shouldn't be too hard, even I managed to do it! LOL

Yah for you doing it!

Droidgasm
08-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Come on, guys and gals, vote!

fezrock
08-24-2011, 02:16 PM

We can see you. You're not voting! You're disappointing Charlie Sheen .

MICHO
08-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Vote peeps and you to can feel like a winner!

Seamore5
08-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I voted and i`m a democrat lol.....

smalltowngirl13
08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Yay for Seamore...who else is gonna vote!!

Scrapy McSlappy
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I voted earlier.......

smalltowngirl13
08-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I voted earlier.......

Yay for kc5tdr!!

Scrapy McSlappy
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey stg you spelled my name wrong...i have no caps.

I expect an apology...lol :p

smalltowngirl13
08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey stg you spelled my name wrong...i have no caps.

I expect an apology...lol :p

My sincerest apologies...I have corrected my mistake, don't send the emu's after me!

~~ sent from my x~~

Scrapy McSlappy
08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Lol. I wont, at least for now.........

smalltowngirl13
08-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Lol. I wont, at least for now.........

For now... that isn't very comforting...:wink:

~~ sent from my x~~

Scrapy McSlappy
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Ok. I'll make sure to add you to the do not attack list.

MICHO
08-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Ok. I'll make sure to add you to the do not attack list.

Can I be on the barking spiders list?? I likes dem

Scrapy McSlappy
08-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Can I be on the barking spiders list?? I likes dem

only if you promise not to Bar B Que them. lol

MICHO
08-25-2011, 01:27 AM
only if you promise not to Bar B Que them. lol

Can I smoke em??

Scrapy McSlappy
08-25-2011, 01:29 AM
I love smoked meat so I guess so......just make sure to let me know when it done. lol

mugz91
08-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Can I smoke em??

I dunno if you could fit 'em in the rolling papers...
Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Scrapy McSlappy
08-25-2011, 01:36 AM
lmao @ mugz91

MICHO
08-25-2011, 04:04 AM

Idono ... that's a good sized barking spider ....

MICHO
08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Vote! Vote! Vote! Come one come all come get your vote on!

Droidgasm
08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Come on, people, vote! I need that car dock! The safety of my firstborn is in your hands!

Kidding.

No.....no. Not kidding. VOTE!

MICHO
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Come on, people, vote! I need that car dock! The safety of my firstborn is in your hands!

Kidding.

No.....no. Not kidding. VOTE!

Good one lol!

DirtyDroid
08-25-2011, 05:00 PM

We can see you. You're not voting! You're disappointing Charlie Sheen .

I voted like 3 days ago...lol

HarleyDude
08-26-2011, 09:01 PM
VOTE!
VoTe!
vOtE!
Less than 2 days left to VOTE

fezrock
08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Vooooootttttte!

VOTE!

Do it now! Don't put it off, or you will miss your chance. 2 days left.

You're still reading this!?

Vote now! Just one easy click.

HarleyDude
08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
we could go thru DXF and lock down all the threads except for this one, that way everyone would have to post here and we'd get some voters

JNEHAMA
08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Civic duty done.

fezrock
08-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Civic duty done.

Great job!

nemosfate
08-27-2011, 12:03 AM
You would think more people would want to
I know I voted within the first couple of hours if this thread being up!

root, roms and themes oh my!

HarleyDude
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Civic duty done.

Thank you JNEHAMA

Now, please, some of the 1100+ who have viewed this
VOTE
Less than a day left to VOTE
VOTE now

Droidgasm
08-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, it's down to the wire. Please vote.

smalltowngirl13
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Members...if you have not voted, please vote!

If you have voted, thank you!

Now with that said....vote, vote, vote, vote! :big smile:...please and thank you!!

fezrock
08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Last chance!

Vote now!

Make your voice heard!

If your fave loses, you have nobody to blame but yourself ;)

MommyDroid
08-28-2011, 09:21 PM
I thought the contest was open through tonight. Why is it closed so early in the evening? I need to vote.

fernbch
08-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Forgive me if I sound a little excited, but are these the official results?? If so, Woohoo!!!

MICHO
08-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Forgive me if I sound a little excited, but are these the official results?? If so, Woohoo!!!

Yep lol .. got your own thread too..

http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35822
[Announcement] - Newest DXF Giveaway WINNER!!!