PDA

View Full Version : 2nd-init for GB kernel

brewcrewwheels
08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
i'm not the brightest bulb, but it sounds like he got it working. could this be the end of settling for poor battery life for cm and miui for dx? we'll have to wait and see...

Still Loading ... blog:2011-08-18:time for_some_motorola_merging (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-08-18/time_for_some_motorola_merging)

milski65
08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Just read that. Holy crap.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

macpro88
08-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Yup, its working, just bootlooping, just needs to update all the lib files to work on the kernel, so we are close!

brewcrewwheels
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
sweeet. i knew i made the right choice sticking with this phone

zoe
08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
if there's one thing i hate it's waiting for something really good but that has an undetermined release. hopefully the testing goes well, without unexpected chaos...

gb kernel will make a world of difference I'm sure, plus he's finally getting some of razorlove's fixes merged in. and if i read him correctly, the changes will bring the dx, d2 and global close together in terms of running the same base (?) maybe motorola / google should consider hiring him...

way to much awesome-ness coming shortly it seems.

the black dog runs at night

Nemo aeternamn
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
The horizons looking brighter and brighter...
: D

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

LiveToPonder
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
awesome! ty for sharing

chuck54
08-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Woah woah wait. So with an unlocked bootloader you don't need to sbf to flash a ROM with a lower build version? Like I could flash liberty 2.01 over miui for example?!??!!

chuck54
08-18-2011, 10:26 PM
What I mean is since this would be like having an unlocked bootloader. So would this lead to being able to flashing kernels?

Sent from my DROIDX running liquid 2.6 while my Chevy (ssx) is broke..... boohoo

Nemo aeternamn
08-18-2011, 10:43 PM
no... this is not like having an unlocked bootloader... because we can't install custom kernals...
this only allows us to kinda side step the bootloader...

chuck54
08-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Well darn.... well I'm definitely getting a job in computer programing so I can tinker with it in 8 Years haha

Sent from my DROIDX running liquid 2.6 while my Chevy (ssx) is broke..... boohoo

Nemo aeternamn
08-19-2011, 01:05 AM
haha... the hard part with the kernel.. is... i believe it has like... 2048 bit encryption.... a little over kill if ya ask me... so you have to crack that... to unlock the bootloader... unless motorola and verizion decide to unlock it for us

chuck54
08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
So I don't understand still, what does this allow us to do?

macpro88
08-19-2011, 09:36 AM
haha... the hard part with the kernel.. is... i believe it has like... 2048 bit encryption.... a little over kill if ya ask me... so you have to crack that... to unlock the bootloader... unless motorola and verizion decide to unlock it for us

Correction, its the bootloader that is encrypted, not the kernel. The kernel may also be encrypted, but having the locked bootloader prevents us from swapping out the kernel. So we need to unlock the bootloader first before we can get to the kernel.

Having access to being able to swap out kernels gives devs free range of the entire phone's hardware and coding, leaving nothing untouched. Basically allows us to run source based ROM's like CM7 etc natively, which is a lot better than using 2nd-INIT. It also allows for complete customization of CPU, memory, camera software etc. The reason the camera don't work on CM7 is cause of the kernel restrictions, sure there is a fix, but its not built from source like everything should be.

Like I said, it just opens the door to the devs for complete customization.

chuck54
08-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Oooh so it is just a suuuuper customization add on?

macpro88
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Oooh so it is just a suuuuper customization add on?

Well, sorta, whatever is added in when the dev creates the kernel. It would allow us to have the actual, unbroken versions of MIUI, CM7, SSX, OMFGB, etc, without having to use 2nd-INIT. Generally when flashing different kernels, battery life is also better as well, since 2nd-INIT currently relies on the old kernel from Froyo, which is the reason the battery life stunk.

Nemo aeternamn
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Correction, its the bootloader that is encrypted, not the kernel. The kernel may also be encrypted, but having the locked bootloader prevents us from swapping out the kernel. So we need to unlock the bootloader first before we can get to the kernel.

Having access to being able to swap out kernels gives devs free range of the entire phone's hardware and coding, leaving nothing untouched. Basically allows us to run source based ROM's like CM7 etc natively, which is a lot better than using 2nd-INIT. It also allows for complete customization of CPU, memory, camera software etc. The reason the camera don't work on CM7 is cause of the kernel restrictions, sure there is a fix, but its not built from source like everything should be.

Like I said, it just opens the door to the devs for complete customization.

Ash... I see... Grass hopper had taking notes...
Thank you got correcting me and explaining it

macpro88
08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Ash... I see... Grass hopper had taking notes...
Thank you got correcting me and explaining it

Its all very confusing, I sill don't get a lot of it as I'm not a dev, but this is the way I understood everything lol.

The structure as I see it: From bottom up: a. Hardware (CPU etc...) b. kernel c. bootloader d. Android e. crap skins (lol)

I'm sure there is a lot more in between though....

chuck54
08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Any updates yet?

fezrock
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Nope. @cvpcs has been silent for 20 hours. Working and coding, no doubt. Give him some time. This won't be released overnight. Right now, it's in "didn't break the phone" stage. Now he needs to get it booted up, and then more work. Then testing. Then a test group. Then we may get a beta to play with.

So... Patience is the word of the day for now. I'm sure anything related that he posts or tweets will show up here within seconds.

chuck54
08-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Well I'm rooting for him and thanx! Can't wait to see it!

fezrock
08-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Just follow @cvpcs on Twitter and be the first to post news here.

chuck54
09-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Sorry I don't have a twitter, any progress?

bigmook
09-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Sweet

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fezrock
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Sorry I don't have a twitter, any progress?

Got an alpha version out now,but intended for testing by folks who can help fix bugs. And curious folks like me that just want to try it ;)

I suggest waiting for the public beta release before trying it tho.

There's another thread here discussing it, but I couldn't find it in this brief work break of mine.

chuck54
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Oh sweet! So this is the end of our 1 and only froyo kernel?!

TideFan22
09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
No weve had the gb kernel since gb was releaesed, just couldnt get the source roms cm7 etc, to run off it till recently

Sent from cm7 on the GB kernel

fezrock
09-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Newest release:

Via @RevNumbers: New #CM4DX-GB build has been released:
http://t.co/Le3cWK7
MD5: 776e87bc927accf7b3e014af7b4f0d4d

Nemo aeternamn
09-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Newest release:

Via @RevNumbers: New #CM4DX-GB build has been released:
http://t.co/Le3cWK7
MD5: 776e87bc927accf7b3e014af7b4f0d4d

Awesome... Downloading now

TideFan22
09-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Just finished download fixing to flash

Running MIUI and loving it

chuck54
09-02-2011, 11:27 PM
How would you flash it? Just like any other zip file or do you have to wipe somethings?

Nemo aeternamn
09-02-2011, 11:34 PM
How would you flash it? Just like any other zip file or do you have to wipe somethings?

are you already on a previous build of the ginger kernel cm7? if so... then you just need to wipe dalvik cache...

if your on the official build on the froyo kernel... you need to get on rooted 602 then flash

bigmook
09-03-2011, 01:42 AM
And if you are on cm7 froyo do a backup,get to cm4dxgb and do an advanced data restore and you are Don in a flash

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk