PDA

View Full Version : I shot my 596 in the foot

sora72
08-17-2011, 11:31 PM
First time posting here and am hoping to understand my options for the following problem. I took my Froyo DX to one of the leaked GB 588 releases earlier this spring and then ran Gingerbreak for root. Both tasks were successful. Then I downloaded Droid X bootstrapper to load the leaked version of 596. After that was successful, I installed a Wifi tether app (maybe from TBH ?). The device has been working awesome (Gingerbread and Wifi tether). Now it all goes downhill fast. I recently tried installing Verizon's latest 602 OTA update (immediately regret), which didn't work. I thought maybe that it didn't update because I had rooted the device. To "test" this, I unrooted with Gingerbreak (bad move), which made no difference. Now I can't reroot with Gingerbreak. Looks like I saw that GB 596 can't be rooted? What are my options to regain root? Sbf back to Froyo, then reinstall a leaked pre-596 GB release (like 588) and then reroot with Gingerbreak? Then flash back 596 or 602? Or is there a way to "reroot" my current 596? Can I just flash my current device with a rooted 602 release? I appreciate any help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dig'em
08-18-2011, 12:12 AM
You almost got it. The two part gingerbread from tbh is pre rooted.
Install that from froyo after you sbf and use Droid 2 bootstrap to install the 2 part gingerbread.

You should then be on rooted gingerbread without using gingerbreak.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Nemo aeternamn
08-18-2011, 12:16 AM
you can install the prerooted 602 if you wanna try it.. i've heard that one is alot better then the 596... so your option to get root is to
1. make a back up... tibu(or whatever you have[i use my backup pro])
2. make a nandroid(back up in bootstrap...[this never hurts to do when your messing around])
3. install the prerooted 602[like i said earlier i'd recommend using this build as opposed to 596... alot less problems...])
4. restore the back up you made with what ever back up app you have

Nemo aeternamn
08-18-2011, 12:19 AM
here's the link to help guide you to rooted 602 Official Gingerbread update 4.5.602 (rooted and ready) or Stock. (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/8771-official-gingerbread-update-4-5-602-rooted-ready-stock.html)

sora72
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Ok. I owe you guys an update. Sorry it took so long, but I was out of town on vacation when I posted my initial question. Got back home on yesterday and embarked on my first sbf. I know you guys know the routine, but I thought I would share my experience with semi-detailed steps (as best as I can remember) for any others who may happen across this post with similar issues that I had.

1) I downloaded RSD Lite 4.9 and installed in on my Windows 7 laptop (found from a Google search)
2) In downloaded the latest Motorola Droid X drivers from Motorola's support site
3) I downloaded a full sbf of Froyo 340 (found from a Google search)
4) Downloaded the pre-rooted Gingerbread 602 files. I grabbed the 2-part files as well as the single file (more on that later)
5) Made a backup of app data to sd card with Super Manager
6) Powered off the Droid X
7) Booted the Droid X in the stock bootloader by holding down Power + Camera Button + Volume Up Button
8) Started RSD Lite on my laptop
9) Plugged Droid X up to usb cable (after booting into stock bootloader)
10) Clicked on "Show Device" in RSD Lite
11) Clicked on "..." button to browse for full Froyo 340 sbf file
12) Clicked on Start to begin sbf process

** Here is where I ran into issues ***

13) RSD Lite sbf process went through its normal routines and finally got to 99%. But it kept failing and indicating that it couldn't restart phone. I researched many posts where folks were saying to redownload or download a new sbf file, and/or reinstall the latest Moto Droid X drivers. I did all those things with no luck. The sbf process kept failing. Still not sweating at this point because I KNOW folks on this forum are smart and helpful. I finally ran across a post where someone mentioned that there could be a problem with Windows 7 and Moto Droid X drivers and that he was able to perform the same sbf tasks successfully on Windows XP. So I installed everything on a Windows XP laptop and used the same sbf file from before. Worked like a charm. Apparently, the Moto Droid X drivers on the Windows 7 laptop didn't allow RSD Lite to power the Droid X off after the 99% mark. The Windows XP laptop had no problem. When the sbf process reached the 99% mark, it powered the phone off and back on and then completed the task.
14) After the sbf'ing back to Froyo, the device got stuck on the White Moto logo. I was able to get around that by:
14a) Pulling the battery
14b) Booting into Droid X recovery mode by pressing Power + Home Button
14c) Once into recovery mode, I chose to do a factory reset and wipe user data
14d) After that, I pulled the batter and let the device boot up normally (which it did fine)
15) The device booted into Froyo 340
16) I went through the normal activation of the device by pressing through all of the menus and calling VZW to activate the phone through their automated phone tree.

** Now updating to MB 602 **
17) Thinking that my device was now at stock 340, I should be able to follow the 2nd upgrade path in the link that Nemo attached.
18) I moved the single 602 file to the root of the sd card after renaming it to "update.zip"
19) Rebooted phone into recovery mode by pressing Power + Home Button
20) Chose to install update.zip from sd card
21) The update failed. I tried this several times with the same result.
22) I pulled the battery and made sure USB Debugging was on and followed steps 19 - 21 again. Same results.
23) I then booted the device normally and moved the 2-part pre-rooted MB 602 zip files to the sd card.
24) In order to install these files, I was pretty sure I needed to install Droid X bootstrapper which required root. So I installed Gingerbreak and rooted device.
25) Then I installed Droid X bootstrapper.
26) Once done, I chose rebooted into recover mode (from within Droid X Bootstrapper app, I pressed "Bootstrap Recovery" and then "Reboot Recovery").
27) From within the DX Boot recovery, I chose to install the first zip file, and then the second zip file (which was successful).
28) After the install was complete, I chose to reboot the device.
29) The device booted into MB 602 with no problem.

** That's it. I hope I remembered all of the steps and used the correct terminology correctly.

Thanks for your assistance with this issue. You guys and everyone else that contributes to these forums are great! Hopefully my experience with this issue and the documentation I provided will help someone else out.

Brad92
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Ok. I owe you guys an update. Sorry it took so long, but I was out of town on vacation when I posted my initial question. Got back home on yesterday and embarked on my first sbf. I know you guys know the routine, but I thought I would share my experience with semi-detailed steps (as best as I can remember) for any others who may happen across this post with similar issues that I had.

1) I downloaded RSD Lite 4.9 and installed in on my Windows 7 laptop (found from a Google search)
2) In downloaded the latest Motorola Droid X drivers from Motorola's support site
3) I downloaded a full sbf of Froyo 340 (found from a Google search)
4) Downloaded the pre-rooted Gingerbread 602 files. I grabbed the 2-part files as well as the single file (more on that later)
5) Made a backup of app data to sd card with Super Manager
6) Powered off the Droid X
7) Booted the Droid X in the stock bootloader by holding down Power + Camera Button + Volume Up Button
8) Started RSD Lite on my laptop
9) Plugged Droid X up to usb cable (after booting into stock bootloader)
10) Clicked on "Show Device" in RSD Lite
11) Clicked on "..." button to browse for full Froyo 340 sbf file
12) Clicked on Start to begin sbf process

** Here is where I ran into issues ***

13) RSD Lite sbf process went through its normal routines and finally got to 99%. But it kept failing and indicating that it couldn't restart phone. I researched many posts where folks were saying to redownload or download a new sbf file, and/or reinstall the latest Moto Droid X drivers. I did all those things with no luck. The sbf process kept failing. Still not sweating at this point because I KNOW folks on this forum are smart and helpful. I finally ran across a post where someone mentioned that there could be a problem with Windows 7 and Moto Droid X drivers and that he was able to perform the same sbf tasks successfully on Windows XP. So I installed everything on a Windows XP laptop and used the same sbf file from before. Worked like a charm. Apparently, the Moto Droid X drivers on the Windows 7 laptop didn't allow RSD Lite to power the Droid X off after the 99% mark. The Windows XP laptop had no problem. When the sbf process reached the 99% mark, it powered the phone off and back on and then completed the task.
14) After the sbf'ing back to Froyo, the device got stuck on the White Moto logo. I was able to get around that by:
14a) Pulling the battery
14b) Booting into Droid X recovery mode by pressing Power + Home Button
14c) Once into recovery mode, I chose to do a factory reset and wipe user data
14d) After that, I pulled the batter and let the device boot up normally (which it did fine)
15) The device booted into Froyo 340
16) I went through the normal activation of the device by pressing through all of the menus and calling VZW to activate the phone through their automated phone tree.

** Now updating to MB 602 **
17) Thinking that my device was now at stock 340, I should be able to follow the 2nd upgrade path in the link that Nemo attached.
18) I moved the single 602 file to the root of the sd card after renaming it to "update.zip"
19) Rebooted phone into recovery mode by pressing Power + Home Button
20) Chose to install update.zip from sd card
21) The update failed. I tried this several times with the same result.
22) I pulled the battery and made sure USB Debugging was on and followed steps 19 - 21 again. Same results.
23) I then booted the device normally and moved the 2-part pre-rooted MB 602 zip files to the sd card.
24) In order to install these files, I was pretty sure I needed to install Droid X bootstrapper which required root. So I installed Gingerbreak and rooted device.
25) Then I installed Droid X bootstrapper.
26) Once done, I chose rebooted into recover mode (from within Droid X Bootstrapper app, I pressed "Bootstrap Recovery" and then "Reboot Recovery").
27) From within the DX Boot recovery, I chose to install the first zip file, and then the second zip file (which was successful).
28) After the install was complete, I chose to reboot the device.
29) The device booted into MB 602 with no problem.

** That's it. I hope I remembered all of the steps and used the correct terminology correctly.

Thanks for your assistance with this issue. You guys and everyone else that contributes to these forums are great! Hopefully my experience with this issue and the documentation I provided will help someone else out.

Glad you got it running .602.

random rom'd X

Nemo aeternamn
08-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks got the update...
Good to hear you got things up and running...

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer