PDA

View Full Version : [BREAKING NEWS] Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion

macpro88
08-15-2011, 09:34 AM
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/macpro88/google-motorola-600x185.jpg

Yep, you are reading that title correctly. Google is acquiring Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion in a move that was clearly made because of Moto’s massive patent portfolio. Both boards unanimously approved the decision – Google now looks to “supercharge” the Android operating system and enhance competition in the mobile space.

Notes from conference call:

Update 1: Most of the questions from media and investors on the call clearly has to do with patents and licensing – something Google or Motorola won’t give many details about, but you can tell that they are very pleased with this partnership. Moto’s some 17,000 patents greatly strengthens and helps protect Andr0id.

Update 2: And just so you know, both Larry Page and Andy Rubin have already said multiple times that Android remains open. Rubin spoke with the top 5 manufacturers yesterday and made it very clear to all of them that nothing has changed. Motorola will operate as its own company and Android will remain open to use as it has been. The idea here is that it gives Google a chance to “supercharge” the OS.

Update 3: You can view Larry Page’s comments on the acquisition here (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html).

Update 4: Andy Rubin still expects the Nexus series to be a competition between manufacturers. Just because they own Motorola now, doesn’t mean that every new Nexus device will be from Moto. They will have to compete along with HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. to put together a phone that Google would be proud to brand as a Nexus.

Update 5: Call is over, Larry seems more-than-thrilled. As are we, Larry.

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Combination will Supercharge Android, Enhance Competition, and Offer Wonderful User Experiences

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. & LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Aug. 15, 2011 – Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) and Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: MMI) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Google will acquire Motorola Mobility for $40.00 per share in cash, or a total of about $12.5 billion, a premium of 63% to the closing price of Motorola Mobility shares on Friday, August 12, 2011. The transaction was unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies.

The acquisition of Motorola Mobility, a dedicated Android partner, will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem and will enhance competition in mobile computing. Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.

Larry Page, CEO of Google, said, “Motorola Mobility’s total commitment to Android has created a natural fit for our two companies. Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers. I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.”

Sanjay Jha, CEO of Motorola Mobility, said, “This transaction offers significant value for Motorola Mobility’s stockholders and provides compelling new opportunities for our employees, customers, and partners around the world. We have shared a productive partnership with Google to advance the Android platform, and now through this combination we will be able to do even more to innovate and deliver outstanding mobility solutions across our mobile devices and home businesses.”

Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President of Mobile at Google, said, “We expect that this combination will enable us to break new ground for the Android ecosystem. However, our vision for Android is unchanged and Google remains firmly committed to Android as an open platform and a vibrant open source community. We will continue to work with all of our valued Android partners to develop and distribute innovative Android-powered devices.”

The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US, the European Union and other jurisdictions, and the approval of Motorola Mobility’s stockholders. The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2011 or early 2012

Webcast Information

Google and Motorola Mobility will hold a conference call with financial analysts to discuss this announcement today at 8:30am ET. The toll-free dial-in number for the call is 877-616-4476 (conference ID: 92149124). The call will also be webcast live athttp://investor.shareholder.com/media/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=101369&CompanyID=ABEA-3VZHGF&e=1&mediaKey=A21887C59EBAAC12F1BCF4D43C080953. The webcast version of the conference call will be available through the same link following the conference call.

About Motorola Mobility
Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people’s lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visit motorola.com/mobility.

Sources:
Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility Enabling Android to “Break New Ground” (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/15/google-to-acquire-motorola-mobility-enabling-android-to-break-new-ground/)
Initial Reaction and Thoughts on Google’s Acquisition of Motorola - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/15/initial-reaction-and-thoughts-on-googles-acquisition-of-motorola/)
Motorola Competitors Comment on Google’s Acquisition; Everyone Approves (http://phandroid.com/2011/08/15/motorola-competitors-comment-on-googles-acquisition-everyone-approves/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitterhttp://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html?m=1)

fc127
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Just read this. Thats awesome for android!

From Miui on my DX

Wulf
08-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Very promising.

What rom am I on? He'll, whatever one just got updated...

LiveToPonder
08-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Come on unlocked boots...

fc127
08-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Come on unlocked boots...

That's still up to Verizon

From Miui on my DX

smalltowngirl13
08-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Moving to News section.

~~ sent from my x~~

CAEM X
08-15-2011, 09:50 AM
thays still up to verizon

from miui on my dx

damn it !!!!!

gbrinn
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Saw this. It's huge news...Look out, crApple!

OldEmt
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Not going to be surprised if Apple tries to cut in and try to outbid Google.

Sent from Vivian, my DX

dylandaniel91
08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
That's still up to Verizon

From Miui on my DX

I'm not doubting you, but isn't it motos decision? I mean the petition was to Motorola, right?

Also, what could this mean? What entails "supercharging"?
Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

macpro88
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Even though the unlocked phones is still up to Verizon, with Google on top now, they can be way more persuasive than Motorola was by themselves. So chances are looking a lot better now for us ;)

dylandaniel91
08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Ohhhh. Ok I see. Well hopefully that will happen. I'd love to start messing around with kernels.

fc127
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm not doubting you, but isn't it motos decision? I mean the petition was to Motorola, right?

Well, allow me to rephrase... Motorola can unlock the bootloaders, but Verizon may or may not allow them on their network.

Wulf
08-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Doesn't that mean google making an OS specific to a device like what apple does?

macpro88
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Doesn't that mean google making an OS specific to a device like what apple does?

I would say so, using Moto phones as their flagship phones now, future moto phones might have pure google, or better yet, a good skin of google and moto and get rid of that crapblur. moto phones would hopefully be the first android phones to get all the nice google updates.

Leach19m
08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
This is exciting!

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

cory46
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
They said in the conference call that the nexus devices would still be competition between all android manufacturers. So Moto wouldn't be the only nexus flagship device

gbrinn
08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I would say so, using Moto phones as their flagship phones now, future moto phones might have pure google, or better yet, a good skin of google and moto and get rid of that crapblur. moto phones would hopefully be the first android phones to get all the nice google updates.
^ This, +10, please!!!!

zoe
08-15-2011, 11:31 AM
GOOGLE, UNLOCK MY BOOTLOADER PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, that's out of my system...

the black dog runs at night

dylandaniel91
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Well, allow me to rephrase... Motorola can unlock the bootloaders, but Verizon may or may not allow them on their network.

Oh ok. Like I said, wasn't jumping on you or anything. Just making sure I'm up to date. Anyway this sounds exciting! Looking forward to the next couple years worth of phones!

Garemlin
08-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Oh please, please let this mark the end of blur. Pure Google Experience phones from Moto from here on out would be awesome.

macpro88
08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh please, please let this mark the end of blur. Pure Google Experience phones from Moto from here on out would be awesome.

You can say that again, or even a new Blur that Google assisted with would be sweet as well. Cause lets face it, Motorola builds good hardware, but severely lacks in the mobile software department....

Gomerm
08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
You can say that again, or even a new Blur that Google assisted with would be sweet as well. Cause lets face it, Motorola builds good hardware, but severely lacks in the mobile software department....

I agree some what. Some blur is pretty awesome. I still think the blur camera is by far the best. I just want to pick what blur I want.

Garemlin
08-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Or better yet they should hire Frederico Carnalas. LOL

nemosfate
08-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I agree some what. Some blur is pretty awesome. I still think the blur camera is by far the best. I just want to pick what blur I want.

I agree with this! I do like some blur.....
And about the bootloader didn't htc unlock a phone on verizon??

root, roms and themes oh my!

v1nce
08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
While I'm beyond happy to hear that Google is buying the manufacturer of my beloved phone, I am sad that to realize the changes we want to see (pure Google phone, unlocked boot loader, trimmed down Blur etc) are probably 6 months away as they need to purchase the company and then start making changes.

But that won't stop me from crossing fingers that once they are approved to buy Motorola that Motorola will implement some changes like unlock their boot loaders before the purchase is complete. Now that wouldbe very, very cool!

DirtyDroid
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
+1...maybe in time for my contract end ..excited lol

gbrinn
08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Let's hope Apple doesn't sue to block the acquisition. I could see where, given their pursuit of "copyright" infringements against HTC, et al, that Uncle Steve might try to block this as anti-competitive.

The persuader
08-16-2011, 11:37 AM
More of the latter choice

Its Bubba

SB50
08-17-2011, 04:19 AM
I really hope they don't change anything. I've always liked Motorola, the E815 was ahead of its time.

The persuader
08-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Most of the Time...when Acquisitions by the Principal...(Googles)...Change is Imminate...Maybe, the changes won't happen for about 1 year or until they get their Ducts Lined Up to consolidate or Spin Off what they dont wont......

fsand
08-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Most of the Time...when Acquisitions by the Principal...(Googles)...Change is Imminate...Maybe, the changes won't happen for about 1 year or until they get their Ducts Lined Up to consolidate or Spin Off what they dont wont......

Alright I will leave imminate alone, but are you in the hvac business? Otherwise that would be "their ducks in a row" :P Sorry Bubba, but I owe you one from the last time we met :)

Frankly though I think this acquisition is just smart business. They see that their product is in jeopardy, or could be, they could have spent 10x this much to buy the portfolio that took MS, Intel, and whoever else to buy about a month ago, instead they decided to go another way, and buy out Motorola Mobility to protect their position, thus saving themselves a sh*t load of cash, and accomplishing the same task. Two birds, one stone, and a good move imho. I really don't think they intend to get into the hardware business so much as to solidify their place in the industry. It just makes sense that if you are going to be in the cell phone business you might want to have the ability to have someone spec your hardware if push comes to shove. Many have done it, in the past and currently very successfully. I think this is going to be good for everyone, all around. If Android is to rule it needs some kevlar, here's to hoping this is it!

thejamhole
08-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Lets start a betting pool. Unlocked bootloaders, what devices, and most importantly, when? Will they unlock all previous devices or just anything that comes out from now on? So many questions, so little answers.

Sent from my liberated dx. justice is served.

v1nce
08-18-2011, 08:05 AM
I think when the acquisition is complete there will be some unlocked bootloaders on some devices, not all to make carriers happy and maybe a few choice previous handsets will get unlocked as well. But even though I want that to happen with my X by the time the deal is done and those changes come down the pipe I will have a new phone (made my Moto of course).

ilorso
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Lets start a betting pool. Unlocked bootloaders, what devices, and most importantly, when? Will they unlock all previous devices or just anything that comes out from now on? So many questions, so little answers.

Sent from my liberated dx. justice is served.

From what I understand they haven't finalized the deal yet, so we have to wait until Motorola has officially been made a part of Google. As for the devices...I sure hope x will be on the list of the lucky ones :p Knowing Google love vanilla version of Android (ex: Nexus series), there's a high probability that all of the device, at least the successful ones, will be unlocked. And of course less Blury

Hostility6
08-29-2011, 11:14 PM
This is exciting!

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

LOL, at "My name is Mike", :LOL: Good stuff right here!! I feel the same, modding till I die:big smile:!!!!!!!!!!