PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Init Round Up

fernbch
08-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Looking for info opinions on 2nd init roms. I'm currently runnin DarkSlideX and like the stability and battery life. I've read enough that I'm now thirsty for more. So without further ado....

Is there a good read to find out more? I like the idea of custom kernels, themes, and everything else. What about stability, battery life, and features. Hdmi support would be great. After that I'm sure there is more to find out such as blurless or blurry, etc. How abour program compatibility? I currently have Android Overclock, Root Explorer, D2 Bootstrap, Dolphin HD, TiBu, and a few others.

Also, what is available? Opinions, pros, cons, etc are requested and welcome.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

cory46
08-14-2011, 04:08 PM
No custom kernel, all apps should work and check this out people have given opinions

http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34316

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

fernbch
08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a read. Question, in the first post of the thread it mentions DarkSlideX. Is it 2nd init? I'm currently running it and was unaware of that possibility.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

cory46
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Nope it is not a 2nd init rom, is off of 596 Moto gingerbread

macpro88
08-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Here's a good read on 2nd and all this stuff, also, the blog link in this thread does a great job at explaining 2nd-init and what it does and don't do.

zoe
08-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Here's a good read on 2nd and all this stuff, also, the blog link in this thread does a great job at explaining 2nd-init and what it does and don't do.

mac... not seeing anything linked, did you hit the submit button prematurely?

the black dog runs at night

fernbch
08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
I think he's talking about the link in post #2. Good info in that thread.

As far aa DSX being a 2nd, i didn't think so. It just threw me off a little.

macpro88
08-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Whoops, sorry about that lol, here is the link i intended to post lol

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/33387-how-ready-flash-gb-2nd-init-roms.html

Nemo aeternamn
08-14-2011, 11:59 PM
a little tid bit... with the 2nd init roms... they have clock work built in... so you don't install bootstrap in them... or you'll bootloop...
and dsx... if i'm thinking correctly... that's a 596 rom... and not a 2nd init rom... because dsx came out first...
so a quick sbf root and bootstrap you can on the amazing roms of pure aosp roms... the newer ones that have come out... on android system 2.3.5... battery life is starting to get pretty decent... espeically with a quick undervolt from android overclock... and also liquid gingerbread... (2.6 got released a week ago... and is really nice) it actually has tibu preinstalled.. and i know root explorer works... even though i use ghost commander... plenty of others use it on these roms... and i have dolphin browser up and running... but unfortunately with these aosp roms... hdmi doesn't work... atleast yet...
my favorite roms are cm7(currently running nightly 58) nightlies can be found CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=cdma_shadow) and the change log is CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Ace (http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=cdma_shadow
j)ustice is good... but you have to have the paid rom toolbox(formerly liberty toolbox) to get it as of right now...
and liquid is really sick...

fernbch
08-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Great info!! Keep it comin!! I did find out either I mis-read or misunderstood about dsx. It's not a 2nd. I didn't think it was as I didn't have to do anything special. What I read just threw me off a little.

fernbch
08-15-2011, 06:41 PM
OK, I have another question about the kernel. Currently my kernel is 2.6.32.9-g34b306dqgd748@il9lnxdroid9#1 . If I understand correctly the 2.6.32.9 kernel (Froyo based) is where you need to be to install a 2nd init rom. Since I'm running DSX (pre-rooted 596 GB build), but appear to have the right kernel, can I go ahead with a 2nd? I do realize I need to start with an SBF to froyo, but I just want to be sure.

aramiscrimson
08-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Yep...sbf to froyo and fire up any 2nd init you want....just do not install or use bootstraps

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

Nemo aeternamn
08-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Yep...sbf to froyo and fire up any 2nd init you want....just do not install or use bootstraps

He's meaning you don't need bootstrap once you are on the 2nd init rom as they have it preinstalled... How ever you do need it after you sbf to get to the first rom

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

fernbch
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. Now all I need to do is decide on which ROM to try first. I like some of the blur but without the bloat, hdmi or and app for it would be cool, a good camera app, decent tools, speed and stability, plus good battery life would be nice. Oh, and this is important too, good support.

aramiscrimson
08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Not gonna find alot of that. No blur. No bloat. No HDMI. Just speed and free memory

gbrinn
08-16-2011, 03:11 AM
That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure. Now all I need to do is decide on which ROM to try first. I like some of the blur but without the bloat, hdmi or and app for it would be cool, a good camera app, decent tools, speed and stability, plus good battery life would be nice. Oh, and this is important too, good support.

Darkslide (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-roms/8097-darkslide-x-here.html) has the Blur without the bloat. I'm loving it so far and by reputation, has fantastic battery life.

fernbch
08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm runnin darkslidex currently. Although it's not 2nd init, it's still nice. Decent battery life, customizable, and pretty snappy. There are a couple minor bugs I would love to see fixed, some of the less used text boxes have dark text and dark background, and with some apps I can't read the notification text on the drop down. Other than that it's good overall.

tribals
08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
I just flashed MIUI last night and it has a ton of customization options! It ran really good and fast.

The battery life is the main thing that I didn't like. I didn't use it much and it drained faster than I thought it would.

I'm sure this will get better and when it does ill be back on that rom, but for now its back to Liberty gb for me.

Liberty v.9/Watermark theme/OC'd

cw0974
08-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Honestly, I love miui but I couldn't stand the battery draining so quickly. Liquid did a bit better on battery life but I had some battery % issues and charging. I moved onto rubix and the battery life is quite nice. I've been unplugged since 10am with moderate use and its now 3:30 am with 40% left.

The persuader
08-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Its been My Experience...

Miui & Chevy are ...Awesome ROM's by the Way....That said...

Battery Life is the same for the most part...If you Template the Same Apps/Widgets and Syncing with Emails...
The Differents IMHO...is Miniscule...I Sleep well at Night...

I use both ROM's...Intermediate to Heavy most every Day...If anything...I would expect my Batteries are getting Old...I have... BH5X...BH6X and my Heavy Duty Truck Charger if I get into the Weeds...

Its Bubba

Honestly, I love miui but I couldn't stand the battery draining so quickly. Liquid did a bit better on battery life but I had some battery % issues and charging. I moved onto rubix and the battery life is quite nice. I've been unplugged since 10am with moderate use and its now 3:30 am with 40% left.