PDA

View Full Version : GB has incapacitated my phone. Please help.

eMpire
08-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Forum users;

I go on a three month vacation overseas, my phone is working fine, and I come back to accept a download that has incapacitated my phone.

The Stats:
EVO4g
Android Version 2.3.3
Build Number 2.24.651
Kernel Version 2.6.35.10-gc0a661b

I run temporary root via z4mod and use Wireless Tether for tethering. Tethering is imperitive to my phone usage.

Immediately after the update, the HD dropped to below 20% and the phone became gruelingly slow. 4G connectivity has all but quit working, 3G and cellular activity appears unstable and less powerful than before the update. I have not received some phone calls and text messages, the battery drains quicker, have not been able to download larger, market apps (Tasker) and z4root no longer works. As aforementioned, it's imperitive I can tether.

I backed up my contacts on my SD card, transferred all non-essential files and photos to my computer and then deleted from the Evo, transferred all possible apps and data to SD card, and still it made little difference. I uninstalled z4mod (freed my HD card to 24%, where it is now) and was about to run a default system restore, but thought I'd check here first.

Has anybody else encountered these issues?

Can someone please provide a path for reactivating a root function -- temporary or permanent (phone is out of warranty) -- as well as any suggestions on battery optimization, better task control and bolstering usability? I have searched the site but found very little I understand about my phone's build number (I'm not very phone savvy).

Once rooted, I am looking to improve the phone's interface and functionality, including a possible OS change and investing in the proper apps to improve operation, so suggestions there are also appreciated.

Thank you for your time, attention and assistance.

Ro6d33zy
08-13-2011, 07:28 AM
How did you end up on the Droid X Forums anyways?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Wizard0f0s
08-13-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty new to modding, etc, but it sounds like you were on Froyo and you accepted the OTA upgrade to Gingerbread. At least on the DX, there isn't a way yet to root the OTA (over the air) Gingerbread. What most of us have done is roll back to Froyo (1kds has a great tool to do so as an ISO, don't know if it works on anything other than Droid X). From there you can root again using the Z4 root.

I would start looking to see if there is something similar for your phone (or if anyone else knows if 1kds's Isis work on something other than a DX).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums