PDA

View Full Version : Bad SIP Audio Quality

sirEgghead
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a DX2 rooted with MinimalX ROM. I installed SIPDroid and connected to the free PBXes.org account with the GTalk trunk. I've made several test calls that have horrible audio quality. Sometimes it isn't even possible to tell that the sound is human.

A coworker has the same setup and he can hear me fine. He can also call other people (SIP or land line) and have a good 2-way conversation. We have each tried on 3G and on the wifi here at work with no change. He is using an HTC Incredible, however.

I have also switched apps to CSipSimple using the same PBXes.org account with very little change. It made an improvement, but not by much. The best I can get is him sounding like a chipmunk in a tin can.

I have also tried calling SIP to DID. It will not dial out at all. Not sure why. I can't really understand the recording, but the part that I can understand says to "check my call and try again." It sounds like the "cannot be completed as dialed" recording. I have tried dialing in every way possible; with area code, with 1 and the area code, with +1 and the area code. No change. However my coworker can dial the very same number from his own PBXes.org account with GTalk trunk and it dial just fine.

I also thought to try a different SIP account. So I connected CSipSimple to my free Ekiga account. Same problem. Obviously I can only make SIP to SIP calls because this is a free account, but that part doesn't bother me. It's just the audio quality. I have made several test calls to the echo test account (500@ekiga.net) without any changes.

I have tried several codecs on both apps with very little change and no improvement. Is it a problem with my hardware? Is it a problem with my ROM? Obviously it isn't the configuration, the accounts or the trunks. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thomas

sirEgghead
08-12-2011, 11:14 PM
wow. this is disappointing. :(

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

jimalaia
08-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I suggest starting replace components to see where the fault is. My first suggestion is to replace SIPDroid with another SIP client like xlite.

sirEgghead
08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
that's pretty much what I've said I've done already. I've gone through every bit of elimination I can.

if I remember correctly, xlite is a windows app. I don't have a single windows machine at my disposal right now. I've been using linux machines for over 20 years. :) so is the rest of my family.

but I have used a linux client to try testing outside of my droid hardware. at the time my internet was acting up. i'll have to try again on monday.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums