PDA

View Full Version : Another giveaway from DroidXForums.com!

smalltowngirl13
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee428/13smalltowngirl/Sig Pics/dxf-giveaway6.png

Bricked DX...No problem, welcome to DroidXForums (http://www.DroidXForums.com)!! We are here to fix your broken toy as long as you didn't run it over or broke it into many little pieces :big smile:...

Now, with that thought in your mind we at DroidXForums (http://www.DroidXForums.com) are having another contest!!! Say what? LOL...but for real, it is going to be a good one but it will be a bit more unique than those in the past and maybe require a little thought. It is different because the staff is going to pick the 3 best "oh no my X is bricked" stories and then you the DXF community will pick the winner thru a poll. Seems simple enough...right?

So, what do you need to do to win you might be asking...its simple (as I said before :big smile:..)...just post your best, edge of your seat, nail biting story about your harrowing experience - include all details that you can...SBF nightmare? Who helped? Did it fail and if so, how many times? How long did it take? How freaked out were you? If you found help on the forums how long did the RS or any member stick by your side? I think you see what I am saying...

As stated above, the staff will pick the top 3 stories on Monday and then you, the DroidXForums (http://www.DroidXForums) community will pick the winner in a poll...

And the prize...yes, the prize...is a Droid X / X2 Essentials pack that comes complete with everything you need to rock your Droid from the car, home or office! Items include (for those who are not familiar with it) home docking kit with HDMI cable, car docking kit, car charger and home charger...

MICHO
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Yah for prizes!

Leach19m
08-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I've never been so sad that I haven't had an "AHHHHHH FARFANOOGAN!" moment before.

smalltowngirl13
08-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I've never been so sad that I haven't had an "AHHHHHH FARFANOOGAN!" moment before.

Is never too late to try...:big smile:

cw0974
08-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Okay, so I’ve had the DX since it was released. After a bit, a froyo leak was out and I wanted to flash it. 1:43 am, I threw it in my sd card and installed. Ta-Da! The moto logo was going and the droid eye was going… going… going… and never stopped. I had no idea what I did wrong. I went online to find that I had “bricked” my phone. I battery-pulled and rebooted. Moto logo, droid eye, droid eye, droid eye… I started searching again and found a guide to sbf on this forum. I was too afraid of posting and sounding stupid so I just read everything I can. I installed RSD lite and sbf’d just to find that it didn’t work. I tried 3 times with no luck. On my 4th try, I found out that I didn’t have enough battery to sbf again. I was about to cry. 3:30am, I didn’t know what to do and searched again to find “ghetto charging.” I was taking a risk but I was desperate at this point. I stripped an old usb cable and ghetto charged my phone while being scared to death. Counting 7 minutes, I held that cable like a surgeon and for once I had good news. I was running to sbf again. 4:50 am, I sbf one more time and it finally worked. I was back to stock with nothing saved, but I was just happy that it was working again. I put my phone on the charger and passed out. 7:50 am, all of a sudden, my phone goes into reboot and guess what… bricked again. This time I can feel the lock screen sliding and the phone unlocking but the droid eye won’t go away. Sbf time again? Maybe. I sbf’d twice with no luck. The 3rd time, guess what? Yup, my battery was running low. Oh my goodness. I almost cried again. After sitting there for a bit, I was too mad to ghetto charge again. I called it quits and went to a Verizon store at 10:30am. The tech rep and I sat around until my battery charged and she factory wiped and restarted my phone. It was working just fine. I was insanely mad that that was all I had to do. She asked me what I was trying to do, and being as tired and dumb, I told her that I was trying to install a leak. She said “well your phone is working fine and fyi, don’t tell a vzw rep that you were trying to install a leak or root.” I was incredibly happy that I didn’t get stuck with a rude rep and happy that my phone was working again. I had my DX since July of 2010 and after this incident, I was too scared to do anything else to my phone. I finally got my head around the incident and decided to root. I rooted July of 2011. Hahaha. It took me a whole year to get this done. I’ve been through cm7 and at miui now. I am very knowledgeable of flashing and sbf-ing thanks to the forum. So glad you guys are here to help.

B1GD
08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I believe i was on liberty, not sure of the build, but i had decided to go back to liquid. i downloaded the rom via rom manager and then taped factory reset/wipe cache/dalvic also in rom manager. the second i hit ok, i get low battery warning. try as i might, i could not abort the process. by now, i was freaking out, praying that id make it through the flash. as i watched the bar fill up, i just knew id get a black screen and possibly an expensive paperweight. but it made it through, somehow, and proceded to boot up. the nightmare did not end there. as soon as i unlocked my lockscreen the mayhem began again. no launcher; a problem that i ended up with a few days before, however this time with a twist: no charge indicator. i had no idea if my phone was charging, and it would not respond if i plugged into my computer. at this point i just wanted it to be over, maybe even give up root and roms for good. but no, i had to go on. you all know the feeling of needing the latest and greatest rom out there, truly making your droid yours. its too much to give up. so i pulled the battery and booted into stock recovery and tried a factory reset. it did its thing and started to boot up...strait into a bootloop. stuck at the m. we all know what that means! sbf. but i had no idea where my battery was. so i battery pulled again, replaced, and left it on the charger for the night. something i never want to do again. it was like when casey anthony was found innocent, it just didn't feel right. i did not sleep well. i awoke early and booted up my favorite linux disk, got into bootloader (to my surprise) and plugged up. it said battery ok, so i hit 1 and prayed. boot baby boot. the longest saga of disastrous software malfunction of my life was so close to over. i nearly passed out from holding my breath. but, by the grace of the android gods, my precious droid x was fully funcional. relief. and i never would have gotten out of that mess without the knoledge i gained from this forum. truly the best android community in the biz.

wilyums
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
SORRY....
I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the contest. I've wanted to customize my X since the first day I came to this forum. My first reason was so I could get free tethering. So I started studying, reading, and then reading some more. After a couple of weeks finally root. Then I ask a newb question about bootstrapping. The thing is I took some very good advice from DroidXer and Wicked, always read and understand the directions the dev gives before starting anything, also understand what actions to take when you have a problem, and never be afraid to ask a question here. The reason I wondered if I wouldn't be allowed to be in the contest? The closest thing to a scary moment I've had is a bootloop,with a quick battery pull to take care of the problem. Oh the newb question I ask," do I really need bootstrap?"

ashpdwinDX
08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Dang, I have no horror stories to tell :( This forum has so much info that I haven't had any major issues that weren't easily fixable. I read alot before doing anything(Still not a single SBF for me. Lucky I guess lol) I think the biggest issue I've ever had was trying to install a theme from Liberty 1.5 on Liberty 2.0.1 that wasn't compatible making it to where it would bootloop. In the end just flashed liberty again and all was well.

NITRO2
08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Dang, I have no horror stories to tell :( This forum has so much info that I haven't had any major issues that weren't easily fixable. I read alot before doing anything.

Lol same, never really had an issue. Only issue I've had were boot loops :P

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Money Mike
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't have any horror stories to tell. The reason is that I've read so many hours worth of posts on this site and have followed every step carefully. So I'll just say that everyone on this site has prevented me from having an oh shhh moment. Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MICHO
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Dang, I have no horror stories to tell :( This forum has so much info that I haven't had any major issues that weren't easily fixable. I read alot before doing anything(Still not a single SBF for me. Lucky I guess lol) I think the biggest issue I've ever had was trying to install a theme from Liberty 1.5 on Liberty 2.0.1 that wasn't compatible making it to where it would bootloop. In the end just flashed liberty again and all was well.

Lol same, never really had an issue. Only issue I've had were boot loops :P

Never too late to flash a gb Rom over a froyo Rom with no wipes ;)

NITRO2
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Haha.. Funny.... :P

MICHO
08-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Guess not many peeps want an essential pack for free :/

trenton
08-12-2011, 01:19 AM
why didn't I win last time?:confused:

nemosfate
08-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Twice in 16 hours...first was omfgb, flashed and ran fine then decided I didn't want it anymore and really have no idea what I was think but went into clockwork, wiped data, cache, dalvik, applied 2 part gb, heart sank, why why why did I do that I know better, then the realization I don't have my laptop at home (loaned it out) and couldn't get it back till the weekend! (wednesday when this happened) and stuck in class for 3 more hours! Make some phone calls to find a computer I can use to download and burn sbf disc, takes 3.5-4 hours cuz hughes net and their rediculous caps/throttle to 5kb , yes you read right, it really dropped that far, 3g from a dx2 wasn't working cuz we live in bfe, finally got the disc and got back to froyo, gb 2 part, installed apex rc2.0..... forward to second and installed liquid over apex (yeah, herp derp) battery at 20-30% (can't remember which, not enough though) have the sbf disc, no charged battery, wouldn't charge, so had to wait a few hours till I got to class, borrowed a battery after alot of reassurance what I was doing wouldn't mes up their battery, then spent what felt like forever getting the cheap knockoff outdated computers at school to recognize I want to boot from the cd drive , never seen a computer that much of a pita to boot from cd drive! Sbf went fine, flashed liberty v8 and done lol...But all in all it reminded me to not get in a hurry!
Edit: spelling

root, roms and themes oh my!

mugz91
08-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Sorry. Still running stock (I hear the gasps and sighs of disbelief) so I have no stories to tell! Good luck, peeps, let's hear those tales.

ashpdwinDX
08-12-2011, 03:16 AM

Haha, I'll pass. Not a single SBF yet and gonna keep it that way(for as long as possible hehe) :D

scott021467
08-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Well this is a, "why did I do that", moment. I was called into my bosses office and during our meeting he mentioned how his new X was giving him a fit. I mentioned to him that if he rooted his phone and put a new rom on it would improve performance. So he handed me his phone and said "make it better". I had my laptop with me and started getting his phone ready for his new rom. I placed all the apps that I would need and rooted his phone. Well, I started flashing his new rom, that is when tragedy struck. I remembered I had missed one step and before I knew it his phone was semi bricked. I was in a panic and figured I was doomed. That is when I remembered the blog on the forums about sbf. I quickly went and signed in and with my heart beating in my throat I started reading and setting up my laptop with all the files it told me I would need and configuring them to start the process. Well, I started running the sbf and while it was working I sat there making a mental list of all the things I would need for the unemployment office as with sweaty palms, beating heart and rising blood pressure I waited for the process to finish. I can still remember all the excuses I gave to him during this why it was taking so long. When the sbf had finished I thought I would die as I waited for the phone to boot up and to my shock and amazement the boot animation came on and I heard what to me was the sweetest sound " Droid" and then it opened to the lock screen and the hand telling you to tap to start. Angels started to sing, bands started playing and ticker tape started to fall, in my mind, as I completed what I had set out to do an hour before. When I finished and handed him his phone he was amazed at how responsive his phone was and thanked me while shaking my hand. I returned to the desk I was using and looked at my laptop, still open to Droid X Forums, and breathed easy. "You made me a hero", I thought to myself and came very close to kissing my screen. So it was not just one person but the rescue squad and the author of the sbf blog, madershramm, that became my heroes. Since that day I swore I would be a member of Droid X Forums for life.

Thank you all.

NITRO2
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Guess not many peeps want an essential pack for free :/

I'd love it, i might just have to take your advice and flash to GB :P

cw0974
08-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I'd love it, i might just have to take your advice and flash to GB :P

maybe flash a gb rom and try to flash a froyo rom on top with no wipe? hahaha

i wish i can say i didn't have a horror story too, but when i tried things, i don't think this forum was running that much nor did i know this forum existed.
Basically, i was a n00b. haha now i know better.

ssmorris
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Of course it was my first experience was my worst. In all my excitement to actually have control over my phone, I skimmed some of what I thought to be the "pre checks" part of the instructions...which were actually the parts that stated "DO NOT unplug you USB cable" etc. Instead I dove right into the installation of RSD Lite, downloading the Froyo Update Leaks etc.

So I started the process of taking my phone into reboot recovery to install the Update.zip file from my SD card. While it was installing my phone died (low battery when I started...also a warning that I skimmed over) and I thought "oh, its just rebooting since its 'ZOMG FLASHING NEW L3AKZ!'"...

30 minutes pass and my phone is still off (dead battery, not working 'root magic' like I thought) and I decide to turn it on....I long press the power button to get it to reset, battery pull, long press again...nothing. My body temperature slowly rising, turn a fan on to control the comfort...still nothing.

I plug my phone in to see if I can get something to come on. Nothing... I leave it alone for a while to charge only to come back and see this scary Android with the ! triangle.

Now step back to about 3 hours before this. I just argued with my wife that I was ABSOLUTELY NEEDING this phone because its going to have Netflix (lie), the latest software (another lie) and I just flat out wanted it. So she finally agreed to letting me buy this phone.

Now, back to present time, I am remembering this conversation and how bad I am going to have to walk to her in shame and admit that I broke my new 'toy'. Before doing that, however, I decided I wanted to search around to find out wtf is going on. Thats where I stumbled on this nice forum with ALL the best walkthroughs of recovering from such a stupid mistake that I made.

So 20 minutes later, I had the SBF I needed to reflash my phone to factory and all was well.

To this day, she still doesnt know I was about to admit we just ate $300+ because I bricked my phone.

NITRO2
08-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Of course it was my first experience was my worst. In all my excitement to actually have control over my phone, I skimmed some of what I thought to be the "pre checks" part of the instructions...which were actually the parts that stated "DO NOT unplug you USB cable" etc. Instead I dove right into the installation of RSD Lite, downloading the Froyo Update Leaks etc.

So I started the process of taking my phone into reboot recovery to install the Update.zip file from my SD card. While it was installing my phone died (low battery when I started...also a warning that I skimmed over) and I thought "oh, its just rebooting since its 'ZOMG FLASHING NEW L3AKZ!'"...

30 minutes pass and my phone is still off (dead battery, not working 'root magic' like I thought) and I decide to turn it on....I long press the power button to get it to reset, battery pull, long press again...nothing. My body temperature slowly rising, turn a fan on to control the comfort...still nothing.

I plug my phone in to see if I can get something to come on. Nothing... I leave it alone for a while to charge only to come back and see this scary Android with the ! triangle.

Now step back to about 3 hours before this. I just argued with my wife that I was ABSOLUTELY NEEDING this phone because its going to have Netflix (lie), the latest software (another lie) and I just flat out wanted it. So she finally agreed to letting me buy this phone.

Now, back to present time, I am remembering this conversation and how bad I am going to have to walk to her in shame and admit that I broke my new 'toy'. Before doing that, however, I decided I wanted to search around to find out wtf is going on. Thats where I stumbled on this nice forum with ALL the best walkthroughs of recovering from such a stupid mistake that I made.

So 20 minutes later, I had the SBF I needed to reflash my phone to factory and all was well.

To this day, she still doesnt know I was about to admit we just ate $300+ because I bricked my phone.

hahaha, +1 nice

flipfreak
08-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I thought I bricked my phone one day... After changing my pants, I stumbled upon the Droid X Rescue Squad and found all the information I needed about how to SBF. I actually did it a few times so that I was a pro and never had to worry about it again. I found the best and easiest solution was the Linux way using either ubuntu or a cd to boot from. Thanks Doird X Forums! :)

Droidxuser5
08-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I've had the Droid X since Christmas last year. While researching cool stuff for my phone, I saw the leak for Gingerbread and I was thrilled. I did the first two leaks without any problems whatsoever. However, on the third leak, my friend, who also has a Droid X, and I both bricked our phones. I knew I was gonna be up late. We deliberately tried SBF but to no avail and searched the web for help. Because this was a new release, most forums, such as these, had no help to give. My friend went home and I tried for hours to SBF, I counted at least 10, and researched for answers, asking experts. I even tried asking your rescue squad, which I might add had a very detailed response the next day that WOULD have helped. Around 2, my bootloader said low battery so I tried the "ghetto" charging method, which is a real pain in the butt! Finally at 3 A.M., while I was charging, I had the bright idea of flashing the old leak over the new leak, since the problem was booting into clockworkmod recovery. I got it running and was thrilled, but sadly I woke up late the next day and my friend already bought a new phone. I later successfully flashed the leak and now have rooted gingerbread and tried cyanogenmod.

However I very foolishly flashed the two part gingerbread on cyanogenmod and BRICKED IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't have a PC, but I did have a Mac. I had to borrow my friend's MIFI card and download the CD version for Mac. I went over his limit and ended up paying him some money for it. Anyway, I burned the CD and it took forever to load up to the "boot...baby, boot" screen and took even longer to get to the program. The first time it failed and I got really nervous and frustrated...I just payed for a program that didn't work! I ended up trying again after factory resetting it and it thankfully worked. The bright side? It wasn't a late night and I realized that I gotta stop messing with my phone! I'm now trying MIUI and if anything comes up, you know where I'm looking next! All I know is without this forum, I wouldn't have a Droid X. THANK YOU DROID X FORUMS!

woodfielder
08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Just as Hansel & Gretel fell trap in the house of Gingerbread, so did i! It seemed so SWEET that there was no way it could hurt me, so i jumped right in without reading the warnings, and ended up in the hot seat. Without even being rooted i figured i could just boot into that "little android screen" i had stumbled upon and "install" it! that should have told me i didnt know what the heck i was doing, but instead i proceeded. I Rooted thought i was the MAN! I Downloaded, and without wiping ANYTHING i tried to flash......... BRICKKKK! I started to feel like a kid who knew he did wrong and didn't want anyone to find out. I panicked, got mad, and abused an Innocent DX. then tried to do this thing called SBF, with a usb cord that was known to disconect! Error.. BRICK, i actually cried a bit. Finally i learned my lesson, READ INSTRUCTIONS, and have never bricked another Android since.

nemosfate
08-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Just as Hansel & Gretel fell trap in the house of Gingerbread, so did i! It seemed so SWEET that there was no way it could hurt me, so i jumped right in without reading the warnings, and ended up in the hot seat. Without even being rooted i figured i could just boot into that "little android screen" i had stumbled upon and "install" it! that should have told me i didnt know what the heck i was doing, but instead i proceeded. I Rooted thought i was the MAN! I Downloaded, and without wiping ANYTHING i tried to flash......... BRICKKKK! I started to feel like a kid who knew he did wrong and didn't want anyone to find out. I panicked, got mad, and abused an Innocent DX. then tried to do this thing called SBF, with a usb cord that was known to disconect! Error.. BRICK, i actually cried a bit. Finally i learned my lesson, READ INSTRUCTIONS, and have never bricked another Android since.

Lmao I like the way you started this

BHuber09
08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a story but its nothing as bad as any of these so im not even going to waste the time to type it but my lord these stories are so long!! i read through the first one and about died of laughter. Im so glad i dont have to read through all these i dont think i could choose one they are all so good! You Staff have got ALOT of hard work ahead of you goodluck!

1jklange
08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
My story is the change over from Froyo to rooted GB .596 and then getting Liberty on there. Bricked it about 20 times and had to learn to use RSD lite to put stock Froyo on which works like a charm. Then I finally got everything working right and got onto Rooted GB and tried to get Liberty on the phone. I was in the car and thought I had enough battery so I load up part 1 of the files onto recovery and everything goes perfect, then I go to load part 2 and my phone just goes black. Not realizing I had no battery left I had no idea what had happened, I thought my phone was completely broke! Then I finally got home and figured out it was my battery only to then realize you cannot charge the DX if you let the battery die while switching ROMs like that. So at 2:45 AM I had to call my friend who also has the DX and ask to come use his battery for a little bit while I charge my battery in his phone. Finally around 4:00 AM after we sat in his garage and watched a lightning storm my battery was ready again. I got home loaded stock Froyo on then got it to GB and gave Liberty 1 more try and it worked, no bootloop or anything haha! Took me about 4 days to complete the transfer from Froyo to GB Liberty v0.9. It was a learning experience to say the least!

woodfielder
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Lmao I like the way you started this

Haha thanks,

Sent from the guy behind you

fernbch
08-15-2011, 05:02 PM
OK, I have a "thought I bricked my DX" story for you.

I bought this about two months ago as a CPO from VZW, the price was right. Had it on the web for $99 and kept looking at it saying "I should get it, I should get it". One day I looked and it was an online special for $49. I said to myself, OOhhh!!! $49, tied with my new every two. YES, Free DX!!!!!

So after a couple of weeks and much reading, I decided I was going to bite the bullet. I though of everything, or I thought I did. Downloaded Z4Root, D2 Bootstrap, Root Explorer, the TBH two part, DarkslideX, and put aside a Saturday afternoon to do it all. I even read up on RSD and everything and decided to get the Bootable CD, instead. So, that's how I spent the Friday evening before "the big day".

So, Saturday rolls around and I started. First was Z4Root, first time it didn't take. Second time didn't work, either. Or the third, the fourth, finally it did on the fifth try. It rebooted and I was rooted. Bootstrap went in just fine and I moved on to 596 next. That's where the trouble started. 596 didn't take and I got stuck at CWR. Everytime I rebooted I was in Clockwork. So, I tried 596 again. Back to clockwork I went at every restart. After about 5 attempts, I decided to download it again, maybe the first one was bad.

The next attempt after download took two tries and it took. I didn't think much about it, so I continued. I flashed DSX next. Got stuck in a bootloop. I wiped, I wiped, and I wiped again. It was bootloop central. Buy now I was starting to get a little nervous and frustrated, so I stopped and reread everything. I just couldn't figure it out, I was certain I didn't miss anything. So, I tried to flash DSX one more time. Nope, bootloop again.

By now I was starting to get frustrated, and I decided to SBF. Well that was another fiasco. The lights blinked here as it was storming like crazy outside. Wouldn't you know it, right in the middle of my SBF. Ok, start over. Two more attempts there and I was back at Froyo. The phone was working at this point, but it was acting wierd. So, do I stop? Nope. I should have, but I was so frustrated I convinced myself that this little "electronic gizmo" wasn't going to wip me.

So, I rooted. Took three tries this time. Then D2 Bootstrap, that took a couple times, too. Then the two part again. Shocked the crap out of me, it took on the first try. Ok, a little sigh of relief then on to DSX. Right back into the nonsense again. Bootloop, restart and wipe. Stuck at the M, restart and wipe. Boot into clockwork, restart and wipe again. Here we go again, gggrrrrrrr.

Screw it, time to SBF again. That just didn't want to work again. I was so angry I wanted to smash the stupid droid! I've never had this much trouble modding a phone. This went on for another couple hours and I was about to give up on it and go to VZW and get another phone. I was so mad, the little "electronic gizmo" has kicked my butt. I couldn't figure it out. Everything I read said I should have been able to do this in about 30 minutes or so. I packed everything up and my little girl comes in and asked me what"s wrong (she's 13). I told her and she says "Didn't you get all that stuff while it was storming last night?" The little light came on upstairs and I felt so stupid at the same time. The not so geeky kid who was crying the night before because she couldn't play her webkinz while it was storming on Friday night told me what was wrong without knowing it. Every download, except for D2 bootstrap, had an issue with it. None of the MD5's were right. So, what do I do you ask? I waited. I started this around 12pm, it was now after three and storming like no tomorrow again. The droid is no more than a pretty paperweight right now and there was NO WAY I was going to download anything.

Well, the story finally had a happy ending. The storms quit around 6:30 and I gave it another try. By that time I was more relaxed as the vodka I started sippin on was kickin in. After all that it went something like this; SBF was finished in about 5 minutes and the phone was working again. Z4 took first try, as did D2 bootstrap, 596 two part, and DSX. it was about 8:15 when I finished, I was half baked, and felt kinda dumb because I was wipped by a phone and showed up by a 13 year old. But I didn't care. The phone was working and I didn't have to hear the other half "tell me so" for the next two weeks (I've broken a couple phones in the past. Well ok, more like a half dozen in about 10 months but that's another headache.) Main thing was I went through "flashing a rom h3ll" and I learned the most basic of lessons from it. CHECK THE MD5 BEFORE YOU FLASH!!!!!!

Since then I've done a couple tweaks and what not and I haven't had one issue. I ALWAYS check the md5 and make a backup before I start. I only needed a backup once, that didn't work well either, but I found out why and still recovered quickly. Where to next? I think I'm going to try a 2nd init rom, there's some cool lookin stuff out there and I know what to check before I start so I don't have a repeat of history again.

Oh, BTW, you can ROF and LYFAO all you want because I deserve it.

shawn
08-15-2011, 09:41 PM
my first sfb was when i tried upgrading to the first gb leak didnt work so well so i was gonna sfb back set up rsd pluged in phone and got it started (i was thinking hey this is easy) once it started went out fer a smoke came back in and the puppy chewed through the usb cable :o couldent get it to do anything but go into bootloader after getting advice from some great people here i took my wifes cable from her fascinate then used 1kids iso disk finally got it back up and running
luckily the x and fascinate take the same cable

NUNsLAUGHTER92
08-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Well I wasn't all that terrified when I needed to sbf my phone because it wasn't in some bootloop, I have yet to send this phone into a bootloop.
Well anyway, I needed to sbf because my phone was being completely retarded and I couldn't get it to boot into CWR, no matter what I did. Flash the recovery again and use both of bootstrap apps, both did nothing for me.
So I used the easiest possible sbf method, the one that you burn to a cd.
And there is only one reason I didn't want to sbf and the reason Is that my phone is not on verizon so I need to reflash my phone back to cricket whenever I do that or want to change radios. So it's just a real pain because it takes about an hour and a half to put it back on Cricket Wireless. No scariness involved though haha.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Droidgasm
08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Ok, here's one to put me in the running. Not a long story but that shouldn't downplay the unpleasant experience. I had to SBF & restore my phone in the hospital room the day our first child was born (four weeks ago this Wednesday!). I had a little downtime while wife & baby were sleeping so I decided to upgrade from Liberty 0.8 to 0.9. Well, something went awry and I ended up having to do a full SBF and reinstallation/restoration. Thankfully I had my old HP laptop with me (it's a dinosaur, and barely up to the task) and I store all the necessary files for such a situation in my Dropbox (the hospital had free wifi), but the stress of knowing my primary means of communication with family and work was suddenly having a major nervous breakdown on such an important day had me sweating bullets. Fortunately all ended well. I was able to restore everything and wife & baby are doing well.

And by the way - If anyone has tips on where to find an inexpensive used Iconia, Transformer, or Xoom I'd love to know. A resource for an inexpensive 32GB micro sd card would be cool too.

jwalz
08-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Congrats on the new baby and sleepless nights.haha with them comes the most laughs you have ever had though. :=)

Droidgasm
08-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Thank you, jwalz. It's been pretty great so far. The wife is just unstoppable and the kid is adorable. And, of course, throughout the whole pregnancy, delivery, and since then my trusty Droid X has been indispensable. I've really got my fingers crossed for that Essentials pack. Anybody know when the final three will be chosen?

woodfielder
08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I thot the winner was supose2 b picked monday

Sent from the guy behind you

fernbch
08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Monday they were going to start looking at all the posts and choose the best three. Then a poll was going to be made and the community would vote for the best out of them. It's probably gonna take a couple days to pick the three for the poll.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

Droidgasm
08-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Damn. I hope I wasn't too late. I posted as soon as I saw the contest.

smalltowngirl13
08-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, we are in the process of picking the top stories... if all goes well, we will have a poll up later today or tomorrow for the community to vote!

Closing thread - no more submissions will be accepted... if it is in the thread right now, it is eligible!

~~ sent from my x~~