PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread, and 2nd init roms, what are you running now or like the best and why.

griz.droidx
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I have seen a bunch of which one and why threads and polls, but I wanted some opinions on several people are running, and instead of sending everyone a pm, I figured Id post a new thread so others can see as well. And know what's going on. It's really hard to follow all the 2nd init roms, so I usually follow the one, I happen to be running at the time, and drop in on others to read a few posts on how the others are coming along. Most of the 596/595 Roms have been out a while, Apex RC2, Liberty, and Aosp Liberty, the new one from Mobile Sensi (Japanese Name), Zombie, Darkslide X, and I'm probably forgetting a few. Of the 2nd Inits I've used Miui, CM7, and Liquid, I know theres SSX and Justice if not others.

Having run everything listed except Justice and SSX, I am on Liquid and plan on trying the latest miui. Was on CM7 from the first release to about nightly 20, ran a few 596's, went back to cm7 because I missed the features and customization. ran nightly 32 and 42 for a while, and I've been on liquid for about 7 days now. I'm really liking liquid, but under hard use Gaming, App Installations, Browsing and what now I got around 4-6 hours. This is non stop and includes some texting and phone calls. With WiFi on all the time.

I haven't tweaked much from stock except that I'm using the interactive governor, and occassionaly I undervolt, but that's been causing me some issues with the phone staying in the max voltage/freq setting and overheating. This doesn't happen using And Overclock with rummy's voltages which are a bit high even on Low voltage. I have ran my quickclock voltages on other roms with no problems. Does anyone know of a good task manager that lists tasks and cpu % used? I've just started using CPU Spy that someone suggested to monitor how much my cpu stays in a certain state/freq.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback received.

Also, I will probably try Miui again today, and see how that goes. I tried 29, but I had the no data issue and couldn't use the theme picker to apply themes so I uninstalled. If anyone is using miui are you using the stock launcher or adding in something with an app drawer like adw or go launcher or other launchers.

Even if you post once, it would be nice if you post again when you change roms, and give a reason so that others can see why you are switching even if it's out of curosity. But especially if you are having issues with the rom you're on and are switching to something else.

Leach19m
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm running miui with the stock launcher. I have a question for you though, what do you mean you couldn't use the theme chooser?

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

shftn2gear97
08-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm on CM7; have been on MIUI and stock ginger.

I would like to stay on cm7 (seems to be the most flexible just a little buggy) and i will probably switch back to stock GB when the new update rolls out to see how it is..

zoe
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
i used miui w/GO launcher and never had data issues or such. i didn't try the 7.29 update and bailed back to cm7 before the 8.5 update. there weren't major issues that i experienced, it was just a sum total of little preferences that made me go back to cm7, esp. missed the mixer theme

android system info app and spare parts + have worked great for me in regards of seeing tasks and cpu/batt. usages

the black dog runs at night

griz.droidx
08-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I installed 29 and when I tried to pick the miui theme I wanted to install with the theme tool in miui, It wouldn't download and install. And I may have gotten the data issue mixed up the liquid. Perhaps it was liquid that had the data problem in 2.5 so I went back to 2.4.

I'd like to try miui but there's a few theme chooser themes that I really like, I'm using eyecandy and red passion from a guy over at xda. Eyecandy is awesome. Red Passion aint bad, its a red version of eyecandy, but hasn't been tweaked as much as eyecandy. If you're on a CM7 based rom I highly recommend either of those. Eyecandy is awesome. I do like the mixer theme too. I'll probably just stick with liquid, I haven't made up my mind. I've also been wanting to try DSX w/ Wulf's river themes, or a 596 with one of his theme's which probably won't work. Or maybe Zombie, I got the best battery on that one, and it was smoother than a baby's rump. The theme's on it weren't as nice as what you can get for theme chooser or the rivers IMHO, but still that was one slick rom. DSX was nice, but not as heavily tweaked I don't think. I could be wrong, because DSX was pretty slick too and I didn't run it as long.

scott021467
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for more of the bugs to be worked out of MIUI which I was really impressed by until then I am on OMFGB which really works well for me, battery life aside, and themes on the fly works great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

bitemeoftn
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm on the latest version of MIUI 1.8.5. Using the stock launcher I just made a folder and put all the icons in it so it's a replacement app drawer. I like the themes on MIUI and the ability to be able to mix and match everything within the themes. From the pulldown bar to the wallpaper you can mix and match all of it. Plus it's pretty snappy and I like the button shortcuts i.e. holding the home button down from the lockscreen turns on Torch. Holding menu and volume down takes a screeshot. Those little shortcuts come in handy quite often. Hope my two cents helps.

akeezy
08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Zombiestomped 1.7 kept rebooting randomly after the first battery drain so I've been looking for a rom to use. I found drew garens newest work on rom manager. It's called Genesis... and wowzers its been a pleasure having it on my phone. It's smooth and the battery went 27 hours on moderate to heavy use of browsing, texting, music, and bluetooth tethering to my tablet

mapatton82
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
I have used CM7, SSX, and Liquid there are all great ROMs. I am currently on MIUI 1.8.5 using ADW Ex launcher. So far I have not had any issues and I have the phone tweaked using the Supercharger script, ULV and Underclocking to 800 Mhz (with the Superhcharger script there is no noticeable difference), and also using Juice Defender. I am getting the best battery life out of MIUI averaging between 17 to 22 hours on a charge with moderate to heavy usage.

griz.droidx
08-13-2011, 12:21 AM
AK, so now you're on the DG rom? I don't wanna get anything started. But man.... And you know I respect you and think a lot of you both a friend on the various forums.. But why the DG rom's? I realize some may be good, and i did read about genesis today. It's 596 with some blur and the liberty stuff. Sounds a lot like Shuji. Not sure what the release dates were.

Anyway, If it runs well use it? I always wanted to give this guy the benefit of the doubt until I saw the APEX RC2 deal. I can't support someone IF they steal others work on purpose. If he really didn't know as he said he didn't then, I stand to differ. I ran R2D2 when I first tried romming my dx.

Back to the major isssue at hand, did you install Zombie over 596. I know you know the steps, but I just now Nanded back to froyo, then did the two part to keep from sbfing. I wonder if thats what Wulf has in mind. We will see. I tried Zombie because of the river themes. I'll bee sure to tweak the hell out of it. But I'd rather use Liberty if possible. I can't remember 100% but I don't think Zombie did that on me when I was on 595. Did you try the Liberty 8 or 9?

THanks to everyone who has responded to this survey of sorts.

akeezy
08-13-2011, 03:28 AM
I know people have issues with the guy. I understand why and don't blame them. But it doesn't bother me much. Its wrong what he did but I haven't used the "kanged" work. He definitely made some good roms on his own. Snowy blur was my first on froyo. And broodcomb 2 was indescribably amazing. Genesis though is no shuji(unless someone proves me wrong). Shuji is source and genesis has all the blur elements and I think Genesis was out first. After that fiasco a couple months ago with apex I've stayed away but I'm on gingerbread now from 2nd init and Genesis is the only rom keeping me happy.

I installed zombiestomped from fresh 595 and after that first day and a half of battery drainage, it rebooted continuously. Did a wipe of everything and reflashed and same results. Sbf'ed and went back to gingy and it happened again. I'm going to try again if genesis gives me any issues.

I tried liberty once on froyo and wasn't satisfied. I didn't like the feel of it. I was on it for 3 hours before I couldn't take it anymore haha. Broodcomb 2 and zombiestomped are the only other gingerbread roms I like most

From akeezy's Galaxy

cw0974
08-13-2011, 04:19 AM
i'm currently on miui 1.8.5 and have been on cm7 til miui. Before i go into anything, i run adw launcher with both. didn't like the stock miui.
Personally, cm7 worked great for me. I didn't have any bugs or problems. I think cm7 is my choice from the two. With miui, i get 15-20% more battery life than cm7 and i really love the mix and match theme i can put on it. However, miui with adw is running a bit laggy for me. I might move back to cm7 later, but for now i like my set up on miui. Will stay for a bit.

griz.droidx
08-14-2011, 01:31 PM
@akeezy, I understand man, as I may have mentioned, I've heard the guy does good work on his own. I did try a couple of his roms before all the hoopla started. So, you don't like aosp roms? Do you mean 596 aosp or CM7 aosp? Just wondering. And I don't understand the constant reboots on Zombie, I never had that problem before (back around the first of June). I'd like to try that one again, but I'm not gonna go back to 595, cause it seems like too much work just getting back to 595. Have you tried DSX? It's a nice blurry rom. And wulf has some really nice theme's built for it.

I'm back on Lib v.9 I had never tried .9 and wanted to check out battery life on a 596 rom. From what I've read though, the 596 stock liberties aren't known for stellar battery life. I ran V6 yesterday. battery is holding up well, but I'm not sure how well yet. I really miss all the features of the CM7 and 2nd init roms.

I've been reading on the new MIUI release, and it seems to be a bit buggy from what I've read. Various people having various issues. One person said he never saw a prob with it except for changing ringtones which everyone else had problems with too. I've definitely got the itch. May try CM7 60. I haven't been on a standard CM7 in a long time. I used liquid per your recommendation from a while back and really liked it.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Thanks.

fernbch
08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I, too, am interested in 2nd init and am just starting my info quest. I may have misunderstood something I read elsewhere, but does 2nd init allow for the use of a modded kernel? Also, in the OP, DarkSlideX is mentioned. Is it a 2nd init rom? I'm currently running it and was unaware of possible 2nd init status.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

akeezy
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I do like AOSP. But I prefer the 2nd init AOSP because motoginger in my opinion should be motoginger and to turn 596 into AOSP ginger is basically another source rom w/o the extra customization. I came back to motoginger primarily for zombiestomped so I could enjoy the motoblur, great battery life, and I missed the camera haha. And now im just staying on genesis because his roms have always been easy to use with no issues for me ever.

As for Darkslide, it's much too busy in terms of looks to me. It's well themed but im a minimalist kind of guy and all the colors and stuff going on gives me headaches haha. I always try to find a simple black and white theme on roms.

MIUI was great at first but frustrated me. I couldn't stay on it for more than a few hours at a time and just gave up on it. When I try zombie again, if it continues to reboot, I'll move back to liquid

akeezy
08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I, too, am interested in 2nd init and am just starting my info quest. I may have misunderstood something I read elsewhere, but does 2nd init allow for the use of a modded kernel? Also, in the OP, DarkSlideX is mentioned. Is it a 2nd init rom? I'm currently running it and was unaware of possible 2nd init status.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!!

I don't know about the modded kernel on 2nd init but I don't think you need it. 2nd init allows source based roms to work on the froyo kernel. Darkslide is not 2nd init. It's on the gingerbread kernel

MIck11
08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm on justice and it is great with no bugs at all

Nemo aeternamn
08-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I've run all of the 2nd init roms... Justice and cm7 are my favorites... Liquid 2.6 was also great... Love the feel and the speed... Especially the customization with the t mobile theme chooser engine... It's amazing... And undervolted and running the v6 script... Also getting decent battery life...

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

tribals
08-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Currently on Liberty gb v.9 and loving all the options. I'm getting very good battery life and it runs so smooth ....no issues.

I was on Darkslide X which was good too, but I like Liberty better.

I am waiting as well to see if they work more of the bugs out of MIUI then I'll give that a try.

Liberty v.9/Watermark theme/OC'd

lehman70
08-15-2011, 01:10 AM
I just flashed CM7 build#60 tonight Griz. I'm gonna run it stock for one charge to see how it does. Then I'll undervolt and see how it works. I'll let you know how it goes.

lehman70
08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Build 60 seems to perform as well as Build 42.

serx7
08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
i've been on cm7, ssx, liquid, briefly justice, currently miui. like that cm7 has the nightlies, ssx was cool but chevy's been busy w/ his TB Rom, loved liquid esp w/ the mixer theme, justice was good but i liked the extra customizations of the other roms, and miui, well i really like it but keep getting hit with either the auto-airplane or lost data connection bug. liquid/cm7 and miui are my current favorites, i keep contemplating switching b/n them but laziness has started kicking in. miui's little bugs are starting to annoy me more esp the data drop which hits me at least 2-3 times daily (1.8.5 as well as 1.8.12). but now, i like the way i have it set up and am reluctant to switch off of it. i've read that the data connection issues are shared by all the 2nd init roms, but aside from liquid 2.5, i have yet to experience it outside of miui.

mcneilmoe
08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Definitly MOEmod. Best 2nd init for battery. Speed is outstanding. Ugh I love it

Sent from my ADR6300 using Droid X Forums

Talon66721
08-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Personally, I'm sticking with Liquid since I discovered it over a month ago. It's not an alpha or a beta, it works. Enough said. Yeah, right!

It's very customizeable, stable, fast, decent battery life with moderate use (gets through the day easily when I'm not able to charge it), and just an all around great rom.

I've tried some of the other 2nd init roms and they all had their little quirks that I just got tired of too soon. I thought this did at first, but it turned out that I just got a lemon phone for a replacement. When I got my current one, a LOT of issues I had went away! Or I would just get tired of having to do the nightlies all the time. I just wanted something I could put on and be reliable for me for work.

I have to admit, this is the rom I've kept the longest since Darkslide for Froyo. Let me tell you, that's saying a lot for me! I used to be a flashaholic until I found this
rom! (Creative byline to whomever has that in their sig, sorry I can't remember at the moment, but I have really liked it!)
Edit: creative byline to Leach19!

Well, anyway, that's my two cents, hope it helps.

Sent from my DX running Liquid GB 2.4, OC'd at 1.3 and Supercharged. Running as fast as fast can be!

sgthwjack
08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
+1 on Liquid, tried MIUI but just didn't do it for me. Running Liquid 2.6 and no issues with anything so far. I get about 17 hours on standard battery w/light to moderate use, good enough. Just did the 13p radio and battery seems better but really too soon to tell although the download speed is faster on 3g. Think I will stay with this for awhile.

B1GD
08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Definitly MOEmod. Best 2nd init for battery. Speed is outstanding. Ugh I love it

of course you like it the best. ur the dev. little biased eh? :P

Newber
08-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Just Maybe?

Leach19m
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
of course you like it the best. ur the dev. little biased eh? :P

Lmao Skadoosh!

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.

Aklee987
08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I've been on miui, cm7, and shuji recently. Been switching back and forth amost daily (with a bunch of sbfing).

I like cm7 and miui a lot, they have a lot of customization options.

But, I've decided that I really like shuji the best. I wish I could get 1% battery on it, but other than that, no complaints.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nemo aeternamn
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM
The main reason for the better battery on shuji... Our how every it's spelt it's because it ruins in the 596 kernel... Which had lead to numerous sbf's... If I'm not mistakin

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

griz.droidx
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Moe, I haven't tried your rom yet, but I might in the future. If you're really only 13 years old and making roms, I see a bright future for you if you apply yourself. I assume you're running Linux on your home box?

Anyway, I just installed SSX. Went back to CM7 62 for a while to see how things are progressing with the 7.1 beta or alpha. According to cvpcs he's gonna be integrating some DX specific fixes very soon.

I wanted to try the new SSX because of what people said about the first version and how customizable it is. It's even more customizable than Liquid I believe. I really liked liquid 2.6 but its getting dated at only a month or so old. LOL. Can't wait til 2.8 or 2.7 whichever they decide to release next. I will report back on SSX very soon. So far, without even a calibration yet, battery life is pretty good. As good as or better than Liquid 2.6 and CM7 nightly 62. Not sure if its better yet, but it's at least as good as those.

bleedgreen
08-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Where do you find MOEmod?

ctslaton
08-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I like a little blur so that everything works well from HDMI to corporate exchange syncing. For that I prefer Darkslide based 596 release. Prior to gingerbread, I liked APEX on Froyo. Darkslide has been outstanding for me and works well with the new 13P radio.

mcneilmoe
08-24-2011, 06:08 AM
I am running Linux Mint.

mcneilmoe
08-24-2011, 06:08 AM
In the gingerbread roms forums

griz.droidx
09-03-2011, 02:56 AM
I'd somehow like to combine this with the run down thread, inserting comments w/ quotes from the people who've used the roms that person listed. Now back to our regular program already in progress.

Lately I've been on a number of roms, SSX 2.1, Liquid 2.8, Apex 602, a couple of older cm7 nightlies stopping around 62 or so.

What I am running at the moment is CM7GB for DX. I've only been running this for about 12 hours now so I can't comment con battery life yet.

Apex 602 feels really fast. Very fast. But I just can't do without all the CM7 type of customizations available. Liquid added a few more, and SSX added a ton more to the already highly customizable CM7. SSX was good, I ran it for about a week, but battery life was a bit of a drag even after calibration.

Anyway, I wanted to give CM7GB a whirl before leaving 602. I'm really glad I did. As i said before I can't tell about battery life yet, but I will be tweaking it a bit to get more to try to get the max life. So far, I've had to reboot once while using file expert file manager. After the reboot all was fine. I'll post more about this rom as testing continues. Those guys have done an awesome job on it I can tell you that. No that any of the others mentioned didn't..

CiRiS
09-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Im stuck on Liberty v9 really on for functionality. The stuff I want works (HDMI, camera, etc) is stable and ok on batt life. I tried MIUI and loved the UI and slick shortcuts, music player among other things, but the things I want to work arent working yet and the batt life on it was killing my phone. I later discovered on tweaking and turning off certain services to save juice but I feel I get more from Liberty. Im just waiting on MIUI to be fully functional and complete on the X so that I can jump back on it.

griz.droidx
09-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Running the latest and greatest CM7GB and Jakebites mods, best battery life ever for a 2nd init. A few minor bugs here and there, but once it gets there look the f out. Its gonna be one tough rom to beat, esp after chevy, rummy, fab, the liquid team, and others get their fingers in it.

gbrinn
09-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I've run .602 stock, rooted and DSX and then CM7-GB. I like CM7 and DSX but for some reason, DSX and my phone didn't get along, with my phone running hotter than usual. Battery life isn't much different with my extended battery some days. Not sure why, but I get these sudden drops in battery life. But that's not enough to make me switch.

thejamhole
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I started with liberty 1.5 then 2.01 now I'm o justice. It works great other than the few bugs everyone has been reporting. It's fast and stable overclocked low voltage at 1.1 ghz. I was thinking of hopping on the pure cm7 but im kind of waiting to see if it gets upgraded.

Sent from dx justice .1

as_daylight_dies
09-11-2011, 06:51 AM
I started with liberty 1.5 then 2.01 now I'm o justice. It works great other than the few bugs everyone has been reporting. It's fast and stable overclocked low voltage at 1.1 ghz. I was thinking of hopping on the pure cm7 but im kind of waiting to see if it gets upgraded.

Sent from dx justice .1

If you want to switch to CM7, wait for the official release of CM7GB or you could give the unofficial release a try

~Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.9.9

gbrinn
09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
The unofficial is pretty good.

Sent from my Droid X on CM7-GB

Like_A_Boss57
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Yea I am on the unofficial CM7GB as well and like it a lot so far.

Burncycle
09-15-2011, 11:10 AM
The Cm7GB is amazing. Of course there are still bugs but it is much more complete than any of the froyo versions, and has amazing battery life. No matter what rom I run though, I always come back to MIUI. I love it because its look is just so much different than that of standard android. I think it's more of a "look what I have on my phone" sort of feeling. Once it gets the GB kernel I will be a happy camper :D

as_daylight_dies
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
The Cm7GB is amazing. Of course there are still bugs but it is much more complete than any of the froyo versions, and has amazing battery life. No matter what rom I run though, I always come back to MIUI. I love it because its look is just so much different than that of standard android. I think it's more of a "look what I have on my phone" sort of feeling. Once it gets the GB kernel I will be a happy camper :D

+1

~Sent from my Droid X running MIUI 1.9.9

griz.droidx
09-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Right now, CM7GB for me too. A great rom. Great battery life. No HDMI.

Tried Sensei's 602 v3 rom, it was a nice rom, for the short time I was on it (missed cm7 features). And it was fast for a blurry rom.

Tried Apex RC3, another nice rom, very fast too. I have to say that Sensei's 602 seemed to be just as fast as Apex, but this is judging by seat of the pants feel, I can't back that up with numbers or benches.