PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question

dechristimo
08-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm new to the world of droids and I was wondering if there was any way to root gingerbread other than sbfing and installing the pre-rooted gingerbread file?

Snow02
08-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Nope.

Xeno62277
08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
If you are running froyo (2.2.2), you can root with gingerbreak 1.2, install the recovery bootloader, and install P3's pre-rooted GB. If you are already running Gingerbread (2.3.3) then you will have to .sbf back to 2.2.2.

nemosfate
08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
It sounds more intimidating and harder than it really is

root, roms and themes oh my!

Xeno62277
08-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Agreed... if you can read and follow directions you can do this no problem.
UPDATED - [HOW-TO] SBF back to stock Froyo, Update to P3Droids Pre-Rooted GB Update - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193818) <-- Read and Follow :)

dechristimo
08-10-2011, 02:22 AM
oh yeah its so easily stated and i know i can easily do it, but i just dont want to wipe my phone. (I think that was one of the steps) I know I have my contacts backed up, but ive got a lot of music, apps (not just pointless ones either like school related ones), and general info i dont want to be cleared. and i know gingerbreak doesnt wipe your phone but factory resetting does. So im assuming that theres work being done on developing a gingerbreak for gingerbread? If so, how soon do you think thatd be?

nemosfate
08-10-2011, 02:33 AM
oh yeah its so easily stated and i know i can easily do it, but i just dont want to wipe my phone. (I think that was one of the steps) I know I have my contacts backed up, but ive got a lot of music, apps (not just pointless ones either like school related ones), and general info i dont want to be cleared. and i know gingerbreak doesnt wipe your phone but factory resetting does. So im assuming that theres work being done on developing a gingerbreak for gingerbread? If so, how soon do you think thatd be?

there is no work being done to the OTA gingerbread because we have prerooted gb so the devs see no need. . Anything on the sd card will not be touched when flashing back to froyo, as for apps the apps themselves are stored through google just redownload them from the market..
What type of info are you trying not to lose? Depending on what it is it can probably be backed up somehow.

root, roms and themes oh my!

Terri M
08-10-2011, 01:31 PM

You could also purchase Titanium Backup, the Pro version. It can backup all your user apps *and* data, as well as backing up your user dictionary. All your contact data will be stored on your user account.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

Jeremy46er
08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Before sbf'ing you may want to check out this thread. I rooted GB using P3DROIDS pre-root method so I cannot speak on this from experience, however for $2.99 it may be worth a shot if it saves you from sbf'ing. It was created by P3DROID so it should be legit, I'm pretty sure that Juhde was working with him on it, he may have some more information as he seems quite helpful and knowledgeable on these forums.

ATTENTION, P3 just released the AIO Installer!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=2577)

dechristimo
08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
So I have decided to root, but what are some of the main features of rooting, in froyo i ran the v6 supercharger and had several apps (titanium backup pro, drocap, and most the ones that superuser suggested), im just wondering what are more cool things to get with a rooted droid. And i know there are very limited roms at this point.