PDA

View Full Version : Can Shuji Rom surpass Zombiestomped for Battery Life and ease of use?

justifi
08-06-2011, 03:46 AM
I found out about this rom on utube. According to DroidModd3rX, it's giving amazing battery life. As I have been perplexed as a newbie which rom to use.

I wanted a rom that was an improvement over stock yet stable, good battery life, flashable without needing to SBF, actively maintained by the developers, easy to use yet customizable, bluetooth capable, and fully functional with my exchange server at work.

I might have just found it in this Shuji rom. I have only been on it for about three hours straight, but it seems to be delivering. From what I understand it is built on Apex which I liked until, I found out that apex does not have a stable relationship with bluetooth which I use at work for my cordless headset.

I clearly have not been on this rom for long or any of the others for that matter. I would love to hear the opinions of the more experienced rom users on this board.

For fellow newbies, this is a simple rom to try. As long as your on rooted gingerbread or another G.B. 596 rom, it's an easy install. Install this rom on your SD card in your download folder. You can watch a review and download it from this url.

http://droidmodderx.com/rom-shuji-rom-dx-596-8411/

Once this has been installed on your SD use droid 2bootstrap into clockwork recovery, clear data, clear cache, advanced/clear devlek, and mount zip from SD card. Basic steps in flashing a rom.

If your anything like me, back up every step you take. I have soft bricked my phone with other roms because I rushed through a step. Use clockwork to back up your system, back up apps & data with titanium back up, use a back up app for your texts and phone logs.

You can breath comfortably as you flash this rom, once you have finished all of your back ups. Everything else is flashing a rom 101. I flashed my first rom other then rooted GB on Monday. Since then apex to liberty to apex to this rom. All was not smooth through each transition, Shuji was smooth.

To the more experienced how does this stack up to zombiestomped? Zombiestomped seems to be a lovefest by all who have tried it. I am just waiting for a day off to try it as I am likely going to have to do an SBF to get off it. Not to mention, it appears that the developer isn't actively supporting GB .596

P.S. To fellow newbies, install ADW launcher from the market. It's a great compliment to roms. It's mostly decorative, but there are tons of free themes to play with. The best part is making changes with the launcher is as easy using a dry eraser with almost no damage to how your phone operates.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dburgessme2
08-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi, there!

I'm wondering about a couple of basics:

1) Does camera and camcorder work? If so, is it the blur camera or what?
2) Is your GPS working? (I've read some having difficulties)
3) Having any issues with the Market? Did you download GAPPS from there or somewhere else?
4) I'm assuming a going from .596 rooted, deodexed to this should be a breez. As well as just flashing a nandroid backup if I don't like it?

I really have been wanting to do a different ROM. But, functionality and stability are too crucial for me. And, right now....everything basically works!!

Thanks!

Detonation
08-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Here's the "official" discussion thread:

[ROM] Shuji ROM - DX (http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?2432-ROM-Shuji-ROM-DX)

justifi
08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi, there!

I'm wondering about a couple of basics:

1) Does camera and camcorder work? If so, is it the blur camera or what?
2) Is your GPS working? (I've read some having difficulties)
3) Having any issues with the Market? Did you download GAPPS from there or somewhere else?
4) I'm assuming a going from .596 rooted, deodexed to this should be a breez. As well as just flashing a nandroid backup if I don't like it?

I really have been wanting to do a different ROM. But, functionality and stability are too crucial for me. And, right now....everything basically works!!

Thanks!

I tried the camera and it's working. The camera photo ability is one of my least favorite features of the droid x. As far as I'm concerned from my original operating system, the camera has consistently sucked. I have iphone envy when it comes to the camera. I'm not sure which camera it is using.

I don't use GPS in any official capacity. The apps that need my location seem to work.

Market is working. I'm not clear what you are referring to about gapps. So far all my apps seem to be working. I reinstalled the swype keyboard from my titanium backup. It's working.

Yes, it would be easy to switch out of this rom.

My job is reliant on my cell phone, so stability is also important to me. So far the only complaint is occasional disconnect with my bluetooth headset. That issue is still better than apex.

Zog
08-06-2011, 02:36 PM
This rom appears to have the same performance and battery tweaks, but uses an apex-like base for speed.. which means less blur but more importantly NO HDMI! There's nothing unique about it, rename this from shuji to 'libex stomped'. Wasn't impressed with justice and even less with this.

Ones blurry, one isn't.. hard to compare the two. ZS is still better IMO.

I really don't see a point in 596 "aosp" roms with 2nd init being out now. Get blurry or get aosp, why stick in the middle?

MIUI FTW!

3rotorRX8
08-06-2011, 04:43 PM
This rom appears to have the same performance and battery tweaks, but uses an apex-like base for speed.. which means less blur but more importantly NO HDMI! There's nothing unique about it, rename this from shuji to 'libex stomped'. Wasn't impressed with justice and even less with this.

I really don't see a point in 596 "aosp" roms with 2nd init being out now. Get blurry or get aosp, why stick in the middle?

MIUI FTW!

+1
Well put.

justifi
08-06-2011, 06:51 PM

MIUI FTW!

Please clarify a few points for me.

1) What is IMO?

2) Libexstomped?

3) "Get blurry or get aosp, why stick in the middle? "

Isn't this a aosp rom? Is this considered a blurry aosp? How is it blurry?

Thanks

3rotorRX8
08-06-2011, 06:57 PM
#1 in my opinion
#2 liberty apex zombie stomped combined
#3 aosp (think cm7) blurry (think stock or darkslide X)

This is a mix of aosp and moto blurr

JNEHAMA
08-06-2011, 07:54 PM
This is a mix of aosp and moto blurr

Some of us may actually like that middle of the road. For example most of the init 2 roms have marginal battery life even though they are "real aosp", which may be a deal breaker for some, but they like the speed they get from that Apex base. Don't scorn something just because it's not your cup of tea, be grateful for the diversity of roms now available, that more people can find exactly what they need. Remember, everyone's use of a cell phone is different and sometimes it's just that in between rom that fits the bill!

@justifi I now see you helping out! That's wonderful, you seem to have taken to romming like a duck to water! Lol.

3rotorRX8
08-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Some of us may actually like that middle of the road. For example most of the init 2 roms have marginal battery life even though they are "real aosp", which may be a deal breaker for some, but they like the speed they get from that Apex base. Don't scorn something just because it's not your cup of tea, be grateful for the diversity of roms now available, that more people can find exactly what they need.

U have got to be kidding me!!
did I anyway shape or form talk bad or down about this rom??? No I didn't, I answered a persons question on is this an aosp or blurry rom.

B3N
08-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Lol... Lol, lol, lol & lol
I love it.
Different strokes for different folks. ('. ')
I love the bling of Miui.
Miui is a lil too buggy for me.
SSX is everything I need.
Flashy. Bling. Stable.
I have 4 dx's at home. Usually on different roms. Friday we had
Miui, ssx, asop liberty, rooted GB.
Today we have ssx, ssx, ssx, ota gb.
Hmmmm.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

justifi
08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Here's the "official" discussion thread:

[ROM] Shuji ROM - DX (http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?2432-ROM-Shuji-ROM-DX)

Thank you there was ton of information in that forum. Not to mention real exchanges between the actual developers and forum members.

justifi
08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Some of us may actually like that middle of the road. For example most of the init 2 roms have marginal battery life even though they are "real aosp", which may be a deal breaker for some, but they like the speed they get from that Apex base. Don't scorn something just because it's not your cup of tea, be grateful for the diversity of roms now available, that more people can find exactly what they need. Remember, everyone's use of a cell phone is different and sometimes it's just that in between rom that fits the bill!

@justifi I now see you helping out! That's wonderful, you seem to have taken to romming like a duck to water! Lol.

Thank you for your comments and for all the help that you have so patiently given to me. I just thought to share my newbie experience. Those of you that are more experienced sometimes take for granted that we understand somethings, that might seem obvious.

justifi
08-06-2011, 10:03 PM
U have got to be kidding me!!
did I anyway shape or form talk bad or down about this rom??? No I didn't, I answered a persons question on is this an aosp or blurry rom.

There is some good news from that rootzwiki forum:

" Anyway, Jake is now part of our new DEV TEAM, Sturdy Click Syndicate, & we are working on a few ROMs right now, to be released soon. The great parts of ZS will be incorporated. "

Apparently this guy, Jake, is the developer of zombiestomped. This Shuji rom may get some real solid legs as it's actively still in developmental stage. This is not a finished rom. As they intend to incorporate the much loved elements of zombiestomped, who knows it might ultimately surpass expectations.

Like I said earlier, I'm new. Based on what I have been reading about various roms and the works of android rom developers, this group of developers working on this Shuji rom reads like well known rock stars coming together on a serious jam session.

PS. Thanks for answering my questions.

aramiscrimson
08-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I believe the biggest thing this rom brings to the table is the group of people behind it. Call of libexstompied or what ever. It was put together with the help of many of the devs we all have used. And it has a couple of really good themers to support it. I kinda like that they are pooling together to make stuff. More for me to play with.

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

heavyMGS
08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Lol... Lol, lol, lol & lol
I love it.
Different strokes for different folks. ('. ')
I love the bling of Miui.
Miui is a lil too buggy for me.
SSX is everything I need.
Flashy. Bling. Stable.
I have 4 dx's at home. Usually on different roms. Friday we had
Miui, ssx, asop liberty, rooted GB.
Today we have ssx, ssx, ssx, ota gb.
Hmmmm.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That is just awesome!

I've been rocking SSX for a few weeks now and I love it! The Battery life is pretty good (8 to 10 hours of decent usage) and the speed of it is incredible. I was usually sitting between 140 to 160MB of free memory all the time.

I have had a few issues with it though.

Some of my settings will not take unless I reboot, sometimes but the main issue is the GPS navigation. Sometimes it seems to work for me and sometimes I get searching for service. I finds me OK but then it won't navigate. It's been hit or miss but overall I'm totally digging it. I came from Liberty V.09.

I'm debating trying the MIUI here shortly due to all the hype.

And I've never tried Apex which is on my list as well as Liquid.

Later.

alphabets
08-08-2011, 09:36 AM
came from MIUI to this and loving every second of it. the battery life is phenominal and it just seems more complete than MIUI. i'll be on shuji for a long time and im glad i got in on it in the beginning. let the themes roll out!

akeezy
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Shuji failed me in terms of battery life. I already didn't like the rom but just wanted to give it a spin. I got 10 hours with very light usage. Zombiestomped has given me the best battery of any rom I've ever used, and i've used everything but the most of the liberty roms.

Besides the battery life, I absolutely hate that there are source apps on 596 gingerbread. Besides the music connection, that is a good music player haha but AOSP on MOTOBLUR just bothers me and I felt icky using it haha

alphabets
08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Shuji failed me in terms of battery life. I already didn't like the rom but just wanted to give it a spin. I got 10 hours with very light usage. Zombiestomped has given me the best battery of any rom I've ever used, and i've used everything but the most of the liberty roms.

Besides the battery life, I absolutely hate that there are source apps on 596 gingerbread. Besides the music connection, that is a good music player haha but AOSP on MOTOBLUR just bothers me and I felt icky using it haha

thats weird. yesterday i got over 14 hours of heavy use. streaming crackle and sirius alot. tried to kill it. and that was really before customizing and optimizing my settings.

fc127
08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
This is what I am getting with "light-ish" use:
http://tapatalk.com/mu/485a5939-1751-7a58.jpg

What doesn't show is that I was on Facebook as well as the tapatalk app for a little while.

I don't think that's too bad!

From Shuji on my DX

akeezy
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess it just doesn't work well with my phone. I went through 3 different cycles with it

alphabets
08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I guess it just doesn't work well with my phone. I went through 3 different cycles with it

it's crazy how different roms/apps, etc. work differently on different phones of the same model. sometimes i have problems that no one else has and vice/versa.

akeezy
08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Yea and that gets frustrating sometimes haha

milski65
08-12-2011, 06:52 AM

Did you wipe batt stats and run battery callibration? I have it on my wifi only X. 35% brightness, minimum usage, display on 3 hours 20 minutes and it lasted 52 hours with 5% left. I realize this isn't real world usage, but at least on my phone those numbers are pretty stellar. Run DSX on my active X. Great battery life there as well.

akeezy
08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Yea I calibrated but had the same results. But even if the battery life had been better, I was frustrated with the fact that it was source based. Motoblur and I have been getting along well lately haha