PDA

View Full Version : Will Apex work with exchange server?

justifi
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I am just about to flash my first rom. I need to know will Apex work with my exchange server at work with my emails, calenders, and contacts ? If not, is there something I can download? Will gmail I be able to sync gmail? Will my bluetooth work?

I just backed up using clockwork, titanium back up, sms text, and my phone log? Did I forget anything? ,Before flashing, I need to clear data and my cache? As I didn't have the earlier version of Apex, I don't have to clear devlik?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
All that stuff you are wanting backed up will be backed up with your Google account. As soon as your back in Google your contacts emails and calendar dates will all be back it order.

FreeMyMoto!!!

justifi
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
All that stuff you are wanting backed up will be backed up with your Google account. As soon as your back in Google your contacts emails and calendar dates will all be back it order.

FreeMyMoto!!!

I think exchange server works with google because of some kind of motoblur app. Stock GB comes with an exchange server app.

The persuader
08-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Justifi....

Well, this should work with the Exchange...Get all your setting from your IT Tech Guy FIRST...then setting it up just like adding an account...Gmail & Yahoo should work the same...Sometimes it takes more the 15 minutes to get everything Sync...but you should be Ok...

This is what I know referring to Apex... Emails, Contacts Calender should work fine after set up...follow the step exactly...I would Manually enter this info rather then letting it set up Auto...It doesnt Add your POP Server Or Smtp for some reason..

Bluetooth I am not sure...

Make sure you do a Backup before you start anything...When Changing to different ROM's...Clear Data/Cache...Dalvik Cache wouldnt be a bad idea either...

justifi
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Justifi....

Well, this should work with the Exchange...Get all your setting from your IT Tech Guy FIRST...then setting it up just like adding an account...Gmail & Yahoo should work the same...Sometimes it takes more the 15 minutes to get everything Sync...but you should be Ok...

This is what I know referring to Apex... Emails, Contacts Calender should work fine after set up...follow the step exactly...I would Manually enter this info rather then letting it set up Auto...It doesnt Add your POP Server Or Smtp for some reason..

Bluetooth I am not sure...

Make sure you do a Backup before you start anything...When Changing to different ROM's...Clear Data/Cache...Dalvik Cache wouldnt be a bad idea either...

My companies IT's guy has the 4g android by Tmobile. He suggested that I download touchdown, just in case. I don't think we use a pop up account. I'll backup touchdown with titanium and take screen shots of my exchange server settings, just encase.

His phone is rooted and he uses cyn...7, but he doesn't do the dailys. For my first rom, I'm going to stick to a gingerbread based rom.

Thank you

The persuader
08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello Justifi...

Your Correct with Corp Emails...You will not use POP with Corp...I have both....

You know who has Touchdown and has been using it for quite sometime... is my friend...(I Think) spodoc one of our Members...He's an Advocate for Corp Emails with Touchdown...the Server seems to be more dependable or Realible for exchanging Corp Emails...Not Seemless but solid...

I've had my Speed Bumps in the begin but everything has settled down...

Good Luck

justifi
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Hello Justifi...

Your Correct with Corp Emails...You will not use POP with Corp...I have both....

You know who has Touchdown and has been using it for quite sometime... is my friend...(I Think) spodoc one of our Members...He's an Advocate for Corp Emails with Touchdown...the Server seems to be more dependable or Realible for exchanging Corp Emails...Not Seemless but solid...

I've had my Speed Bumps in the begin but everything has settled down...

Good Luck

Touchdown is a major battery drain. The stock exchange software is waaaay better on my battery.

The persuader
08-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Agreed with Touchdown...Battery Life was far from Stella...LOL...the Server is pretty good and dependable moving Emails forward to your source of Origin...

Stock Exchange really does work very well...

Until the Server decides to leave Our Plant...Then the Emails are in Orbit somewhere until they get funneled thru the Neck Of an Hour Glass...Or when your waiting for that important email that never comes down...then the Drill begins...LOL

thunder550
08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I am using Apex 2.0 RC2 with my corporate Exchange server with no problems.

The persuader
08-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Love is in the Air

Its Bubba

spodoc
08-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Any stock rom should handle basic exchange connectivity just fine. I use stock and it works for me.

If you need full connectivity/features like you'd find on a blackberry, then go touchdown or one of the similar 3rd party apps.

For instance, if you need to search emails by sender or move messages from one folder to another, stock is limited in that capacity. I don't need that so i go stock.

Stock is a bit more integrated with stock calendar, phone contacts, while td is all self contained. Nice thing is you can try td for 30 days to see if it fits your needs.

Finally know that there IS some primative search capability with blur-based stock email (long-press menus to reveal keyboard and then start typing... you will see it sort.) This is not possible on roms with blur stripped out.

Good luck

Dabrador
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Been running APEX 2.0 RC2 since it came out. There was one big problem with the stock e-mail app connected to my company's exchange server. Whenever I read new e-mails on Outlook, the stock e-mail app did not update. In other words, if I had 3 unread e-mails and read them all on my PC through Outlook and then 3 more new e-mails came in, the phone would show a total of 6 new e-mails. I had to manually clear the unread e-mails on the phone, it would not sync properly with Outlook on exchange.

I fixed this by moving back to Touchdown. I've had Touchdown since my OG. It is NOT a battery drain. I like that I can indicate a separate LED notification color for exchange e-mails. And, it does properly sync with our exchange server.

The persuader
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Additional emails...it could be a setting in Outlook...
Tools...Accounts...Properties...Advanced...see if it "Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked...Uncheck it....
That worked fir me...got rid of the duplicates

Its Bubba

spodoc
08-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Deleting emails on the server is not the fault of the stock app. Mine never deletes them when read. You must have set it up wrong.

justifi
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Any stock rom should handle basic exchange connectivity just fine. I use stock and it works for me.

If you need full connectivity/features like you'd find on a blackberry, then go touchdown or one of the similar 3rd party apps.

For instance, if you need to search emails by sender or move messages from one folder to another, stock is limited in that capacity. I don't need that so i go stock.

Stock is a bit more integrated with stock calendar, phone contacts, while td is all self contained. Nice thing is you can try td for 30 days to see if it fits your needs.

Finally know that there IS some primative search capability with blur-based stock email (long-press menus to reveal keyboard and then start typing... you will see it sort.) This is not possible on roms with blur stripped out.

Good luck

I'm surprised that you are on stock! From my perspective, your one of the resident experts on this forum. When you say stock, you mean 596 not the OTA?

Have you tweaked it for better battery life and processing speed? If so exactly which apps did you use and would you mind sharing screenshots of those app settings?

Thank you

Dabrador
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Additional emails...it could be a setting in Outlook...
Tools...Accounts...Properties...Advanced...see if it "Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked...Uncheck it....
That worked fir me...got rid of the duplicates

Its Bubba

Could not find this option in my version of Outlook (2010)

Deleting emails on the server is not the fault of the stock app. Mine never deletes them when read. You must have set it up wrong.

Ok...would love to know how to fix it. How do you have it setup?

spodoc
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm surprised that you are on stock! From my perspective, your one of the resident experts on this forum. When you say stock, you mean 596 not the OTA?

Have you tweaked it for better battery life and processing speed? If so exactly which apps did you use and would you mind sharing screenshots of those app settings?

Thank you

Well thanks but I'm not sure I deserve that.

What is it about my settings that you'd like to know? Ill help anyway I can.

I'm using liberty 1.5 email.apk since it blocks certain exchange permissions ( e.g force pin lock)

justifi
08-04-2011, 09:52 PM

I'm using liberty 1.5 email.apk since it blocks certain exchange permissions ( e.g force pin lock)

I didn't have any problems with exchange server on .596. I was referring to how have you tweaked .596 to extend your battery life?

spodoc
08-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I was never on 596. I've been on gummyjar and rubix most of the life of my phone. I borrow liberty email.apk due to the blocked exchange permissions.

I also use that apk when on 2nd init roms and it works fine. I don't feel like I explained that well.

spodoc
08-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I put 596 on my wife's phone but she's just using yahoo and gmail.

Chipworkz
08-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Not to side track the thread but I am on rooted .596 and one thing I noticed is I DON'T NEED A PIN! I had everything set up and working and then realized, I never setup a pin this time. Exchange still worked fine. I setup a pin for security sake and then just deleted it to test. Still works fine without a pin.

Do you think this has something to do with being rooted or freezing apps? It is completely stock except for being rooted and freezing apps.

Got me wondering now...

spodoc
08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I set my wife's 596 phone up to my exchange just to see and it did and for pin. I don't think that's blocked on 596. Kejar's email.apk is the only one I'm aware of that blocks those permissions