PDA

View Full Version : [HOW TO] BE READY to FLASH GB/2nd-INIT ROMs

macpro88
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Little help guide on how to be prepared to flash Gingerbread ROM's and 2nd-INIT based ROM's!

Part 1: 2nd-INIT, what is is, and what it is not.

The first and fore most thing you need to do first is READ! I can not stress this enough on how important it is to read up and understand what you are doing to your phone! Detailed instructions are always found in the original and first post of the ROM you are trying to flash!

So now, what is 2nd-INIT? Read this here: Still Loading ... blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works (http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works)

tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version: 2nd-init uses PFM to reload the initialization process, 2nd-init does NOT unlock the bootloader or let you run a custom kernel.

But still read that blog! Its a good read for us techie people ;).

2nd-INIT base ROM's are ROM's based off of CyanogenMOD's open source platform which has been built from source based on AOSP, Android Open Source Project, which is all built from the latest and greatest Android OS, Android 2.3 Gingerbread. It is truly pure Android, with everything built from the ground up. These 2nd-INIT ROM's are built for Motorola devices only! Due to the fact we have a locked bootloader, other wise, CM (CyanogenMOD) base ROM's work on open devices with no issues and without the need for the 2nd-INIT process.

So far, we have the following 2nd-INIT ROM's for the DROID X:
-CyanogenMOD 7
-SSX (Simply Stunning)
-MIUI
-Liquid
-Justice (Team Liberty)

Another thing everyone needs to know about 2nd-INIT, is that it only works on the older kernel from the Froyo 2.3.340 builds. This means that it will not work coming from any of the Gingerbread versions we currently have for the DROID X due to the fact they have an update Gingerbread kernel.

(This does not mean that you are not running Gingerbread (Android 2.3), however. The base operating system for all 2nd-INIT ROM's is is fact Gingerbread 2.3.3 or higher, some are running 2.3.4 and soon to be 2.3.5.)

The kernel version should be: 2.6.32.9

With this in mind, to flash a 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on this kernel! Meaning you must already be on another 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on Froyo, or you must be on a Froyo ROM.

Flashing from Gingerbread builds with the new Gingerbread kernel will result in a brick.

Part 2: Preparation

The first step of easy flashing, is to always have key essential application files located on your SD card for easy access.

So create a new folder in the ROOT of your SD card, name it Application or something to that effect.

Place these files in there:
-z4root [FIND HERE] (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/13259-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html)
-Droid X/2 Bootstrap app(s). Really don't need both, but I do just in case. Find in the Market
-Root system file explorer, like "Root Explorer."

To move these files from the internal phone storage to your SD card, open up your root file explorer app, navigate to /data/app/ and scroll down to find the app you want to move, long press and select COPY, then navigate back to your SD card and paste it there.

Having these essential apps ready to install from your SD card makes it a lot easier to flash after you have done an SBF. This way you can skip the activation (by tapping the four corners of the set up screen when the droid comes up and says "Touch Me!") and go straight to rooting, bootstraping, and flashing a ROM without having to set anything up, since you are just going to wipe all that out anyways during the ROM installation.

The second step is to get back to Froyo base, if you have not already done so. You can get back by going through the SBF process using the Froyo 2.3.340 full system file.

Detail instructions here:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/22394-sbf-detailed-guide-success-windows-7-a.html
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

If you have issues SBF'ing, please post in the appropriate method thread above! Do not post SBF issues here please.

Part 3: On a 2nd-INIT ROM

VERY IMPORTANT! Once you are on a 2nd-INIT ROM, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FLASH THE DROID X OR DROID 2 BOOTSTRAP APPS! Custom recovery is already installed into these ROM's, flashing any one of the DX/2 Bootstraps will brick your phone!

To access recovery from a 2nd-INIT ROM, either use the built in Reboot option from the power button menu, or use ROM Manager to access recovery.

Also, in ROM Manager, you will notice that your Recovery version is 4.0.0.5 or higher, if it is not this, flash the new recovery but tapping on flash recovery and choosing the DROID X 2nd-INIT version.

Also, each 2nd-INIT ROM has different options to offer. If you like flashing ROM's, try them all! Each one has been tailored differently and you may find you like one better than another.

No two 2nd-INIT ROM's are equal, and this also means that not one is better than the other! It is all a mater of personal opinion based on what you like from the ROM.

I hope this helps everyone out!

OldEmt
07-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Well, I don't know how you can explain it any better than that. Thanks again

Nemo aeternamn
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Very well put... all the things i could try to explain about these new rom types(put a lot better then i could{and better derail})
good to see a nice explanation of all i have learned with a side of refreshment

DirtyDroid
07-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Nice write up Mac.!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Chipworkz
08-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Just to be clear, when you are using the phrase "Brick" are you saying it will actually brick the phone beyond repair? Or are you meaning that you will need to SBF to fix it.

Thanks for the detailed write up.

tycoon177
08-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Just to be clear, when you are using the phrase "Brick" are you saying it will actually brick the phone beyond repair? Or are you meaning that you will need to SBF to fix it.

You would need to sbf

macpro88
08-04-2011, 06:48 PM

SBF to fix it, perma brick is beyond repair, that's usually when you do some kinda hardware damage. I don't know of anyone perma bricking a Droid X.

Chipworkz
08-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought but just wanted to make sure. People see the word Brick and get afraid. From everything I have read, I didn't think it would be a perma brick as you called it but since this is taking it to another level with the 2nd init process, I just want to get clarification.

Thanks again for all the details.

LiveToPonder
08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
This is awesome Macpro! Really fantastic man...

macpro88
08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought but just wanted to make sure. People see the word Brick and get afraid. From everything I have read, I didn't think it would be a perma brick as you called it but since this is taking it to another level with the 2nd init process, I just want to get clarification.

Thanks again for all the details.

As long as nothing interferes with changing the bootloader than you are good, and even if you some how change the bootloader than you just need the appropriate .sbf file. Doing so is actually very difficult lol. The 2nd-INIT process comes no where near putting your phone in harms way, this all happens after the bootloader has loaded the needed files to boot.

Miles
09-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I am reading and preparing to make the jump to CyanogenMOD, but I have a question.

I would like to update my radio while I'm updating things. As i understand, the only way to do this is to use p3's two part update from .340 to jump to .602. Then, in order to be ready for CyanogenMOD, I would need to SBF back to .340. From the looks of it, using p3's SBF doesn't wipe the radio version and such like the maderstock SBF does. Does this sound right?

macpro88
09-04-2011, 04:38 PM
You will need to SBF to .340 and install the radio only file then you may update to CM7. This will require less work. The radio only file should be in the hacks section.

[Insert mobile sig here]

macpro88
09-04-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34761

Here is the radio file. Follow instructions. Need to be on .340.

[Insert mobile sig here]

towboy123
09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the write up had no clue what CM4DX doing differently than a rom. This was very understandable.

Now that all the hard work was put into CM4DX they will unlock the bootloader I bet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Rocking Honeycomb on GTV

macpro88
09-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the write up had no clue what CM4DX doing differently than a rom. This was very understandable.

Now that all the hard work was put into CM4DX they will unlock the bootloader I bet.

Rocking Honeycomb on GTV

Sorry still no hope for an unlocked bootloader. Its uncrackable. Motorola would have to unlock it for us.

[Insert mobile sig here]

towboy123
09-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Sorry still no hope for an unlocked bootloader. Its uncrackable. Motorola would have to unlock it for us.

[Insert mobile sig here]

That's what I meant now that this is available to us vzw will unlock the bootloader. Murphy's law

Rocking Honeycomb on GTV

chuck54
09-05-2011, 09:16 AM
The madderstcok sbf file doesn't work on gingerbread is what droidmodderx 's website says

You thought you were once a bad noob? You haven't thought about me..... (haha)

3club
09-05-2011, 01:11 PM
@macpro, thanks for the excellent lesson. I even read your first link, the tl;dr, and get the general idea. But I'm still confused about something:

If the locked bootloader prevents us from replacing the froyo kernel, how does the ota replace it with gingerbread? And if 2nd init is the only way to trick it into running another OS, then what are the ROMs like Apex? How do they do it? They're not 2nd init, or are they?

Sorry if my head is seeming thick. Hope I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

Nemo aeternamn
09-05-2011, 01:18 PM
@macpro, thanks for the excellent lesson. I even read your first link, the tl;dr, and get the general idea. But I'm still confused about something:

If the locked bootloader prevents us from replacing the froyo kernel, how does the ota replace it with gingerbread? And if 2nd init is the only way to trick it into running another OS, then what are the ROMs like Apex? How do they do it? They're not 2nd init, or are they?

Sorry if my head is seeming thick. Hope I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

with the bootloader locked... doesn't mean it can't be switched... it just means that it has to be signed by motorola... so the ota get's us on the factory updated kernel...

and the other builds like apex, liberty and what not... they don't use the 2nd init process... as they are built on the ota famework.... and builds like cm7 are build from the aosp... the same base that motorola uses for their builds...

towboy123
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
The way I understand it roms simply strip away what Motorola has layered on. An example would be when on liberty if you remove to much blur it starts to become unstable. With 2nd init it is ASOP therefore no blur must be removed. Its just a sneaky ingenious way around the BS.

Rocking Honeycomb on GTV

3club
09-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Okay, first, thank you all for your patience. I was getting dizzy trying to wrap my head around this, and had to step away for a while, but I'm back.

So the bootloader is locked (I was thinking a hardware thing like a chip), but really it's just a software lock that a properly signed Verizon update would have the key to unlock, right?

So the bootloader loads the kernel, which is not the operating system, but in turn loads the operating system, right? I was thinking before that the kernel was Froyo or Gingerbread, which was loaded directly by the bootloader.

So with the bootloader locked, what is it that it is preventing from being updated? Itself? The kernel? The operating system? And when the OTA updates come through, obviously they update the Android OS, but do they also update the kernel or the bootloader?

Sorry, I just re-read the Original Post where you talk about the "kernel from Froyo" and the "Gingerbread kernel", so I guess I'm still not understanding if the kernel is or is not part of the operating system.

Please, if this is too off-topic and I should go somewhere else to learn this, just let me know. I won't take it the wrong way.

macpro88
09-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Okay, first, thank you all for your patience. I was getting dizzy trying to wrap my head around this, and had to step away for a while, but I'm back.

So the bootloader is locked (I was thinking a hardware thing like a chip), but really it's just a software lock that a properly signed Verizon update would have the key to unlock, right?
[\quote]

Motorola would have to unlock it, its Motorola's software, Verizon just has a say in how it works...

[quote]
So the bootloader loads the kernel, which is not the operating system, but in turn loads the operating system, right? I was thinking before that the kernel was Froyo or Gingerbread, which was loaded directly by the bootloader.

So with the bootloader locked, what is it that it is preventing from being updated? Itself? The kernel? The operating system? And when the OTA updates come through, obviously they update the Android OS, but do they also update the kernel or the bootloader?

Sorry, I just re-read the Original Post where you talk about the "kernel from Froyo" and the "Gingerbread kernel", so I guess I'm still not understanding if the kernel is or is not part of the operating system.

Please, if this is too off-topic and I should go somewhere else to learn this, just let me know. I won't take it the wrong way.

When a new signed official update comes from Motorola, the bootloader is temporarily unlocked while the update is applied, this allows for a new kernel to be installed. Once installed, the bootloader is re-locked, and we have the new kernel installed. Once it is installed, we can use a system dump to get the info needed to run custom roms and whatnot on the new kernel. We just are not allowed to swap it out.

Now to get CM7 and other Source ROM's running on the new kernel, the 2nd-INIT hack did not work the same with the newer kernel, so some work had to be done to get it to work. Once it worked, all the ROM files then need to be updated to work on the new kernel.

Its a lot of work lol, but you need not worry about it.

The kernel is a piece of software separate from the OS. It pretty much tells the hardware how to interact with the OS.

Hope this helps.

3club
09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Motorola would have to unlock it, its Motorola's software, Verizon just has a say in how it works...

Ah, thanks for that. So although we get the updates from Verizon, Verizon actually tells Motorola what to put in the update (like the stuff to track tethering), Motorola puts the package together, and gives it to Verizon to distribute to us. Right?

When a new signed official update comes from Motorola, the bootloader is temporarily unlocked while the update is applied, this allows for a new kernel to be installed. Once installed, the bootloader is re-locked, and we have the new kernel installed. Once it is installed, we can use a system dump to get the info needed to run custom roms and whatnot on the new kernel. We just are not allowed to swap it out.

Except when we SBF? Then we can just swap it out because what we are flashing is signed by Motorola?

Now to get CM7 and other Source ROM's running on the new kernel, the 2nd-INIT hack did not work the same with the newer kernel, so some work had to be done to get it to work. Once it worked, all the ROM files then need to be updated to work on the new kernel.

So all Source ROMs are 2nd-init, and any ROMs that are not 2nd-init (like Apex) are not Source ROMs but just Motorola ROMs with stuff stripped out?

Its a lot of work lol, but you need not worry about it.

I'm sure it is a lot of work, and I'm in awe of the skill of all the devs, and grateful for their dedication. I know what it's like to do something difficult for someone and have them say "thanks, that's nice" and not really understand what you're giving them.

The kernel is a piece of software separate from the OS. It pretty much tells the hardware how to interact with the OS.
Hope this helps.
Yes, this has been very helpful. I've been reading and googling as much as I can, and will continue to do so. Thanks for taking the time to help!

macpro88
09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Ah, thanks for that. So although we get the updates from Verizon, Verizon actually tells Motorola what to put in the update (like the stuff to track tethering), Motorola puts the package together, and gives it to Verizon to distribute to us. Right?

Except when we SBF? Then we can just swap it out because what we are flashing is signed by Motorola?

So all Source ROMs are 2nd-init, and any ROMs that are not 2nd-init (like Apex) are not Source ROMs but just Motorola ROMs with stuff stripped out?

I'm sure it is a lot of work, and I'm in awe of the skill of all the devs, and grateful for their dedication. I know what it's like to do something difficult for someone and have them say "thanks, that's nice" and not really understand what you're giving them.

Yes, this has been very helpful. I've been reading and googling as much as I can, and will continue to do so. Thanks for taking the time to help!

I think the updates actually come from Google's servers. Motorola builds the updates, Verizon approves them, and then Google pushes them. I'm pretty sure.

When you SBF, you are flashing a fully signed official Motorola flash file, that wipes the entire flash memory chip and re-installs everything, kernel included, not sure if the bootloader is also included or not, don't think so though.

All Source ROMs for Motorola Verizon DROID branded phones are 2nd-INIT (DX, D2 I think are it), if you have an unlocked phone, 2nd-INIT does not apply.

Glad to help :)

Miles
09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
DXC - Baseband Update .13P (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34761)

Here is the radio file. Follow instructions. Need to be on .340.

[Insert mobile sig here]

Macpro88 with a lightening fast reply as always. Thank you.

chuck54
09-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I am reading and preparing to make the jump to CyanogenMOD, but I have a question.

I would like to update my radio while I'm updating things. As i understand, the only way to do this is to use p3's two part update from .340 to jump to .602. Then, in order to be ready for CyanogenMOD, I would need to SBF back to .340. From the looks of it, using p3's SBF doesn't wipe the radio version and such like the maderstock SBF does. Does this sound right?

Has anyone tried sbf'ing on stock gb using the madderstcok.zip? If it works, mission portable sbf is then complete!

You thought you were once a bad noob? You haven't thought about me..... (haha)

Nine Four One
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
WOW, now my head is spinning.. ok so if i had my orignal phone and was on 2.3.3...then went to apex. before i can jump to cyranogen mod i have to jump back before 2.3.3?...and sorry to peg everyones noob radar. i just get to a point where i think i can just squeek by then i read stuff like this. so many things to take in.

macpro88
11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
WOW, now my head is spinning.. ok so if i had my orignal phone and was on 2.3.3...then went to apex. before i can jump to cyranogen mod i have to jump back before 2.3.3?...and sorry to peg everyones noob radar. i just get to a point where i think i can just squeek by then i read stuff like this. so many things to take in.

If you want to jump to the official CM7, you will actually need to SBF back to Android 2.2.1 System 2.3.340, the kernel used in this specific software version is what is needed to run the official CM7, currently, the most update DX will be Android 2.3.3 System 4.5.605, which features a new kernel but that kernel has not yet be integrated into the official CM7 family tree yet.

When in doubt, follow the instructions exactly in the ROM's release thread that you plan on flashing.