PDA

View Full Version : Are Roms mostly about redecorateing?

justifi
07-25-2011, 05:44 PM
I have been researching roms. From what I can tell roms seem to be primarily for redecorating, increased speed, and extended battery life. The way my phone looks doesn't bother me. Someone else in this forum, who apparently tried almost all the various roms, says stock rooted GB with an overclocking app, autostart app, and titanium back up or a similar app seems to have produced the speed and battery life of a lot of roms.

I would like to try a rom, but it seems like you give up some functionality from rooted GB in exchange for the ability to redecorate. I haven't played with any roms yet because I'm gun shy of losing productivity because of something that use to work in stock rooted gingerbread isn't working with a particular rom. I bricked my phone for almost 2 days on my personal learning curve from OTA gingerbread SBF to froyo to rooted GB. I was not fully functional at my job during that time.

Basically rooted GB appears more stable then the OTA. I would like my GB to work at it's best or a rom doesn't compromise the ability of of my droid to work less than stock. On the average I get 10 to 11 hours of battery life. I always have an extra charged battery, which I might use 2 times a week on average.

I thank you and anyone else who shares their experience with me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

shawn
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Except for battery life wich is slowly improving with the nightlys for me the smoothest Rom I've been on with no issues once the camera fix is applied is cm4dx

aramiscrimson
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
+1 shawn. I have tried almost every Rom made for the dx and there is no way I will go back to stock. More memory, better speed, no reboots. You give up very little for what you gain.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tribals
07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
I was hesitant to root and try a rom myself, but now I wish I had a longtime ago. :)

This is the first one I have tried so far and love it. So much faster and im still @ 80% battery since my last charge which was last night.

Rock'n Darkslide X

spodoc
07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
It's been since last fall that I used stock froyo so it's hard to reach back and remember, but lag was the huge thing I remember. Oh, that and the blur-induced email clog that is well known. So for me switching to a rom w/ Launcher Pro has made the phone respond as I'd expect and has all but solved email issues.

What did I give up? A lot of free time. It takes a while to read up to where you are knowledgable enough to flash responsibly. For instance yesterday I wanted MIUI rom. Well I was about to leave and wanted to flash before we got in the truck. So I forgot to wipe data (doh!) and bootlooped. Subsequent attempts to rescue the phone didn't work because this is 2nd init rom. So I had to SBF. I proceeded to do so when I got home and was up and running in an hour. No freak-out. No cries for help. No returning the phone like some people. Point of that is reading and experience helped. Baby steps... Baby steps.

So, roms give you speed take your time. Arguing which is more stable is pointless because it's all how you flash and whether you are running a full release or a beta. My advice OP, if you are considerting it, flash a 3rd party launcher like LPP or ADW and use that to buy you a week or two while you read.

spodoc
07-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I have been researching roms. From what I can tell roms seem to be primarily for redecorating, increased speed, and extended battery life. The way my phone looks doesn't bother me. Someone else in this forum, who apparently tried almost all the various roms, says stock rooted GB with an overclocking app, autostart app, and titanium back up or a similar app seems to have produced the speed and battery life of a lot of roms.

I would like to try a rom, but it seems like you give up some functionality from rooted GB in exchange for the ability to redecorate. I haven't played with any roms yet because I'm gun shy of losing productivity because of something that use to work in stock rooted gingerbread isn't working with a particular rom. I bricked my phone for almost 2 days on my personal learning curve from OTA gingerbread SBF to froyo to rooted GB. I was not fully functional at my job during that time.

Basically rooted GB appears more stable then the OTA. I would like my GB to work at it's best or a rom doesn't compromise the ability of of my droid to work less than stock. On the average I get 10 to 11 hours of battery life. I always have an extra charged battery, which I might use 2 times a week on average.

I thank you and anyone else who shares their experience with me.

On stability, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As soon as you flash bootstrap, then make a nandroid of your stock, rooted, 596. Then go flash any GB rom you want. You can always flash back your original 596 nandroid if stability or battery life are troubling you :) Unless you live and die by your phone for work, then just have fun.

spodoc
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I bricked my phone for almost 2 days on my personal learning curve from OTA gingerbread SBF to froyo to rooted GB. I was not fully functional at my job during that time.

Ouch, what did you do wrong? Odds are you will do a better job next time :) RS here will get you going again, but maybe wait till friday night so you're not down at work?

The persuader
07-25-2011, 09:06 PM
spodoc...

Haven't we All Been Their at the wrong time...ME Included...Thats all about "Love in the Air"
August is Almost here...LOL...:wink:

spodoc
07-25-2011, 09:12 PM
spodoc...

Haven't we All Been Their at the wrong time...ME Included...Thats all about "Love in the Air"
August is Almost here...LOL...:wink:

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound preachy. I guess I just wanted to advocate easing into the rom world and reading. Just because people are flashing 2nd init CM derivatives like MIUI doesn't mean that should be your first experience. Try Apex 1.3 or GummyJar 2.5 for a month :)

August 2011? Try August 2012 now. No, I'm not kidding :( That's govt for ya.

Leach19m
07-25-2011, 09:12 PM
OP, ROMing is one of those things that you really can't understand how great it is until you've done it and used it so you can compare yourself. For example, your friend has an iPhone and you're trying to tell him why your X is so great...nothing you say will really convince him because he hasn't actually used it and felt the difference.

As others have mentioned, just make a Nandroid backup before you flash anything so you can go back if need be, but you need to try it yourself so you can see how amazing ROMs can make your phone

justifi
07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Except for battery life wich is slowly improving with the nightlys for me the smoothest Rom I've been on with no issues once the camera fix is applied is cm4dx

That is interesting. I haven't heard very much about that one. What else do you like about it? The word nightlies makes me think there must be something seriously wrong, if you have to update nightly.

spodoc
07-25-2011, 09:22 PM
That is interesting. I haven't heard very much about that one. What else do you like about it? The word nightlies makes me think there must be something seriously wrong, if you have to update nightly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums On the contrary, the CM devs are constantly working out fixes. Instead of releasing a new beta version every week or month until they get a stable version, their computer auto-generates a new version each night from their work that day. So if they fix GPS today, then the nightly will have that fix. Basically, it's for people that just GOTTA have CM but don't want to wait two months for them to release a full stable version with everything working. Given that it's compiled each night, some nightlies can be worse if a change they made has a cascading negative effect somewhere else.

"Something seriously wrong"... well, kinda. CM is still beta for the DX so there is a LOT seriously wrong. It's still amazing though.

Leach19m
07-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Haha nightlies don't mean that something is wrong with it. It's just that it's a beta so they're making changes and fixes slowly, almost on a nightly basis. So everyday a build bot makes an entire new build containing all the previous data plus any new changes.

Edit: NINJA STRUCK!

The persuader
07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
spodoc...Stay Positive...I will be your Wing Man...:wink:Its not so far away....

I do support the use of Apex 1.3 or GummyJar 2.5 for New ROM Users...Gives you a chance to test the Waters....I would be the first one to tell you so...But I do like the Fear of the Unknown with ROM's which gets me in trouble...but not really...

Its those Damn Emails Issues that come back to Haunt Me...IMO...thats more of my Issues then switching from ROM to ROM...I created my Own Adjectives and some I've made up just because of those Non-responsive Email Issues...

P6...was just waiting for me...those Lovely Padded Walls...LOL

justifi
07-25-2011, 09:26 PM
It's been since last fall that I used stock froyo so it's hard to reach back and remember, but lag was the huge thing I remember. Oh, that and the blur-induced email clog that is well known. So for me switching to a rom w/ Launcher Pro has made the phone respond as I'd expect and has all but solved email issues.

What did I give up? A lot of free time. It takes a while to read up to where you are knowledgable enough to flash responsibly. For instance yesterday I wanted MIUI rom. Well I was about to leave and wanted to flash before we got in the truck. So I forgot to wipe data (doh!) and bootlooped. Subsequent attempts to rescue the phone didn't work because this is 2nd init rom. So I had to SBF. I proceeded to do so when I got home and was up and running in an hour. No freak-out. No cries for help. No returning the phone like some people. Point of that is reading and experience helped. Baby steps... Baby steps.

So, roms give you speed take your time. Arguing which is more stable is pointless because it's all how you flash and whether you are running a full release or a beta. My advice OP, if you are considerting it, flash a 3rd party launcher like LPP or ADW and use that to buy you a week or two while you read.

I have LauncherPro Plus. I like it but it doesn't do much. That is the LLP that you are referring too? Maybe I will give ADW a go.

The persuader
07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Leach...

"Nothing but Net" on that statement...LOL

justifi
07-25-2011, 09:30 PM
+1 shawn. I have tried almost every Rom made for the dx and there is no way I will go back to stock. More memory, better speed, no reboots. You give up very little for what you gain.

I have to say my memory sucks. I think I have 32 left.

spodoc
07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
LPP (launcher pro plus). ADW a little different but meh it's the same too. LPP just makes it snappier and gives you a lot of freedom of layout (e.g. you can adjust widget size and # of columns). That's actually quite a bit though if you take your time to tweak it just right.

All a rom will let you do more than that is some "under the hood" type stuff to make things more stable. Some have toolboxes that make changing fonts and themes a bit easier. The benefit of most is simply a one-step to bloat removal which helps battery life. Now it you are really looking to add functionality via rom flash, then 2nd init roms like CM and especially MIUI will rock your world. But they are advanced and almost certain trouble for those who are new or don't follow instructions carefully :)

spodoc
07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I have to say my memory sucks. I think I have 32 left.

Most will tell you that on linux-based systems such as android, that free memory doesn't matter. It's not windows so don't use free mem as a proxy for stability. I'm just echoing what smater individuals have said.

justifi
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I was hesitant to root and try a rom myself, but now I wish I had a longtime ago. :)

This is the first one I have tried so far and love it. So much faster and im still @ 80% battery since my last charge which was last night.

Rock'n Darkslide X

Someone suggested that darkslide is very stable. Maybe I will practice sbfing so that I am comfortable with the process. I think I will back up my phone as it is and delete an app then sbf back to the original. Or is that too easy? That just might be flashing back to a previous backup using titanium.

justifi
07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
On stability, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As soon as you flash bootstrap, then make a nandroid of your stock, rooted, 596. Then go flash any GB rom you want. You can always flash back your original 596 nandroid if stability or battery life are troubling you :) Unless you live and die by your phone for work, then just have fun.

Nandroid?? I have Droid2 bootstrap, titanium backup pro, and superuser. Are any of these nandroid?

Leach19m
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Leach...

"Nothing but Net" on that statement...LOL

lol thanks man

spodoc
OP, honestly I don't believe these amazing battery life claims. One of the very respected Devs (Kejar) was just tweeting the same gripe as I always give. that is roms, in general, are not that different in battery life. There may be a beta rom that hasn't matured yet so it's horrible on battery life (e.g. some of the 2nd init roms had race condition). That aside, getting amazing time out of a charge... it just means the person isn't using the phone. Make a call or use the screen and watch teh battery die. A rom is not going to make the radio use less juice. maybe for some in a 3g/1x area some of the roms don't handle switching well. I'm not sure. I once read where a person claimed Rubix got double the life of gummy. Sheesh, Rubix uses gummy as a base. They are basically the same. Ok, /rant

SBF is easy for some, and trouble for others. 1KDS has a site with a bootable .iso file that does the trick. I have RSD working so SBF isn't an issue from windows. I don't know why everyone has troubles with it, but concede the point that the .iso is better for most.

OP, if you SBF, charge up that battery and use the stock moto cable plugged into a real USB port (not a hub). Pick a weekend to do it so that you have time and patience to let RS help you if it doesn't work. Good luck.

Leach19m
Nandroid?? I have Droid2 bootstrap, titanium backup pro, and superuser. Are any of these nandroid?

A nandroid is an image of your system at that moment in time. That way, if anything goes wrong, you can wipe and restore that backup and your phone will be exactly as it was at that time it was made

spodoc
07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

My friendly advice, based on that post, would be not to flash a rom for at least a few weeks. Please go read up on the guides and stickes here at DXF. Good luck :) Gotta hit the hay now.

EDIT: I didn't mean that to sound rude, but if you don't know what a nandroid is, Leach explaining it to you won't make you equiped to start flashing. It's just evident that you haven't checked out the stickes and guides. Gotta log the hours and pay the dues by reading. Take care.

justifi
07-25-2011, 09:54 PM
On the contrary, the CM devs are constantly working out fixes. Instead of releasing a new beta version every week or month until they get a stable version, their computer auto-generates a new version each night from their work that day. So if they fix GPS today, then the nightly will have that fix. Basically, it's for people that just GOTTA have CM but don't want to wait two months for them to release a full stable version with everything working. Given that it's compiled each night, some nightlies can be worse if a change they made has a cascading negative effect somewhere else.

"Something seriously wrong"... well, kinda. CM is still beta for the DX so there is a LOT seriously wrong. It's still amazing though.

Got it! I'm not ready for beta anything. I would like to try one that I don't have to go back to froyo.

nemosfate
07-25-2011, 10:15 PM
For instance yesterday I wanted MIUI rom. Well I was about to leave and wanted to flash before we got in the truck. So I forgot to wipe data (doh!) and bootlooped. Subsequent attempts to rescue the phone didn't work because this is 2nd init rom. So I had to SBF. .

Ha ha I did the exact same thing, was in a rush and forgot the data wipe .... Glad to hear someone else done it lol
But on topic each rom has its perks over the other, its more preference I think. People can argue all day over which is the best for them but its up to you to find out the best for YOU...good luck
I think id have to agree with spodoc in saying you should read more before you just jump in.... I read for days and days before I even contemplated rooting and flashing roms

tribals
07-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I used 1KDS's linux iso and it worked perfectly on my first time sbfing.

And yes I have been happy with Darkslide so far. I don't do a lot of downloading, but I have been getting much better battery life than before.

Rock'n Darkslide X

shawn
07-25-2011, 11:03 PM

Cm7 for our dx is not in a final release they have the Rom in a build bot that makes changes to it nightly out of the 40 or so nightlys so far I flash about 1 out of every 7 to 10 every thing seems to ne working great except camera but there is a fix you can flash that will get it working

As others have said if this is your first attempt start slow and back backups if something does go wrong anyone of use would be willing to help out
This forum is the best when it comes to support and making friends

The persuader
07-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Leach....You're Welcome...

spodoc
07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Hey op, just wanted to say good morning and I hope you get a chance to read up on roms. Don't hesitate to ask something. There are some excellent guides here that cover the subject from head to toe.

One thing that seems to trip a lot of people up is you will need the program droid2bootstrap not droidxbootstrap. I know, doesn't sound right but the d2 flavor of that program is newer and plays nice with some of the newer roms. It has all the functionality of dxbootstrap.

By the way, that us the program that will allow you to boot into clockwork recovery and make your nandroid backup along with flashing roms, patches, themes, and add-ons. The program is only a few bucks in the market and the dev distributed for free at one point in time so you can still find that link on some random beta thread (I forget where).

AdamTomaino
07-26-2011, 06:53 AM
depends on which roms we are talking about.:tongue:

LiveToPonder
07-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Hey op, just wanted to say good morning and I hope you get a chance to read up on roms. Don't hesitate to ask something. There are some excellent guides here that cover the subject from head to toe.

One thing that seems to trip a lot of people up is you will need the program droid2bootstrap not droidxbootstrap. I know, doesn't sound right but the d2 flavor of that program is newer and plays nice with some of the newer roms. It has all the functionality of dxbootstrap.

By the way, that us the program that will allow you to boot into clockwork recovery and make your nandroid backup along with flashing roms, patches, themes, and add-ons. The program is only a few bucks in the market and the dev distributed for free at one point in time so you can still find that link on some random beta thread (I forget where).

spodoc holy +1 batman to what you said before, i cannot believe people with lil to no time invested in reading have been flashing second init roms, cant tell ya how many complaints ive read trying to bootstrap in cm7 and locking up for example. i am on darkslide now, and this was my choice as a first rom before making a jump to cm7 based builds...

edit: OP, roms are totally awesome btw, and this community will support ya every step of the way, only reason i rommed

justifi
07-26-2011, 08:47 AM

I have and use all those apps. Thank you for clarifying that a clockwork recovery backup was a nandroid.

spodoc
07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Well then ur further along that I thought :) Awesome. Hope you enjoy the gb roms. I never tried them. I'm incredulous that we still don't have a full rom gb. Well I think apex is in RC status but I have to admit I don't know what release candidate means. Is that a full stable release? And what's up with liberty still under version 1? Is it still beta? IDK, I just haven't paid attention to gb roms :) I'm not even sure if you can just go get a zip and flash w/o having to dl a special toolbox. Good luck on gb :)

I stayed on froyo roms because I was busy. Then cm came out and I figured I go that route since I could just go back by restoring nandroid of rubix.

nemosfate
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Well then ur further along that I thought :) Awesome. Hope you enjoy the gb roms. I never tried them. I'm incredulous that we still don't have a full rom gb. Well I think apex is in RC status but I have to admit I don't know what release candidate means. Is that a full stable release? And what's up with liberty still under version 1? Is it still beta? IDK, I just haven't paid attention to gb roms :) I'm not even sure if you can just go get a zip and flash w/o having to dl a special toolbox. Good luck on gb :)

I stayed on froyo roms because I was busy. Then cm came out and I figured I go that route since I could just go back by restoring nandroid of rubix.

I'm almost positive your right about what RC means...and what where you meaning about a special toolbox?

spodoc
07-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Back in the day, when a new rom was available you just downloaded the zip when it was posted. Same with sbf files. Then tbh came out with their bomb .exe file that would dl the sbf to your pc. Then they came out with the tbh app as it now exists. Following that kejar enlisted jrummy to write one of the first toolboxes. Kejar then left and all of a sudden if you wanted the new liberty you had to buy the toolbox and then they would release the newest version a few days or weeks later. So I've seen this progression towards you needing a special app or toolbox to get what is latest. IDK why that confuses me but it just does :) can't I just go download a zip from a website? I know the toolboxes support the devs. I'm just rambling and don't know what I mean by it. Ignore me :)

nemosfate
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Lol I got ya...it makes sense now

spodoc
07-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I confuse easily. I guess I reflect back on the evolution and then see a new person post a thread like the op has done here and my kneejerk reaction is to think they can't handle it and will be asking the RS to unbrick them.

Op, sorry of I assumed that about you. Flash away.

DroidxJ
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I am amused by the "redecorating" line. In many ways that is very true. Roms make your phone like nothing you've owned before! All brand new and full of discovery. Themes help you personalize to the point of total uniqueness. All the claims of super battery and uber high clocks are just that...claims. After you have learned all you can about your X and after you have practiced flashing and theming, you will discover what we all have. The remarkable range of CHOICE that the DroidX possesses. Thanks to the developers, hackers and Linux geniuses, we simple users have a whole world of possibilities to make our phones (the most personal device in our lives) truly our own. Have fun and move full steam ahead. Don't fret you'll hurt your phone. It literally can't be bricked very easily and all
help is right here.

I Slid Dark but it's Red & Blue.

spodoc
07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
All the claims of super battery and uber high clocks are just that...claims.

+1 to that. Some roms may have terrible life due to things like race condition or other poor management of resources. But claims that your phone can now get double what it did on stock... that's just silly. The radio and screen are still the biggest drains. A rom will not make the leds more efficient ( although some allow for a lowered setting ). I think people that see these massive improvements either had horrible setups before or just leave the thing idle all day. But the awesome thing is that many people are super happy after flashing certain roms so how cool is that?

DroidxJ
07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
But the awesome thing is that many people are super happy after flashing certain roms so how cool is that?

Right on...its what makes YOU happy is all that really counts.

DroidxJ
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
But the awesome thing is that many people are super happy after flashing certain roms so how cool is that?

Right on...its what makes YOU happy is all that really counts.

justifi
07-26-2011, 10:45 PM
I confuse easily. I guess I reflect back on the evolution and then see a new person post a thread like the op has done here and my kneejerk reaction is to think they can't handle it and will be asking the RS to unbrick them.

Op, sorry of I assumed that about you. Flash away.

LOL. I'm still reading. Maybe this weekend, I will start experimenting. I'm slowly coming around. I am the OP of "beware newbies of rooted GB". I am now of course on rooted GB. Between using a mac, partial downloads, doing battery pulls during said downloading, having my droid boot up in the equivalence of DOS while unable to retain a battery charge was a real learning experience.

I'm like a new swimmer who has swum in water over their head. I panicked, took in water, and nearly drowned. It was so bad, I had to get mouth to mouth from verizon by doing a clean install. They gave me OTA gingerbread, that crashed several times a day. After 2 weeks, I was ready to try again.

This time I relied on the forums for help the moment, things started to get shaky. The second time wasn't completely smooth but I was able go into the deep side of the pool, return to the shallows with guidance as opposed to verizon hauling me out.

So you weren't completely wrong. One might say that you have good instincts. (smiling) I sbf back to froyo using the linux boot method and flashed the 2 part zip. I was able to reinstall my a backup from clockwork. I'm just not terribly confident. AKA Got No Swagger, but willing to roll...Slooooowly

aramiscrimson
07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Jump off the high dive already nothing but great swimming ahead. And help to the shallow end is always here

kochoid
07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
also, youtube is a good resource on rom reviews and install process. It is one thing to read how to do it, but another thing all together when you see it done. i watched lots of vids on youtube before i flashed my first rom.

and btw, roms pretty much are just redecorated menus and pull down bars. it is still a phone and does all that it did before--assuming not bugs. but, having a new, different look and feel is nice from time to time. some days, i'll restore nandroids of 3 or 4 different roms just for grins.

edit: when a new rom boots for the first time it takes 2-3 minutes, so don't freak out and pull battery when/if boon anim loops. i made that rook mistake once...

da bolts.

JNEHAMA
07-28-2011, 09:11 PM
OP, roms can give you alot, but you are correct that it's a trade off. For example, a rom like Apex for gingerbread has removed most but not all of what motorola adds to the operating system also referred to as "blur". What you gain is a smoother running phone with less force closing, or random reboots. It also will automatically deodex your OS if you are not already and allow theming. What you loose is the blur contacts with the alphabet, the ability to use HDMI because it needs blur etc. Some components can be added back, others not. Each rom depending on how it is coded will have its own pluses and minuses. You need to know what features are absolutely essential for how you use your phone and look for a rom that meets it. I personally had a great experience with Apex Gingerbread RC2, but I don't know how it works for people who need multiple email accounts etc, but you can research it, and you would not need to go to froyo.

In addition to roms there are system tweaks which can improve the functioning of your phone irrespective of rom. Many of us are using Zeppelinrox V6_SuperCharger_for_Android. It helps the phone manage memory better and most of us saw immediate improvement in things like scrolling, loading apps, multitasking etc. You might want to read up on that as well. In any case if you do plan to modify, have a current backup, allways start with a full charge, and be prepared to sbf if all else fails. (And I mean froyo sbf. There is an sbf file for gingerbread floating around the forums, but it is unrootable). Good luck. Here's some resources to get you started.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/148268-script-v6-supercharger-htk-bulletproof-launchers-fix-memory-all-androids.html

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/apex/30186-rom-apex-v2-0-0-release-candidate-rc2-6-11-2011-a.html

justifi
07-29-2011, 11:58 PM
OP, roms can give you alot, but you are correct that it's a trade off. For example, a rom like Apex for gingerbread has removed most but not all of what motorola adds to the operating system also referred to as "blur". What you gain is a smoother running phone with less force closing, or random reboots. It also will automatically deodex your OS if you are not already and allow theming. What you loose is the blur contacts with the alphabet, the ability to use HDMI because it needs blur etc. Some components can be added back, others not. Each rom depending on how it is coded will have its own pluses and minuses. You need to know what features are absolutely essential for how you use your phone and look for a rom that meets it. I personally had a great experience with Apex Gingerbread RC2, but I don't know how it works for people who need multiple email accounts etc, but you can research it, and you would not need to go to froyo.

In addition to roms there are system tweaks which can improve the functioning of your phone irrespective of rom. Many of us are using Zeppelinrox V6_SuperCharger_for_Android. It helps the phone manage memory better and most of us saw immediate improvement in things like scrolling, loading apps, multitasking etc. You might want to read up on that as well. In any case if you do plan to modify, have a current backup, allways start with a full charge, and be prepared to sbf if all else fails. (And I mean froyo sbf. There is an sbf file for gingerbread floating around the forums, but it is unrootable). Good luck. Here's some resources to get you started.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/148268-script-v6-supercharger-htk-bulletproof-launchers-fix-memory-all-androids.html

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/apex/30186-rom-apex-v2-0-0-release-candidate-rc2-6-11-2011-a.html

You have great communication skills! You speak in specifics which is very helpful. I checked out your recommended links. The second link which appears to be about helpful utilities. It also seems like I could get myself into some murky waters. I will have to go over it a few times. The last time I tried using the emulator with a script that was posted by someone on xda, I almost ran a script that could have temporarily bricked my phone. I would bet the you have tested your suggestions. I do suspect that whenever one runs a script with an emulator or the like, that great care is required because an error could get me in a hole. I will give it a go on Sunday, which is my day for possible bricking activities.

The apex rom seems like something fairly simple to try with out a lot of margin for error. Here are the steps in the order, I think I should go.

1) backup my system with clockwork so that I can flash back to my system prior to installing the apex rom.

2) Find a download site for apex and then save it to my SD card. I think, I should be able find it at xda or droid life

3) Use droid 2 bootstrap to get into clockwork recovery. Do a system reset. Clear my cache. Install apex from SD.

4) If I don't like it, go back into recovery, system reset, clear cache, and reinstall my backup from step one.

Did I miss anything? I need gmail, my exchange server email account, and exchange server calender to sync with my droid x calender. Is there a patch for the HDMI? How about tethering? Is apex a complete rom or is it beta? What is most attractive to me, is that I don't have to SBF back to froyo and back.

Thank You

P.S. Is it possible just to keep a copy of froyo and rooted gingerbread on my SD card. This way I can bounce between them without having to use my linux bootable CD to SBF back to froyo or .596? I don't use the RSD Lite

The Thrill
07-30-2011, 12:28 AM

Rock'n Darkslide X

Yes roms are for show as well as performance. And tribals nice Lamborghini...

*Sent from The Thrill's X*

JNEHAMA
07-30-2011, 12:43 PM
You have great communication skills! You speak in specifics which is very helpful. I checked out your recommended links. The second link which appears to be about helpful utilities. It also seems like I could get myself into some murky waters. I will have to go over it a few times. The last time I tried using the emulator with a script that was posted by someone on xda, I almost ran a script that could have temporarily bricked my phone. I would bet the you have tested your suggestions. I do suspect that whenever one runs a script with an emulator or the like, that great care is required because an error could get me in a hole. I will give it a go on Sunday, which is my day for possible bricking activities.

The apex rom seems like something fairly simple to try with out a lot of margin for error. Here are the steps in the order, I think I should go.

1) backup my system with clockwork so that I can flash back to my system prior to installing the apex rom.

2) Find a download site for apex and then save it to my SD card. I think, I should be able find it at xda or droid life

3) Use droid 2 bootstrap to get into clockwork recovery. Do a system reset. Clear my cache. Install apex from SD.

4) If I don't like it, go back into recovery, system reset, clear cache, and reinstall my backup from step one.

Did I miss anything? I need gmail, my exchange server email account, and exchange server calender to sync with my droid x calender. Is there a patch for the HDMI? How about tethering? Is apex a complete rom or is it beta? What is most attractive to me, is that I don't have to SBF back to froyo and back.

Thank You

P.S. Is it possible just to keep a copy of froyo and rooted gingerbread on my SD card. This way I can bounce between them without having to use my linux bootable CD to SBF back to froyo or .596? I don't use the RSD Lite

Apex is a release candidate, second version thus RC2. That is a stable version post beta but may have some additional changes. It was very stable when I was on it. I think that email should not be an issue, but HDMI is not likely because he has stripped most blur from the operating system and HDMI requires it. I know that he has his ROM posted here on DXF. Check under gingerbread forum/gingerbread roms. I believe the thread is stickied so it should be easy to find. Go to the opening post for download links and any instructions specific to that rom.

Your outline for flashing a rom is correct. I usually also do a dalvick cache wipe which you find under advanced in bootstrap menu. It makes the initial bootup longer (upto 5 minutes), but I find it helps to have a cleaner install. Also since I have charged my battery upto 100% before flashing I usually wipe battery stats while I'm in advanced. That simply resets your battery and it seems to help with batter life especially if you let your phone run down to off, the first time and then do a full charge with the phone off. That's essentially a battery calibration and it saves time if you start it while flashing the ROM.

Theoretically, you should be able to go back and forth between nandroids, of Apex and Rooted Gingerbread. I did it for awhile between liberty and apex, when I couldn't decide which I liked better. I did find though that on gingerbread nandroids are not as reliable as on froyo so make sure you have several backups just in case.

As to supercharger, it sounds more complicated than it is. The easiest way to try it is to use Scriptmanager from the market and not the terminal emulator. I'd be glad to help out with that once you're rommed. After you flash Apex, you will need to sign back into Google and then under settings/accounts click on your gmail account and make sure you check off the sync boxes. Then most of the time the market will restore most of your apps. Make sure though you have a current backup of all your user apps and user application data in titanium. That way you can restore any apps the market omits and restore data only to the ones that are automatically downloaded. Then it's up to you to set things up the way you like them. There are also a number of themes available but set it up first and make a backup before theming.

Good luck, it's really not so hard once you've done it once and remember the three most important rules:

Fully charged battery

Current backups via bootstrap & titanium

Have access to a computer with capacity to SBF just in case.

JNEHAMA
07-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Here's a Screenshot from the DXF application for the Apex rom. It is under forum /gingerbread forum /hacking/roms/apex.

justifi
08-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Here's a Screenshot from the DXF application for the Apex rom. It is under forum /gingerbread forum /hacking/roms/apex.

Hello Jnehama,

Will apex work with sync with my exchange server at work and my gmail account? If it can, I'm ready to give it a go.

JNEHAMA
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Hello Jnehama,

Will apex work with sync with my exchange server at work and my gmail account? If it can, I'm ready to give it a go.

Unfortunately that's the one thing I'm not sure about as I don't use exchange. Try posting the question on the Apex main thread. Lots of people have work email with exchange. Someone will know over there and I'll keep an eye over here for install issues. Good luck.

justifi
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately that's the one thing I'm not sure about as I don't use exchange. Try posting the question on the Apex main thread. Lots of people have work email with exchange. Someone will know over there and I'll keep an eye over here for install issues. Good luck.

Your terrific! I posted it there first, but I haven't had any responses. You have been very helpful. I was going to PM you, but if you knew the answer, it's better to share.

JNEHAMA
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Your terrific! I posted it there first, but I haven't had any responses. You have been very helpful. I was going to PM you, but if you knew the answer, it's better to share.

Sorry that I don't have the answer for you. When I get a chance later tonight I'll browse around and see if I can find out. I'll post it here if I come up with anything.

JNEHAMA
08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
@justifi

I see you got a good answer on the other thread! I'll follow here for install issues. But just a warning going to bed soon! Feel free to pm if you want.

aramiscrimson
08-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I will watch the thread in case no one is here to help you.. I have flashed every rom I have seen and sbfd numerous times

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

justifi
08-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I will watch the thread in case no one is here to help you.. I have flashed every rom I have seen and sbfd numerous times

Your both soo sweet and generous.
Thank You.

aramiscrimson
08-02-2011, 05:19 AM
Did it work?

spodoc
08-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Hello Jnehama,

Yes it will. Apex 1.3 will do it like stock. Apex 1.4 will block certain common exchange permissions to control your phone such as the exchange admins forcing you to pin lock your phone. There is no Los of functionality on the user's end. This holds true for liberty 1.5 and 2.0. The dev, kejar, did something to email.apk to block that.

Finally apex 1.4 is confusing because dev left in the blur-based accounts setup thing that pops up on start up. This is confusing because by default the blur- based universal inbox in not activated. By default the AOSP email is what you have.

justifi
08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes it will. Apex 1.3 will do it like stock. Apex 1.4 will block certain common exchange permissions to control your phone such as the exchange admins forcing you to pin lock your phone. There is no Los of functionality on the user's end. This holds true for liberty 1.5 and 2.0. The dev, kejar, did something to email.apk to block that.

Finally apex 1.4 is confusing because dev left in the blur-based accounts setup thing that pops up on start up. This is confusing because by default the blur- based universal inbox in not activated. By default the AOSP email is what you have.

Thank you. Apex has an exchange server app. I took the plunge! I'm on apex. The only major system difference, seems to be memory, unless I'm missing something. Most of the difference so far seems to be visual. Do developers of roms have faqs, how toos, or video tours? It would be helpful. Who does the most thorough video tutorials or reviews of roms? What other GB roms should I try? Is it true that I don't have to SBf GB roms?

JNEHAMA
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank you. Apex has an exchange server app. I took the plunge! I'm on apex. The only major system difference, seems to be memory, unless I'm missing something. Most of the difference so far seems to be visual. Do developers of roms have faqs, how toos, or video tours? It would be helpful. Who does the most thorough video tutorials or reviews of roms? What other GB roms should I try? Is it true that I don't have to SBf GB roms?

Usually, if you search the rom on you tube there are video reviews. Usually though trying them out is the best way to find out which works best on your phone. The same with some of the tweaks like supercharging and imoseyons sysctl.conf changes.

The roms can look the same (you can make them look identical with themes, launcher, wallpaper) but function differently because of what the coding does under the hood. For my phone on stock gingerbread and even liberty, I would get reboots a few times a day, on Apex it was smooth sailing.

You do not have to sbf for gingerbread roms. Just backup and data, cache clear. Unfortunately with the arrival of init2 roms there has been less development for stock gingerbread, but there are several you could try, like liberty and zombie stomped. I would suggest you set your phone up and live with it for at least a week or two before deciding whether you like it or not. If you have any redraw on your launcher there is an easy build.prop change that works well if you don't want to try supercharging. Oh and liberty tool box has been redone to work on most roms. There are tweaks you can use on it. Check out the free one. Hope you enjoy your new rom.