PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread is terrible any fixes or suggestions

bbbryan24
07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I have a non rooted DX and ever since the gingerbread update it's gone back to the stoneage.

Three major problems:

1) It's incredibly laggy moving from home screen to home screen and when I open the app drawer it will take 5 to 10 seconds to load the apps and their icons, then another 5 seconds to try and open the app.

2) When trying to make a call it takes 5 to 10 seconds after pressing the phone icon to actually try and make the call.

3) I'll receive the same text messages two and three times, yesterday I actually got one six times. The sender texts the first one but then they keep repeating for some reason. It seems to be more frequent with friends who are not on the verizon network.

I tried clearing the cache which did nothing.

I really don't want to do a factory reset because I've heard mixed reviews on it actually working.

I red somewhere that removing the SD card helps, anyone have success trying that?

Anyone having similiar issues?

I'm open to any suggestions.

THanks

ryant35
07-24-2011, 02:15 PM
SBF back to Froyo and installed one of the pre-rooted leaked versions of GB or a GB rom.

The developers have made GB much more usable than the stock OTA version. I've been on the leaked versions since the first where released a few months ago and I've had almost no issues, and when I do the developers update and correct them a lot quicker than the OTA will get fixed.

macpro88
07-24-2011, 02:51 PM
If you don't wanna mess with root, there is an OTA that should be pushing out soon that should fix some of these issues. Not sure when exactly.

Usually a hard factory reset will fix some of these issues.... stinks I know... stupid smartphones...

DieselD
07-24-2011, 04:20 PM
I have the same problems. My phone was great before the update and now its a total pos with the gingerbread version. I am not getting multiple texts received but my phone will do it with outbound messages. Also texting is pretty much useless now as everytime I try and text either I cant see the keyboard, laggy as hell or every other letter input the keyboard goes away. I have pulled battery, rebooted, yada yada yada and nothing helps. Right off the bat my contact list got jacked as anything with a date is now jibberish. I lost tons of info on birthdays, anniversary's etc. If there is not a fix in the next couple days I am going to scrap this pos phone and go to something else. I shouldnt have to do hard resets, rooting, computer hacker stuff. I just want my phone to work damit, is that too much to ask????

I do like my DX when it used to operate correctly but honestly I am about to give up on it and android OS all together I am so pissed off at this mess.....

Mmasupafan
07-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Are u all rebooting phone every 24 hrs? Found lot of ppl don't but really helps the phone out....also if your going to master reset your phone and not rooted highly suggest a home replacement like go launcher ex is what I used...after reset much easier to get back way u had it if u back up your home screen configuration....

DieselD
07-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Yes I reboot my phone daily and sometimes several times a day depending on the problems at hand. It takes care of some issues but they typically return shortly after. I could be here all day making a list of the issues I have with it on a day to day basis. I think I spend more time trying to figure out how to fix it then actually getting to use it as desired.

savagerun
07-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I can feel your pain my friend i ended up sbfing back to froyo and rooting and here im staying without issues. I know you just want a phone that works like its supposed to without having to waste your time messing with it. You don't have to root it if you don't want but getting back to froyo isn't too much trouble.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TimX
07-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Stock HOME was horrible for me, but since switching to GO Launcher EX my non rooted phone's been great

bbbryan24
07-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I am using GO Launcher and originally thought that was the issue but it's not helping my GB problems at all.

Can someone explain how to go back to Froyo and get a rooted version of GB?

Thanks for all the replys.

ryant35
07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I am using GO Launcher and originally thought that was the issue but it's not helping my GB problems at all.

Can someone explain how to go back to Froyo and get a rooted version of GB?

Thanks for all the replys.

Check out this thread and the links at the bottom of the first post to SBF back to Froyo:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Then root your phone with Z4Root (Google search for the apk file) and install Droid 2 Bootstrap to flash the Gingerbread zip files.
Then pick on of the 6 current roms for Gingerbread. I liked Cyanogenmod but now I prefer Justice (in the team liberty sub forum)
Gingerbread Development and Hacking (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/)

Read up in these threads and see which one will work the best for you.

shawncooke1
07-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Don't know if this will help, but here goes. Im on a stock DX1 with OTA Gingerbread update. My biggest complaint was the laggy keyboard entry. I had turned off haptic feed back thinking that would help. Not a chance. Then I found in message options, I think, vibration when keys are pushed. I turned it off and its amazing the difference. My phone will still lag from time to time on the switching of apps, but to me it doesn't seem as bad. I know so many phones act soooo different, but maybe give it a try. Good luck!

bbbryan24
07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice, hopefully one will do the trick.