PDA

View Full Version : What is the most stable rom? ( Pros & Cons)

justifi
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Ok, I think I'm ready to try a rom. I am currently on rooted gingerbread 2 part method. I learned how to SBF using the easy linux sbf. I use my droid x heavily for work, I need to try something stable.

I would like to avoid a rom, that trades off any functionality of rooted gingerbread or how my phones functions. Hence, hearing the cons are very important . If all I'm doing is changing the curtains, the ones I have now can stay. I'm interested in a rom that is better than what I have now!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

spodoc
07-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I would like to avoid a rom, that trades off any functionality of rooted gingerbread or how my phones functions.

Many/most roms will have stock things here and there stripped out but you usually can add them back in. What one person thinks is a loss of function another thinks is a gain. Take the universal inbox for example. AOSP roms don't have the blur inbox. If you don't know how to set up yahoo email with the correct servers using the AOSP email then you will think that's a loss of function. The blur email sets up servers for you. For me, I can argue that the AOSP email client has more function due to the exposed outbox and reduction in clogging. Others will argue the merits of the primative search that blur email has and that AOSP lacks. I will argue that the blocking of exchange permissions that kejar built into liberty email is a HUGE improvement in function but my IT guy will probably argue the opposite :)

What I am an advocate of then is YOU deciding what's best. For me, I found rubix 2 w/ liberty email and keyboard to be the most functional. But that's froyo and you like GB.

spodoc
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
In general if you are worried about full function and stability, the cm rom and its derivatives (eg ssx, justice, etc) are probably too "beta" for you if stability is what you crave. Some claim wild success with certain nightlies while others just have a horrible time. I think the various starting locations (eg monster vs sbf) are creating a diverse set of situations. The gb rom scene us way more complex now compared to what we had last fall with froyo roms.

Good luck extracting anything useful from my posts.

justifi
07-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Many/most roms will have stock things here and there stripped out but you usually can add them back in. What one person thinks is a loss of function another thinks is a gain. Take the universal inbox for example. AOSP roms don't have the blur inbox. If you don't know how to set up yahoo email with the correct servers using the AOSP email then you will think that's a loss of function. The blur email sets up servers for you. For me, I can argue that the AOSP email client has more function due to the exposed outbox and reduction in clogging. Others will argue the merits of the primative search that blur email has and that AOSP lacks. I will argue that the blocking of exchange permissions that kejar built into liberty email is a HUGE improvement in function but my IT guy will probably argue the opposite :)

What I am an advocate of then is YOU deciding what's best. For me, I found rubix 2 w/ liberty email and keyboard to be the most functional. But that's froyo and you like GB.

I have to have the exchange server for work. If a flashing a rom could jeopardize my ability to do my work, this might have to wait for a day off.

justifi
07-19-2011, 08:27 PM
In general if you are worried about full function and stability, the cm rom and its derivatives (eg ssx, justice, etc) are probably too "beta" for you if stability is what you crave. Some claim wild success with certain nightlies while others just have a horrible time. I think the various starting locations (eg monster vs sbf) are creating a diverse set of situations. The gb rom scene us way more complex now compared to what we had last fall with froyo roms.

Good luck extracting anything useful from my posts.

I certainly appreciate whatever you have too say. It's certainly, more than I know. Is there a place that reviews roms? Like facts? This rom does or doesn't do this or that. Reading every thread on every rom would be daunting.

Getsome122
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Running AOSP Liberty since it came out and its stable as can be. Fast and smooth.

Only thing you lose is the HDMI port and that is not an issue for most people...

Transmitted from my Droid X using tapatalk.... AOSP Liberty ROM.....
If I have to explain you probably wouldn't understand anyway......
twitter: Getsome_122

justifi
07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Running AOSP Liberty since it came out and its stable as can be. Fast and smooth.

Only thing you lose is the HDMI port and that is not an issue for most people...

Transmitted from my Droid X using tapatalk.... AOSP Liberty ROM.....
If I have to explain you probably wouldn't understand anyway......
twitter: Getsome_122

Can you share some specific examples of what you like about Liberty? Fast and smooth are subjective in most cases. What exactly makes this better, than froyo or gingerbread?

abqnm
07-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Most stable in my opinion was stock froyo. Not the fastest or smoothest, but definitely the least issues with it. Here is my list of perceived stability from experience:

1. Stock froyo 2.2.1 (340)
2. ApeX 1.4.1
3. ApeX 2.0
4. Liberty (froyo, I forget the version number - the last one)
5. GB leak 591
6. CM7 (some random reboots once in a while)
7. SSX (unless you want to edit the build.prop, as that seems to cause the settings menu to require reboots after changing anything)
8. LiquidGB (reboots and freezes a lot on my device just like what happens when I use imoseyon tweaks or V6 supercharger)
9. Stock 596 GB (reboots all the time plus it is pretty buggy and slow)

There are others I have tried, but not used long enough to give an opinion.

spodoc
07-20-2011, 05:34 AM
If we are talking froyo then apex 1.3 was the best beginner rom. It is stable and has all the blur.

akeezy
07-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I've ran all roms besides liberty gb and broodcomb 2 was the best for me. It ran on 588 gingerbread. I'm on liquid now but sometimes I think about going back

justifi
07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Most stable in my opinion was stock froyo. Not the fastest or smoothest, but definitely the least issues with it. Here is my list of perceived stability from experience:

1. Stock froyo 2.2.1 (340)
2. ApeX 1.4.1
3. ApeX 2.0
4. Liberty (froyo, I forget the version number - the last one)
5. GB leak 591
6. CM7 (some random reboots once in a while)
7. SSX (unless you want to edit the build.prop, as that seems to cause the settings menu to require reboots after changing anything)
8. LiquidGB (reboots and freezes a lot on my device just like what happens when I use imoseyon tweaks or V6 supercharger)
9. Stock 596 GB (reboots all the time plus it is pretty buggy and slow)

There are others I have tried, but not used long enough to give an opinion.

It appears to me from what I have read, that CM7 & SSX seems less troublesome. Having said that, I don't really know anything about them. I can tell you what I like about .596 G.B.

I like the app groups and my choice of buttons. I wouldn't mind a few more. I love titanium back up. I like that it doesn't crash as much as stock gingerbread. I mostly use my droid x for calls, emails, reading ebooks, and various forums. I have a bunch of regular apps like mint.com, train schedules, maps,etc.

I would like the wireless tether function, download movies from google (don't rent videos frequently enough for it to be worth a netflix membership), and download utube videos.

There might be other things I would like, I just don't know the possibilities.

Do rom reviews exist? Where do I go for detailed information?

Thank You

justifi
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I've ran all roms besides liberty gb and broodcomb 2 was the best for me. It ran on 588 gingerbread. I'm on liquid now but sometimes I think about going back

What specifically do you like about liberty gb & broodcomb 2 ?

killhog
07-20-2011, 09:38 PM
From what iv seen liberty 2.0.1 is the most stable. Never a problem with it here

akeezy
07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
What specifically do you like about liberty gb & broodcomb 2 ?

I didn't run liberty. What I liked about broodcomb tho was the simplicity of it. It is blur free gingerbread. It was outstandingly fast and performed really well. The battery life was amazing as well. I could go 8 hours with light use of texting and tweeting and be left with about 80% of battery power. Granted battery life varies from phone to phone but the rom certainly helped mine. All this was achieved without over/underclocking or any tweaks beside having the lowest brightness setting.

Snipples007
07-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Liquid X is the smoothest I have ever seen my phone. It is absolutely ridiculous. The battery life for me is great after being properly calibrated. 10-15 hours on average. I'm constantly texting... Like I don't stop texting that entire time. I have Twitter auto-refreshing every 15 minutes, Gmail on auto-sync, I make multiple phone calls during the day, I check Facebook, browse the Internet, browse around on here, check Rootzwiki, listen to music for anywhere between 2-6 hours depending on the day, and maybe watch 30 minutes of Netflix. Stock battery, too.

Customizations are great, phone is fast, battery is best I've ever seen it... I really couldn't ask for more.

spodoc
07-21-2011, 05:57 AM
It appears to me from what I have read, that CM7 & SSX seems less troublesome.

Umm, those require a bit of attention. Things don't work. There are zips to patch things like GPS. You have to install the newest version each night to get the latest fix for things. Sometimes a nightly will be less stable that previous ones. Race condition has been an issue on these roms

I'm not sure the 2nd init route is where I'd go if craving stability. Maybe I'm wrong but beta release software is always for those who want the latest not the most stable.

I'm not downing cm or its derivatives but your title says you want stable and your open says you want functionality. I'd stay away for a month or so.

aramiscrimson
07-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Good advice

Bkdodger
07-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Liquid X is the smoothest I have ever seen my phone. It is absolutely ridiculous. The battery life for me is great after being properly calibrated. 10-15 hours on average. I'm constantly texting... Like I don't stop texting that entire time. I have Twitter auto-refreshing every 15 minutes, Gmail on auto-sync, I make multiple phone calls during the day, I check Facebook, browse the Internet, browse around on here, check Rootzwiki, listen to music for anywhere between 2-6 hours depending on the day, and maybe watch 30 minutes of Netflix. Stock battery, too.

Customizations are great, phone is fast, battery is best I've ever seen it... I really couldn't ask for more.

Snip where have you been bro? I'm very happy with liquid as well. .my battery not as great yet as yours but everything fast and smooth. ..highly recommended. .

Sent from elGato's X..
Flash alert warning!!!!

akeezy
07-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes highly recommended. Liquid doesn't seem beta at all because everything works to the best of my knowledge

HYT1993
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm currently on justice v1 I was debate whether or not to give to give it a shot. Are there any flaws in liquid?

akeezy
07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Justice is a very similar rom to liquid. It just has a few less customizable options. Justice was as good as liquid in my opinion. The only reason I switched back was to mess with some customizations. You're probably fine on justice but it would be fun to go liquid for a few days

HYT1993
07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Alright ill switch to it to try it out. I don't Need to sbf right? Because it a cm7 based?

akeezy
07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
No sbf but you should still factory reset and do cache wipes

HYT1993
07-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Alright how is the battery life with liquid?

akeezy
07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I got almost 14 hours yesterday running imoseyon tweaks. I don't know how much the tweaks helped but I was more than pleased

as_daylight_dies
07-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Justifi: Keep in mind that if you go with a CM7 based ROM (Justice, Liquid, SSX, and CM4DX) you are going to be on very unfamiliar terrain. I would stay away from these roms as starters because they are nothing like stock GB, including the basic stuff you need for work.

I recommend starting off with a blurry ROM such as ZombieStomped or Darkslide. Liberty GB also has some blur but it's mostly stripped out. I hear Darkslide is the best blurry GB ROM.

~Sent from my Droid X - Justice has been served

aramiscrimson
07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I change roms 2 or 3 times a week.running liquid now, but probably back to apex for a theme tomorrow. The 2nd init roms are fairly straight forward to use....not sure what you
Have to have for work but ask the stuff is there our downloadable. The gb roms are great if you don't mind the speed loss, out don't know about it. apex runs great for me no problems. darkslide is another great one. If you know how to sbf and get to .596 try them all.the worst that will happen is you won't like it and have to flash another. Change that, running miui now...gonna try it for a few.days
Sent from a tweaked x.