PDA

View Full Version : [ROM][DX2] MinimalX

c21johnson
07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Droid X2

Minimal X
v. beta 2.0

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9008/screen201107182252.pnghttp://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7648/screen201107182253.pnghttp://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5222/screen201107182301.pnghttp://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9008/screen201107182300.pnghttp://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4159/screen201107182315.png

*Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. I decided to release it publicly due to the lack of current ROMs for users to flash. I expect general feedback based up what is currently in the ROM and what I can do to improve it. For legal reasons, flashing this ROM is based on your own decision, if it causes any mishap with your phone, feel free to message me and I will work with you to fix it, but I am in no way responsible for anything you do.

Not a whole lot of time to type this up -- I plan on editing when I have more time and as the build progresses.

This ROM is mostly debloated. Some bloat is left for general function of the phone. I tried to leave any bloat application that applies function to the phone that is otherwise inaccessible. This makes it an awesome base ROM for anyone who wishes to develop.

There are also many edits to system files such as the build.prop, apks, framework, etc. These edits are mostly performance based enhancements, but there are some visual changes as well. I plan on continuing the theme on this ROM based on user input. I may also consider converting back to stock theme and allowing flashable themes for those who wish to have more options. Themes that have been previously created for the Droid X2 (so far, I believe there are a total of three posted at XDA) should be flashable over top of this ROM, but I am making no guarantees. Also added is a sleep mode (accessed by holding power) which lowers power consumption, and turns off wireless signal -- The device is able to be accessed again by holding power. In general, it allows for maximum battery conservation compared to turning off the device.

TLDR;

Bloat removed
System edits
Framework edits
Much more...

In future updates, I plan on doing what you, the consumer, wants to happen. Firstly, I plan on cooking SuperCharger into the ROM. And hopefully, in the near future, I can figure out how to overclock this beast.

As for performance, this ROM runs great. I average around 3000 in Quadrant and in AnTuTu Benchmark, I average around 4750.

This ROM is optimized for performance, but doesn't lack on functionality. I hope you all can find great use of it and enjoy the work I have done.

Instructions:
Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
Install recovery
Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
Boot into Recovery using the APK
[optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
[optional] Clear Cache
Choose Install .zip from SD
Choose SD card
Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
Confirm install
Reboot once installation is complete
When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than "Moto input method" (explained later)
Enjoy!
I plan on adding more detailed instructions at a later date...

Known issues:

User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn't had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
Charging battery animation is default
Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.
Calendar sync seems to be an issue due to the removal of the Calendar Sync apk by accident in this build. It will be returning. If you wish to restore calendar sync before the update, the two files you will need are: BlurCalendarProvider.apk AND BlurCalendarProvider.odex
Some users are reporting the contacts menu repeatedly opening on random. I do not know the exact cause of this, but it is rare. In the case that it does happen, try wiping data and cache and re-flashing the ROM.

Please let me know of any additional issues you run into!!!

Otherwise, enjoy your DROID X2!

Mirror 1 (http://www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/c21johnson/minx_b2-0.zip)
Mirror 2 (http://www.2shared.com/file/i4AlJDUy/minX_b2-0.html)

For those wanting some /system/app/ items back,
Download Stock Applications (http://www.multiupload.com/GJI2AQQMLS)

This is NOT flashable... yet.
This is a simple .zip that contains all the /system/app/ items in case you wish you restore them. To restore an system, simply unzip the file, move the desired file to your phone/SD. Make sure R/W is enabled, and move the desired files to /system/app/
Hope this helps some in a temporary fix to your problems.

Lastly, I develop for fun, but if you feel it necessary, donate to the cause.
Actually, we could make this into a fun drinking game. My 21st birthday is August 1st. I plan on getting $**t housed all day and all that weekend. If you donate, before August 6th, your donation funds will go strictly towards alcohol. If you donate, feel free to message me with what you wish for me to purchase with that given cash (note: if you want something specific, please donate that specific amount, otherwise, it'll probably go towards some PBR). I'll try to take pictures of the drinks before and after (depending on how wasted I am) and I'll message those who donated, or anyone who requests, with what kind of damage was done. Haha, I have some experience under my belt, so, don't take it easy. This should be fun.

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_LG.gif (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KUCDQUCCQ7LBC)

Happy Android-ing to everyone!

May the Droid X2 prosper!

This post is not subject to perfect grammar; no one really cares. Enjoy the ROM!

macpro88
07-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Awesome! Thanks for posting! I will go ahead and delete my thread I had created for you.

Stick1300
07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
So, dumb question, but what is the blue triangle in the notification bar?

macpro88
07-19-2011, 04:51 PM
So, dumb question, but what is the blue triangle in the notification bar?

A non-activated signal.

On the go, expect short posts ;)

TideFan22
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't have a X2 but man its great to see some devs working on it, and hopefully more to come. I'd like to hear from any DX2 owners who are running this rom to let me know has its going (Running) and stuff

From my Simply Stunning X

c21johnson
07-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Someone requested the stock wallpaper used in this ROM earlier... I'm sorry, I forget what user it was and the post got buried. But here is the wallpaper!

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8372/defaultwallpaper.jpg

I hope you like it!

None of the Widgets are required for me day to day (almost anything can be put back if you look for something similar on the market)) ...... I will definitely be donating..... I also plan to do basically the same thing Droidmodderx does on YouTube with the walkthrus and reviews as soon as I get free time.... I will be including this in one of my first videos :) hopefully it will also generate some donations for you

X2R
That was my thoughts when creating the ROM. If it wasn't able to be achieved by side-loaded Android Market applications, then it was more likely to stay -- given it wasn't completely worthless to the ROM or users. Unfortunately, some things, such as BlurCalendarSync were removed on accident, but in future updates, they will be replaced. I'm also looking toward getting a few AOSP applications to replace ones on the phone now. Hopefully this will add to the user experience and increase performance.

Once that video is posted, please link it here, and also message it to me. I will be sure to update my original post with it! :) Also, if you would like to message me your YouTube channel, I will sub, view, and like your videos!

Again, thank you very much for the support and feedback!

flashed without wiping data or cache and its working great so far. I have noticed the search button isn't working but it works on a long press.
Also thank you so much for making this rom!!

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you had success without wiping. It has already been reported about the search button. It is due to the removal of GoogleQuickSearch from the system. It will be replaced with the next update. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Ok so after I recovered back to stock rom, I backed up all my contacts to google. I also testdrove a ton of calendar apps and the only one I found to work for me was Jorte. Wiped cache and flashed the rom and couldn't be happier now! Running my minimalist theme with launcher 7 and it is fast and beautiful!

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Good to hear! So, I'm assuming your themes have flashed over flawlessly? If you would like, I would love to add a section of my original post dedicated to you and your themes. I will give full credit, of course. Appearance is a big thing in the consumer world, and I would like all users to be able to use a theme that is pleasing to them.

is the bootstrapper .apk included in the rom so we still have access to the recovery

Unfortunately, no. I'm not really sure what I was thinking not including this in the build. I was just excited to finally achieve a stable build and released it with a few things missing. Thanks for pointing this out. It will most definitely be added in an update.

Like to have have google search and google + bar merged all I want off of google search is the mic for voice search. I would also like to see recovery left in and wireless tether with infrastructure mode. Keep it up and I will donate more. Power controls in the notification drop down would be sweet too.

Thank you for the feedback. I will do all I can to fulfill these requests as they are very good ideas. They are more difficult tasks to achieve, but I will most definitely be working vigorously to accomplish them and get them into a future update. Also, thanks for the donation, it is greatly appreciated.

Just in case anyone was looking for the Froyo Google Talk app:

Google Talk Download (http:megaupload.com/?d=RYQ5AA9G)

Apparently, it was also considered "bloat"?

Thanks for posting this.

Anyones else'sback key not work

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

Ew, this is no good. I had never experienced this, but will look into it for you.

Could other users please test their back button and post the results? Thank you!

"My backup root" backs up messages and call logs. "Super manager" backs up apks to your sd card, as well as a bunch of other things. Both free - as an alternative to titanium.

Sent from my LGB v0.9 Gingercomb Juiced DROID2

Thank you for posting these free applications. I was unaware with them. When I get time to update the original post, I will be sure to include them with direct links to the market.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wish you all a good morning/afternoon/evening/night -- which ever it may be.

EDIT:

Before I go to bed, I'd like to share my experience fishing today...

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1812/minxbassmaster.jpg

richgangsta41
07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Quick question.. just downloaded your rom. Love it... how to I update my rom?? And why doesn't my google account sync my calender??

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

macpro88
07-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Quick question.. just downloaded your rom. Love it... how to I update my rom?? And why doesn't my google account sync my calender??

Make sure that Calendar is checked under My Accounts to sync it.

What do you mean update? When he releases an update, you'll have to download it, and install via custom recovery just like you did the initial ROM.

c21johnson
07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Make sure that Calendar is checked under My Accounts to sync it.

What do you mean update? When he releases an update, you'll have to download it, and install via custom recovery just like you did the initial ROM.

Thanks for covering this. As for sync though, in this build, BlurCalendarSync was accidentally removed. If necessary, you can download it from the link on the original post. You will have yo manually install it, but it should work. Sorry for the inconvenience, but that.ks for trying out the rom!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

richgangsta41
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
My battery indicator says I have 100 percent. But my power widget says I have 80 percent. Why??

c21johnson
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
My battery indicator says I have 100 percent. But my power widget says I have 80 percent. Why??

Before doing this, charge your device to full.
Boot into recovery, under advanced there should be a clear battery cache option... or something similar. Choose that option. Now reboot the phone and your readings should be accurate.

Also, to sustain the best battery life, continue to use the phone until it completely dies, then plug it in and charge it to approximately 50% before powering it on.

Hope this helps with your problem. If it does not, please inform me and I'll look into further details.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

macpro88
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
To calibrate the battery, use the free app from the Market: "Battery Calibration." https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result

To calibrate via custom recovery:
-Charge phone to 100%, boot into custom recovery, under advanced, choose "Wipe battery stats."
-Reboot, run your battery to the ground till it dies!
-Place on charger, and charge with phone off till 100%!
-Rinse and repeat one more time (or use that free app above ;))

Exoskull
07-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I am clueless on how to install this rom. i have never done it before. can i have some detailed instructions please? what is this "install recovery"??? im rooted, im supercharged, im not a complete dummy but i dont understand these instructions. help please? :D I really want to try this rom out!

macpro88
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I am clueless on how to install this rom. i have never done it before. can i have some detailed instructions please? what is this "install recovery"??? im rooted, im supercharged, im not a complete dummy but i dont understand these instructions. help please? :D I really want to try this rom out!

Check out the hacks section on how to install the custom recovery of which you need to use to install this rom.

Once you have custom recovery, follow instructions on how to enter into custom recovery, once you are able to enter into custom recovery, you can then download the files for this ROM, place on your SD card, and reboot into that custom recovery, then you can install it per the instructions give here.

Exoskull
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Check out the hacks section on how to install the custom recovery of which you need to use to install this rom.

Once you have custom recovery, follow instructions on how to enter into custom recovery, once you are able to enter into custom recovery, you can then download the files for this ROM, place on your SD card, and reboot into that custom recovery, then you can install it per the instructions give here.

thanks so much for the quick reply! i will try it right now

Exoskull
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I dont want to be annoying, but i went to the hacks forum and found the recovery thread and it sent me to another forum and im stuck again. lol >.< im sorry

edit: nvm, got the bootstrapper which is also the custom recovery... o.o

followed instructions, rebooted, works as good as new... err, much better than new. :D

richgangsta41
07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
So I downloaded the dx2 zip for the applications to be put back on, now what do I do?

Exoskull
07-20-2011, 06:22 PM
You need custom recovery read above posts

richgangsta41
07-20-2011, 06:23 PM
How will I know when the update will be here?

sammywilson
07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I installed MinimalX yesterday afternoon and so far I have been very pleased with both the look and performance of this ROM. A few minor issues....the stock Calender and the stock Alarm and Timer have disappeared. My guess is they were part of the bloatware removal? I haven't had a chance to download the stock app pack yet, so they may be in there.
Because I couldn't find the stock alarm app, I downloaded Alarm Clock Plus from the Android Market to wake me up for work this morning. The alarm went off, but didn't play any audio....it only vibrated. I checked all my sound settings, and everything was set properly. Any ideas on why this might have happened?

Thanks to the developer for the work on this ROM.

c21johnson
07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I installed MinimalX yesterday afternoon and so far I have been very pleased with both the look and performance of this ROM. A few minor issues....the stock Calender and the stock Alarm and Timer have disappeared. My guess is they were part of the bloatware removal? I haven't had a chance to download the stock app pack yet, so they may be in there.
Because I couldn't find the stock alarm app, I downloaded Alarm Clock Plus from the Android Market to wake me up for work this morning. The alarm went off, but didn't play any audio....it only vibrated. I checked all my sound settings, and everything was set properly. Any ideas on why this might have happened?

Thanks to the developer for the work on this ROM.

Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying the ROM so far. Calendar, Timer, and Alarm were all removed, but all apps and their odex files are included in the zip. I plan on deodexing for the next update and releasing a new blur pack based on these. As for the alarm clock not going off, I have a few questions. If I am thinking about the correct application, does Alarm Clock Plus have the feature to play a random audio file? This sometimes is faulty. If you don't mind doing a test for me, select a specific audio file, set it to go off in a few minutes from the current time and see if it goes off (with audio). If it does not, I will definitely be looking deeper to find the root cause. Thanks for the feedback, hope everyone is having a great day! Only one more day till Friday!

kevmex1989
07-21-2011, 05:20 PM
how to you enable this ?

wesfree
07-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Love the rom. I've been using it for three days now and the only problem I've had with it is my skyfire browser will open or this 2065920659 will open when I press the home key. Anybody else have this problem?

firefighterguy
07-22-2011, 09:30 AM
01 Aug birthday, huh? Mine's 04 Aug. ALL HALE TO THE LEOS, BROTHER! Lol.

I have an issue. A rather minor one. But at the same time kind of big (for me). And sammywilson already posted the same issue before me. But I downloaded the zip and extracted the alarm and tasks (as well as the odex files and R/W was enabled). I rebooted and they are nowhere to be found in the app drawer. I went to /system/app and saw them all there still. Tried to install. It goes through the motions and then instead of saying "installed" it says "application not installed." What brain fart am I having to not get them to be available? Do I need to also put it into the "preinstall" folder?

Love the ROM, though. (You think it's safe to NinjaMorph the origional dark blue notification bar?)

*Edit*
Incase it hasn't been covered, I experimented and was able to NinjaMorph the origional look onto this ROM (in other words, I "themed" the ROM). So incase anyone didn't know already, NinjaMorph does work. And I only did the .png's. I wasn't about to go messing around with anything else. Lmao

*Update-
I pulled an alarm apk off an old storage card from my DX from one of many ROM's I flashed on it. That one works fine. Doesn't have a timer, but I have a stopwatch app anyways. I can at least still wake up in the morning. I am going to try to post that apk for anyone interested. Can't guarantee I will be successful, but I will try.

So now I am just trying to get the tasks (not to be confused with the task manager. I am referring to to the blurtasks.apk for jotting down to-do lists and other similar check off type stuff) and the calendar.

"King of the 'Self-Edit'"

sammywilson
07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I tried choosing a specific audio file like you suggested and I'm still not getting any audio on my alarms. Just for poops and chuckles I tried downloading another alarm app (Alarm Clock Xtreme Free) and encountered the same problem. Oddly enough the Kitchen Timer app I downloaded works just ffine

I started to attempt to install the original Alarm and Timer application from the zip file you provided and I realized I'm not sure how to install to my internal card. Do you have a quick how-to for those of us who are relatively new to voiding warranties? ..... Ahem... I mean rooting.

TwistedZxr
07-23-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm having a problem as well. When I installed this, my camera and camcorder was missing and I can't figure out why. Is there anyway I can get it back. Other than that everything looks nice and the new performance is awesome!!

c21johnson
07-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Sorry for leaving everyone in the dark these past few days. I've been trying to find solutions to the majority of the problems with the ROM while also trying to incorporate some extra goodies. So far everything is running stable on this current build. I made some modifications and cleaned up the coding a little bit -- I get messy and careless around 3am. I'm going to test this next boot, and if all goes well, I'm going to grab a few testers for the next 24 hours to find anymore bugs. If nothing major occurs, you can expect a release Monday. If something major does occur, I'll try to fix it and still release Monday. ;)

After this build goes up, I may be away from development and these forums for awhile. I have to work on my final project for my pathophys class and also prepare for our final.

Thanks everyone for the support and the feedback. Hopefully you'll be pleased with this next release.

Good day, C21.

rocquoone
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Works beautifully. A little fumbly on my end with getting thing lined up as a precursor, but once I managed all of that, this was easy.

rocquoone
07-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Install works beautifully. A little fumbly on my end with getting things lined up as a precursor, but once I managed all of that, this was easy.

K, so going a little further into it, I'm finding some bugs. I'll just add to the thread as they come up if that is ok.

First, and a pretty big deal, when I try to open an application thru messaging (gmail or comcast or facebook), clicking the respective icons takes me to the phone's home screen. Unfortunately, the same is also true of clicking on the message notification icons when email comes in. The only way I have found to get into my email is thru the browser.

Second, I accidentally did a factory reset while trying to get this installed. In trying to recover my apps from the app market, but accessing thru a browser rather than the android market portal icon, they are not showing up in the installed applications area. The ones installed via the market portal do show up. My wireless tether program is not available via the market tool, but is available on the website. When I try to download it, it says it is blocked for my carrier. I thought that rooting and a custom rom would let me get around this.

The mail setup menus for both gmail and comcast don't have the functionality to turn off the notification noises. Both seem very stripped down (but i don't remember what else should be there).

More as it happens....

This is not intended as a complaint. I could not do what you did, and I am thankful that folks like you give folks like me options. I was, in a previous life, a software tester.

thanks for making this available. I may go back to the old rom until some of the kinks are worked out, really don't like having to go thru the web browser to get to email. But I look forward to seeing how this develops.

MistaWolfe
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
CJ got called out big time on XDA. Someone ripped apart this ROM and found it to be nothing but the update.zip from China - with 20 some images changed.

Something is fishy... He's went MIA since the post.

EDIT: He's back, and he ain't taking sh*t from nobody. Lol. See the post here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1175243&page=20

I believe him.

firefighterguy
07-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I believe him.

Ditto.

I went back to stock ONLY because I was respectfully waiting for something more stable. But, I thought it was a hell of a ROM already.

CJ did say that he was going to be MIA/AWOL, whatever you want to call it for a while. Finals are a big deal. AND a 21st birthday coming up??? I hope he gets stupid drunk to forget about all this BS for a while.

And I said it before, CJ, we Leos rock the world, dude! You're 01 August, and I am 04 August. Lol. So happy birthday in advance. Ask old school lushes about a "highlander." And see if anyone can mix it for you and enjoy that one. Lol. If no one does, just drink a whisky straight up for me ;-).

I have Scottish heritage and I learned this from some some (typsy) family members: if it is spelled "whiskey," it is the U.S. bourbon whiskey (not real whisky as far as I am concerned) - but if it is spelled "whisky" it is Scottish and somewhere on the bottle it will say "Product of Scotland" (we are the inventors of whisky. Lol.) So, dribk one of those for me, boss. Even if you can only afford the cheap stuff on a student's budget ;-). I understand and I won't be offended - it's the spirit of the thing (you like that play on words? Lmao! )

"King of the 'Self-Edit'"

sammywilson
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Hope your finals are going well. I don't mind waiting a bit for the update if it means you pass your classes. I thought I'd compile a short list of items I'd like to see in the update. From what I see in the forums, I'm not the only one who would like to see some of these items added/returned to your ROM.

Corporate Email (I use my Gmail app for my personal email, and the corporate email for my work. I saw a few other people in the thread who also rely on the Corporate Email app)
Alarm and Timer (It seems that I might be the only person who's having the problem with the Alarm vibrating but not playing audio, I'm not sure if its a problem with the third party Alarm app I downloaded or if its an issue with my phone, but either way I liked the simplicity and advertisement-less of the stock app)
Calender (I've seen a lot on the thread about "calender" and "calender sync" I'm not sure if they rely on each other to work, but I'm terrible with dates, and its nice to just be able to see monthly calender without a widget. My job's calender is on iCal and I'm not sure they are interested in setting it up so it syncs with Android. All of the office staff have company iPhones, but all but one of us warehouse guys have personal Android phones...if they ever decide to set it up so we can sync I'd like to able to.)
Android Gallery (I haven't heard anyone else talk about this one, but I hate the x2's "blurred" photo gallery. If it is at all possible to replace it entirely with the old school gallery from the other droids, I think it would be a huge improvement. If I'm the only one that thinks this, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm sure there are some other rooters out there who may share my opinion.)
I hope all of us on this thread aren't discouraging you with our incessant *****ing and moaning about what we want with your ROM. I know you can't make everybody happy. That being said, keep up the good work, stay in school, and when you turn 21 stay sober enough to keep coming out with quality stuff.

p.s. I don't give two ****s if your ROM is a "chinese copy" it works on my phone and that's good enough for me. :-)

Blacklabel
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful rom. My Search Button is working fine, Google search works now after installing it again, I have had a problem where I just lost signal and had to restart twice. But it seems it was just stuck in airplane mode. Can't wait for more additions to this.
Great Job and Kudos

Edit: And i agree ^ that the blur gallery needs to be destroyed. The 3d gallery is currently my default but i hate always having to choose it.

glfw1bldegl
08-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Install without wipe and all is well. Thank You for giving us freedom to choose.

tntlassiter
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Is there a ROM that doesn't involve wiping data and such? I play games on my phone and everytime I have to wipe data all my progress is cleared and I have to start all over...just wondering. Thanks for any input!

cory46
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Is there a ROM that doesn't involve wiping data and such? I play games on my phone and everytime I have to wipe data all my progress is cleared and I have to start all over...just wondering. Thanks for any input!

nope, unless you stay stock :) haha you can get by this by using apps such as titanium backup and/or my backup pro i think its called and save the app data and restore it once you get your rom up again

tntlassiter
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
nope, unless you stay stock :) haha you can get by this by using apps such as titanium backup and/or my backup pro i think its called and save the app data and restore it once you get your rom up again

I will give this a try. Thanks for the info cory46!