PDA

View Full Version : CM7 Based Roms Sleep function, battery life..

griz.droidx
07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I hate to beat the battery life thing into the ground, but when I lay my phone down to go to sleep, I put it to sleep too with the power widget notification pulldown thing(a mouthfull). I can't really tell if this is doing anything or not. This morning after a full charge, and at least 2 or 3 calibrations, I am at 79% after 8 hours use, most of which was phone idle and cell standby. Wifi was on too. I just don't get it and I'm sure its just the way it is for now. I must mention here that yesterday evening, i fully charged reset battery stats in CW and got about 5 heavy hours of use I mean heavy use, wifi browsing, package installing, and game playing (I was at a hospital, after I install a bunch of crap that I normally might use, I let my first cousin play games on it (mostly angry birds), for an hour or so and she surfed the web a while. When I was on my way home I got stopped in traffic because of an accident and used/tested gps checking satelite locks(had 8 according to a gps tool). After I got home I used it some more doing this and that adjusting all the CM7 settings I love. I have installed Imoseyon's tweak (may not be necessary) the script said it was working but I never saw any additional governors and can't find any info on how to include them. I also installed the supercharger script and played around with it eventually making launcher hard to kill and using megamemory settings for 512 phones on Version 5 (Six beta is out). I also setup a SMB app to access windows shares. (yay, that is handy dandy).

Do the other CM7 based rom's have the same issue? I mean with sleep? It seems that whether or not I use my phone the battery still drains. I'm not using any kind of battery management app either. I thought about using CPU Tuner I think it is, that has a bunch of built in profiles since its free and I don't have And Overclock. Last night I also used quickclock to lower voltages and overclock.

Just wondering if SSX, Justice, and Liquid all have the same problem with battery drain before I even attempt to use them. I am dying to try Justice (I have Liberty Donate), but if it's based on CM7 I see no reason to unless it adds something cool that I could use. The file size is bigger than cm7 so there must be something in there even if its only graphics. I have read that SSX does include additional tweaks that CM7 doesn't have by default.

Thoughts / Comments anyone???

I know the 596 based non CM7 rom's don't suffer from this kind of battery drain during sleep, or non use, but during heavy use esp with gaming, I can't get much more than 4-5 hours of angry birds play on a 596 rom(No i don't play it that much but others have with my phone). LOL One person actually played A.Birds till the phone shut off and was very hot..

cory46
07-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't see where there is bad battery drain especially if after 8 hours you only lost 21%

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Wrapped
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
My battery drains almost twice as fast on liquid as it did on AOSP Liberty. I love how well the ROM works and how smooth it is. But the battery life makes me ponder flashing back to AOSP Liberty. I've done two calibrations with no change in battery life. It drained 23% in 5 hours just sitting doing nothing. Usually when I go on lunch break I've only lost around 10%. I'm at 63% now after my lunch break. That's around where I'm used to be at on my way home from work.

griz.droidx
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
@ Cory. First thanks for your help in the past, I haven't forgot. But don't you think that 20% in 8 hours of sleep mode is a lot? I mean if I just had it turned on, and left it laying somewhere then the battery shouldn't drain like that. Especially since I don't have any email apps/social media apps installed right now. The standby battery life is whats eating me. Almost any of the 596 roms would lose half that in that amount of time.

@wrapped. CM7 is getting better, I've never used liquid, SSX, or Justice. Battery life is leaps and bounds better that it was on RC0 nightly 1.

And looking at the change log for 32 or 33 there's gonna be a lot of stuff addressed, maybe not specifically for the X, and more than just translation stuff.

ryant35
07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Is there a reason you don't leave your phone on the charger at night instead of loosing 20%?

griz.droidx
07-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Right now I'm testing for daily use. Normally, I would leave it on charge all night long. But I was just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with sleep mode... 20% probably aint that bad, but its more than any 596 would use I think in the same situation, esp the Aosp 596's. Even Zombie and DSX I don't think would use that much just sitting there. I mean, I'm probably gonna stay on CM7 for the foreseeable future, unless my phone blows up. Or I am in a situation where I need the extra super duper standby time.. That's mainly what's bugging me is the standby time and sleep mode. And no one has said much about SSX or Justice and Liquid. How are those roms in the same situation? My guess would be they're identical, and if not perhaps the code they used to fix it should go be upstream. I mean thats how it's supposed to work with Linux right?

akeezy
07-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Check and make sure your phone is actually in sleep mode. Because I have never been able to put these source based roms into sleep mode. It just locks the screen and wakes up as normal

kradebaugh
07-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Is there a reason you don't leave your phone on the charger at night instead of loosing 20%?

No kidding lol

Sent from my Droid X using Droid X Forums

ryant35
07-17-2011, 03:14 PM
No kidding lol

He explained it above, it makes sense.

kradebaugh
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
He explained it above, it makes sense.

Sorry

griz.droidx
07-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Akeezy, I think you're right, it doesn't go into sleep mode, and now that I think about it, I bet it's something to do with how the X gets CM7 in the first place. I mean if we are booting the froyo kernel, then loading gingerbread, that might have something to do with it. Or not.. That might affect a hibernation type feature.. Or not.. I don't know..

@ kradebaugh (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/16495.html), it's cool man.. I know the battery life deal has been beat to death on every thread on every forum. I was more concerned with standby and sleep mode anyway.

At any rate, today I took my phone with me for another trip to the hospital. It was off charge for about 5.5 hours and used about 20%. This is pretty good because I tested the gps / nav functioning with the imoseyon and supercharger tweaks. I also browsed the web quite a bit and kept wireless on the entire time. Again, does anyone know if the sleep function works in any other CM7 based rom?

Battery life is pretty good and on par I think if you are using the phone a lot for calls, email, whatever. Standby or Sleep is where I think it's still hurting a bit. As I said, I'll probably hang around on this rom for a while. It's running awesome, has a ton of features, and I'm not getting any FC's at all. One problem I noticed that I do not have with this rom is the walking while listening to music bug. Every time I've ran CM7, I never get the reboot issue like I did on 596 roms. And this is one reason I bought the phone. For use as a portable mp3 player while mowing, cutting weeds, stuff like that. I don't own any other gadgets. No Ipod, No Navi, No Ereader, Not even a new dvd player that plays divx movies. This is why I got the X back in feb. Right now you can't go wrong with CM7.

Good Night people.. Have a good one... Gotta have my sleep tonight.. Work in the morning.

akeezy
07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Yea it probably is the froyo kernel that is restricting it from entering sleep mode. I'm glad I finally have an answer to that.

It seems as if those imoseyon tweaks are really boosting your battery life. I've tried them but I don't think I was getting the same results. I'll have to try again on liquid now

griz.droidx
07-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Honestly I don't know man if its the Imoseyon tweaks or not. I've read that they do help. But on nightly 30, I was already getting pretty good life during heavy usage. Sounds odd but it's true. I'd sort of like to try the other CM7's out there. I've heard a lot of good things about SSX, about all of them really liquid and justice included. A person could make a Nandroid and backup and restore for testing.. But I'm at the point that I just wanna use my phone a bit.. In all truth I'll probably be flashing something by weeks end.

Shaun
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
The SSX has the same sleep issues as CM7.. Phone Idle and Cell standby are usually high on my battery stats as well.. Usually I lose 10% during a nights sleep, but have seen a loss of 20% as you have already experienced. On a normal day, I can still get 24 hours of battery use on SSX, so I can't complain.. and I was getting about the same battery life on AOSP Liberty as I am with my SSX, but SSX is so much smoother!

griz.droidx
07-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I've read that one guy got 24 hours on ssx, another got 7-8. 10-20% a night is what I was losing with CM7. That's over about an eight hour period. It's not bad.. Thanks for posting about ssx. Would like to try SSX or Liquid, but I already put more time in testing that I do using! It is fun though. Beats the hell out of using a phone with those other os'es.. Especially the Fruity ones.:big smile:

abqnm
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Download CPU Spy from the market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bvalosek.cpuspy. It uses no noticeable resources and will keep track of how much time the phone spends in each CPU level as well as Deep Sleep since the last boot. This way you can see if the phone is actually going into sleep mode or just staying at the lowest CPU frequency when the screen is off.

I did notice that back on nightlies 17 and 18 the phone would not go into Deep Sleep at times, and a reboot would fix it. I skipped from 18 to 25, so I do not know what resolved it, but it hasn't happened since I installed 25.

I do not use the imoseyon tweaks or the supercharger script because they were causing me a LOT of reboots and the phone refusing to wake from sleep mode across different nightlies (and Liquid for that matter). CM7 still reboots once in a while (maybe once every few days), but it is not enough of a bother to go back to a blur based rom.

griz.droidx
07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Crap now I gotta type this all over again.. Firefox 5 crashed and burned.

Abqnm, looks like a great app, best of all it's free. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll definitely make use of it.

Everyone, I'm attaching a couple of recent screenshots still on nightly 30. Battery life is great (can't spell phenominal). Either akeezy is right and the scripts are helping, or Android is learning as it goes how to better manage the battery. Perhaps that's the whole point of a calibration. This is a few days after my last calibration. Not much use as you can see maybe 2-3 short calls and a little internet browsing and online radio via Tuner Pro (a battery muncher), still the life speaks for itself.

akeezy
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
That's outrageous haha. I've never used my phone till it dies so i don't really know how long it lasts. I always just monitor how much power is lost over time. Right now I'm in the process of fully discharging with my usual amount of use. I'm running imoseyon tweaks so I'll post my results

griz.droidx
07-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks man, I'd like to see what you get.. Which rom are you running now? I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I did the Display tweaks right before I went to the hospital, charged on the way, and recalibrated in the parking lot.. LOL. The standby time was what I was trying to fix, and something fixed it. Before, it didn't matter how much or how little I used the phone, my battery was gone in 12 or so hours.

akeezy
07-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Well here it is. Almost 12 hours and left with 26%. That's more than enough for me. I only need my phone to last 4-5 hours at a time and having double that is great for me.

I'm running liquid underclocked to 300 mhz with imoseyon tweaks in place. This is my first full discharge cycle and its not done yet but i'll definitely do it again and see how it turns out

http://tapatalk.com/mu/431490fc-d4b3-5233.jpg

Bkdodger
07-21-2011, 06:48 AM
@akeezy nice bro. Glad to see some good numbers on it...also great to have no issues with this rom.

Sent from elGato's X..
Flash alert warning!!!!

griz.droidx
07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
@Akeezy, looks good man. And it looks like you used your phone quite a bit too..

akeezy
07-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Preesh guys. Yea I use it quite a bit for Facebook, twitter, and email. And Tapatalk is the only way I see these forums. I was surprised actually to have it last this long

zoe
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
a little late but i did notice in the op the bit about leaving the wifi on and didn't see it mentioned in the replies.

if wifi is constantly running then the batt life will be impacted. wifi does use less power than 3g for the same tasks, but 3g is only using batt while active. wifi always running is a big drain for me, but at home i have no recption so 3g would then chew through the battery just searching for a signal. if i put my phone in airplane mode w/o wifi I'd get no notif, emails calls etc... so it's a trade off for my situation

consider this a bump if nothing else

griz.droidx
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
ZOE, I too have to use wifi at home, I barely even get 1x to talk on. 2 bars max. So I keep wifi on all the time at home and usually turn if off during the day while at work.. I've read and heard that 1x data uses even more battery life than 3g. Not sure if this is true, I friend of mine told me years ago, then when he's at home in TN, he gets much better battery life than when he's here due to an analog vs digital signal. Perhaps 1x is still digital not sure about that. My TN friend I really trust on matter like this because he is an EE who specialized in RF.

Akeezy, As I mentioned before I've been thinking about trying liquid, Does it include all the fixes for camera, camcorder, and gps. I did notice in the changelog that imoseyon's tweaks are included by default so why did you install those separately?

Once I get mine settled in, I too will be using mine for facebook and other social media a bit more. I was just trying to keep things at a minimum til I got battery life straightened out.

akeezy
07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Yea everything works to my knowledge. I use the gps and cameras. I guess i didnt notice imoseyon was already installed or maybe i forgot since i switch between this cm7 and justice. I just flashed it yesterday when i switched back.

From akeezy's Galaxy

Wrapped
07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
What is cell standby? It's always my number 1 battery user. What's the difference between cell standby and cell idle?

Nemo aeternamn
07-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Just wondering. To those that are having high idle and cell drain... have you changed the
Little pull down thing?... One thing I've noticed on all cm7 builds its that changing that for some reason kills barry life on both of those processes although no idea why that one little detail would cause such a draw...
Sent from nemo walking solus

griz.droidx
07-22-2011, 08:26 AM
@akeezy, I've been wanting to try justice for some time now, I checked the toolbox last night for an update. Nothing new in there. Out of the three that you have used which one would you say you like the best and why?

@wrapped, If I knew I'd tell you.. I bet a search of googles android site might yeild some answers if you could search for services or running services on android. If you find out, hit me back here. I'd like to know myself.

@Nemo, What little pulldown thing? There's a ton of options you can add to the pulldown notification power tool. Which one exactly are you talking about. I have several in there in addition to what it came with. You do know you can change those add/remove as well as change their order in CM settings.

akeezy
07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
@akeezy, I've been wanting to try justice for some time now, I checked the toolbox last night for an update. Nothing new in there. Out of the three that you have used which one would you say you like the best and why?

@wrapped, If I knew I'd tell you.. I bet a search of googles android site might yeild some answers if you could search for services or running services on android. If you find out, hit me back here. I'd like to know myself.

@Nemo, What little pulldown thing? There's a ton of options you can add to the pulldown notification power tool. Which one exactly are you talking about. I have several in there in addition to what it came with. You do know you can change those add/remove as well as change their order in CM settings.

The justice update can only be found by using the toolbox while on cm7 or 596 because the nightlies only work on gingerbread or something. Of the three roms, I prefer liquid and justice. The only difference between the two really is that liquid has a few more customizable options. Justice feels pretty smooth too but they are about equal in my opinion.

griz.droidx
07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Akeezy, so on Justice and Liquid everything works, Liq is more customizable, Did you get about the same batt life from both? I've always liked Liberty, and I'm sure I'll be trying justice eventually, According to to tweet I read from rummy, he's revamping the toolbox. And did over 20hours of coding one day.. Wow. I've already downloaded Justice 0.1 do you mean that there is an update already to that one? The one with a funny name? So he has released the update.

Sorry guys to get off topic here, but I trust this guys word, he seems to be a straight up cool dude. I know I could just read the threads, and did for a while, but haven't lately. And as someone else said, many posts about bugs errors and such are usually user related. Of course, like any thing else, you have to look at who is saying what. Not that every issue isn't legit, but Sometimes people think they're done something or a step, but actually left it out. I know I have on occasion, thought I did this and that 100%, turns out I forgot or got in a hurry and didn't do what I was supposed to. Easy done.

akeezy
07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Yea the battery life is about the same. I don't think an update has been put out yet. The v0.1 is the first version and it should have the funny name. You have to rename it and add the ".zip" to flash it

I appreciate your trust and I know what you mean about the concerns and issues being posted that are actually user errors. I do as much research as I can before doing anything so I don't make mistakes. I don't think I've even posted a complaint about malfunctions or anything haha

from akeezy's Galaxy Tab

Nemo aeternamn
07-25-2011, 04:31 AM
@griz: i was referring to... ah... not sure of the technical name... but like... in root tools, and the liberty toolbox.... you can click on the pull down editor....

oman0123
07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Gonna post this in another thread too but i tested it out last night while running miui.

Charged my phone fully, unplugged it and went to sleep immediately after. Woke up to 79% battery life and 80% of the 21% gone was used by cell standby and phone idle. That's just way high to me.

I've tried installing juice defender but that mucked up something to where mms wouldn't work same with advanced task killer (haven't tested this on miui. Just liquid and cyanogen

abqnm
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Gonna post this in another thread too but i tested it out last night while running miui.

Charged my phone fully, unplugged it and went to sleep immediately after. Woke up to 79% battery life and 80% of the 21% gone was used by cell standby and phone idle. That's just way high to me.

I've tried installing juice defender but that mucked up something to where mms wouldn't work same with advanced task killer (haven't tested this on miui. Just liquid and cyanogen

If you charged and went to bed, then that makes perfect sense. Since you are not using anything else, except maybe some background updates for apps and data, the majority of your battery usage will be consumed by cell standby and phone idle and very little else, so they will appear very high. If you had them using 80% of your battery usage after using the phone all day, then there is a problem. Ideally if the phone sits completely idle, those should be as close to 100% as possible.

It is all about perception. Just because the percentage is high does not mean it is actually using a high amount of battery.

kafreeman
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM

I agree that a 21% drop is "high" when I normally would experience around 10%-15% drop in the same amount of time on a 596 based rom.

Im wondering how long its going to take for MIUI to get to 15% today... I can normally get over 24 hours on a single charge in 596.

But I LOVE the interface in MIUI.

But, there seems to be no kind of scheduler to stop data sync after a certain time of night until the phone wakes up like in 596.

abqnm
07-26-2011, 10:35 AM

I guess I should also ask what timeframe is involved here? Were you asleep for 2 hours or 12? Were connected to wifi or using 3g? Did you have data disabled at all?

oman0123
07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I had 3g on. And it was about 7 hours. I tried getting a screenshot but drocap doesn't work and not sure where the built in one is for miui.us

I know about 5-10 runoff is normal. But For it to use almost a quarter of the battery just sitting seems like alot. And it just seems that most are having the phone sleep issues

cory46
07-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I had 3g on. And it was about 7 hours. I tried getting a screenshot but drocap doesn't work and not sure where the built in one is for miui.us

screenies are menu button and volume down.. if you hit volume down first you might get your volume toggle in the way over your screen