PDA

View Full Version : One Charger two devices using a splitter?

fsand
07-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi all, I have a droid X cradle and an EQ5, both use the mini USB to charge. Can I use a USB splitter and use a single of the Motorola chargers to charge them both at the same time? Or will I lose power and not get a good charge? Anyone who might know thanks in advance!

Quicksilver7714
07-15-2011, 03:18 PM
My assumption would be that you will be getting less than adequate charge to both devices by splitting the cable from the wall plug.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk

Leach19m
07-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I would agree with quicksilver that you likely wouldn't get enough power to charge either. But I don't really know as I haven't tried it.

Loving me some CM4DX

fasthair
07-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm going to have to go against those other two posts... my guess is the splitter cable is wired in parallel (has to be or otherwise it would need to have to have both connections filled for it to work) So because of this you will still get a full 5VDC but the amps will be cut in half for each device. So they will charge but it will (may?) take longer to fully charge both of them.

I just did a quick Google and found 2 and 4 split cables. Take note though that some are charging only cable while others are like a USB hub. Cool idea. I just might have to get me one of these cables because I'm always juggling charging two phones at work.

fasthair

BHuber09
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I'd say it'd work you just can't use the phone or the other device while they are charging.
Also I'd suggest getting a new wallcharger one that pumps out more than the 850mA the normal one does.

Edit: ninja'd
He went more in depth than I did but basically the same thing.

FreeMyMoto!!!

fsand
07-23-2011, 11:09 PM
UPDATE:
As I continued my quest to make this solution work I have found that apparently Moto was ahead of me, and liked my idea so much they had already done it, lol.

They call it- Motorola Y-Cable Charger Adapter P000
Allows you to simultaneously charge your Motorola Bluetooth® phone and companion product. Eliminate the need to carry two chargers - the Charger Adapter P000 allows for simultaneous charging of your Motorola mini USB phone and Bluetooth® companion products with mini USB connectors. The Charger Adapter P000 plugs into your existing Motorola wall charger or car charger (sold separately). An ideal charging solution if only one power outlet is available - no need to swap devices on single charger.

They also note that it will slightly slow the charging of the phone, but as I have read it appears the secondary is current limited so it will still work almost 100%. I'll update the thread when I have it in hand and have used it. Factually speaking though the phone spends the night in the multi media dock and all I need the splitter for is to power my EQ5's for the morning alarm clock so I can't imagine it will disappoint.

OKIE55
07-26-2011, 07:52 AM
As stated above,

Any time you split the source, while maintaining the voltage, the amps out will be cut in half.

Might charge, but the math says it will take twice as long.

fsand
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
As stated above,

Any time you split the source, while maintaining the voltage, the amps out will be cut in half.

Might charge, but the math says it will take twice as long.

Apparently the math is incorrect. Or possibly the cable is designed with this in mind. Either way it is not a 50/50 situation. The cable is specifically marked for a phone and a bluetooth device. It will not charge two phones, nor will the bluetooth side charge even one phone. The cable must have less power on the bluetooth end knowing that the bluetooth device draws less power and the remainder on the phone side.