PDA

View Full Version : switching new phone want to start off with CM4DX

goldsmitht
07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm getting a replacement, so if i have to SBF off whatever format they send it to me in (GB probably) I figured i'd just go ahead and try CM7. I'll be keeping my SD Card so thought i would get all the downloads done before the new one shows up (current phone is having pixel problems on half the screen)

I've got the first parts down, SBF > Z4 Root > Install CM7 download zip > install GAPPS > install Cam/camera zip > install latest nightly (whatever number that is) - by the way, where are they downloaded from?

or is there an easier way? Not sure i want to go the 1step zip from TBH, as i have heard it is just as easy to go the standard way, as well as some have said they had problems with the one step zip.

anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. Phone is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I will be up all night saturday trying to get this uploaded. Thanks in advance!

popcenator
07-15-2011, 01:45 PM
If I'm correct, you should be able to just install the latest nightly after updating RM and SU. If you're downloading them from RM, they'll be in clockworkmod folder under download.

on the move..

goldsmitht
07-15-2011, 08:32 PM
If I'm correct, you should be able to just install the latest nightly after updating RM and SU. If you're downloading them from RM, they'll be in clockworkmod folder under download.

on the move..

do i need to be on CM7 to see that folder? I went there looking to see which was the latest, and couldn't even find them in RM

popcenator
07-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Maybe you do, it's been a while since I went through the process. I know once you update RM the CM appears.

on the move..

TideFan22
07-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Don't they only show up after flashing clockwork 4.0.0.5 (2nd init) ?

From my Simply Stunning X

popcenator
07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
That could be it as well. I might need to SBF and reinstall CM7 so I can get my facts straight lol.

on the move..

Ch0s3n0n3
07-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Don't they only show up after flashing clockwork 4.0.0.5 (2nd init) ?

From my Simply Stunning X

That's correct

....CM7'd X

zoe
07-16-2011, 02:58 AM
couldn't you just dl the nightly direct from the site and flash in the older cw recovery, then they'd show in rm as well

something, anything else.. :)

fezrock
07-16-2011, 03:08 AM
couldn't you just dl the nightly direct from the site and flash in the older cw recovery, then they'd show in rm as well

Bingo! Like zoe said, get it from the website. Then sbf, root, bootstrap, flash nightly, then you can update rm to get nightlies that way if you wish.

Also, the cm7-based roms are quite nice, so you may consider those also. Same method of installation.

zoe
07-16-2011, 09:54 AM
cm4dx nightly page (cdma shadow is the dx, just an internal name)

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=cdma_shadow

goldsmitht
07-16-2011, 07:43 PM
So, if i want to go to CM7d, i need to NOT download D2 Bootstrap? Somewhere heard that it can screw things up. Just use the on phone method.

also, what's the quality of the camera / video? I really use mine, and would make a difference. And if i don't like it, can i download a replacement off the market and install it?

thanks for all the advice!

fezrock
07-16-2011, 07:55 PM
So, if i want to go to CM7d, i need to NOT download D2 Bootstrap? Somewhere heard that it can screw things up. Just use the on phone method.

also, what's the quality of the camera / video? I really use mine, and would make a difference. And if i don't like it, can i download a replacement off the market and install it?

thanks for all the advice!

You need bootstrap to install cm7. But once you have cm7 flashed, Do Not reinstall bootstrap, as it will mess stuff up.

Cam, camcorder are decent, and have worked fine for a couple weeks now. You should also be able to use alternative apps from the market. If you buy one tho, try it out fast, and if it doesn't work you can get a refund within 15 minutes of purchase.

goldsmitht
07-16-2011, 08:03 PM
You need bootstrap to install cm7. But once you have cm7 flashed, Do Not reinstall bootstrap, as it will mess stuff up.

Cam, camcorder are decent, and have worked fine for a couple weeks now. You should also be able to use alternative apps from the market. If you buy one tho, try it out fast, and if it doesn't work you can get a refund within 15 minutes of purchase.

FEZ! Thanks, really don't worry about the time limits, hell, i drop more than that on one beer watching the game, so if i don't like it, i chalk it up to supporting the Dev's

gunner1982
07-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Now that's a great attitude to have wish there were more ppl like you out there and good luck with the install

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

gunner1982
07-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Just one word of advice I have tried it and it doesn't work in this case ...but TBH has an all in one updater if you ever want to go back to from cm7 don't try it for some reason it does not work when trying to revert from cm7 I even tried it when going from GB to froyo

goldsmitht
07-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Just one word of advice I have tried it and it doesn't work in this case ...but TBH has an all in one updater if you ever want to go back to from cm7 don't try it for some reason it does not work when trying to revert from cm7 I even tried it when going from GB to froyo

Gunner; thanks! actually had a problem with a different "all in one" (not sure whose) and try to stay away from quick fixes. was curious, if i decide to get off the CM7 bandwagon, i CAN just SBF, then 2-part it back to gingerbread and on from there, right?

zoe
07-16-2011, 09:12 PM
obviously I'm not gunner, but yes, that should work...

now if there was just some way to get the gb ota ppl waiting for a one-click method for root to understand the power of the sbf & pre-rooted gb, and that with just a tiny amount of reading/effort, they will reap the rewards they seen to be content denying themselves...

goldsmitht
07-16-2011, 09:21 PM
yeh, but i don't install GB, i go from .340 (SBF) to CM7 then to the latest nightly, right? and if i didn't thank you, thanks for the nightlies page. much prefer to download to my computer, copy to my phone, and then install. makes the download go MUCH MUCH better.

and i really don't think there will be a root for .596; new version coming out in a few weeks, and really think that the 2nd INIT is where everyone is putting their time, until that is when MOTOROLA UNLOCKS OUR DROIDS!!!

sorry, got carried away there!

fezrock
07-16-2011, 09:27 PM
yeh, but i don't install GB, i go from .340 (SBF) to CM7 then to the latest nightly, right? and if i didn't thank you, thanks for the nightlies page. much prefer to download to my computer, copy to my phone, and then install. makes the download go MUCH MUCH better.

and i really don't think there will be a root for .596; new version coming out in a few weeks, and really think that the 2nd INIT is where everyone is putting their time, until that is when MOTOROLA UNLOCKS OUR DROIDS!!!

sorry, got carried away there!

Right-o! .340 to cm7. And to get to GB just sbf and install the 2-parter. Done it, easy-peasy!

Edit: and a big +1 for dev support!

zoe
07-16-2011, 09:36 PM
yeh, but i don't install GB, i go from .340 (SBF) to CM7 then to the latest nightly, right?

you don't need to flash cm7 rc1 followed by the nightly, you can just do the nightly (other steps do apply)... any nightly, as each one ignores what you had before (as long as you're on cm7 if you do a second nightly)...

consider this a bump if nothing else

popcenator
07-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah each nightly is a full build so you only need the latest. After that you'll need to make sure you have updated both superuser and ROM manager, then flash CW 4.0.0.5.

on the move..

goldsmitht
07-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Yeah each nightly is a full build so you only need the latest. After that you'll need to make sure you have updated both superuser and ROM manager, then flash CW 4.0.0.5.

on the move..

ok, so confused now;
SBF to .340 > root > SU > and then install just the latest? How do i install it, since it says don't use Droid2 bootstrap? can i use Root Tools to get to CWM? and not heard of CW 4.0.0.5, where do i get it?

thanks again for all the help, not usually this slow

razorloves
07-17-2011, 01:03 AM
all you do is sbf, z4root, droid2 bootstrapper, then boot into cwr and flash the newest nightly and gapps and all in one fix zip, then reboot.

you have to use droid2 bootstrapper to initially install cm4dx