PDA

View Full Version : Phone shutting off

snoman23
07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I just installed ssx yesterday and v6. It all runnable snappy but if my phone sits in idle for variable amounts of time it seems to turn it self off. The power button is unresponsive, it does make the led blink. But the screen wont turn on and I have to do a battery pull. Any one else have this issue? Any ideas why?

Droid x ssx v.6

johnfranckiv
07-13-2011, 05:24 PM
How did you get to ssx. I had a similar issue and sbf'd and reflashed... something from your old set up may be causing the problem...

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

snoman23
07-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Came from liberty 0.8, while data, cache, dalvik, and battery stats. ran the prep, flashed ssx, rebooted, flashed the prep again, and than the updates.

snoman23
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Ill probly just sbf than and reload :( ohh well just did that for my friend today.

johnfranckiv
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
You will have to sbf... you can only go to ssx from froyo or cm7 since ssx is built off a froyo kernal...
Good luck.. if you need any extra help just post!

mapatton82
07-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Came from liberty 0.8, while data, cache, dalvik, and battery stats. ran the prep, flashed ssx, rebooted, flashed the prep again, and than the updates.

I have heard others having issues using the prep file to go to SSX instead of SBF'ing and doing a clean install. I would SBF and before flashing SSX format and wipe cache, this worked well for my install.

scottbg1
07-15-2011, 02:15 AM
I first flashed this ROM last week using the prep file method, but after having a few reliability issues, i resorted to sbf-ing first as everyone recommends.

That being said, I am now on about my 6th flash trying to overcome the issue of the phone shutting down. Its getting frustrating as I read where people are having zero issues, and yet I can't seem to sort this out.

I'm no stranger to flashing ROM's, and even consider myself a "zip wizard" as I usually unzip a ROM before flashing, and removing and adding things to my liking before flashing to my phone. I know what not to remove, and what not to add as to not produce undesirable results. I first thought, that this what was causing my problems, and I chocked it up to my lack of experience with AOSP ROMs. Thinking maybe that some of the stuff I look at as bloat, (car dock, ect) might be tied into other important parts of the system. For example, on blur roms the yahoo contact widget being removed will cripple the system contacts. Who knew that a yahoo app, would be so important to a google ROM?

Anyway, my issues are as follows:

Bear in mind these are not consistent, which add to my frustration. All are hit and miss.

1. the phone will shut itself off while charging over night.
2. rebooting after sending a text message. ( I do NOT use 3rd party texting apps )
3. rebooting during a phone call.
4. screen goes black for no reason, and have to do a battery pull.

I thought that maybe it was something to do with bluetooth being activated as I have mine on constantly but I have recently realized, after a short while leaving it off, that is not the case.

I've since began a trial to see if any apps I have installed are causing the problem. But I am down to nearly nothing installed and have yet to find an answer. This last flash I have installed NOTHING, and left the ROM as is to see if I still have the problem. Surely I am not doomed to not enjoying my usual inventory of applications to gain some reliability on my phone.

It has to be something that runs continuously in the background, I am guessing, that would cause the problem. Things of that nature that I have installed are Beautiful widgets, Friendcaster, Youmail, and AP mobile. The rest are only on demand uses like Poweramp, or Rhapsody, ect.

I've tried running permissions once I have everything installed, and I have tried different governor settings including no governor. I've even tried using different themes, as I have learned that some themes cause bugs themselves.

I hope I can find a solution, or maybe someone recommend something as I really like this ROM and I actually cringe at the thought of going back to deodexed .596. This coming form a guy who is NOT a fan of AOSP ROMs.

Thanks ahead for any and all responses.

HarleyDude
07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I've since began a trial to see if any apps I have installed are causing the problem. But I am down to nearly nothing installed and have yet to find an answer. This last flash I have installed NOTHING, and left the ROM as is to see if I still have the problem. Surely I am not doomed to not enjoying my usual inventory of applications to gain some reliability on my phone.

If I read this right, you've only done the one install with the ROM unmodified? If that's the case, try it again with the unmodified ROM. Too many people are having no issues, and the ones who do have issues seem to get it fixed, many times by a full SBF and clean install. Have you run cm7 successfully? or the new Liquid as all are cm7 builds.

scottbg1
07-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the response Harley,

BTW, 2010 Wide Glide owner here. :)

Actually, I am on my 4th, "Un-modified" install.

I haven't decided if I have found the problem yet, but I have a suspicion.

I started this last flash with no apps what-so-ever installed. And after a time I am installing only my most used apps one by one.

I hit on something earlier after installing "PowerAmp" media player. About an hour after installing and using, I got the dreaded black screen=battery pull problem. Up until that time I was thinking it might have been the framework animations that were causing it because I was getting close to having all my apps installed until this.

I checked the log-cat right after it rebooted, and though I don't understand the messages, common sense tells me that RED is bad. And there were multiple logs with this message:

"E/dalvikvm( random number ): could not disable core file generation for pid (same number as in parentheses at beginning of message): Operation not permitted"

I have not noticed those logged since I uninstalled.

My DX had been problem free until that install, and so far after uninstalling still no problems.

I'm not counting my chickens yet, but I hope I am on to something. Its bittersweet because I really enjoy the functions of PowerAmp over the Android player. Not to mention I payed for this app. :(

And to you other question, yes and no. I have indeed tried CM7, but not successfully, and quickly uninstalled because of these issues. So maybe I have found the reason for that fail as well.

And yes, I have sbf-ed to 340 then to SSX the last 4 attempts. I have even tried few factory resets with out luck.

Its has to be a conflict with an app......I hope. *fingers crossed*

Again, I have lost all love for stock GB. I reinstalled it after I posted above as I had given up on making this work. It took me only an hour to realize I still had a little try left in me to get SSX going. I truly enjoy this ROM the most.

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted if I find anything.

UPDATE: Not 5 minutes after posting this I picked up my DX and it had rebooted and was stuck at the boot logo. PowerAmp and Youmail were the only two apps I had installed. Since it crashed after uninstalling PowerAmp and I don't suspect Youmail it has to be a system problem.

I did a little reading about DalvikVM and if I understand correctly, it is a google system thing, and I found nothing that showed that any of these two apps even use any type of virtual machine.

I should have done this ages ago, but I am going to re-download a fresh copy of the ROM and try that.

Will post if I find a solution.

HarleyDude
07-16-2011, 06:54 AM
I've been looking at a new street glide, almost like my ultra but noticeably lighter, and my ride is showing her age
Good luck with the re-download and install, since there are many successful installations already, hopefully, you can have one too, let me know how it goes. I'll post if I come up with anything else (waiting for coffee to kick in)

scottbg1
07-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Street Glide = Sweet!

If I can ever afford it, that'll be my second bike.

I live in South Alabama and took a ride to Daytona, Fl for bike week this past year. One of the guys I ride with has one and he was about the only one not crippled after 10 hrs of riding. Its makes
For a comfortable highway bike, and is still a great cruiser as well.

Update on my issue:

Re-downloaded a fresh
Copy of the Rom and so far so good. I still have been slow about installing my apps but I keep checking the log-cat and I never seen that particular error.

Will update again in a day or so.

HarleyDude
07-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Good news on the install so far, hope it holds.

snoman23
07-17-2011, 11:17 AM
So I never resolved this issue, o tried 3 sbf's and reflashes... no bueno. I ended up flashing liquid last night and am smooth as... well liquid! Might have been a bad file? Not sure but no issues now :b

scottbg1
07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Try re-downloading the zip.

As I stated above, my issues were endless.

After flashing the new zip, I am now 36 hours into it, with all my apps installed and ZERO issues. I don't feel like a red headed step child anymore. ;)