PDA

View Full Version : Battery Getting Very Hot

mekdidthat216
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I have to say I'm definitely loving CM4DX but I am having an issue with the battery getting warm to very hot. It seems like when the phone is on 3G or searching for a signal the battery gets hot and ends up draining faster than the speed of light. I was in the basement of a building with spotty reception for 2 hours and within that time my phone went from 70% to death.
Are there any settings anyone has to prevent this from happening or is this standard?

P.S. On Apex RC 2 I didnt have this issue but I really want to keep CM4DX.

abqnm
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
That is normal for the phone to heat up when searching for signal. When your phone is searching for signal, it operates the radio at full power trying to get a signal. This is is a very high drain process which generates heat and uses a lot of power. This will cause the phone to heat up and the battery from the power usage. Even worse for the phone is periods of no signal. This means the phone does not go into power saving mode to conserve power when it has no signal because it periodically gets a signal and stays awake. Keep in mind that even in the same location you can have different results at different times, so it is not necessarily the ROM. What radio version are you running on CM7? It could be that you are running 07p and on ApeX it requires 12p, so the radio may get better signal on 12p where you were at.

Now, there could still be a problem, but not likely. What is the battery temperature and ambient room temperature?

mekdidthat216
07-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I am running on .07P on CM7. This extreme happening to the phone happens also in an area with a good signal. For example I leave my phone in my car (the car is in a cool place), and when I come back to it an hour or two later extremely hot with a significant decrease in battery. The battery draining from 70 to death today occurred with very very minimal usage. The temperature in the basement was cool.
Any other suggestions anybody? I love this rom but I hate this issue!!

abqnm
07-12-2011, 10:59 PM
You may want to try the radio upgrade posted in another thread. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/cyanogenmod/31432-fresh-cm7-install-radio-07p-activation-2.html#post368017 This is the same radio that is on the stock gingerbread update and ApeX RC2. It may help since it was not happening on that ROM.

Also, you may want to check in Spare Parts Battery History to make sure that something is not excessively using data or GPS while idle. I first had this problem on CM7 because one of my widgets was trying to get location data and I had forgotten to enable network location and so it was constantly using the GPS which had no signal where I was at.

mekdidthat216
07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
You may want to try the radio upgrade posted in another thread. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/cyanogenmod/31432-fresh-cm7-install-radio-07p-activation-2.html#post368017 This is the same radio that is on the stock gingerbread update and ApeX RC2. It may help since it was not happening on that ROM.

Also, you may want to check in Spare Parts Battery History to make sure that something is not excessively using data or GPS while idle. I first had this problem on CM7 because one of my widgets was trying to get location data and I had forgotten to enable network location and so it was constantly using the GPS which had no signal where I was at.

Has changing the radio helped anyone in the past? I will look at Spare Parts and let you know if anything looks suspicious