PDA

View Full Version : Screen protector needed?

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm so fed up with these things. I know for a fact that I can't install them on my own, so I have Verizon AND BestBuy give it a go, and they still always leave dirt under it.

So I wanna know if there's ANY chance of the Gorilla Glass getting scratches. I mean even a LITTLE scratch, because I'm crazy about that stuff. Is it possible for sand or dirt or something to scratch the screen?

Please voice your opinions ASAP. I wanna throw this thing back in BestBuy's face.

PS: I got a DROID Charge. LOVING it.

Scrapy McSlappy
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't use a protector and my phone is always in my pocket with my keys and I have no scratches at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

BHuber09
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I've taken my MOTHERS DX and took a key to it saying it won't scratch it and you don't need a protector. There wasn't a scratch on it.
Needless to say she doesn't use one Now.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I figured haha.

But I mean, what are the chances of dirt or something getting into the screen?

PS: I always put my phone into a silk baggy kinda thing and put it into a loose pocket in my shorts.

BHuber09
07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I've had mine practically since release and I keep mine (when I have it) in my Oakley sunglasses bag and I have never gotten anything in it.
If you do though I bet a q-tip can get it right out.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I've had mine practically since release and I keep mine (when I have it) in my Oakley sunglasses bag and I have never gotten anything in it.
If you do though I bet a q-tip can get it right out.

FreeMyMoto!!!Seriously considering going naked with this thing now. But just my luck I'll get something on it.

BHuber09
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
If you do I'm sure you can take any type of airisol (noo clue how yo spell it but that's how it sounds) and just blow the dirt out.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
If you do I'm sure you can take any type of airisol (noo clue how yo spell it but that's how it sounds) and just blow the dirt out.

FreeMyMoto!!!I don't think it would be that easy lol.

Droid reX
07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
My 10 months old boy likes to throw my x when I leave it out. Since im pretty careless it happens often. I have no case or screen protector and it still looks brand new.

ashpdwinDX
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Should be good to go. I've taken a key to the screen without scratching it all in front of some friends...very durable screen. This thing is sealed pretty tight too so dirt under the screen shouldn't be a problem(Been naked for 3 months now :D )

Doctor Chronic
My 10 months old boy likes to throw my x when I leave it out. Since im pretty careless it happens often. I have no case or screen protector and it still looks brand new.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X ForumsI'm more worried about dirt and sand getting into the screen though.

Doctor Chronic
Should be good to go. I've taken a key to the screen without scratching it all in front of some friends...very durable screen. This thing is sealed pretty tight too so dirt under the screen shouldn't be a problem(Been naked for 3 months now :D )Seems tempting to rip this thing off...

BHuber09
07-07-2011, 04:32 PM
If you get dirt or sand in It take it in and be like why is there dirt under my screen???!? Fix it!!
And they will I bet (because they don't get to do it to often (because it doesn't happen hahah))

FreeMyMoto!!!

ashpdwinDX
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd say try it out for a week or so. Some people like the bare glass(Screen quality is definitely better if you were using one of those anti glare protectors from VZ), and some end up not liking the feel of bare glass. I'm probably gonna get another protector cuz I play alot of games and my fingers sorta stick to the glass. lol. Just try it out and see if you like it

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I'd say try it out for a week or so. Some people like the bare glass(Screen quality is definitely better if you were using one of those anti glare protectors from VZ), and some end up not liking the feel of bare glass. I'm probably gonna get another protector cuz I play alot of games and my fingers sorta stick to the glass. lol. Just try it out and see if you like itOh, I know. The anti-glare ones have a grainy rainbow effect, which drove me nuts, because as everybody knows, the DROID Charge screen is amazing, and it just ruined it. I wanna go bare glass, but again I'm scared about little scratches. If it gets sticky/dirty, I can always use the Zagg spray.

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Bump. I just read that dust and sand CAN get into the screen... :/

eric eakin
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
a standard screen saver wont stop that as they only cover the glass. you would need a fully enclosed case to prevent that.

eric eakin
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
if you do go bare glass, try putting rain-ex on the screen, fingerprints are near non existent and it is super slick!

cory46
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I use the zagg invisible shield.. one that covers the entire phone.. corners and all and once you get you use it for a week/two the "tacky" feeling is gone and you can't really tell its there.. I put it on myself just made sure I had clean fingers and put that liquid on my finger tips and it was good to go

RnD_Solo
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Otterbox.. Its the ticket

I'm faster than you! :) xlr82xtc

eric eakin
07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I use the zagg invisible shield.. one that covers the entire phone.. corners and all

i have a zagg as well, had the rep put it on, but it only covers the screen and i watched them peel it out of the kit for the whole phone. is there something different then?

i do love it though!

cory46
07-07-2011, 06:14 PM
yep full body max... don't think best buy sells the max one Motorola Droid X/X2 Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/motorola-droid-x-x2-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php)

Doctor Chronic
07-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I contacted Samsung (because I'm using the Charge) and they said that there should be no problems going bare with the phone, and if anything happens, I can get a replacement. Thanks, guys!

Scram
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I had a screen protector for awhile. It was layed on perfectly but to me was too noticeable so off it went. The DX is an awesome device both functionally and visually. The screen is tough as nails. A screen protector on the X is like a "baby on board" sticker in the window of a Lamborghini.

Sent from my naked liberated DX

eric eakin
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
yep full body max... don't think best buy sells the max one Motorola Droid X/X2 Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/motorola-droid-x-x2-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php)
am i missing something? even the picture shows multiple pieces, i.e., the screen, the battery door, the back, and the sides. dirt will still get in the cracks around the screen and all other areas. (no i didnt buy mine from bestbuy, i bought it from zagg directly in the mall.)

not trying to slam you, i just dont get it as i am interested!

cory46
07-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Haha I wasn't claiming it would stop dirt I just said I used one that covers the corners and all. Yeah it's multiple pieces.

Scram
07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Perhaps you should put it in a zip lock bag or ask your doctor to increase your meds:) Please take no offense, I'm just playing and being stupid:oD

Sent from my liberated DX

jonathon1289
07-08-2011, 06:42 AM
If anyone is interested, check out StealthGuard protectors. They have screen only and full body versions. If you use this link you will help get me a free protector for my phone, so I really appreciate it!

Stealth Guards (http://stealthguards.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=1724)

shadowsjc
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Mine isn't pristine but I've abused it heavily since August, and the screen is just fine. The back of the phone has a few chips / dents from all the late night drops on the concrete, though.

riri9474
07-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I use a trident case slash screen protector and the phone is like fort nocks in this thing not a single part of the phone isnt protected! Makes it bulky but when it comes to my phone once there is even a tiny flaw i lose intrest in taking care of it and at almost 2 months in this case its still perfect!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

didiwags
08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I had a Steinheil screen protector for the longest time and loved it, got a puppy and she chewed on my phone (went to the bathroom and came out to the horror). No marks on my screen though!! :) But I went threw an old Verizon one I had laying around and it sucked. I tried one Walmart sold and it was decent but not up to my standards and then broke down and bought a Zagg Invisible shield and it really is a great screen protector. I was worried about the wet application but it was super easy!!! :)

DroidXTom
08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I just use the Droid x brand screen protector. It works just fine with me. I also got one of those carbon fiber cases and I've had it thrown across parking lots and still come out fine