PDA

View Full Version : Micro USB to 3.5mm cable available?

phi1514
07-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Brand new to the forum guys. Here's what I want to do. I'd like to find a cable (or an adapter that I can plug into the micro USB on the Droid X and then plug a 3.5mm audio cable into the adapter) that has a micro USB plug on one end and a 3.5mm connection on the other end. This will allow me to connect my Droid X to the Auxiliary Input in my Tundra, Plug it into our portable Ipod player to listen to Pandora and Tune-In Radio, etc.

I've done numerous searches on Google and did find a micro USB adapter that converts to a female 3.5mm connection (you would then connect the 3.5mm audio cable to the adapter) but reviews are not good and it specifies certain phones it will work with...the Droid X not being one of them.

Anyone else have this idea and what have you come up with? I figured MonoPrice would have something, but no luck. Thanks!

Matt

phi1514
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Brand new to the forum guys. Here's what I want to do. I'd like to find a cable (or an adapter that I can plug into the micro USB on the Droid X and then plug a 3.5mm audio cable into the adapter) that has a micro USB plug on one end and a 3.5mm connection on the other end. This will allow me to connect my Droid X to the Auxiliary Input in my Tundra, Plug it into our portable Ipod player to listen to Pandora and Tune-In Radio, etc.

I've done numerous searches on Google and did find a micro USB adapter that converts to a female 3.5mm connection (you would then connect the 3.5mm audio cable to the adapter) but reviews are not good and it specifies certain phones it will work with...the Droid X not being one of them.

Anyone else have this idea and what have you come up with? I figured MonoPrice would have something, but no luck. Thanks!

Matt

fc127
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the USB port does not transmit any sound. What you need is a double ended 3.5mm cord. Readily available too...

That's what I use to connect to my old ihome at work.

From SSX 2.0 on my DX

Scrapy McSlappy
07-07-2011, 10:22 AM
All you have to get is a 3.5 to 3.5 and plug into the Droid x headphone Jack and into your auxiliary input. I use it like this and have no problems with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

mopar-x
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Why not use a 3.5 to 3.5 adapter that is what I use in my truck?

ashpdwinDX
07-07-2011, 10:37 AM
^ this. I don't think the usb port can transmit sound like that anyways.

phi1514
07-07-2011, 04:01 PM
That's strange that you can't stream audio from the micro USB...being since it will upload HD Video to a PC. Oh well...off to Radio Shack. Thanks!

Wicholas
07-08-2011, 09:48 AM
a usb can transmit sound (like the op pointed out) but there would be no reason to do so in the way that your refering to

you do realize the plug in next to the power button at the top of the phone is a 3.5 mm output right?

h8isgr8
07-08-2011, 10:06 AM
a usb can transmit sound (like the op pointed out) but there would be no reason to do so in the way that your refering to

Ermmm..... no. USB is a DATA interface; it doesn't transmit analog audio...... ever. To do that requires a USB Audio Codec of some kind, which requires external hardware.

The DX doesn't do USB Host mode anyway.

NicT
07-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Do you have a usb input on your radio? I have those on both radios in both my vehicles.. I use a flash drive to store all my music and you can use the micro usb to usb to plug into the radio and play any sound file from the phone and search through them with the radio not having to go through the phone.:wink:

iDr0id
07-08-2011, 11:07 AM
3.5 on each end. Data will not transmit audio like others have said. It will however transmit data. That being said when you connect say an iPod to a radio via usb, the music is transferred as days to the radio and the radio plays the audio file using your iPod as the external memory for the music. The usb cable does nothing more than transfer data to and from the radio, therefore it cannot be used in conjunction with a 3.5mm cable to get the results your looking for. Tip: turn volume all the way up on the phone when you connect it via 3.5mm cable to the radio then set the volume on the radio to where you want it, not the other way around. Far less distortion this way

iDr0id
07-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Also, you have a newer car, it may be Bluetooth enabled already. That is optimal for phone to car streaming. Find that out for us. Do you happen to havehands free phone calling?