PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life

B1GD
07-05-2011, 02:54 AM
What kind of battery life are you all getting? If its good, whats your set-up?

MICHO
07-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Haha I'm lucky if I can get over 7 hrs. Unless I'm sleeping lol
I never put this thing down.
I'm Even worse now that I'm runnin Chevy's ssx. Its insanity I tell you lol.

SSX?.......... hummm... duh!

c. bagley
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Yepp I love me some SSX, thank goodness for an extended battery bout 16 hours and 50% battery

kmudd3
07-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I have an extended battery running TBH's Ginger stock Deoxed nothing else really customized...and I get through the whole day 16+ hours of pretty heavy usage.

cory46
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Average 8-14 on cm7, yeah I know that's a wide average but some days im like Micho and don't put it down and others I barely use it

I haz interwebz

phantomworks
07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Using GummyJar 2.5 with stock oem 1500 mA battery)
- yea I know it's been around a while, but I haven't found a rom that was as stable/efficient and I've tried Liberty, LGB, apex, cm4dx, etc and I always go back to gummyjar.

I get 6-8 heavy (streaming video, homerunbattle 3d, gps, etc)
12-16 medium (web surfing, phone calls, bright display, etc)
30+ on light usage (only used for text and light phone calls, not using it unless I actually need to look something up, not streaming music, etc)

My current setup:

circle battery widget - estimates your battery to the 1's. so instead of 90%, 80%, it will say 88%, 84% (i believe it is an estimate based on the battery voltage, so it should be accurate) i.e. for my phone, full power is 4.232 V, 55% is 3.838V, etc
adjbrightness - stock brightness is between 30 - 255, adjbrightness allows you to select between 2 - 255, saves on display juice
juice defender ultimate - turns off data/sync when not in use, syncs email, etc at preselected times (15 min, 30, 1hr, 2hrs) so that 3g is not constantly in use.
setcpu - create profile where screen off forces cpu to 300 mhz max
quickclock advanced - used to find the minimum settings for cpu and vsel
>> uninstall after you get the readings, droid (android) overclock is better at actually setting the values imho.
android overclock - used to set the clock speed and voltage
>> note: the predefined ultra low value settings are not really that low, and by using quick clock you can find the lowest settings that your cpu can handle without turtling/freezing.

my current OC settings
300 - 15 vsel
600 - 30 vsel
900 - 45 vsel
1200 - 61 vsel

I want to be on the latest and greatest roms but until I find one that matches gummyjar I'll take my outdated os and amazing battery life...

Bkdodger
07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Average 8-14 on cm7, yeah I know that's a wide average but some days im like Micho and don't put it down and others I barely use it

I haz interwebz

I can get 16 hrs but I have to sleep for 12 lol

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

misterauto
07-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Went to Verizon a couple days ago about battery life. Guy uninstalled antivirus and advanced task killer. Suggested to install Gingerbread. Battery life much improved. Still have 50% at 9:00 pm and normally would have had to charge it about 2:00 pm.

cory46
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I can get 16 hrs but I have to sleep for 12 lol

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

haha you sleep 12 or the phone does?

cory46
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Went to Verizon a couple days ago about battery life. Guy uninstalled antivirus and advanced task killer. Suggested to install Gingerbread. Battery life much improved. Still have 50% at 9:00 pm and normally would have had to charge it about 2:00 pm.

hold on .. I had to read this a few times... you mean to tell me a verizon employee actually uninstalled a task killer and didn't try to install one? HOLY POOP! this seriously kind of made my evening since the indians are getting smoked by the stankees.....

Bkdodger
07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
haha you sleep 12 or the phone does?

We sleep together lol

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

popcenator
07-05-2011, 08:12 PM
We sleep together lol

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

Haha I saw this post and had to stop in and see what you could possibly be talking about.

on the move..

mikeinrichmond
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Haha I saw this post and had to stop in and see what you could possibly be talking about.

on the move..

Me too...Bk, at least your sleeping with a hot phone, unlike this guy that apparently has his beer goggles on when he picked this lady up...lol...

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x3560694/man_sleeping_beside_cell_phone_dnh01009.jpg

Snow02
07-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Don't knock the treo. That phone was awesome back in the day.

mopar-x
07-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Me too...Bk, at least your sleeping with a hot phone, unlike this guy that apparently has his beer goggles on when he picked this lady up...lol...

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x3560694/man_sleeping_beside_cell_phone_dnh01009.jpg

Nice. LOL

ChevyNo1
07-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Agreed! That was my last smartphone before Android-world - great phone

Bkdodger
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Lmao...I owned a treo....thank goodness I got over her quick..

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

mikeinrichmond
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Yea but we're not talking about back then we're talking about today...lol...

....................DROID X................................................. ......TREO
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WU-gW2ArW5g/TPhi_TrxbdI/AAAAAAAAAeI/OG16JDQySEA/s1600/linda+young+and+old.jpg

popcenator
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
..Goo!

cynkrzy
07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
MIR! that just ain't right.

Swyped and Cyan!

3rotorRX8
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Daaammmmn!!!! lol

sent from SSX Droid X

dschwartz0815
07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm getting 12 hours steady on ApeX RC2

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Dvan
07-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I got about 32 hours with my 3500 battery before I decided to charge it up

At first my battery life sucked...but then I used the below link to calibrate the battery and it worked very well

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11803458&postcount=10

Sent from my Xoom using Droid X Forums

EpicxSmigaj
07-08-2011, 03:28 AM
i get a full 18 plus out of my SSX underclocked but not undervolted... At a full charge, it will last all day and well into the night on moderate to heavy use.. good stuf :)

Shaun
07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
After I first flashed SSX, I had 80% of battery which lasted 4 hours with heavy usage til it died. After I recharged it to 100% and did a battery wipe and calibration, this was my result with light to moderate use throughtout the day (lots of texts, few phone calls, facebook, jorte calender, and droidxforums):
It could be much better if I could figure out how to get it to a deep sleep mode, because as you can see phone idle and cell standby eats a lot of it up!

dschwartz0815
07-08-2011, 03:25 PM
After I first flashed SSX, I had 80% of battery which lasted 4 hours with heavy usage til it died. After I recharged it to 100% and did a battery wipe and calibration, this was my result with light to moderate use throughtout the day (lots of texts, few phone calls, facebook, jorte calender, and droidxforums):
It could be much better if I could figure out how to get it to a deep sleep mode, because as you can see phone idle and cell standby eats a lot of it up!

Dude please tell me how you did this I can get 10 hours if I'm lucky. All I do is text, droid x forums, facebook, browser, and youtube.

3rotorRX8
07-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Dude please tell me how you did this I can get 10 hours if I'm lucky. All I do is text, droid x forums, facebook, browser, and youtube.

+1
I've done the battery cal and 6 is best I can do, but I know my use it extreme, 500+ texts today ,bout equal on yahoo, dxf, mp3 and xnxx kills it asap lol

sent from SSX Droid X

Dvan
07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
+1
I've done the battery cal and 6 is best I can do, but I know my use it extreme, 500+ texts today ,bout equal on yahoo, dxf, mp3 and xnxx kills it asap lol

sent from SSX Droid X

Have you tried the calibration method I posted above?

TideFan22
07-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow 500 text

From my Simply Stunning X

Leach19m
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
+1

sent from SSX Droid X

Lol that's a lot of music, chat, and pron

Loving me some CM4DX

CURBSHOT
07-08-2011, 06:16 PM
For me what worked was all the steps listed but I also lowered the brightness major difference.

3rotorRX8
07-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Wow 500 text

Lol at 900 now

sent from SSX Droid X

3rotorRX8
07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Have you tried the calibration method I posted above?

Yes, I do that will all roms I flash.

sent from SSX Droid X

3rotorRX8
07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Lol that's a lot of music, chat, and pron

Loving me some CM4DX

Lol yep, on the clock too ;)

sent from SSX Droid X

Dekorath
07-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Running stock GB lucky to get 4 hours moderate use ... It's a little ridiculous glad I have a charger at work.

Sent from my stock GB DROIDX using Droid X Forums

cory46
07-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Running stock GB lucky to get 4 hours moderate use ... It's a little ridiculous glad I have a charger at work.

Sent from my stock GB DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Four hours.. really? Even when I was stock gb I got at the worse 11 hours , then again my moderate is most likely a lot different then yours

Dekorath
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Yea I thought it was crazy low at work now will try things when I get home. My moderate usage is maybe like 2 hours DxF and maybe pushing 100 texts.

c. bagley
07-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I got about 32 hours with my 3500 battery before I decided to charge it up

At first my battery life sucked...but then I used the below link to calibrate the battery and it worked very well

xda-developers - View Single Post - Battery Calibration (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11803458&postcount=10)

Sent from my Xoom using Droid X Forums

In the above mentioned link where will I find /data/system/batterystats.bin that has to be deleted? I cant find it in the data folder so where do i need to be looking?

Shaun
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM

After charging battery to 100%, I wipe battery stats in clockwork, then I use a battery calibration app called "Battery Calibrator" by Potente, and recalibrate the battery from 100%.

Here's how mine is setup to get +24 hours of battery life on SSX:
1. Brightness turned all the way down (but you could tweak CM7 settings->display)
2. I use 30 second screen timeout
3. Before bed I turn off "background data"
4. I use only one screen w/calender and two shortcut icons (Calender widget only, NO weatherclock widgets!)
5. I am running ADW EX w/dockbar (doesn't help anything)
6. Render effect set to "Calibrated Cool" (CM7 settings->Interface)
7. No wifi (although some say it is better than 3g on battery)
8. Sync is turned off on accounts (I do this manually to sync)

Just to add, I am typically a light to moderate user throughtout the day to include some texts(GoSMSPro), Phonecalls, Facebook, DXF, Jorte calender, and Browse internet. The most I was able to get in battery was in the pictures that I attached, however just last night I still got 22 hours of battery again. Hope this helps..

spodoc
07-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I want to be on the latest and greatest roms but until I find one that matches gummyjar I'll take my outdated os and amazing battery life...

Rubix focused uses gummy jar 2.5 but added some tweaks for speed. It is basically gummy jar 2.5

cory46
07-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Same thing for goes apex rc2/rc1 used same process to build the base as kejar did with gummyjar

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 02:38 PM
So what is it in a roms build that makes battery life so much different from rom to rom? Like apex rc2 has insane battery life compared to ssx.

sent from SSX Droid X

spodoc
07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
So what is it in a roms build that makes battery life so much different from rom to rom? Like apex rc2 has insane battery life compared to ssx.

sent from SSX Droid X

I honestly don't believe half of what read about roms and battery life. These aren't scientific tests under repeatable conditions. So many variables between battle calibration, use, apps, user bias, placebo. How do you even go about quantifying battery life?

If a particular rom got twice the life you'd probably notice it. But apex vs liberty vs ssx. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that there is a perceptible difference

Ok ok so everyone pile on and tell me I'm full of it :)

spodoc
07-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Now stability... that's totally different. That's easy to tell. But when I click on my batt info and it says screen is 50% and call 40%... how is a rom build going to make a difference?

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Ok let me re frase my question. Under same use and both roms battery calabrated what in its programming would make a difference?? I.E. apex rc2 vs ssx.

Put it this way. Cm4dx had low battery live but nightly made that better, so what has been done from the programming stand point that made it better?

sent from SSX Droid X

cory46
07-09-2011, 03:57 PM
All kinds of things. Signal scanning clean up for things like wifi/3g , clean up of code to make it more things more efficient just to name a few

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
All kinds of things. Signal scanning clean up for things like wifi/3g , clean up of code to make it more things more efficient

Ok thanks. Sorry for the dumb question, I just like to learn.

sent from SSX Droid X

cory46
07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
O not dumb at all. If you really want to learn go to the nightlies see the changes implemented and then go to the github and it'll show you the actual code and then you can learn from there... github can be very useful

http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=cdma_shadow

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I honestly don't believe half of what read about roms and battery life. These aren't scientific tests under repeatable conditions. So many variables between battle calibration, use, apps, user bias, placebo. How do you even go about quantifying battery life?

If a particular rom got twice the life you'd probably notice it. But apex vs liberty vs ssx. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that there is a perceptible difference

Ok ok so everyone pile on and tell me I'm full of it :)

Well when cmdx would last 4hr and apex would last 10 under same use and conditions I'd say its a good comparison

sent from SSX Droid X

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 04:02 PM
O not dumb at all. If you really want to learn go to the nightlies see the changes implemented and then go to the github and it'll show you the actual code and then you can learn from there... github can be very useful

Cool, ill check that out.

sent from SSX Droid X

spodoc
07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
All kinds of things. Signal scanning clean up for things like wifi/3g , clean up of code to make it more things more efficient just to name a few

I guess. I still don't see how those things make a difference when my battery usage is 90% calls plus screen. How much can be done to that other 10%? Now for folks that leave the phone in their pocket all day I'm sure there is a lot that can be done. I just don't buy this business that " I got 8 hours on liberty and then switched to apex and got 25 hours "

spodoc
07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Well when cmdx would last 4hr and apex would last 10 under same use and conditions I'd say its a good comparison

sent from SSX Droid X

Well to a sceptic like me, I'd like to see how you kept the conditions the same. Its impossible. Sitting in the same place my signal can go from 3g to 1x. Now if you had two weeks of use where on odd days you use rom 1 and even days rom 2, and then you average all he rom1 days and compare to the average of rom 2 days then we have a comparison.

spodoc
07-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I sound like I'm crabby and trying to argue. I'll let it go. Proceed with the discussion of which rom has the best battery life. Sorry.

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I sound like I'm crabby and trying to argue. I'll let it go. Proceed with the discussion of which rom has the best battery life. Sorry.

No no man I see your point, trust me, when someone says that can go days on the same rom I'm on I'm like yea ok if u don't use the thing.

As for same conditions,mp3 bout 3hours ,web average bout 3hr total a day average 600 text and bout same amount on yahoo, dxf, maybe 4 10 minute calls, that's about average for me in 8 hours. Apex would have 40% left and cm would have needed charged by lunch.

sent from SSX Droid X

Snow02
07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
600 texts a day? Are you a teenage girl by chance?

But still, that'd be 18,000 a month. There's no way.

TideFan22
07-09-2011, 07:01 PM
600 texts a day? Are you a teenage girl by chance?

But still, that'd be 18,000 a month. There's no way.

Lol.

3rotorRX8
07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Lmao, ill scan a bill..and that's just average. I have one thread that I just cleared out at 6:00 and its at 140 right now. No one said pimping was easy ;)

sent from SSX Droid X

cleopete
07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
hold on .. I had to read this a few times... you mean to tell me a verizon employee actually uninstalled a task killer and didn't try to install one? HOLY POOP! this seriously kind of made my evening since the indians are getting smoked by the stankees.....

I'm impressed a VZ employee knew how to uninstall an app, I hope they at least glowered sullenly when they did it. When I was in a few months ago replacing a case, I asked about Gingerbread (just making smalltalk) and they had no idea what I was talking about.

blackwater
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
My battery life is terrible on SSX I get 3 hrs on a full charge and that is not using the phone.

3rotorRX8
07-10-2011, 11:23 PM
My battery life is terrible on SSX I get 3 hrs on a full charge and that is not using the phone.

Might be time for a new battery ...have you calabrated battery yet???

blackwater
07-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Yes I have calibrated the battery several times. Battery last all day on froyo. Its the rom

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bkdodger
07-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Yes I have calibrated the battery several times. Battery last all day on froyo. Its the rom

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I saw your previous post and I agree battery life was better when on froyo (rubix for example for me)..but something is wrong for you to get 3hrs ..I use mine alot and if on a busy day still 7 or so on charge..if nothing you can tell from running test I would try to reflash rom.

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

Shaun
07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Not sure how u guys are only getting 3-7 hours with ssx.. I get 24 hours easy with moderate use.. I've been texting, phone calls, took some pictures, downloaded couple apps, browsing internet, and using a couple of widgets on home screen.. I've tweaked a few things and brightness is very low.. If your only getting 3-7 hours then you may want to recheck ur settings and see what's running or perhaps u have a bad battery? Here's a couple more pics from my usage today..

anthonyDrOiDx
07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
i have a droid x i have a extended battery with juice defender ultimate and my battery runs all day inless im constantly on the internet or market

dschwartz0815
07-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Stock battery, and custom settings ....
Only charged for maybe 20 minutes in the car every other day

Dekorath
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Finally got some readings stock gb 100%-15% 4hours 27min web browsing video watching 2 hours dxf 1 hour and slacker maybe 30 min...

Wanting liquidx after reading all the things it has to offer sbf here I go wish me luck.