PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please define advanced restore?

LiveToPonder
07-03-2011, 08:32 AM
So, knock on wood, thus far in my ROM journey I've not yet had to go back. At the advisement of my peers, I currently have nandroids of all my pre-change stops, but have never used one. I know where to go in CW, but am wondering what advanced restore does, that backup/restore menu doesnt?

For example, I have a nandroid of a well performing .596 DeOdex w/ BB 1.2, Transparent market and gmail, and some stuff frozen. If i decided I wanted to go back there, I know I would wipe all, reflash .596 DeOdexed and then...

Restore or advanced restore? Why and why not? Thanks in advance guys, I know ya'll are gonna pounce on this one...;-)

Edit: This question is coming at the heels of a now unstoppable force pushing me towards SSX

HarleyDude
07-03-2011, 08:36 AM
advanced restore allows restoration of individual partitions, e.g. data only partition or system only partition. I've used it to restore the data partition (my apps and settings) on a re-flashed install of a ROM.

If you have a well performing system, you'd use the full restore. If you have a glitchy system, but you spent time installing and setting up your apps, you'd want to re-install the system, wipe all, then only advance restore of data, as the glitches will most likely originate in the system

LiveToPonder
07-03-2011, 08:40 AM
advanced restore allows restoration of individual partitions, e.g. data only partition or system only partition. I've used it to restore the data partition (my apps and settings) on a re-flashed install of a ROM.

Got it! ( I think) So advanced restore, will allow selection of partition within an individual nandroid? Not so much for going back in the past, but for troubleshooting an existing build for example?

Thanks for the lightning fast reply btw HD, you have no idea how bad I wanna try SSX. I am on a hot streak for flashing successes thus far, thanks to this forum's help, I wanna keep my streak going ;-)

HarleyDude
07-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Got it! ( I think) So advanced restore, will allow selection of partition within an individual nandroid? Not so much for going back in the past, but for troubleshooting an existing build for example?

Thanks for the lightning fast reply btw HD, you have no idea how bad I wanna try SSX. I am on a hot streak for flashing successes thus far, thanks to this forum's help, I wanna keep my streak going ;-)

1.yup, you got it
2. go for SSX, you can always go back (but you won't!)

popcenator
07-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Do it LTP, great ROM.

on the move..

smalltowngirl13
07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
LTP... you won't regret it, I don't think. Good luck!

~~ sent from my x~~

Bkdodger
07-03-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm feeling a flash coming over you. ...LTP the forces are taking over. ..haha

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

LiveToPonder
07-03-2011, 10:08 AM
@ HD BK and STG....oh the desire is a churning, lol, Wulf has another theme near done, I feel so obligated to flash it. oh to be torn between ROMs. how ironic is it that Chevy's SSX is the Cadillac of ROMs? hehehe

Bkdodger
07-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Haha. .vrooommm either way we are waiting on you when you are ready. ..

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..