PDA

View Full Version : CM7 or SSX?

Shaun
07-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Currently I am on AOSP LibertyGB .8 and looking to switch to one of these roms. I've read about known problems with both, but looking for a stable rom with more customizing options and themes. I was hoping for some input to which is better? Thanks!

mopar-x
07-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm on cm7 and this thing is vary stable ... I hear ssx is just as stable.

skennelly
07-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I just came from cm4dx to the rom your currently on. I'd say stay put. Cm is nice, but battery life is awful. I had to charge twice a day plus overnight. Camcorder doesn't work. It lagged a lot/got real slow. I switched to aosp liberty yesterday morning, charged full, wiped batt stats. I still have 60% battery right now! This rom is fantastic!

http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefd00cd-65a2-373b.jpg

Zog
07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Extended battery? Bs u get 32+ hours. My best is 26 hours with it on sleep mode for one night, on v8.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v8

skennelly
07-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Never said I got 32 hours. Obviously if you would look at my time stam, you'd realize that that was overnight. Cm4dx would have died If it wasn't on the charger overnight. I have no desire to purchase an extended battery, imo they make the phone to bulky. When I first switched to gb, I could get 2 days on a charge with very limited use. With normal use, 24 hours.

skennelly
07-02-2011, 04:05 PM
No extended battery.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefd00cd-880d-3085.jpghttp://tapatalk.com/mu/aefd00cd-881f-5790.jpg

Again, not a ton of use since I'm at the lake today, but cm7 won't come close to this.

dracon6ai
07-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I say stick to liberty .8. At least till they refine CM4DX a little more. Just a side note on battery, I wanted to see just how long I could keep it going and after shutting data / gps / wifi / BT etc etc off I ended up going one full work day (still calling and texting people) with 80% battery left at 10pm. I took it off the charger at 6am. I was hoping to make it 4-5 days on 1 charge but my wife plugged the phone in later that night. I missed web and Facebook too much to try again. Lol

Shaun
07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm anxious to try them, but from what I am hearing it isn't worth it to sbf back just yet? Any word on when they might come out of beta and release a more stable version?

As far as the battery is concerned, I get descent battery life with LibertyGB, but nothing too exciting. I'd say I probably get about 20-30 hours on LibertyGB depending on my usage. It still doesn't compare to what I had on rooted stock GB, which would be 36-48 hours worth. I'm a moderate user, so take that for whats its worth.

Dvan
07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm using the 3500mah gorilla gadgets battery and with cm7 I would barley get a full days use without needing to recharge. The battery life with ssx seems to be slightly better but I haven't been using it as much latley. The battery life issue is almost enough to make me swit h bck to liberty or apex.....almost. I need to keep using ssx/cm7 so I can tether a few times a month without motos gb rom indicating I'm doing so lol

Sent from my Xoom using Droid X Forums

Artisticsoul79
07-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I just came from cm4dx to the rom your currently on. I'd say stay put. Cm is nice, but battery life is awful. I had to charge twice a day plus overnight. Camcorder doesn't work. It lagged a lot/got real slow. I switched to aosp liberty yesterday morning, charged full, wiped batt stats. I still have 60% battery right now! This rom is fantastic!

http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefd00cd-65a2-373b.jpg

Impressive! I was on AOSP Liberty but noticed battery life was not as good.. What did you do to save battery life?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Zog
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Never said I got 32 hours. Obviously if you would look at my time stam, you'd realize that that was overnight. Cm4dx would have died If it wasn't on the charger overnight. I have no desire to purchase an extended battery, imo they make the phone to bulky. When I first switched to gb, I could get 2 days on a charge with very limited use. With normal use, 24 hours.

Yesterday morning to 13:39 today is not 16 hours. And if you get 16 hrs to 50%, around 32 hours is to be assumed.****

God people are so smart these days, its shocking how stupid the rest of us really are..
/endsarcasm

***MOD EDIT

JNEHAMA
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I have run both SSX and CM7. I found that both are very fast and clean roms once you have a good install. They are stable in the sense that you know what you will not have for awhile : camcorder, native video playback and long battery life (although SSX is getting better each day I'm on it.) The rest is reliable with the added patches and the customization simply cannot be beat! If you can live with those limitations and take no short cuts in the install you will be happy. If not the definitely wait.

popcenator
07-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Let's keep it civil, watch the language.

Zog
07-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks dad. Sorry if anyones easily offended.

Edit:
I dont even see browser, voice calls, or messaging lol. Idle is high and display is avg to low. I guess smart phones are only good for checking ur 2 facebook friends. I can see why it 'supposedly' lasts.. its never used.

popcenator
07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks dad. Sorry if anyones easily offended.

Really?

Bkdodger
07-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Thread has been edited. .let me remind everyone of the forum guidelines. ...

Sent from elGato's X..
My X changes daily..

Xponentially Better
07-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Ssx

HarleyDude
07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Yes, back to OP original question.
SSX
I ran cm7 for a couple weeks before switching to SSX last week, which I've now had a chance to put thru it's paces.
Personally prefer SSX by quite a bit, but personal preferences differ.
Nice thing about the 2 you are asking about, once you get set up on one, make a nandroid and you can restore back to it from the other. I tested restoring both ways, worked perfectly

smalltowngirl13
07-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Ssx

+1...SSX

~~ sent from my x~~

Shaun
07-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Yes, back to OP original question.
SSX
I ran cm7 for a couple weeks before switching to SSX last week, which I've now had a chance to put thru it's paces.
Personally prefer SSX by quite a bit, but personal preferences differ.
Nice thing about the 2 you are asking about, once you get set up on one, make a nandroid and you can restore back to it from the other. I tested restoring both ways, worked perfectly

Thanks for the input, I'm trying out all other roms at the moment, both blur and blurless and haven't really found anything that I like so far. I've heard a lot of great things about SSX, but I think I'm going to wait it out a few more days til it's tweaked a bit more.. Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

kochoid
07-04-2011, 07:40 AM
IMO ssx is a little cheesy looking. But, you can theme it easily and get rid of the cheese blue throughout. I've been on ssx twice. The first time my fone crashed within hours. The second time it was really laggy. Been on cm7 twice as well. Both times were OK, but had some launcher lag which really bugged me.
It seems that my fone runs best on lib. 8 , so I,m sticking with it until the rcs roll out for ssx and/or cm4dx and/or justice.

That being said, i say try 'em out to see if yo dx likes them. If it does, then you'll b having some fun.

stryker
07-04-2011, 08:14 AM
I'm been running ssx for a couple days now. I came from aosp liberty, which the battery life was really good for me. 24 hours with the display being on almost 4 hours. Ssx is working awsome for me too! Battery life isn't that bad. I'm running battery saver profile in quickclock and set cpu have my normal profiles I run going. I have no lag what so ever. I'm using v6 super charger scripts also. I did not sbf when installing ssx, just followed the directions. If you like to change the look of your phone up all time, ssx or cm7 has so many themes. plus in ssx everything works. Camera camcorder, with patches of course, but they still work. I would say try them both out. If you don't like, try another rom. All in all no mater what one you choose is better then unrooted gb.

SSX is on my droidX!

Ampclamp
07-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Ran CM7 for almost two weeks. SSX definitely a notch above.

DX SSX

dschwartz0815
07-04-2011, 08:47 AM
I know I have to SBF to get cm7 but I really don't want to do that unless cm7 is really worth it. And SSX was soo confusing to follow and unless its worth it I don't want to risk messing up the instructions and brick the X. So if you had to choose what would it be cm7 or ssx ? Btw right now I'm on .596 rooted clocked to 1.35Ghz and running pretty good.

B3N
07-04-2011, 08:52 AM
AOSP LibertyGB .8 very stable so far. ( i put it on yesterday ) orange xl aosp theme very nice.
cm7 is a lil too buggy for now. no sure about ssx

HarleyDude
07-04-2011, 08:55 AM
SSX
Easy and quick. You can SBF to froyo, flash the SSX ROM in cwr, (no prep zip file needed coming from froyo), and you're on SSX. Flash the 2 patches, the the camcorder fix here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/chevyno1/31282-camcorder-fix.html

kradebaugh
07-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm staying on CM7. Tried SSX and the theme I like to use, Minimal Bread caused my notifications to have a white background and white text.

Snipples007
07-04-2011, 09:00 AM
SSX is my favorite ROM that I've flashed. It is blazing fast, completely stable, even the battery life is great. Definitely worth the sbf!

griz.droidx
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
SSX is my favorite ROM that I've flashed. It is blazing fast, completely stable, even the battery life is great. Definitely worth the sbf!

Just how great is your battery life on SSX? What apps are you using that might pull data/how do you use your phone? I mean weather apps/facebook/twitter/news apps etc?

Snipples007
07-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm getting 10-12 hours with texting, calls, Twitter refreshing every 10 minutes, Gmail on auto sync, and G+ on auto sync. I am constantly playing music through PlayerPro as well, usually 2-3 hours everyday.

griz.droidx
07-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Thats pretty good man considering your usage, I'm usually not anywhere that I don't have a charger. But I hate having to keep it on charge because I've read that it's bad for the battery.

abqnm
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I came from ApeX 2.0 which was 1000x times better than stock. It was fast and had great battery life. Then I installed SSX. Wow. I thought ApeX was fast, but there is no comparison between SSX and ApeX or worse, stock. I really liked SSX, but I had to change to CM7. I find that the screen on the DX isn't used as efficiently as possible, so I like to modify the LCD density in the build.prop to 200. When I did this on SSX, changing any settings on the phone required a reboot to take effect and I could not change keyboards at all. Stock density, everything was fine again. This was a deal breaker for now. I am on CM7 (which I have used for months on my OG Droid) and everything is fantastic. Yesterday I got 22 hours from the stock battery to 15%. That is with about 40 emails, 20 min calls, 20 texts, FB and Twitter on 30 min, 2 weather apps refreshing once an hour, and about an hour and a half of local music playback. This is fairly close to what I saw with ApeX. I can sacrifice an hour or two of battery life for the amazing speed.

Shaun
07-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I came from ApeX 2.0 which was 1000x times better than stock. It was fast and had great battery life. Then I installed SSX. Wow. I thought ApeX was fast, but there is no comparison between SSX and ApeX or worse, stock. I really liked SSX, but I had to change to CM7. I find that the screen on the DX isn't used as efficiently as possible, so I like to modify the LCD density in the build.prop to 200. When I did this on SSX, changing any settings on the phone required a reboot to take effect and I could not change keyboards at all. Stock density, everything was fine again. This was a deal breaker for now. I am on CM7 (which I have used for months on my OG Droid) and everything is fantastic. Yesterday I got 22 hours from the stock battery to 15%. That is with about 40 emails, 20 min calls, 20 texts, FB and Twitter on 30 min, 2 weather apps refreshing once an hour, and about an hour and a half of local music playback. This is fairly close to what I saw with ApeX. I can sacrifice an hour or two of battery life for the amazing speed.

Wow, that's pretty good battery considering its CM7! Haven't heard too many great things as far as battery life goes on CM7 when compared to Liberty or apex, but that's about what I got on AOSP LibertyGB battery with moderate use. I've heard from others that SSX is even better with battery than CM7! Can anyone confirm that?

onlyred
07-04-2011, 03:24 PM
As a disclaimer, I have no SSX experience, but I came from Apex 2.0 (loved it) to CM7. I added the GAPPS, then the gps fix then the camera fix. I haven't flashed a single nightly. Not one lol My time off charge was initially hideous. After the first 3 charges, I did a full blown battery calibration and it's vastly improved. It's nowhere near where I think it will be when it comes out as RC but it works for me for the moment. I have chargers at home, work and in the car and she usually makes it about 10-12 hours. I'm not very fanatical about shutting things off, preventing them from running or monitoring what's using battery, so if I cared enough, I could tweak things, uninstall things, yada yada. The really cool settings, the theme switcher on CM7 and sheer speed of my phone at this point are keeping me on CM7. I am having the occasional annoyance of programs not getting along (LPP is picked on by CM frequently lol) so I would not consider it as stable as Apex, which was amazingly stable, but it's not enough to push me off CM. It's pretty and it's fast as heck. :D

abqnm
07-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Wow, that's pretty good battery considering its CM7! Haven't heard too many great things as far as battery life goes on CM7 when compared to Liberty or apex, but that's about what I got on AOSP LibertyGB battery with moderate use. I've heard from others that SSX is even better with battery than CM7! Can anyone confirm that?

Today so far with similar usage (maybe a few less emails, but not many) I am sitting at 12 hours and 68% remaining. Also today for some reason the phone will not go into deep sleep state and I have the stock clock speed right now. This means it has been running at 300MHz constantly. So if I can figure out the deep sleep issue (it worked yesterday, so my guess it is an app at fault), I should get even better battery life! I guess I would say which ROM is a matter of personal preference. ApeX is awesome and you can still make it a little blurry if you want. CM7 is fantastic and SSX has some extra options. Fix a few bugs in SSX and I would switch back in a heartbeat.

ChevyNo1
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm staying on CM7. Tried SSX and the theme I like to use, Minimal Bread caused my notifications to have a white background and white text.

You know with SSX that you can change the text color eh?

routzong
07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
+1 for SSX. I've been running it for a week or so and have found it to be quick, smooth, easily customizable and reliable (known issues aside). However, I have not yet tried the Liberty AOSP ROM yet, so I can't comment on whether its better than that or not.

HarleyDude
07-06-2011, 12:08 PM

You know with SSX that you can change the text color eh?

Sounds like you have no reason not to switch now, esp since you can nandroid back and forth

kradebaugh
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Really? Okay cool thanks! Does the camcorder/camera fix work on SSX?
(I know camera already works mostly just wondering bout camcorder)

HarleyDude
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Really? Okay cool thanks! Does the camcorder/camera fix work on SSX?
(I know camera already works mostly just wondering bout camcorder)

Yup, sure does

kradebaugh
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Yay. I love SSX! Is there a way to change the colors in the marketplace?

dschwartz0815
07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I was running apex rc2 for the longest time. It was da bomb fo sho....lol. But then decided to flash all the SSX files and from the firsf boot it has been flying. I also ran the supercharge script and added even more balance to the system. Only thing I'm having problems with is that sometimes I have to press the back or home or menu key multiple time b4 I get an action from the hard keys. But other than that it runs smooth but I also don't like the blue market, I would like it back to stocm green.