PDA

View Full Version : What is the best ROM for Droid X Gingerbread .596

vaphinfan13
07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I have tried Liberty 0.8 and am currently running Darkslide. I haven't tried any of the Drew Garen ROMs yet because he's releasing updates soon (Hateraid 2.0 and Broodcomb 4.5). From what I've read, Apex and CM7 seem very buggy right now so I'm waiting on them to get a little cleaner. All opinions are welcome. I just want a consensus to help decide what to try next.

Detonation
07-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I first tried Apex RC2 and it was definitely fast and lightweight, but there were some Blur aspects I still wanted and I had problems putting all of them back on. So I switched to Liberty 0.8 and have been satisfied since then. Currently using the Gingercomb theme.

Dloc
07-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I've tried liberty 08, hateraid, apex rc 2 but went back to zombiestomped 1.71. it drops you back to 595 but I've had very good battery life on ZS. If I just use it for calls and messaging the battery lasts two days before recharging. with heavy use any where from 8 to 20 hours. going to try dsx next, have the feeling I'll end up back to ZS

illegalsmile
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Liberty v0.8 here and so far it seems to be working well!

raymond513
07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Ive tried Liberty v8, Apex, and Aosp Liberty and I would have to say Aosp Liberty is my favorite. It really combines the cleaness of apex and the customization of liberty. And Apex isn't really buggy actually.

Zog
07-06-2011, 06:25 PM
There's only 1 option for Hdmi users. Liberty ftw.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v9

jmorton10
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
There's only 1 option for Hdmi users. Liberty ftw. Gingercomb :: Liberty v9 That's why I'm using Liberty (I use HDMI every day). I like Liberty so much I would probably use it anyway however.

as_daylight_dies
07-07-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm a big hdmi user as well but had a lot of force reboot issues on both liberty 0.8 and Apex RC1. AOSP liberty seems to me to be the best "all around" rom with it's super fast speed, customization, and stability and I have had no issues with reboots since on AOSP liberty. The one pitfall being no HDMI! I have kept a backup of lib 0.8 for hdmi use but I'm not going to lie it's really annoying having to do a backup and 2 restores just to wantch a movie =/ If you don't use the HDMI though, go with AOSP Rom Mod for liberty 0.8

Sent at the speed of light from my liberated DX

kochoid
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I flashed kevlar this am....nothing special

....and too much red!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dennyjones
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I use to run Apex but I'm loving Chevy.

cmospyder
07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I was on CM7 (really liked it), SSX (liked it also) Liberty v0.08 but I always seem to come back to Liberty v0.07 running Blue Bread.

griz.droidx
07-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Okay, I've ran ZombieStomped, Apex beta & RC2, Liberty from .5 to .8, CM7, and R2D2 from the Kanger. I will never run another rom from that guy. Ever. People work hard and put a lot of time in to their roms, its not right for someone to steal their work w/o permission. Any to answer your question, I really liked ZombieStomped after renaming a few .apk's. Performance was good, customizer worked excellent. A very good blur rom. And when you get it even more debloated and freeze a few things. It is a work of art. Apex and Lib are also two really good roms, I'd recommend them to anyone wanting something a little more stripped down. I personally loved LIb.8 as well, good battery life, Good performace, and way customizable. Apex ran very well too, it is an aosp rom tho. Then I hit nightly 0 from CM7. This rom is the shiznit. Just judging from seat of the past feel, it feels faster than anything else I've used even without overclocking or undervolting for now. A coworker of mine recently bought the X2 and asked me how bad my phone lagged. I told him none, there was no lag. From switching desktops (home screens) with cube animation, to the 4d animated drawer. It's blazing fast. My coworker couldn't believe that my X was leaps and bounds faster than his X2. Then I went to preaching on rooting and perhaps trying to find a good rom for it. Id probably recommend Zombie for a blur rom, Apex or Aosp LIb for an Aosp rom, or Liberty for customizations and for a bit of blur, just run the customizer in settings and you can add/remove apps you want/dont want. If you have any questions let me know..

Griz

Oh yeah, Darkslide X has a huge following, so it must be a great 596 rom. It has a huge following. I was really surprised at how many people were using this rom., I haven't tried it yet, but look forward to in the future. Not sure what themes are out there for it yet. I'm running nightly 20 CM7 and its been performing beautifully. Please it too is very customizable, and to get many of the features that are included with this rom on 596 or any other 596 rom for that matter would need to install a whole horde of apps to get the same functionality that is built into CM7. That and its performance is why I am staying on CM7. And there's a ton of themes available for the included T-mobile theme engine. You can't go wrong with CM7. My overall ranking wouldl probably go like this:

1. CM7
2. Liberty for GB, .8 .9 etc, you can get .8 for free elsewhere legally.
3. Aosp Lib, or Apex RC2
4. ZombieStomped
5. 506 deodexed, rooted, then freeze a ton of apps.

Shaun
07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree with the above statement, and my ranking is similiar except mine is this:

1. SSX - (similiar to CM7, but better)
2. AOSP Liberty v8 or Apex RC2 - (both very smooth and descent battery life)
3. Liberty v7, v8, v9 - (good choice for starting off)
4. Darkslide X - (too much bloat but very stable and smooth)
5. Deodexed .596 - (Xcelerated is a good rom, most bloat is gone)

as_daylight_dies
07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
You guys are really great for taking the time to post so much detail about your own personal user experiences. Thank you.

I would like your opinions on why u have chosen SSX and CM7 as your favs and here's why. I have only tried Apex RC1, Liberty v0.8 and AOSP Liberty and have been disappointed by one thing or another with each: on Liberty 0.8 I had many issues with reboots. My phone would reboot at minimum twice per day. On AOSP Liberty (which is what I am currently running) the reboots went away and my phone is blazingly fast and very stable but no HDMI. On Apex RC1 I had both the reboot issue and no HDMI... currently I'm staying on AOSP liberty with a backup of Liberty 0.8 for HDMI use but it's starting to get annoying having to flash back and forth... Looking for an AOSP feeling rom with the bare minimum blur for HDMI.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LiveToPonder
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
This is a great thread! If im not too late, I am super pleased with Darkslide X, both themed and non. I've not done too much Roming at all, but i dig like. 596deodex on bluebread 1.2 and have since moved to Darkslide X with Full Darkslide Theme, i am very happy

Dloc
07-10-2011, 03:13 AM
ok I had darkslide on for a bit but went back to the zs. As I stated before zombiestomped has to be my fav blur rom. The batt life was decent on dsx but on zs it is better. I would say if you want a blur rom you cant go wrong with zombiestomped.

Sent from my ZombieStomped DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Divey1130
07-11-2011, 04:10 PM
I have just sbf'ed back to stock and am downloading the 2 part zip files ready to flash. My question is what rom is the most stable as of now to use. I'm not to savvy on this stuff but learning everyday and want to try something new. I was previuosly on the prerooted gb for about 2 months now and to me was way better than stock 2.2. I'm just looking for something that already has most if not all of the bugs worked out to try something new.
Thanks

Terry

as_daylight_dies
07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Blurry or Blurless?

Divey1130
07-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Blurry or Blurless?

Sorry but not sure what that means. If I was to guess from reading on here I would think something like moto blur or not.

Terry

Shaun
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Sorry but not sure what that means. If I was to guess from reading on here I would think something like moto blur or not.

Terry

The two best roms right now is SSX and CM7 (Love SSX!). However, both of these are blurless and have a few issues but overall stable and very smooth!.. If your just starting off with roms, I would suggest trying APEX RC2, Liberty v8, or AOSP Liberty.. If you like a blur rom similiar to stock gingerbread then I would try Darkslide X.. All these roms are smooth and stable, and have good battery life!

as_daylight_dies
07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
What he said

audiophizile13
07-12-2011, 12:48 AM
I've only tried liberty .8, apex and AOSP lib. Aosp blows the doors off the other 2 in terms of speed and battery life imo. After reading all this about ssx and cm7 i might have to try one but if there is any sacrifice of speed or battery life (the main reason why I've gone through 9 roms) I'll go back to aosp liberty. I'm loving it just wish people themed faster haha

Shaun
07-12-2011, 06:28 AM
I've only tried liberty .8, apex and AOSP lib. Aosp blows the doors off the other 2 in terms of speed and battery life imo. After reading all this about ssx and cm7 i might have to try one but if there is any sacrifice of speed or battery life (the main reason why I've gone through 9 roms) I'll go back to aosp liberty. I'm loving it just wish people themed faster haha

I was in the same boat u were in audiophizile, I loved a AOSP liberty and was worried about switching to another rom like SSX, but once I did I never looked back.. SSX is hands down the best rom I've tried and I will never go back to the others.. Its super smooth and I love all the customizing tweaks you can do.. Some complain about battery, but I still get 24 hours with mine which was the same on aosp lib.. make a backup and try it out.. I doubt u will regret it..

droidvicx
07-12-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm on lib aosp now.llllloooovvvee it. Jrummy did great as always. Flashed the skynet theme and well Awesome.

audiophizile13
07-15-2011, 07:11 AM
See what you made me do Shaun???? I put SSX on in place of AOSP and... I absolutely love it so far. Don't know about the battery life yet cuz I just put it on last night but it's actually faster and wayyyyy more customizable. I really enjoy the render effect "N1 calibrated cool" I highly recommend any DX owner running cm7 or ssx to try it. Makes the screen look much more natural. So, thank you very much for pointing me in the ssx direction. If battery life is good I wont donate a beer to Chevy, I'll donate a 6 pack!

Shaun
07-16-2011, 04:12 AM
See what you made me do Shaun???? I put SSX on in place of AOSP and... I absolutely love it so far. Don't know about the battery life yet cuz I just put it on last night but it's actually faster and wayyyyy more customizable. I really enjoy the render effect "N1 calibrated cool" I highly recommend any DX owner running cm7 or ssx to try it. Makes the screen look much more natural. So, thank you very much for pointing me in the ssx direction. If battery life is good I wont donate a beer to Chevy, I'll donate a 6 pack!

Haha, glad to see you are enjoying it as much as I am.. I even tried the new Liquid X rom, and I don't think it's as smooth as SSX, so I ended up switching back to SSX =) I too use the N1 cool render effect.. As far as the battery goes, I can get 24 hours with light to moderate use.. with moderate to heavy use I get about 15 hours, so I think it's manageable, but that will differ for everyone.. Can't wait to see Chevy's new updated version!

YvesSaintYuki
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I've only tried Darkslide X and it's pretty cool.. I plan on trying others later.. Let you guys know how they are..

audiophizile13
07-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm an extremely heavy user (addicted to moon chaser, researching things online, email, work calls) and I'm getting about 7-9 hours until I'm around 20-40%. That's at least on par with aosp. Maybe slightly better but barely a difference. With the amazing speed, battery life, options, themes, etc. it'll be a hard sell to get me on anything else. I'll stop sucking it off now but it deserves it. Great job chevy. Get ssx!

as_daylight_dies
07-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm an extremely heavy user (addicted to moon chaser, researching things online, email, work calls) and I'm getting about 7-9 hours until I'm around 20-40%. That's at least on par with aosp. Maybe slightly better but barely a difference. With the amazing speed, battery life, options, themes, etc. it'll be a hard sell to get me on anything else. I'll stop sucking it off now but it deserves it. Great job chevy. Get ssx!

Might want to check out Justice

~Sent from my Droid X - Justice has been served

audiophizile13
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I gave justice about 40 hours but couldn't take the battery life. I'd say its 60% of SSX' battery life. Its about as fast and I always like his toolbox but the battery life has been terrible recently (2.0.1 was the last good battery life he's made) and there are no render effects which I enjoy. So I'm back to ssx. Its the best rom I've ever used

Shaun
07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I gave justice about 40 hours but couldn't take the battery life. I'd say its 60% of SSX' battery life. Its about as fast and I always like his toolbox but the battery life has been terrible recently (2.0.1 was the last good battery life he's made) and there are no render effects which I enjoy. So I'm back to ssx. Its the best rom I've ever used

I'm trying this MIUI rom out and I'm still up in the air on whether I like it or not.. It has some nice changes with the themes, but still doesn't beat the smoothness and speed of SSX.. And still not sure on the battery life of MIUI.. seems like I get better battery life on SSX too.. I'm going to give it til the rest of this week.. Hopefully SSX will have an update soon that I can try!

as_daylight_dies
07-28-2011, 01:26 PM

I'm really loving justice but I'm not gonna lie I did notice the battery life is shorter

~Sent from my Droid X - Justice has been served