PDA

View Full Version : FC's due to running out of memory, app shortcuts gone from Homescreen...

LiveToPonder
06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Guys, I'm hoping maybe you can bail me out a jam with my GF's no-root OTA GB issue. Since update, I notice her getting upset by FC's mid-game, mostly Plants vs Zombies and that amazon free game with the cartoon planes from a few days ago. She gets a prompt that says shes out of memory, today the plot thickened a little. She just told me she went to her phone for the first time today, and the apps for the games were missing from her homescreen. She tries to replace them, and they stay grayed out and she cant stick em. Throwing to the trash, is the only thing that gets her out the screen. We have batt pulled once, same issue...Any thoughts may keep my ass out the dog house, thanks in advance.:excited:

cory46
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM
haha your in a bad spot.. dont want to *iss the lady off haha.

try going in and clearing the cache's of either the apps themeselves through settings/applications/manage apps then selecting each app and clear just the cache. data will wipe levels/scores from the game

or boot into recovery (power+home then-once triangle with exclamation point both volume buttons if on ginger and serach if froyo) and wipe the cache from there

without being rooted its really hard to mess with VM heaps and the like and I know some of those popcap games (plants v zombies) can be intensive on the phone

another thing to mention to her is that whenever leaving an app always use the back arrow it will "close" it meaning put it lower on the multitask memory "list" if you hit the home button it will keep it in memory longer

LiveToPonder
06-30-2011, 12:14 PM

try going in and clearing the cache's of either the apps themeselves through settings/applications/manage apps then selecting each app and clear just the cache. data will wipe levels/scores from the game

or boot into recovery (power+home then-once triangle with exclamation point both volume buttons if on ginger and serach if froyo) and wipe the cache from there

without being rooted its really hard to mess with VM heaps and the like and I know some of those popcap games (plants v zombies) can be intensive on the phone

another thing to mention to her is that whenever leaving an app always use the back arrow it will "close" it meaning put it lower on the multitask memory "list" if you hit the home button it will keep it in memory longer

Your the best cory, thanks bud. By and large is memory gapping/leaking an issue on Droids? Tell ya, horrid memory management on BB Storm 1 is how I got here, I've no patience for it...

cory46
06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
well not memory management as a whole for android. Android does a pretty good job its just that the motorola skin they put on top (blur) can cause some clogs in the pipes if things are maintained really well.

LiveToPonder
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
well not memory management as a whole for android. Android does a pretty good job its just that the motorola skin they put on top (blur) can cause some clogs in the pipes if things are maintained really well.

I have been fighting with RAM since I only had 1MB of it, on my Macintosh Plus when I was 8 years old on the Oregon Trail ;-)

dschwartz0815
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
For memory managment use the superchrage v6 script

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

LiveToPonder
06-30-2011, 01:34 PM

totally worked! Angry Birds Seasons was the culprit, lol how clogged is that cache through all those add-ons. thanks again, shes thrilled.