PDA

View Full Version : WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WugFresh
06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Wireless Tethering On GB Simplified
- I packaged new flashable zips for easily patching and unpatching on GB;

Tethering without paying for the service is a VIOLATION of the TOS and accordingly Verizon can suspend your service or seek compensation for the unauthorized use of tethering service. Therefore, use at your own risk! I personally assume NO responsibility whatsoever for anyone's decision to use these file, nor do any of the people listed in the credits. YOUR DEVICE, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

.:Information + Download Links:.
-The patch is for tethering and the unpatch is for removing tethering capabilities

File name: WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch_1.2.zip File size: 487 KB (http://goo-inside.me/devs/WugFresh/WugPacked_GB_Tether/WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch_1.2.zip)

Applies the TBH Patch
Removes /system/app/DataManagerService.apk
Removes database file in /data/data/com.motorola.android.datamanager/databases *
Installs Wireless Tether Beta (version wifi_tether_v3_1-beta11.apk)

Checksums:

CRC-32: 0dc99c19
MD4: fd1e21dad8274dd4fa66982b4ffb23b5
MD5: a2a78a7ea164c0d5ba318189fd95da18
SHA-1: 8a850d072dd24d5b87f2995218cdee53fb516d8a

(http://goo-inside.me/devs/WugFresh/WugPacked_GB_Tether/WugPacked_GB_Tether_Unpatch_1.2.zip)File name: WugPacked_GB_Tether_Unpatch_1.2.zip File size: 206.92 KB (http://goo.gl/p4HaB)

Applies the TBH Unpatch
Re-installs /system/app/DataManagerService.apk
Re-installs the database file in /data/data/com.motorola.android.datamanager/databases *
Uninstalls Wireless Tether Beta (all versions)

Checksums:

CRC-32: 7e29bf8a
MD4: a15aeeee025313bed2efdb509bb18d8d
MD5: 9f5989434ddbd4f3b701236febaa44c8
SHA-1: e952e40e1fdd0325b7dafa155e2c5756399972e0

*You might want to back up your own database file before patching and restore it manually after unpatching... I am not sure it starts working (recording data usage) again unless you factory reset the way its built now...

.:Installation Instructions:.
-To install you need to be on rooted GB (Verizon ONLY):

Open the app Bootstrap (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid2.bootstrap&feature=more_from_developer)
Press 'Bootstrap Recovery' (will have to grant SU permissions if you haven't already)
Press 'Ok'
Press 'Reboot Recovery' and wait for the device to reboot into clockwork mod recovery
Navigate with the volume keys to 'install zip from sdcard' and select it with the camera button
Navigate to 'choose zip from sdcard'
Navigate to wherever you saved the WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch/Unpatch zips and select it
Navigate to 'Yes' and select it
Wait for it to install
Press the power button once shortly to go back to the original menu and select 'reboot system'

**As always, when flashing anything, it is recommended to make a backup first.**

.:Tips/troubleshooting for successful tethering:.
- please try these tips FIRST before posting problems.. thank you:

Turn off autosync (you can do this easily with the stock power widget or any other good toggle widget like Widgetsoid2.x (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2) or Power Control Plus (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.siriusapplications.eclairwidgets))
Toggle your data connection off/on before starting wifi tether to reestablish a fresh 3G connection (alternatively you can toggle airplane mode on/off)
Turn screen timeout and auto screen lock off (to keep screen on while tethering; not sure if this actually helps... but I do it for some reason...)
After starting the wifi tether app, press the home button so that it runs in the background (you should see the little wifi icon in your status bar)
Don't launch or use any apps on your physical device while tethering that use data because it could interrupt your tethering connection
Tethering consumes a lot of battery so it's recommended to keep your phone on the charger while tethering.
With this beta version of wifi tether you shouldn't have to do this; but if you are having problems, try changing CDMA to your specific device (Settings > Change Device-Profile)
With this beta version of wifi tether it should be disabled by default, but either way.. make sure 'Enable Access-Control' is disabled (the DX/D2 kernel doesn't support this feature)
If your computer recognizes the connection but it says limited/no connectivity.. try waiting a few minutes to see if it get's a full connection (sometimes it just takes a little longer)
If that doesn't work try double checking over the other tips (primarily turning off autosync and toggling 3G connection off/on before launching wifi tether again)
If that doesn't work it's possible that the problem is computer side. On Windows try disabling/re-enabling your wireless network adapter:

Open start menu and type: ncpa.cpl and press enter
Right click your wireless network adapter and select disable
Wait for it to disable, then right click it again and select enable
Try establishing a tethering connection again.

If that doesn't work, on windows, try deleting the malfunctioning wireless tether network profile and/or changing the SSID of your hotspot connection in wifi beta

Open start menu and type: manage wireless and press enter
Find the AndroidTether wireless profile, right click it and delete it
To change the SSID of your hotspot in wifi beta: Settings > Change SSID
Try establishing a tethering connection again.

If it still doesn't work please remember that TOGGLING is your biggest friend. Almost all connectivity problems can be solved by simply turning things off and then back on again... so please try every combination of that before you conclude this "isn't working for you."

.:Answers to FAQ's:.

-Please read through these first

"How do I know if the patch worked?"

If you are successfully tethering without getting re-directed to the Verizon TOS page, then it worked. Any thing else you notice (different color icons in status bar..ect) is irrelevant; either it works and you are tethering, or it doesn't work and you are not able to.

"How exactly does this work, and how sure are you that this prevents them tracking me?"

Please remember that if you decide to use this, that you are doing so at your own discretion, however, if you are interested in more info, please refer to post #401 (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/30948-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips-21.html#post452726)

"Can I use the stock moto 3G hotspot app, or do I have to use the Wireless Tether beta app included in this package?"

You can use either one, the choice is yours... using the stock one doesn't make you any more vulnerable to Verizon tracking you then using the Wireless Tether beta app, its the same difference. The only reason the Wireless Tether beta app was included is because it had the highest success rate (regarding consistent and stable connectivity) during beta testing.

"Will this work on the Droid X2, D2G or the D3?"

No, you have to change the values manually with RadioComm, instructions can be found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1182940). I may look into scripting something in AutoIt to automate the entire process, however I don't have a D3 to test it on... we'll see, maybe someone will be willing to beta test for me.

.:Credits:.

TBH, especially MC1, CZ: For the patch: MyDroidWorld for support
Wifi Tether Devs (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/people/list): For the Wifi Tether beta app
Snow02: For isolating the data tracking files on GB
WugFresh: For making this package ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}

dschwartz0815
06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
So this allows us to tether? But can get in trouble with verizon

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

devilsephiroth
06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't like Verizon. Besides what little 3g signal I get isn't worth tethering anyway

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

WugFresh
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
"Unlimited" data plan has 5GB soft cap... if you use discretion, it shouldn't be an issue.. they are going after the top percentile. Some users have been reported to use in excess of 30+ GB a month... some even more than 100GB. <-- that is probably a bad idea. The zip removes data recording on the device, so they wont be able to know if you are tethering... but if you use an excessive amount of data.. they may.

{{ WugFresh }}

dschwartz0815
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Well I have unlimited data so it shouldn't be a problem

dschwartz0815
06-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Just flashed works perfect man thanks!

macpro88
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
As always, good work Wug!

And it can't be stressed enough!!!!

*Tethering for free is theft of service and violates you TOS (Terms of Service) with Verizon! At this point they can do what they want when they want including terminating you contract and giving you that dreaded early termination fee, of which there will almost be no way around getting out of paying it.

Please use at your own risk with modesty!

dschwartz0815
06-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Even if I already have unlimited data?

macpro88
06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Even if I already have unlimited data?

They soft cap at 5GB, anything after that you will notice slower download speeds unless you apply this patch.

Its also considered stealing cause they offer a tether service for a monthly fee, and its in the TOS, going against that is considered stealing, even though we have unlimited data... lets try to stay away from the politics of this matter though....

WugFresh
06-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah. Vzn is trying to pretend that tethering is different even though it's the same as normal data usage; as silly as it is, its irrelevant since you agreed to the TOS. This zip takes away on-device recording though, so they shouldn't be able to tell the difference between normal data usage and tethering (same). The bottom line is; don't abuse it... or simply don't use it at all. But I figured I would put this together to simplify the process for people who did want it.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
They soft cap at 5GB, anything after that you will notice slower download speeds unless you apply this patch.

Its also considered stealing cause they offer a tether service for a monthly fee, and its in the TOS, going against that is considered stealing, even though we have unlimited data... lets try to stay away from the politics of this matter though....

This will not prevent slower speeds... that is the no-throttle hack.. something different. This just allows you to tether, you will still get throttled above 5GB if they want to... unless you use the no-throttle hack (modified services.jar file)

{{ WugFresh }}

kinjo28
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Well almost all in one :D jk. Thanks alot Wug this makes it alot easier.

('-'t)

spodoc
06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Very nice

dschwartz0815
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
By the way WugFresh the undo tether link is not working, atleast on my phone

tchnclfl
06-29-2011, 02:40 PM
By the way WugFresh the undo tether link is not working, atleast on my phone

Not working from my PC either.

WugFresh
06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Just worked perfect for me. Use a good mobile browser like dolphin mini.... ot don't use a crappy browser llike ie on your comp.

Here's another link though:
http://db.tt/Y9Krh2D

{{ WugFresh }}

dschwartz0815
06-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I got it, for some reason i had to turn wifi on and back off the get it to work

chetqwerty
06-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Hey Wug, I'm sure you know this is not as problem free for some as it is for others. I still have a lot of trouble refreshing my blue 3G connection. Actually have to put it to sleep for at least 30 seconds, a simple airplane mode toggle wont bring it back. However, the stock 3G Hotspot app is problem free with the patch. The blue 3G icon comes back immediately after a tether session ends. Finally my question! Is it safe to use the 3G Hotspot app instead of Wireless Tether Beta? I know the database file is gone but do you have any inkling that it may be phoning home at all? Thanks for packing these together by the way. Mine is done manually but downloaded anyway for next time i reset.

BHuber09
06-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Hey man loving this. Awesome job like always!

IKDTIP

TideFan22
06-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Is tethering monitored on 2.3.4 cm7 or SSX like it is on 2.3.3? And if so I'm assuming this will work on either of these two roms?

My phone is Simply Stunning!!!

3rotorRX8
06-30-2011, 03:11 AM
Is tethering monitored on 2.3.4 cm7 or SSX like it is on 2.3.3? And if so I'm assuming this will work on either of these two roms?

+1 I'd like to know also

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Droid X Forums

WugFresh
06-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Hey Wug, I'm sure you know this is not as problem free for some as it is for others. I still have a lot of trouble refreshing my blue 3G connection. Actually have to put it to sleep for at least 30 seconds, a simple airplane mode toggle wont bring it back. However, the stock 3G Hotspot app is problem free with the patch. The blue 3G icon comes back immediately after a tether session ends. Finally my question! Is it safe to use the 3G Hotspot app instead of Wireless Tether Beta? I know the database file is gone but do you have any inkling that it may be phoning home at all? Thanks for packing these together by the way. Mine is done manually but downloaded anyway for next time i reset.

Yeah, you can use the stock 3G hotspot app.. same deal. I just like the wireless tether beta app because it has a widget and works well for me, but the stock app will function the same and will not be able to tip off vzn.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM

No, tethering is not monitored on those ROMs, but you can still use my zip anyway (it should work on any GB based ROM). When it tries to delete the data tracking app and database and its not there, it just keeps going, patches your phone and installs the wireless tether beta; if it is there on whatever GB ROM your flashing it to, then it deletes those... works either way. However, I wouldn't use my Unpatch zip on those ROMs because that zip will actually install the data tracking app and database onto the phone. In that case, just use the TBH unpatch zip, which you can grab here:
Tethering Repository (folder) (http://www.megaupload.com/?f=DTWZM3QV)

{{ WugFresh }}

3rotorRX8
06-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Awesome, thanks Wug!

WugFresh
06-30-2011, 06:34 AM
No problem. ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}

Asharad
06-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Is tethering monitored on 2.3.4 cm7 ?

No. To reiterate WugFrush's statement, CM7 is already without the datamanager apk and database. And the tether app works just fine without need for a tether patch. Not that I'm tethering..... I already have 2 ISPs in my home (One is satellite, the other is a 20GB 3G plan from Verizon al a Millenicom).

WugFresh
06-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Oh..thanks, I didn't know that it didn't even need to be patched. Cool.

{{ WugFresh }}

snowboardwcu
06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
SSX comes with wireless tether and works like a charm. sorry gingerbread, you're out. SSX takes CM7 to a whole new level.

but thanks Wug, this is great. nice work.

eazyp79
07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
i had to turn on airplane mode then turn 3g back on to get wifi tether to work. someone mentioned wifi works too, but haven't tried it. this was the key for me to update to GB from apex 1.4.1. thanks wug.

Vidfinnx
07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah ssx rules

sent from Droid X
Ssx 2.0 Beta

Zog
07-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Ty wug and snow. Well done.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v8

arikara
07-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks will use with discretion, but the blue wifi still comes up and then goes away? Is that normal?

mrclean2828
07-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Thx Wug

WugFresh
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks will use with discretion, but the blue wifi still comes up and then goes away? Is that normal?

Yeah, that's cool.

{{ WugFresh }}

pstgh
07-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Wug-

Can you post which folders these two files reside in (on a dx) so that I can check my phone to see if I have them or not- I'm assuming I do and I might want to try removing them.

As to this entire issue- I really believe that these carriers are going to soon realize that stopping people from this type of use of the data feed is more trouble than just charging you for a certain amount of data/month period (you use the data on whichever or as many devices as you want). The only problem VZW faces in the transition is that they have grandfathered many of us in this "unlimited" category, and there are always people who will abuse it. In the meantime, I personally think using > 5gb/mo will raise a lot of flags. There are numerous data usage trackers available in the market- I use 3g watchdog.

7Chris.Crash
07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much!!!!

Mike7143
07-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Any update on the

"*You might want to back up your own database file before patching and restore it manually after unpatching... I am not sure it starts working (recording data usage) again unless you factory reset the way its built now... I am not sure why..."

part of the OP?

brandonfish
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
THANKS WUGFRESH FOR YOUR HARD WORK!!! Just linked to this in my tethering guide (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/30698-guide-wireless-tethering-your-own-risk-2.html).

WugFresh
07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Wug-

Can you post which folders these two files reside in (on a dx) so that I can check my phone to see if I have them or not- I'm assuming I do and I might want to try removing them.

As to this entire issue- I really believe that these carriers are going to soon realize that stopping people from this type of use of the data feed is more trouble than just charging you for a certain amount of data/month period (you use the data on whichever or as many devices as you want). The only problem VZW faces in the transition is that they have grandfathered many of us in this "unlimited" category, and there are always people who will abuse it. In the meantime, I personally think using > 5gb/mo will raise a lot of flags. There are numerous data usage trackers available in the market- I use 3g watchdog.

data\data\com.motorola.android.datamanager\databas es\DataManager.db

system\app\DataManagerService.apk

Regarding the "issue" of tethering... I tend to agree with you but for the purpose of this thread I rather just keep the discussion pertaining to these particular zips (don't need any controversy in this thread... just a download location). Using a data usage tracker app for personal record keeping may be a good idea... however it also may drain your battery a bit.. those apps run actively in memory. Using less than 5GB is probably a good idea, usage is at everyone's own discretion.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
07-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Any update on the

"*You might want to back up your own database file before patching and restore it manually after unpatching... I am not sure it starts working (recording data usage) again unless you factory reset the way its built now... I am not sure why..."

part of the OP?

Yeah.. I think I know why, the database file I was restoring was a blank one.. everyone has a unique subid... so I really need my patch zip backup your personal database file and then make the unpatch zip restore it to truly make the unpatch zip an "all-in-one"... I have to write a script that does that. I will update these soon.

{{ WugFresh }}

pstgh
07-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the locations of those files.

You're pretty confident the phone will operate / function correctly without those files?

If you remove them, does the os just recreate them if they are not present?

Thanks again- I'll try backing them up and removing them to see what happens.

Edit: I guess another way to ask that question is- Would just renaming the files *.bak be sufficient?

buzzf16
07-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Sorry if this is a basic question, but I think I successfully flashed the update, but when I tether, the VZW notification that says "tethering or hotspot active." Is that normal or did the flash not take correctly?

pstgh
07-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Well....is it working properly or no?

thewheel
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I flashed Wug's all-in-one patch and the Wireless Tether Beta and native 3g hotspot feature would allow me to connect but blocked internet feeds. I then tried the old Wireless Tether 2.0.7 and it's working perfectly.

I'm certainly not an authority, but everything I've read says that it's normal. It pops up every time I activate my WT 2.0.7

thewheel
07-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Well....is it working properly or no?

I flashed Wug's all-in-one patch and the Wireless Tether Beta and native 3g hotspot feature would allow me to connect but blocked internet feeds. I then tried the old Wireless Tether 2.0.7 and it's working perfectly.

DonKilluminati
07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
i applied this patch, used wifi tether, and it worked. but i also had problems using 3G on my phone after turning tether off (turn on airplane mode, turn it back off, turn wifi on, turn it back off and then it would be back to normal.) i then used wireless tether 2.0.7 and it worked perfectly. vzw shouldnt detect im using tethering no matter which app i use for tethering, correct?

TMFGO45
07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
i applied this patch, used wifi tether, and it worked. but i also had problems using 3G on my phone after turning tether off (turn on airplane mode, turn it back off, turn wifi on, turn it back off and then it would be back to normal.) i then used wireless tether 2.0.7 and it worked perfectly. vzw shouldnt detect im using tethering no matter which app i use for tethering, correct?

That's the idea. But you never know haha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

donnycouchpotato
07-08-2011, 08:28 AM
can someone let me know the dif between patched and unpatched. I read through the thread but didnt see it. Also, I had the WT 2.0.7 back with FROYO and it worked fine, but when GB came out and it didnt work I deleted the ap, do these patches reinstal the ap, or do i need to reinstall the ap then put on of the patches on? Thanks, Don

spodoc
07-08-2011, 08:38 AM
can someone let me know the dif between patched and unpatched. I read through the thread but didnt see it. Also, I had the WT 2.0.7 back with FROYO and it worked fine, but when GB came out and it didnt work I deleted the ap, do these patches reinstal the ap, or do i need to reinstall the ap then put on of the patches on? Thanks, Don

The patch, patches the radio so that 3g hotspot app can be used for free. On froyo this is independent of using the program wireless tether. I assume this holds true on gingerbread as well. My take on this is that wug has included wireless tether with the patch out of convinence not because one is needed with the other.

spodoc
07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
So that we are on the same page, the "patch" is the team black hat patch that wug did not create. It patches the radio for the vzw hotspot. Wireless tether is an independent program allowing rooted users to tether and does not require a patch. 3g hotspots is preinstalled on your phone. Wugs zip simply puts the patch and wt into a flashable zip file.

B3N
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
will this work on cm7 v.23

spodoc
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Also wug included the removal of the gb tracking database

spodoc
07-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Depends on what you mean by "this." The tbh patch, tacking database removal, or wireless tether?

Tracking is non existant on cm. The tbh patch is supposed to work on gb as far as I know. Wireless thether you just have to try doff versions to see which will work for you. Some seem to have issues with the beta builds.

Just try it and see? Make a nandroid first of course.

Also know that the tbh patch is not undone via nandroid restore. Only their unpatch script or sbf will " undo " the tbg hack.

TMFGO45
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Cm7 and ssx need not worry about any of this.

pstgh
07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
WugFresh> I am just getting to this experiment, and was able to go rename the first file

to ...\DataManager.bak

but when it came to this file...

root explorer is telling me that I don't have permission to rename the file. I tried clicking on permissions, and root explorer came back and said that "permissions cannot be changed because the file system is read-only."

Yes, I do have root.

Any thoughts / help / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Snow02
07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Press the ro in the top right to change it to rw.

sportytony
07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi, my question is, do I need this patch if the initial tbh patch when I had my root ed froyo and updated to the 2 part gb still had tether capability?

TMFGO45
07-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi, my question is, do I need this patch if the initial tbh patch when I had my root ed froyo and updated to the 2 part gb still had tether capability?

I think you do because when you update, all files are replaced. So the patched file would be one of those, thus needing repatched.

spodoc
07-09-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you do because when you update, all files are replaced. So the patched file would be one of those, thus needing repatched.

I concur. Sincecthe update reflashed the radio you would need to reapply the patch.

Snow02
07-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Nope. The best test to see if you need to patch is if tethering works. If it works, you're still patched.

spodoc
07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Nope. The best test to see if you need to patch is if tethering works. If it works, you're still patched.

I didn't read that you said your tether still worked. I thought the 2part flashed the radio. Of course you didn't specify whether it was the 3g hotspots that still worked ( which utilizes the patch) or WT which does not.

I don't suppose though that reapplying the patch uneccessarily would hurt. And as snow said all u have to do is test it if you are curious.

1wired1
07-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi, having some trouble. I am on the original GB leak and when I try to install this it aborts. Any ideas what I should do? I've tried to upgrade GB but it aborts too and I get great battery life right now so I haven't worried about upgrading but I would really like this.

Thanks for any help /advice
1w1

pstgh
07-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I would have to assume the reason that it aborts is because this was setup for the pre-rooted GB condition- you could sbf your phone back to froyo, root it, then flash the phone to the pre-rooted GB using the two part flash that is available. That should set you up to then use this zip.

sportytony
07-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for answering. Thats why I was wondering, cuz I can still tether though. I just thought that I was more susceptible to being tracked due to something I needed to do because now I was gb'd. Do I? or am I as trackable as always. ( I don't do it much)

Koopa Troopa
07-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Does this work as a throttle remover as well? If it doesn't is there a GB throttle remover for liberty?

pstgh
07-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I think it's safe to assume big brother is watching what are doing with the data, but if you don't abuse it, I would doubt they are going to care that much.

If you look back a few pages, you will see the two files that VZW supposedly uses to track your usage / type of data. I've not independantly confirmed these two files are actually doing that, but as an experiment, I've gone in (through root explorer) and renamed these two files **.bak and my phone seems to be working fine.

WugFresh
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the locations of those files.

You're pretty confident the phone will operate / function correctly without those files?

If you remove them, does the os just recreate them if they are not present?

Thanks again- I'll try backing them up and removing them to see what happens.

Edit: I guess another way to ask that question is- Would just renaming the files *.bak be sufficient?

The OS does not have the ability to auto-create those files, so yes deleting them stops recording. Changing them to *.bak would work exactly the same way.. you could certainly do that.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Does this work as a throttle remover as well? If it doesn't is there a GB throttle remover for liberty?

This does not remove data throttle. I am sure there is.. I don't know where. Data throttle hack is an edit to the services.jar file. So you need one that is specifically edited for GB liberty, because the services.jar file can vary from ROM to ROM. I suppose I could make one if you can't find it. Try searching or posting a thread first.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi, having some trouble. I am on the original GB leak and when I try to install this it aborts. Any ideas what I should do? I've tried to upgrade GB but it aborts too and I get great battery life right now so I haven't worried about upgrading but I would really like this.

Thanks for any help /advice
1w1

You should back up your important data, and SBF back to Froyo and then install the Pre-Rooted GB, then flash this... or SBF back to Froyo and flash a ROM like SSX which already is patched and has wireless tethering included.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html
Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html)
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/cyanogenmod/30809-rom-aosp-ssx-2-0-built-source-gb-2-3-4-a.html
{{ WugFresh }}

armedmonkey
07-13-2011, 10:18 PM
so this enables the hotspot, right? do you know any way to get the tethering apps to work? And a big thank you to you either way.

edit: ps -does it work for 596?

NateDogg11
07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I could not get this to work. I hit 'About' in the Tether app....turns out I had 3.0 beta 14 I think. I read through these posts and using Tit. Backup restored 2.0.7 and it seems to be good for now. I am on LGB 0.8. Does this sound right Wug?

Thanks for everything you do to help us.

NateDogg11
07-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Sorry...it was pre 14, not beta. Regardless, I want to use the original app, not this one....right? I ask bc I see both .apk's in your Megaupload File Folder. Thanks again.

WugFresh
07-13-2011, 11:13 PM
The zip in the OP contains the latest experimental version of Wireless Tether which has the most success on Gingerbread. If for some reason you are only having success with previous versions of Wireless Tether.. than that doesn't matter. Whatever works, works. Different tether apps have nothing to do with you being detected. The data recording files that snow02 discovered are removed with my patch, and TBH patch is applied. Those are the only two things that matter. I decided to include the wireless tether app purely for the purpose of convenience to the end-user. You can feel free to uninstall it, or use an alternative.

{{ WugFresh }}

NateDogg11
07-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank you.

1wired1
07-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks Wug

TMFGO45
07-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I went through the process and I'm up and running. Does the 3g hotspot app stop other data from working while it's active? And charts the difference between the white 3g icon and signal strength, and when it turns blue?

TMFGO45
07-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I hope this thread isn't dead already. Couple questions about when I'm tethering.

Anybody complete difference between the white 3g icon and the blue 3g icon?

And also, when I'm tethered, it seems like my apps lose their data connection? Normal? I'd like to still be able to use g talk and all that. Should I freeze the 3g hotspot and see if I stop getting that notice that says hotspot or tethering active and see if that fixes it?

TMFGO45
07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Okay I can't even find the hotspot app to freeze it. What's it called, or where can I find it? Thanks

TMFGO45
07-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, nevermind. Just read the bad news. Built into settings.apk now, and can't be gotten rid of.

So anyway to prevent both those icons in. the notification bar, so only my wifi tether is what gets fired up when it is time to tether?

Snow02
07-17-2011, 02:50 AM
I hope this thread isn't dead already. Couple questions about when I'm tethering.

Anybody complete difference between the white 3g icon and the blue 3g icon?

And also, when I'm tethered, it seems like my apps lose their data connection? Normal? I'd like to still be able to use g talk and all that. Should I freeze the 3g hotspot and see if I stop getting that notice that says hotspot or tethering active and see if that fixes it?

Unfortunately, the way wifi tethering works on gingerbread, it shuts off the phone data and routes it to the hotspot. Without kernel access there's nothing we can do about that.

TMFGO45
07-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Unfortunately, the way wifi tethering works on gingerbread, it shuts off the phone data and routes it to the hotspot. Without kernel access there's nothing we can do about that.

Any way to prevent hotspot from activating when using wifi tether?

Snow02
07-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Any way to prevent hotspot from activating when using wifi tether?

The short answer is no.

3rotorRX8
07-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok dumb question but if you remove data service and souch does it show on Verizons end zero data usage? Guess what I'm asking is if we use this patch when we get are bill will the data usage be zero?

Snow02
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Ok dumb question but if you remove data service and souch does it show on Verizons end zero data usage? Guess what I'm asking is if we use this patch when we get are bill will the data usage be zero?

No, it just removes the local log of what uid (which is like an application id) uses data.

3rotorRX8
07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok. Thanks Snow

Vitality
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Has anyone tried this on Liberty gingerbread v.9?
I installed the patch but whenever I try to connect to the hotspot via a laptop it won't connect.

Scott26
07-25-2011, 04:06 PM
So does this still work or is it not able to since the 3G app is not removable?

TMFGO45
07-25-2011, 06:17 PM
So does this still work or is it not able to since the 3G app is not removable?

Works for me. You will be able to do this.

Scott26
07-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Got it done, Thanks WUG.

arikara
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
If you flash a new ROM do you have to flash the WugPack patch again?

spodoc
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Roms do not upgrade the radio so the tbh patch that is applied via wugs all-in-one zip will persist.

The database that is removed I am less sure about. I would think that database and monitoring apk would not have been included in a rom anyways.

Wireless tether which is the third thing included in wigs zip would need to be reflashed after a rom.

So just reflash if you want because there is no harm in doing it again.

mwfernandez80
07-27-2011, 12:29 AM
So after I install the zip I just use the stock 3g mobile hotspot app and don't get charged? I installed the zip and am a little skeptical because nothing seems to have changed and there's no new app?

spodoc
07-27-2011, 03:29 PM
So after I install the zip I just use the stock 3g mobile hotspot app and don't get charged?

Yes, well you hope not to get charged. And you probably wont with modest data usage. Start burong through gb of data and you'll be on their radar most likely.

spodoc
07-27-2011, 03:30 PM
I installed the zip and am a little skeptical because nothing seems to have changed and there's no new app?

It should have installed wireless tether beta unless wug has changed it.

Snipples007
07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
It should have installed wireless tether beta unless wug has changed it.

I just ran it yesterday on MIUI and it gave me the app.

dsnipes
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
First time poster, I do do something wrong please be gentle.

I tried to update my Droid X with the Wireless Tether zip file but I''m getting an error message "E: signiture verification failed". I originally had the Droid 2 Bootloader and tried with the Droid X Bootloader but still get the same error message. I am using the 2 part rooted flash (596).

The Bootloader message I see are:
Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
E: signiture verification failed
Installation aborted

Any ideas or let me know what additional information you need.

Thanks.

Snipples007
07-28-2011, 12:12 AM
@Dsnipes

Delete the file off your sd card and download it again, you probably got a bad download.

dsnipes
07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
@Dsnipes

Delete the file off your sd card and download it again, you probably got a bad download.

Thanks for the answer Snipples007, I failed to mention in my original post that I did try downloading the ZIP file multiple times (both with IE and with Firefox). If you have any other ideas I appreciate them.

derwood
07-29-2011, 01:45 AM
This might sound dumb but do I need to do both patch and patch at the same time?

3club
08-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi, so sorry to be an idiot, but hopefully a straight answer will help others like me. (I can't be alone, can I???)

I've been reading for a couple days now, and just getting more confused. I have the Droid X, I did the z4root a few months ago and the wireless tethering. A Verizon "support" person convinced me to do the Over The Air (OTA) update to 4.5.596 (which I assume is this GingerBread everyone's talking about), and since then my tether doesn't work. So I found this thread, but it says I first need a rooted Gingerbread, but I think the gingerbread update broke my root and everything I've read says that this update can't be rooted yet. *sigh*

I hate to sound like a girl (no offense, I like girls), but can someone please hold my hand through this?

Mike7143
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Correct, the OTA Gingerbread can't be rooted after it's been installed. The basic process you'll need to follow is SBF back to Froyo, install the pre-rooted Gingerbread that TeamBlackHat gave everyone, THEN you can get this patch working.

After you SBF back to Froyo, follow the directions at My Droid World on how to get going on the Gingerbread.
Where to get the rooted Gingerbread: Here (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html#post79631)
How to SBF: Here

(http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html)

3club
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
ps. If someone can help me get this working, I promise to contribute by translating the steps into noob-speak. I'm very fluent in noob.

3club
08-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks Mike, I'm downloading the linux froyo thing now. Those steps look pretty well written so far, but I'll have to go to work and try this tonight.

Thanks again!

3club
08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
okay, I did the SBF to froyo, did the wipes, and now I'm at android version 2.2.1, system version 2.3.340......

So now I'm trying to get the rooted gingerbread. I assume I use Method 2 which says it uses 2 install files. Basic directions start with "download the zip", and here I'm not sure on. My guess would be ":Full Stock Version", but that only has one file, update.zip, not two, so I don't know if that's right. And it says to install it using "the stock recovery of the device", but doesn't say what that means.

Need more hand holding, please.

Mike7143
08-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Scroll down a little more to the method 2 links. Method one is listed first. You want the part 1 and 2 under the section "patched update.zip (not signed)". You want to download one of the 3 mirrors for both part 1 and 2. At first glance it looks like theres 3 downloads for part one and 3 for part two... But they are different mirrors, just pick one from both. Download them on your computer and then transfer to your sd card.
I'm a mobile man.

3club
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Okay, thanks again. I screwed up. I thought because I sfbd to the stock froyo, that I would want the full stock one, but I guess that put me back where I started, so I assume that now I need to go back and re sfb my phone again back to froyo.

I appreciate your help. :-)

Mike7143
08-03-2011, 11:23 PM
By "full stock one" you mean you installed the non-rooted Gingerbread? If so, yes, you'll have to use the CD again and SBF back to Froyo. Once on Froyo, don't let the phone update to GB via the update. Download your 2-part pre-rooted GB files from HERE (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/7651-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html#post79631) directly under the 2nd set of ******'s and the first line is "Patched update.zip (not signed)". Get 1 of the 3 under "File Part 1" and 1 of the 3 under "File Part 2". Get them while on your computer and then transfer them to the SD card. Root your Froyo and then install/use D2 Bootstrap Recovery to get into Clockwork. From there, wipe data, cache, dalvik cache (under advanced) and battery stats. Then flash part 1 followed immediately by part 2. Then I'd suggest wiping the data, cache, dalvik and battery again. Finally reboot and you should be on rooted Gingerbread. THEN you can finally accomplish what you set out to do... apply Wug's patch lol.

With all that said... some people have been having problems with the 596 Gingerbread both rooted and non. If you can, it might be easier to just wait a few weeks because there will be another update that we'll all have to flash. I'm not sure if Wug's patch will remain intact in the process of updating. If it will, then nevermind. Otherwise, just something to think about.

3club
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
OMG! I can't believe it, but I did it and it works! I was obviously over my head, and wouldn't have been able to do this without your help. Thank you again.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to write out the steps so that others like me can do this too.

Now I'm almost afraid to ask, but what kinds of problems with 596 were you referring to? What do you mean we'll all have to flash? I was tempted, once I got back to froyo, to just stay there.

Mike7143
08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
We won't ALL have to flash. Many people who've upgraded to Gingerbread either via the OTA or the pre-rooted Gingerbread have reported multiple bugs, but the most obvious and annoying include:

Phone turns its self back on after being turned off
Wifi connectivity issues
Loss of phone/3g service

I personally have only experienced the loss of 3G/voice. About every other day I have to reboot because when I wake up in the morning or take my phone off the dock after work, wifi goes away and 3G never comes back. Nor can I make phone calls or send text messages. With that said, there are other people who have had 0 issues at all. Some say it's because people aren't wiping data/cache and etc. Verizon knows and admits there's a problem and a patch is coming. There are numerous threads about this topic thought which can be saved for those threads.

Glad to help you on your way!

3club
08-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Well, I guess if things get bad, I (we) could always go back to froyo. I don't really know how gingerbread is supposed to be better anyway. If/when Verizon does do an update for gingerbread, will the things you just helped me through prevent such an update? Or will an update undo what we did?

What exactly did we do, anyway? Was that what they call a "custom rom"?

Mike7143
08-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Typically if you root it disables any automatic updates. Just rooting the device doesn't really change anything, but it's what you do with root that causes you not to be able to take OTA updates. All we did was revert back to Froyo which the phone shipped with, and then basically flashed a "ROM" more or less... it just happens to be that the "ROM" we flashed was Verizon's Gingerbread except developers dabbled with it and made it so it's rooted already when it's installed since there's no known way to root GB AFTER it's been installed. You can flash all different kinds of ROMS like Apex, MIUI, CM4DX, Liberty, etc. etc. the same way. It just gets hairy when you don't follow the specific directions for each ROM. Glad we could get you hooked up with Wug's patch thought!

Miles
08-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Has anyone not gotten 3g service after applying the patch? I patched last night, and I haven't gotten data all day.

CAEM X
08-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Has anyone not gotten 3g service after applying the patch? I patched last night, and I haven't gotten data all day.

I installed it two nights ago n got my 3t back right after.

mrtubz69
08-06-2011, 12:24 PM
help! it wont install on my rooted gingerbread droid x2 it aborts the instalation! god im tired my speelling is handicapped

Snow02
08-06-2011, 07:58 PM
This isn't for the x2. But does it say why it won't install? Many times you'll get a specific error message.

WugFresh
08-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, if you tell me the error msg I can probably make it work on the X2 - its probably mounting the system drive incorrectly for that device.

{{ WugFresh }}

dwithers
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I have a DX2 on pre-rooted 2.3.3 with the same issue. The error is "E:Error in /sdcard/WugPacked_TetherPatch_1.0.zip (Status 0)
Installation aborted.

Money Mike
08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I just went back to 596 and can't get tethering to work. I flashed the all in one twice and I'm getting nothing when I turn wifi tether on.

WugFresh
08-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I have a DX2 on pre-rooted 2.3.3 with the same issue. The error is "E:Error in /sdcard/WugPacked_TetherPatch_1.0.zip (Status 0)
Installation aborted.

Ok, I will figure it out. Any X2 ROMs out I can look at?

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I just went back to 596 and can't get tethering to work. I flashed the all in one twice and I'm getting nothing when I turn wifi tether on.

What do you mean "you get nothing". No wifi tether icon?

{{ WugFresh }}

Money Mike
08-09-2011, 11:22 AM
What do you mean "you get nothing". No wifi tether icon?

{{ WugFresh }}

The tether icon pops up at first but it quickly disappears. Then my 3g connection resets. Sometimes my pc can see the connection but there is no internet. Most of the time my phone isn't an available connection.

Tone Capone
08-09-2011, 11:43 AM
This isn't for the x2

How about the Droid 2? My buddy has a D2 and I am wondering if it will work for him.

Thx.

WugFresh
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
How about the Droid 2? My buddy has a D2 and I am wondering if it will work for him.

Thx.

This one probably wouldn't work because I think there is a different TBH patch for that phone but I could make on if I have that file somewhere or can hunt it down. I will let you know.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
08-09-2011, 12:48 PM
The tether icon pops up at first but it quickly disappears. Then my 3g connection resets. Sometimes my pc can see the connection but there is no internet. Most of the time my phone isn't an available connection.

Sounds like a random anomaly. I would recommended sbf'ing and reflashing GB... or just flash a ROM like SSX which is already patched to tether.

{{ WugFresh }}

RnD_Solo
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
does this work on DX2? i cant find a dx2 specific boot strapper

cory46
08-09-2011, 08:41 PM

:) ask and you shall receive haha

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x2-hacks/159458-dx2-bootstrap-safe-download.html

firefighterguy
08-09-2011, 08:43 PM
RnD,
There is a bootstrap for the X2. I had it on my X2 before I flashed the prerooted GB and accidently unrooted. OOPS! Now I get to sbf.

But anyways, I will find the link and PM it to you. It might be found in the X2 threads somewhere too.

*Edited.

Nevermind. Cory beat me to the punch...AGAIN. Lmao! Everyone seems to beat me. Good job guys!

"King of the 'Self-Edit'"

RnD_Solo
08-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks. I put root on this phone. I think I did the ginger break deal. Wifes phone..i don't remember

I'm faster than you! :) xlr82xtc

rickw
08-11-2011, 11:09 AM
does anyone know if this will work on liquid?

WugFresh
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM

I don't know, try it and let me know.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
does anyone know if this will work on liquid?

This should work on any GB based ROM. In fact it would work on froyo ROMs too because it would attempt to delete files that aren't present and then skip it.

Worst that happens is it doesn't work.. its not going to mess anything up.

{{ WugFresh }}

rickw
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
This should work on any GB based ROM. In fact it would work on froyo ROMs too because it would attempt to delete files that aren't present and then skip it.

Worst that happens is it doesn't work.. its not going to mess anything up.

{{ WugFresh }}hey,this is working,i'm on pc sending thru x,

rickw
08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
ps:,i'm on liquid 2.6

3club
08-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Okay folks, here it is! As promised, in appreciation for all the help I've received here, I've prepared a guide for dummies, chronicling my Droid learning experience that brought me to this point. It's written from an uber-n00bs perspective. Sorry, lol, it turned into more of a book than I envisioned, due to the volumes I've learned from you all in the recent past, which I know is only the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks again!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/34521-babbling-idiots-guide-wireless-tether-gingerbread-short-title.html#post403006

cory46
08-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Okay folks, here it is! As promised, in appreciation for all the help I've received here, I've prepared a guide for dummies, chronicling my Droid learning experience that brought me to this point. It's written from an uber-n00bs perspective. Sorry, lol, it turned into more of a book than I envisioned, due to the volumes I've learned from you all in the recent past, which I know is only the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks again!

Could have saved yourself some time ;) http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30698

3club
08-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Could have saved yourself some time ;) A Guide to Wireless Tethering (AT YOUR OWN RISK) (http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30698)

Yeah, I saw that thread earlier on, but frankly I wasn't smart enough to know how to apply that info without additional guidance. I still don't understand half of the things in the comments of that thread, it's like I have to google every other acronym! lol

cory46
08-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Haha understandable

3club
08-12-2011, 01:24 AM
LOL, I'm such a a ... I don't know what I am, but I just realized that I left out the link to my guide.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/34521-babbling-idiots-guide-wireless-tether-gingerbread-short-title.html#post403006

DUH!!!

dwithers
08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Ok, I will figure it out. Any X2 ROMs out I can look at?

{{ WugFresh }}Any progress on this item? The only ROMs I am aware of are the official Gingerbread release and P3Droids X2 Pre-rooted gingerbread.

WugFresh
08-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Any progress on this item? The only ROMs I am aware of are the official Gingerbread release and P3Droids X2 Pre-rooted gingerbread.

I'm downloading that prerooted ROM now, I will take a look and see if I can repackage this to work for the X2. Will need testers.

{{ WugFresh }}

MICHO
08-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Wug is supa fresh!

WugFresh
08-15-2011, 09:11 PM
GB Tether Patch For X2 Beta's
Beta 1 - [/URL]http://goo.gl/EMPQ2 (http://goo.gl/EMPQ2Beta)
Beta 2 - [url]http://goo.gl/B4rJp

Let me know if either works :)
If it doesn't - please provide the specific error msg.

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Beta 1 - [/URL]http://goo.gl/EMPQ2 (http://goo.gl/EMPQ2Beta)
Beta 2 - [url]http://goo.gl/B4rJp

{{ WugFresh }}

Curious, what did you change between the two zips? And are the nv update strings identical to the ones for the X patch? The memory locations are definitely the same between the two phones as I've manually patched a few.

WugFresh
08-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Curious, what did you change between the two zips? And are the nv update strings identical to the ones for the X patch? The memory locations are definitely the same between the two phones as I've manually patched a few.

The nv updates are the same. in;

beta1 - I changed the way it mounts the system block from:
mount("ext3", "/dev/block/mmcblk1p21", "/system"); to...
mount("ext3", "MTD", "system", "/system"); and in...

beta2 - is just beta1 with the certs changed

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
08-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Anyone with an X2 test those?

{{ WugFresh }}

dwithers
08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
First one aborts with "E:Error in /sdcard/WugPacked_GB_DX_Tether_Patch_beta1.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted"

Second one aborts with "E:Error in /sdcard/WugPacked_GB_DX_Tether_Patch_beta2.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted"

WugFresh
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM
First one aborts with "E:Error in /sdcard/WugPacked_GB_DX_Tether_Patch_beta1.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted"

Second one aborts with "E:Error in /sdcard/WugPacked_GB_DX_Tether_Patch_beta2.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted"

Ok thanks, I will upload some more betas this afternoon.

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM
If anyone is interested, someone posted a thread on how to do this manually for the X2. I've done it on a couple of them personally and can attest to it working. The thread says it's for the D3, but you use the exact same procedure on the X and X2.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1182940

dwithers
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Absolutely Awesome! I just went through this manual method and though it is a bit scary in places, it worked as advertised! My DX2 is now has Gingerbread, is rooted and tether enabled. Life is good!

jaxx10
08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Will this work on 1.8.12 MIUI ?!!?

Zog
08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
The 2nd init roms have these files removed already, it isn't necessary to use this on miui.

- sent from my liberated dx

jaxx10
08-17-2011, 12:02 PM
thanks ...just because i cant seem to use wifi tether ... it only works for about 5mb ...then it stops working....

WugFresh
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
@jaxx

Tether tricks/tips
- toggle 3G off/on first to establish a fresh connection
- turn autosync off
- turn screen timeout off
- turn lock screen timer off
- keep on charger
- start wifi tether and run it in the background.. should see the icon in the notification bar
- don't use any apps that use data on the phone .. like the browser ect

Should help

{{ WugFresh }}

jaxx10
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
thanks Wugfresh :excited:...will try that .... will report back ....

pstgh
08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
So I upgraded to the new GB .602 using the 'easy' approach rather than sbf'ing back to froyo and all of that. Anyway, my DX is now running .602 and yes, it's rooted, and yes, tethering works. Wug> after upgrading, I went looking for those two database files- the ones that supposedly big red uses to look at how we are using the datastream, and the file structure seems to have changed, so I could not find the first one (if you look back in this thread, you'll know which one I'm referring to). Anyway, has there been any work done on which files to either remove or to at least convert to .bak from .apk in the new .602 build? I'd sleep better knowing that I wasn't being tracked, like I did when I had frozen these two files under .596.

Thanks

loumarjr
08-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Wug,

Any progress on the revised unpatch.zip?

Yeah.. I think I know why, the database file I was restoring was a blank one.. everyone has a unique subid... so I really need my patch zip backup your personal database file and then make the unpatch zip restore it to truly make the unpatch zip an "all-in-one"... I have to write a script that does that. I will update these soon.

{{ WugFresh }}

loumarjr
08-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Pstgh,

I also upgraded to 602 on my DX and both files were there. I didnt run the tether batch yet. Check again to be sure. Hope this helps

data\data\com.motorola.android.datamanager\databas es\DataManager.db (Dont know why post inserts a space in \databases\)

So I upgraded to the new GB .602 using the 'easy' approach rather than sbf'ing back to froyo and all of that. Anyway, my DX is now running .602 and yes, it's rooted, and yes, tethering works. Wug> after upgrading, I went looking for those two database files- the ones that supposedly big red uses to look at how we are using the datastream, and the file structure seems to have changed, so I could not find the first one (if you look back in this thread, you'll know which one I'm referring to). Anyway, has there been any work done on which files to either remove or to at least convert to .bak from .apk in the new .602 build? I'd sleep better knowing that I wasn't being tracked, like I did when I had frozen these two files under .596.

Thanks

pstgh
08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Ah....yes- thanks. I went back in and they were indeed both there. Not sure why I wasn't seeing them before- perhpas I was getting tired of dealing with the phone! Also, perhaps I was a little paranoid?

thanks again

kcap122
08-22-2011, 01:04 AM
WugFresh, you are the man. Thanks so much. I'm writing from a tethered connection right now.

WugFresh
08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
WugFresh, you are the man. Thanks so much. I'm writing from a tethered connection right now.

Glad it's working for you. Credit really goes to Team Black Hat and Snow though. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

X24
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
@jaxx

Tether tricks/tips
- toggle 3G off/on first to establish a fresh connection
- turn autosync off
- turn screen timeout off
- turn lock screen timer off
- keep on charger
- start wifi tether and run it in the background.. should see the icon in the notification bar
- don't use any apps that use data on the phone .. like the browser ect

Should help

{{ WugFresh }}

Not working for me. When stop trying to tether I have to reboot to get 3G to start up. Weird. Running LibertyGB v0.8

WugFresh
08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Not working for me. When stop trying to tether I have to reboot to get 3G to start up. Weird. Running LibertyGB v0.8

You definitely don't need to reboot. Get yourself a good toggle widget like powercontrol plus or Widgetsoid and make data toggle button. Or just turn airplane mode on and off.

{{ WugFresh }}

loumarjr
08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Wugfresh,Any progress on the script update to backup the database?
Any update on the"*You might want to back up your own database file before patching and restore it manually after unpatching... I am not sure it starts working (recording data usage) again unless you factory reset the way its built now... I am not sure why..."part of the OP?

WugFresh
08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Wugfresh,Any progress on the script update to backup the database?

My fault. I kind of forgot about that. I will try and write that tonight.

{{ WugFresh }}

loumarjr
08-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks!
My fault. I kind of forgot about that. I will try and write that tonight. {{ WugFresh }}

jtp755
08-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Any update on the unpatch? It does not reinstall DataManager.apk for me which is preventing the .602 update from applying. =)

EDIT: Nevermind...flashing a second time seemed to reinstall the files. Trying to .602 update now!
EDIT #2: It looks like it put the apk back but the .602 update still fails. It looks like its doing an md5 on it and its not matching. Ill see if i can get a pic up here.

jtp755
08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/600a0d1d-57bc-d4d2.jpg

bhavlo
08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I just found this thread yesterday and installed it on my Droid X..... Works Great, but with access control enabled it won't work at all. Has any found a way to fix that? (Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been answered but searching the thread didn't find anything on "access control")

jloya
08-25-2011, 03:25 PM
for some reason I cant get my X to tether, it shows that tethering is running (also shows the wifi hotspot touch to configure icon in the notification bar)

my xoom will connect, show a strong signal but when trying to view a website it will say unavail

toggled airplane mode to no avail, also flashed patch twice...same outcome, I do have a steady 3g signal as wella

any ideas?

bhavlo
08-25-2011, 03:33 PM
for some reason I cant get my X to tether, it shows that tethering is running (also shows the wifi hotspot touch to configure icon in the notification bar)my xoom will connect, show a strong signal but when trying to view a website it will say unavailtoggled airplane mode to no avail, also flashed patch twice...same outcome, I do have a steady 3g signal as wellaany ideas? You described exactly the way mine acts with access control enabled. Is yours enabled? If so disable it and see if that works

jloya
08-25-2011, 03:37 PM
You described exactly the way mine acts with access control enabled. Is yours enabled? If so disable it and see if that works

just checked after seeing your post above mine and my access control is disabled

EDIT:

after enabling access control and giving my xoom access it still would not work, I then disabled access control and now its working great???? lol w/e happened I dont care as it is working now haha :p

BioVader
08-27-2011, 03:06 PM
ok just so I'm clear.. We just need to run the patch file. The unpatch is just there if you want to undo it right. I ran the patch and I'm finally able to tether my touchpad. Was a pain even after patching but now for some reason is started working. Have 3 different version of wireless tether on my phone. lol

JR1125
08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
im having the same problem as described above.

i connect fine according to my wifi status but when accessing an interet browser, it comes up unavialble. switched access on and off numerous times. dunno what im doing wrong

salvoroni
08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
ok just so I'm clear.. We just need to run the patch file. The unpatch is just there if you want to undo it right. I ran the patch and I'm finally able to tether my touchpad. Was a pain even after patching but now for some reason is started working. Have 3 different version of wireless tether on my phone. lol

Did you run this patch file on version .602? Does anyone know if we can safely run this patch on .602?

EDIT: I just ran the patch on .602. I am now able to tether just fine.

pstgh
08-29-2011, 07:52 AM
im having the same problem as described above.

i connect fine according to my wifi status but when accessing an interet browser, it comes up unavialble. switched access on and off numerous times. dunno what im doing wrong

Before you (or anyone else having this same problem) go off and make any radical changes to what you have done- make sure to give it time to hand off an IP address- I have noticed the tether process connecting but not handing out an IP address for a good minute or so. Patience is a virtue here- give it a minute or two before you assume it's not working properly.

phantomworks
08-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi guys, I'm on .602 Shuji and just flashed the patch.

I checked with root explorer and the database tracking files are gone. However, whenever I activate wireless tether, it starts uploading at 70 kbs right away, even if it is not connected to an external device. I let it run for a while and it was up to 2 mb so I turned it off.

I have tried wifit_tether_v3.0 pre14, 3.1 beta 2, 3.1 beta 3, and they all do this.

When I was on MIUI this didn't happen. Any advice on how to get it to stop uploading constantly? And what is it uploading???

Snow02
08-29-2011, 08:39 AM
I noticed mine did the same thing, so I started Droid wall and blocked every app. The wifi tether app still said it was uploading, so I'm pretty sure it's just a bug of some sort. I suppose you could check your data usage, turn on the tethering app and let it go for while, then check your usage again to see of it's actually uploading. I'm fairly certain it's not.

Also notice that the data transfer arrows aren't lit up even though the app says otherwise.

phantomworks
08-29-2011, 09:20 AM
OK I dug around a bit and here is is what I found (for wifi tether 3.1 beta 3):

I used the 3g watchdog widget and loaded a 1.5 mb file onto dropbox through tether. watchdog shows that 1.5 mb data being transferred, and hasn't increased since. So Snow is right, and it is a glitch of some kind.

- When I was on MIUI and running tether, there would be (1) notification, which is a yellow wifi sign.

- When I run wifi tether on .602 shuji (blurry gingerbread based rom), there are (2) notifications, a yellow wifi notification and a blue tethering or hotspot active notification.

looking through the tethering and mobile hotspot notification (blue notification), it seems to be a second standalone application. I can set up a ssid, a password, etc. and if active, it will show up on my list of available wifi hotspots. So for example I will have androidtether1 (from the yellow) and android tether 2 (from the blue).
- I can't actually connect to the blue, but if I turn it on and then shut it off, I lose the data connection to the yellow, even though yellow says that it is still active. I have to turn yellow off and on again for tethering to work, and the blue activates as well.

What's the point of all of this? I have no idea... I'd image that the blue icon is a blur thing, because I didn't have it on 2nd int MIUI. It doesn't seem like any data is actually being uploaded anywhere, and I suspect that the upload from yellow has to do with the communication between the blue and yellow hotspot applications. It still bothers me that it is constantly uploading though...

I heard somewhere that after removing the tracking files, I could use the hotspot app from verizon. is that true?

gh0stb0y
08-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Sorry, noob here...I've got a stock Verizon .602 and is rooted. I'm very confused about some parts and have yet begin attempting this and would like to be clear before I do something bad.

From the instruction below, I need to bootstrap the phone (which I've downloaded and installed, is this like backing up the phone?), execute Bootstrap Recovery, click OK, Reboot the Recovery.

Now this is where I'm confused, it states to install the zip to SD card...which zip file? The WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch_1.0.zip? Now since I'm confused already, what does choose zip from sdcard means? What is used to execute the zip file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Just don't want to brick the phone!

WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch_1.0.zip (472.77 KB) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QTKKVNPW)

Applies the TBH Patch
Removes DataManagerService.apk
Removes database file in /data/data/com.motorola.android.datamanager/databases
Installs Wireless Tether Beta

(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JTX0BCR8)
To install you need to be on rooted GB:

Bootstrap (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid2.bootstrap&feature=more_from_developer)
Bootstrap Recovery (will have to grant SU permissions if you haven't already)
Ok
Reboot Recovery
Install zip from sdcard
Choose zip from sdcard
Navigate to wherever you saved the WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch/Unpatch zips and select it
Navigate to Yes and select it
Wait for it to install
Reboot system
{{ WugFresh }}

phantomworks
08-29-2011, 05:54 PM
@ ghostboy: if you are already rooted, then here are the steps:
- yes, the gb tether patch is the one for your system. the bootstrap recovery app allows you to install zip files to update files, change your rom, back up your files, and factory set your phone. it does a lot of things very well. you will be using the bootstrap app to install the gb tether patch.

Bootstrap (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid2.bootstrap&feature=more_from_developer) > this means install the bootstrap recovery app. You need to download the droid 2 recovery bootstrap app by clockworkmod from the market place. I think it costs $3. (you might be able to use droid x bootstrap, but i hear droid 2 bootstrap is better)
Bootstrap Recovery (will have to grant SU permissions if you haven't already) > (this instruction is if you are already rooted) > Open the bootstrap app, and there are 2 buttons. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery. Press bootstrap recovery.
Ok > press ok...
Reboot Recovery > press the reboot recovery button, which will reboot your phone and take you to the clockwork interface.
Install zip from sdcard > Use volume up and down to move within the directory, camera button to select, and power button to go back.
Choose zip from sdcard > this is one of the options you will see. select it using volume up/down, select with camera button.
Navigate to wherever you saved the WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch/Unpatch zips and select it > you need to know exactly where on your sd card the zip file is stored.
Navigate to Yes and select it > ... after you hit yes, you will get a confirmation screen. select ok again.
Wait for it to install > it should take less than a minute
Reboot system > after it's done, find the option to reboot. if you don't see it, hit the power button to move up a directory until you get to the root, where the reboot system option is.
{{ WugFresh }} > comments by pw

usafaux2004
08-29-2011, 05:55 PM
So...just to confirm. Does this mean I can try to track down a pre-rooted Thunderbolt update, and use the patch?

My Droid X is loving it (so am I!). The Hotspot message came up right away with the WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta3 *** BETA ***. I stopped the process and it didn't show up again. I do get about ~150kbps upload, and in the last 10 minutes have run up some 22 mb on upload. If it's a glitch, should I try the older version?

gh0stb0y
08-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed explanation!! Definitely was not expecting a response so quickly. Thank you very much! I will test this soon!!

@ ghostboy: if you are already rooted, then here are the steps:
- yes, the gb tether patch is the one for your system. the bootstrap recovery app allows you to install zip files to update files, change your rom, back up your files, and factory set your phone. it does a lot of things very well. you will be using the bootstrap app to install the gb tether patch.

Bootstrap (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.droid2.bootstrap&feature=more_from_developer) > this means install the bootstrap recovery app. You need to download the droid 2 recovery bootstrap app by clockworkmod from the market place. I think it costs $3. (you might be able to use droid x bootstrap, but i hear droid 2 bootstrap is better)
Bootstrap Recovery (will have to grant SU permissions if you haven't already) > (this instruction is if you are already rooted) > Open the bootstrap app, and there are 2 buttons. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery. Press bootstrap recovery.
Ok > press ok...
Reboot Recovery > press the reboot recovery button, which will reboot your phone and take you to the clockwork interface.
Install zip from sdcard > Use volume up and down to move within the directory, camera button to select, and power button to go back.
Choose zip from sdcard > this is one of the options you will see. select it using volume up/down, select with camera button.
Navigate to wherever you saved the WugPacked_GB_Tether_Patch/Unpatch zips and select it > you need to know exactly where on your sd card the zip file is stored.
Navigate to Yes and select it > ... after you hit yes, you will get a confirmation screen. select ok again.
Wait for it to install > it should take less than a minute
Reboot system > after it's done, find the option to reboot. if you don't see it, hit the power button to move up a directory until you get to the root, where the reboot system option is.

phantomworks
08-29-2011, 08:26 PM
glad to help. I remember when I started out, everything was overwhelming. I got a lot of help lurking in this forum ;)

phantomworks
08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
@usafaux2004 (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/members/47001.html)
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/images/Eloquent/statusicon/user-offline.pngI think it's a glitch and so does Snow. I have verified that there is no actual data being uploaded. If you want to check, download 3g watchdog from the market and you can verify for yourself. I believe that it the upload is from the communication from wifi tether and the tether client that comes with gingerbread.

It *seems* like you should be good to go. Make sure the tracking files that are mentioned a few pages back are deleted.

I'm not sure what you mean about thunderbird update...

usafaux2004
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Tracking files?

<_< *Goes back to reading from page 4 to page 18*

stlcardinal9
08-30-2011, 12:50 AM
thanks for this

usafaux2004
08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Page 4, these the culprits?

If so, then using Root Manager I didn't see them. There was a DataManagerService, but not an .apk

P.S. Using the Wifi Tether provided in the .zip, there is no random upload going on.
P.P.S. I still have the "Tethering or Hotspot active" doohikie. Is that alright?
P.P.P.S. What's this "easy" .602 update I hear about? Really don't want to SBF again...

phantomworks
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
I did a search for 'datamanager' through root explorer and here is what I found:
* I am on GB .602 - Shuji Rom 2.0

/data/dalvik-caache/system@framework@com.motorola.android.datamanager. base.jar@classes.dex
/etc/permissions/com.motorola.android.datamanager_library.xml
/ststem/framework/com.motorola.android.datamanager.base.jar

It's above my paygrade to say whether these files do anything... If anyone knows if these need to be frozen, please chime in.

These files I am sure are not on my phone though...

3club
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok > press ok...

In the Droid2Bootstrap, can anyone explain to me what the first option, Bootstrap Recovery, does? I know all the instructions always say to do the first button and then the second one, but lately I tried doing just the second one, reboot recovery, without doing the bootstrap recovery first, and it still booted into cwr just fine, so I'm confused on what the first option does.

WugFresh
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
In the Droid2Bootstrap, can anyone explain to me what the first option, Bootstrap Recovery, does? I know all the instructions always say to do the first button and then the second one, but lately I tried doing just the second one, reboot recovery, without doing the bootstrap recovery first, and it still booted into cwr just fine, so I'm confused on what the first option does.

It grants bootstrapper super user permissions so that it can boot into clockwork recovery. You can usually forgo this step if you have done it once, but occasionally your phone will just reboot if you don't press that first... It just ensures you boot into cwm, however if you do without pressing that first.. No harm done.

{{ WugFresh }}

3club
08-30-2011, 09:25 PM
It grants bootstrapper super user permissions so that it can boot into clockwork recovery. You can usually forgo this step if you have done it once, but occasionally your phone will just reboot if you don't press that first... It just ensures you boot into cwm, however if you do without pressing that first.. No harm done.

{{ WugFresh }}

Ah, thank you.

DatacomGuy
08-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Guys - Getting the "E:Verification failed. Installation Aborted" error. I've always gotten this error when trying TBH's direct patch also.

Do you know why i would get it, and how to fix? I'm using D2 bootstrap. Side note, D2 Bootstrap won't reboot in to recovery. I have to use root toolkit to do it.

HELP! I really dont want to SBF back to froyo :(

pstgh
08-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Page 4, these the culprits?

If so, then using Root Manager I didn't see them. There was a DataManagerService, but not an .apk

P.S. Using the Wifi Tether provided in the .zip, there is no random upload going on.
P.P.S. I still have the "Tethering or Hotspot active" doohikie. Is that alright?
P.P.P.S. What's this "easy" .602 update I hear about? Really don't want to SBF again...

In response to the PPPS above- the easier method of getting rooted GB .602 is to load the superuser app onto your sdcard first, then run bootstrapper, then allow big red to update your phone OTA from .596 to .602. This method is especially worth a try if you are finding that big red is constantly nagging you to upgrade, and if you haven't tweaked the phone too much while in .596 pre-root was running (see more below). Once fully installed and rebooted, and while running, pull the battery out. After a pause, reinstall the battery and reboot the phone which should take you to CWR. From here, using the CWR interface, select run .zip from sdcard and select the superuser app. Assuming all goes well, it should run properly and you will then be upgraded to .602 with root access. Reboot the phone from CWR. Go look through the rooting gb .602 discussion forum to get the proper link to the superuser app, and here are a couple of additional notes based on my experience:

1) After you have loaded the superuser app to your sdcard- pull the sdcard out of your phone and make a complete copy of it. I'm not sure if it was the process or perhaps I just had a card that was on its last legs, but my personal experience was that my sdcard totally bonked after I upgraded ota;

2) Understanding that I had previously been running GB .596 (pre-rooted) and had tether activated via the TBH patch, and importantly, I had not tweaked the phone too much (e.g. I had not frozen the bloatware or any of the crap that big red loads onto the phone), anyway- I personally found that once I had upgraded to .602 and got root via the superuser app, the wifi tether (stock) worked properly, so if you came from the same place, give the hotspot a try before you assume it can't be working until you do something else;

3) You may find, like I did, that every time you reboot your phone, CWR starts up. If this is the case, just go into "Manage Apps" and click on the Droid2 Bootstrapper app, and select "force close". The next time you reboot, at least for me, the phone will reboot normally.

4) Two final notes on the wifi hotspot tether app- do use rootexplorer to modify those two tracking files to ".bak" from whatever they are currently- if you don't see them, try running the app and see if they get created, else monitor the file structure going forward to see if they get installed later or whatever, do note that wug's patch (if that is what you used) will remove those files, so they may not be around if you came from using that (right wug?), do note that the hotspot app takes a minute to hand off an ipaddress to your external device- don't panic if you find that it is connected but you don't have access to the internet - just give it a minute or two.

Good luck

WugFresh
08-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Correct pstgh, I will be updating this soon to just back them up instead and restore them properly with the unpatch. I have some free time later today so I will aim to get that done.

{{ WugFresh }}

gh0stb0y
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
glad to help. I remember when I started out, everything was overwhelming. I got a lot of help lurking in this forum ;)

Thanks so much! Was sitting here at my gf's jury duty and remembered that I had not done this and gave it a try and now WiFi tethering is working with my Touchpad! Just need to go home and delete/rename the two files and I should be all set! Thank you so much!

Quick question if you don't mind, on the DX signal bar, what is the significance in a white vs blue color? I've noticed that since GB, it will switch from blue to white every so often and after i've enabled WiFi tethering, it goes from blue to white and stays white until after I reboot. Just wondering what it means! Thank you once again!

Arak-Nafein
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much! Was sitting here at my gf's jury duty and remembered that I had not done this and gave it a try and now WiFi tethering is working with my Touchpad! Just need to go home and delete/rename the two files and I should be all set! Thank you so much!

Quick question if you don't mind, on the DX signal bar, what is the significance in a white vs blue color? I've noticed that since GB, it will switch from blue to white every so often and after i've enabled WiFi tethering, it goes from blue to white and stays white until after I reboot. Just wondering what it means! Thank you once again!

I'm curious about this as well.

savagerun
08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Pretty sure its white while searching for signal and blue when it connects.

Arak-Nafein
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Pretty sure its white while searching for signal and blue when it connects.

It stays white after using wifi tether/hotspot.

I can use 3G just fine & everything works perfectly.....it's just stuck on white until a reboot.

savagerun
08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
What happens when you just normally start your phone to browse or whatever does it usually start off white then stay blue? If it works i wouldnt worry about it. Im on miui which is froyo so its always white but GB goes from white to blue.

Arak-Nafein
08-31-2011, 05:40 PM
What happens when you just normally start your phone to browse or whatever does it usually start off white then stay blue? If it works i wouldnt worry about it. Im on miui which is froyo so its always white but GB goes from white to blue.

Normally, yes. It begins white, then after a few moments it turns blue. (Both the 3G symbol, and the signal strength bars)

After playing with it a bit.....while stuck in white, most things work.....like my browser(Opera mobile) the market & other things work.....but certain stuff will not. Vlingo says to check my connection, and Grooveshark is forced into offline mode.

What does the blue/white mean?

Also, if I put toggle airplane mode on/off it goes back to blue.

savagerun
08-31-2011, 05:55 PM
So if i understand you right it only happens after wifi tether. Try a different wifi tether app just to see what happens. I use open garden wifi tether without any issues. Its in the market free.

Snow02
08-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Blue means you have an open connection to google's servers, so if you don't, any apps that use google authentication may not work.

I noticed that after tethering, the signal icons would remain white as well. What is happening is that in an effort to stymie free tethering, when the system detects the IP re-routing from the tether app, the phone is forced into using the tethering NAI, which is a string used to differentiate between cellular data and tethered data. The patch makes the tethered NAI match the cellular one so that you don't hit the Verizon pay wall when you try to tether.

It seems that there is a bug that causes the phone to get stuck in tethered mode and prevents the reconnection with google's servers. Typically, toggling airplane mode will correct this.

savagerun
08-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Thats some very useful info to know. Thx. Wonder why i never had that issue after tethering. At least if it ever happens ill know what to do.

Arak-Nafein
08-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Blue means you have an open connection to google's servers, so if you don't, any apps that use google authentication may not work.

I noticed that after tethering, the signal icons would remain white as well. What is happening is that in an effort to stymie free tethering, when the system detects the IP re-routing from the tether app, the phone is forced into using the tethering NAI, which is a string used to differentiate between cellular data and tethered data. The patch makes the tethered NAI match the cellular one so that you don't hit the Verizon pay wall when you try to tether.

It seems that there is a bug that causes the phone to get stuck in tethered mode and prevents the reconnection with google's servers. Typically, toggling airplane mode will correct this.

Good info. I figured it was something like that but I wasn't aware of the specifics.

Thanks for the specifics. Now I gotta go research google authentication. :D

Xibalba
09-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Can anyone tell me if this patch works on omgb?

Thanks!
Mike

Snow02
09-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Can anyone tell me if this patch works on omgb?

Thanks!
Mike

You don't need it. It's only needed on stock gingerbread.

Xibalba
09-01-2011, 08:02 AM
You don't need it. It's only needed on stock gingerbread.

Cool. Thank you!

Mike7143
09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I was on a trip the other day and needed this patch. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it seems like this works hit or miss. I'm on 602 GB. I made a backup, flashed, and restarted. Fired up wifi tether, changed the SSID and encryption and etc. and then tried it out. Seemed to work fine. Then I turned it off, then back on and I couldn't get it to work again. Rebooted the phone and still couldn't get it to work. I gave up, went to a meeting. When I came back, I turned it back on and now it seems to be working. Are there any tips on how to get this to work reliably? It appears I have to reboot after turning off the wifi tether for it to work again.

gregzilla83
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
does this zip work for droid 3 and if so how do install the zip. when i boot into recovery i have no install from zip option.

Snow02
09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
does this zip work for droid 3 and if so how do install the zip. when i boot into recovery i have no install from zip option.

No. You need to do the manual method via radiocomm. I linked a thread with the how-to a few pages back.

chaz493
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
GAH this is so frustrating. These patches NEVER work for me. the orginal tbh patch didnt work, this doesnt work. How is it that some people it works for and some it doesnt. And i have had my phone replaced once so not only did it not work on my first droid x, it doesnt work on this one either. It starts to load a webpage, but then never finishes.

i just dont get it, i rarely use this, but when i need it i NEED it. and im not paying 20 bucks more a month for a total of 2 hours of use per month. bull****

gregzilla83
09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
No. You need to do the manual method via radiocomm. I linked a thread with the how-to a few pages back. Thanks for the response snow. I ended up doing the manual earlier today anyway, wasn't to difficult even for a rookie like myself. Still good to know for future reference. Really am missing my DROID X tho, life was just easier then lol

WugFresh
09-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the response snow. I ended up doing the manual earlier today anyway, wasn't to difficult even for a rookie like myself. Still good to know for future reference. Really am missing my DROID X tho, life was just easier then lol

Nice. I think that will be the way to go anyway.. It's impractical for me to try and develop something for devices I dont have.

{{ WugFresh }}

pstgh
09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the response snow. I ended up doing the manual earlier today anyway, wasn't to difficult even for a rookie like myself. Still good to know for future reference. Really am missing my DROID X tho, life was just easier then lol

GregZilla83> My wife is getting a new D3 which I assume is going to come with one of the stock GB Blur os's. Can you give me the quick overview of what you've done to yours when you have a minute? I'd like to root hers but I'm much more familiar with the DX. For starters, could you list which os you started from and the basic outline of where you've gone with it? Do you utilize the D2 bootstrapper / CWR that has worked so well for the DX?

Thanks

Chessnut
09-05-2011, 12:57 PM
After update to 602, tether has not been working. While there's no issues on Froyo apex 141.

Nemo aeternamn
09-05-2011, 01:01 PM
nice... i got a little mixed up....haha

Nemo aeternamn
09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
nice... i got a little mixed up...haha

Shawnmooney2
09-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks WUG... I figured I'd try out GB just because i wanted to see what the new Liberty was like but was hesitant to because i don't want to lose tether, but whats the worst that can happen... Nevertheless... after countless hours of messing with root explorer not only do my eyes hurt, but my wifi tether app works on Liberty GB v0.9... Here is what i ended up doing:

/etc/hosts open in text edit change the 0.0.0.0 local to 8.8.8.8 and save
/system/framework com.motorola.android.datamanger.base.jar rename with .bak at the end
/system/etc/hosts open in text edit make sure the 0.0.0.0 is changed to 8.8.8.8

bear in mind not all is necessary I'm sure, i spent like 5 hours playing in root explorer and opening the files in linux to read what was happening with each... nevertheless it worked... so for those of you that tried the patch and it wasn't quite enough... there is your temporary solution

I'm pretty sure you do not need to change the hosts as that is for ad blocking most of the time, but the data manger needs to be blocked in order for the tethering to work..DO NOT DELETE THIS... when you are finished tethering.. in order to use apps likes nimbuzz or gtalk again you must reverse the .bak addition... you're browser will work just fine with it blocked, but the apps can not access the network while the .bak is still there

WugFresh
09-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks Shawnmooney for the information.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
After update to 602, tether has not been working. While there's no issues on Froyo apex 141.

Hmm... I am about to start messing with 602... I hope they didn't patch the exploit. Snow... do you know what's up? Or does anybody else have info on 602..?

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
09-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Tethering works on .602 just fine. Just patch like always.

Chessnut was coming from froyo, where the patch wasn't needed.

bhavlo
09-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Tether is working for me on 602 as long as I access control disabled.

Chessnut
09-06-2011, 11:10 PM

Did the patch, still not working what the heck.

Chessnut
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Tether is working for me on 602 as long as I access control disabled.

What do you mean, I'd never have to do anything else on Froyo but tapped the on screen.

shawn
09-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Beta 1 - http://goo.gl/EMPQ2
Beta 2 - http://goo.gl/B4rJp

{{ WugFresh }}

downloading now will report back

and if you need anything tested for the x2 in the future just give me a shout

beta1
error in /sdcard/........./wugpacked_gb_dx_tether_patch_beta1.zip
(status 0)
installation aborted

beta2
error in /sdcard/........./wugpacked_gb_dx_tether_patch_beta2.zip
(status 0)
installation aborted

Snow02
09-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Did the patch, still not working what the heck.

Trust me. It works. If it's not, you're doing something wrong.

3club
09-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Hey guys, I did some testing for another thread and confirmed that the TBH tether patch has remained through all my travels from ROM to ROM, SBFing, etc. Here is the thread: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/34761-dxc-baseband-update-13p-20.html. It's post #98. Sorry, don't know how to link to an individual post.

@Mods, I originally posted that in the 13p thread, but looking back, I think it might be more appropriately posted in this thread. Would it be okay to post here also? I don't want to repost if it would be inappropriate.

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey guys, I did some testing for another thread and confirmed that the TBH tether patch has remained through all my travels from ROM to ROM, SBFing, etc. Here is the thread: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/34761-dxc-baseband-update-13p-20.html. It's post #98. Sorry, don't know how to link to an individual post.

@Mods, I originally posted that in the 13p thread, but looking back, I think it might be more appropriately posted in this thread. Would it be okay to post here also? I don't want to repost if it would be inappropriate.

I'm not a mod.. But it's not really cross posting unless you start multiple threads at the same time on the same thing.. If it's some long lost post that's buried in the archives of this forum and you think it's relevant.. Then go for it. Or link to it by right clicking the post number in the original thread and copying the link.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info. Can you still modify that app for me if I post the 602 version?

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
downloading now will report back

and if you need anything tested for the x2 in the future just give me a shout

beta1
error in /sdcard/........./wugpacked_gb_dx_tether_patch_beta1.zip
(status 0)
installation aborted

beta2
error in /sdcard/........./wugpacked_gb_dx_tether_patch_beta2.zip
(status 0)
installation aborted

It would be cool for me to make mods for other devices but it's rather tedious for me to do it without actually having the device. If I can get my hands on an X2 then I will happily make it.. But making lots of betas, posting them and having you test it is kind of an inefficient system. I usually fail a lot of times before I actually make anything that works. Snow posted a link for manually patching devices a few posts back. That's going to have to suffice for now. That said, I appreciate your willingness to test stuff for me. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

havensed
09-07-2011, 10:09 AM
No matter what wug, we love your work, thanks for doing what you do.

.602 GB, rooted wishing for the final bug free Apex, overclocked at 1.2, sporting Droid Bionic boot and theme

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 10:19 AM
No matter what wug, we love your work, thanks for doing what you do.

.602 GB, rooted wishing for the final bug free Apex, overclocked at 1.2, sporting Droid Bionic boot and theme

Thanks man :)

{{ WugFresh }}

Chessnut
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Trust me. It works. If it's not, you're doing something wrong.

OK, it didn't work, what now?

shawn
09-07-2011, 12:12 PM
It would be cool for me to make mods for other devices but it's rather tedious for me to do it without actually having the device. If I can get my hands on an X2 then I will happily make it.. But making lots of betas, posting them and having you test it is kind of an inefficient system. I usually fail a lot of times before I actually make anything that works. Snow posted a link for manually patching devices a few posts back. That's going to have to suffice for now. That said, I appreciate your willingness to test stuff for me. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

No prob but untill I get a PC that I can get adb to work on I'm out of luck for the manual method

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid X Forums

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
OK, it didn't work, what now?

Can you be more specific. How is it not working? Are you getting redirected to the Verizon page? Or are you having general connectivity issues?

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
No prob but untill I get a PC that I can get adb to work on I'm out of luck for the manual method

The manual method doesn't use adb.

Chessnut
09-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Can you be more specific. How is it not working? Are you getting redirected to the Verizon page? Or are you having general connectivity issues?

{{ WugFresh }}
Icon shows on status bar but, having issues when connecting. While it shows connection on pc, it never able to load.

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Icon shows on status bar but, having issues when connecting. While it shows connection on pc, it never able to load.

Make sure access control is disabled.

Before using the wifi tether app, toggle data off/on with a toggle widget and turn autosync off. Run wifi tether in the background. Turn screen timeout off.

Give it a seccond for your computer to connect.

You can also try deleting the connection in your computers wifi manager. Or toggling your wifi adapter off and on, on your computer.

{{ WugFresh }}

shawn
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
The manual method doesn't use adb.

I'll look again .just scanned it fast but thought it said when done to run some commands in adb

3club
09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm not a mod.. But it's not really cross posting unless you start multiple threads at the same time on the same thing.. If it's some long lost post that's buried in the archives of this forum and you think it's relevant.. Then go for it. Or link to it by right clicking the post number in the original thread and copying the link.

{{ WugFresh }}

Ah, thanks for that tip! I'll give it a try...

3club
09-07-2011, 04:25 PM
In the thread about the 13p radio update, I asked if it would overwrite the WugPacked GB Tether Patch. Reposting from http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/34761-dxc-baseband-update-13p-20.html#post426018

Okay, here's the scoop. I'm taking Macpro's advice, and being the first one to jump in to these waters. lol (like backpacking in the wilderness, you soon learn that you are NOT the first one who's been there!)

Short answer, it appears that the TBH is NOT overwritten by the 13p radio update. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining about that.

@Bubba, yes the update is universal to all roms.

Longer story: A month or two ago the Verizon told me to do an update, which brought me from Froyo to Gingerbread, breaking my tether. That was my forced intro to romming. I learned to SBF back to Froyo, then flashed the prerooted gingerbread so that I could install TBH's wireless tether patch. Time went by, and I found myself on Chevy's SSX, which never needed the patch in the first place (so I've read). It was around then that I did this 13p radio update, followed later by reflashing to the new SSX2.1 Then, after the one-click-root for GB, I SBFd to stock GB (590), and updated to 602, then tried Apex on the GB kernel. Now I'm back on stock Froyo, and getting ready to return to SSX2.1.

The point is that through all these travels, all the flashing and SBFing, my radio is still at 13p. Furthermore, to find the answer to my previous question, I started the manual method of applying the TBH hack that Snow gave a link to somewhere, and I found through RadioComm that my three values in nv are still all the same, so no, neither the 13p update nor any of the flashing of sbfing has undone the TBH patch. That makes me happy!

I don't tether very often, maybe once or twice a month when I'm at a client's house who only has dialup, not enough to justify the Verizon's surcharge. My total data usage seldom breaks 2GB, and the very vast majority of that is on the phone itself, Pandora and GPS navigation. I guess I'm taking a four pronged approach to covering my tracks:
1.) Don't abuse it, keep your usage low. Number one rule of survival in any situation: Don't look like food.
2.) The TBH radio hack seems to be universal and a one time thing, making all communications appear internal to the phone.
3.) The WugFresh package disables the database tracking the Verizon put into Gingerbread. ( I think Snow get's credit for that.)
4.) I'm using the wireless tether beta 6 from Google, which is also supposed to work around the issue.
5.) (I know I said four, lol) I think I will stick with 2nd-init roms for now, as I've read they don't need any patching anyway.

I believe that any one of those five methods should be sufficient, but I'm doing all 5, because I'm paranoid. Just because you accept being paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get you!

Snow02
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I'll look again .just scanned it fast but thought it said when done to run some commands in adb

Nope. It uses radiocomm. Look for version 11.11. Let me know if you can't find it.

spodoc
09-07-2011, 06:14 PM
In the thread about the 13p radio update, I asked if it would overwrite the WugPacked GB Tether Patch. Reposting from http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/34761-dxc-baseband-update-13p-20.html#post426018

Okay, here's the scoop. I'm taking Macpro's advice, and being the first one to jump in to these waters. lol (like backpacking in the wilderness, you soon learn that you are NOT the first one who's been there!)

Short answer, it appears that the TBH is NOT overwritten by the 13p radio update. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining about that.

@Bubba, yes the update is universal to all roms.

Longer story: A month or two ago the Verizon told me to do an update, which brought me from Froyo to Gingerbread, breaking my tether. That was my forced intro to romming. I learned to SBF back to Froyo, then flashed the prerooted gingerbread so that I could install TBH's wireless tether patch. Time went by, and I found myself on Chevy's SSX, which never needed the patch in the first place (so I've read). It was around then that I did this 13p radio update, followed later by reflashing to the new SSX2.1 Then, after the one-click-root for GB, I SBFd to stock GB (590), and updated to 602, then tried Apex on the GB kernel. Now I'm back on stock Froyo, and getting ready to return to SSX2.1.

The point is that through all these travels, all the flashing and SBFing, my radio is still at 13p. Furthermore, to find the answer to my previous question, I started the manual method of applying the TBH hack that Snow gave a link to somewhere, and I found through RadioComm that my three values in nv are still all the same, so no, neither the 13p update nor any of the flashing of sbfing has undone the TBH patch. That makes me happy!

I don't tether very often, maybe once or twice a month when I'm at a client's house who only has dialup, not enough to justify the Verizon's surcharge. My total data usage seldom breaks 2GB, and the very vast majority of that is on the phone itself, Pandora and GPS navigation. I guess I'm taking a four pronged approach to covering my tracks:
1.) Don't abuse it, keep your usage low. Number one rule of survival in any situation: Don't look like food.
2.) The TBH radio hack seems to be universal and a one time thing, making all communications appear internal to the phone.
3.) The WugFresh package disables the database tracking the Verizon put into Gingerbread. ( I think Snow get's credit for that.)
4.) I'm using the wireless tether beta 6 from Google, which is also supposed to work around the issue.
5.) (I know I said four, lol) I think I will stick with 2nd-init roms for now, as I've read they don't need any patching anyway.

I believe that any one of those five methods should be sufficient, but I'm doing all 5, because I'm paranoid. Just because you accept being paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get you!

Number 3 does 2 and 4 while removing the tracking absent in 5.

shawn
09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Nope. It uses radiocomm. Look for version 11.11. Let me know if you can't find it.

Did the manual method
Had to leave before I could test it looks like everything went like it should

budelight
09-07-2011, 09:04 PM
This was just installed on my phone and it works great!

Sorry if this is a repetitive post, i did not see it addressed after several google and thread searches.

However now my voice search is not working... It says "connection problem"

About my phone:
Droid X
BP_c_01.09.13P
45.1_57_DX5-32
Using Wifi Teather 3.0-pre14***Experimental***

Thank you Wug, Snow and 3club for supporting the community!!! We tip our hats to you :)

Budelight

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 09:18 PM
This was just installed on my phone and it works great!

Sorry if this is a repetitive post, i did not see it addressed after several google and thread searches.

However now my voice search is not working... It says "connection problem"

About my phone:
Droid X
BP_c_01.09.13P
45.1_57_DX5-32
Using Wifi Teather 3.0-pre14***Experimental***

Thank you Wug, Snow and 3club for supporting the community!!! We tip our hats to you :)

Budelight

When you are tethering, don't try and use apps that use data; just use your device as a WiFi hub. Simply stop tethering, toggle your data connection off/on with a toggle widget like Powercontrol Plus or Wigetsoid... and then resume normal usage. When you are tethering, your data connection is being primarily dedicated to tether usage...

{{ WugFresh }}

budelight
09-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I should have been more clear.

This is a post tethering experience.

I have not tried to use voice search while tethering. Per your recommendation i tried toggling my data sync on and off... also tried airplane mode.
Toggling airplane mode did in fact allow me to use voice search again.

Now after the airplane mode toggle i have no problem tethering and then using voice search.

Thank you for helping me to derive this solution :-)
Budelight

PS. i signed up just to ask for your help so thank you for making it worth my time!!

WugFresh
09-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I should have been more clear.

This is a post tethering experience.

I have not tried to use voice search while tethering. Per your recommendation i tried toggling my data sync on and off... also tried airplane mode.
Toggling airplane mode did in fact allow me to use voice search again.

Now after the airplane mode toggle i have no problem tethering and then using voice search.

Thank you for helping me to derive this solution :-)
Budelight

PS. i signed up just to ask for your help so thank you for making it worth my time!!

No problem. Glad I could help. I've always said to people that toggling solves nearly 80% of all tech-related problems :) Turning things off and then back on is often the ultimate cure.

{{ WugFresh }}

jaysunp
09-08-2011, 12:39 AM
This may have been addressed somewhere that I have been unable to find...I have been attempting to use your tethering patch and have been unable to apply it. I am running the rooted GB rom... 2.3.3; 13P radio; sys .602. I initially accepted the OTA upgrade to GB then, like so many others, found that tethering no longer worked. SO I sbf'd to Froyo and then flashed the rooted GB distribution. Got redirected to Verizon...blah, blah, blah. At this point, I am unable to get either DX or D2 bootstrapper to work. When I click Bootstrap recovery, I get the Success message. When I click reboot recovery, nothing apparently happens. If I reboot holding the home key, I get the little icon but no navigation to choose the WugFresh .zip file.

Can you help me out? I really just want to get the tethering working again. Not for masses of data, just for occasional convenience. Any advice from all of the experienced users here would be greatly appreciated.

spodoc
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
No problem. Glad I could help. I've always said to people that toggling solves nearly 80% of all tech-related problems :) Turning things off and then back on is often the ultimate cure.

{{ WugFresh }}

And then a battery pull for the other 20%