PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this yet??? Drew Garen CM7

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
DrewGaren’s CyanMod 7 for DX

So I finally have a build ready for beta testing. It is not the final version of DG CyanogenMod 7 that I will be releasing but it is a stable build. There are no modifications to the build as of yet but in the future final release there will be. The build took for ever to make because it wasn’t properly working on my macs or linux in virtual machine. However, I used a linux box and worked fine.

What Works: I’m not going to list everything, because almost everything works.

What Doesn’t Work: Torch, Camera Currently (However I have fixed this in the next release), 2.3.4 GAPPS Market (Use 2.3.3 GAPPS),

Download beta 1 here

I will update my progress and builds throughout my latest news section, so stay tuned!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

DieseL
06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Kind of blatant isn't it? I guess he'll wait on the nightlies to fix the bugs.

Alpha25100
06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
What is this?!

Leach19m
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
So......he copied CM7 and didn't even bother to change the name?

Loving me some CM4DX

rickkane
06-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Kang balls.

macpro88
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, interesting, wish I could say more, but my advice is to stay away, if you want full support for CM7 and for the real CM experience, follow no one by CM and cvpcs themselves, and only get updates/nighties from ROM Manager or from their own mirror network: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=cdma_shadow)

Asharad
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I thought the assumption was that many new ROMs would be based on CM7. Why does he get beat up for that?

Leach19m
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Hmmm, interesting, wish I could say more, but my advice is to stay away, if you want full support for CM7 and for the real CM experience, follow no one by CM and cvpcs themselves, and only get updates/nighties from ROM Manager or from their own mirror network: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=cdma_shadow)

I concur. Why would anyone want a hacked version when the official, supported version is free and updates regularly?

Loving me some CM4DX

fc127
06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
The funniest part is how he says he "compiled" it himself... And it only took him about a week. Didn't it take cvpcs like 9 months?

Leach19m
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I thought the assumption was that many new ROMs would be based on CM7. Why does he get beat up for that?

Lol cause this doesn't look like its based on CM7, this looks like it is CM7. Without credit given, I'm sure. And its not the first time he's done something like this

Loving me some CM4DX

fc127
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM

It's not a new ROM, he's passing it off as CM7... Not "based on CM7"

Edit: Ninja skills at work...

popcenator
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Edit: Stated enough above.

on the move..

truckroot
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
What's that one site... ripoff.com?

Asharad
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Without credit given, I'm sure.

The credit is in the name..... if he totally renamed it and called it his own, I would agree with the rest of you

Leach19m
06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
The credit is in the name..... if he totally renamed it and called it his own, I would agree with the rest of you

I disagree. If I copied a painting and called it by the same name without stating that it isn't my painting, am I giving credit to the original painter?

Edit: his track record is to do what you stated though. One of his recent "ROMs" was almost a bit for bit copy of apex...or so I've read.

Loving me some CM4DX

fc127
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM

He changed the name enough to make it questionable. CyanMod7? Awfully close to CyanogenMod 7, but enough change to identify between the two.

This has been on his site for a few days now. I have neglected to comment on it because he has a few followers here who seem to be blind to the things he does.

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Yea i got a laugh outta it, i used to think he was ok till now, what a joke. Now i see why he wont post on any forums.

Sent from my Xoom using Droid X Forums

macpro88
06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I would compare it to opening up a chain of burger joints and calling it "McDonald's" and serve that same stuff. If it was never trademarked, sure, use it, but it still don't make its right to use the same name without giving credit where its due. And yes, it took CM months to create what they have now. The fact that he "de-compiled" it and then "re-compiled" don't mean he actually did anything. Made a few small minor changes to make it "his" and then pass it off and use the CM name to market it to get more downloads and traffic? He never posts in other forums for a reason.... I personally have never been a fan, and I will stop there.

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Half tempted to dl n see what its like but idk if i trust it not to lock my junk up like a bad cramp

Leach19m
06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Half tempted to dl n see what its like but idk if i trust it not to lock my junk up like a bad cramp

I wouldn't. Even if it doesn't screw your phone up, it'll encourage him to keep doing it

Loving me some CM4DX

DroidXDoes
06-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Ill stick with the REAL CM7....

3rotorRX8
Also notist its not in RM, all his other roms n nightlies are,, kind of odd

Wulf
Looks like some mob action going on, grab the stakes, torch and rope. GET HIM!!! LOL.
Sorry couldn't resist.

Ginger Man has just entered into the darkside.....

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't. Even if it doesn't screw your phone up, it'll encourage him to keep doing it

Loving me some CM4DX

True true, just wanted to see how bad of a rip it was

fc127
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM

That's the thing about his ROMs... They are decent. I'm sure the DG CM7 will be the same as the touted CM4DX RC0. He even states that the things that are broken are the same as the real deal...

macpro88
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
That's the thing about his ROMs... They are decent. I'm sure the DG CM7 will be the same as the touted CM4DX RC0. He even states that the things that are broken are the same as the real deal...

And once cvpcs finds a fix for the major bugs, so will he, magically at the same time....

iphonekiller
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
DrewGaren’s CyanMod 7 for DX

So I finally have a build ready for beta testing. It is not the final version of DG CyanogenMod 7 that I will be releasing but it is a stable build. There are no modifications to the build as of yet but in the future final release there will be. The build took for ever to make because it wasn’t properly working on my macs or linux in virtual machine. However, I used a linux box and worked fine.

What Works: I’m not going to list everything, because almost everything works.

What Doesn’t Work: Torch, Camera Currently (However I have fixed this in the next release), 2.3.4 GAPPS Market (Use 2.3.3 GAPPS),

Download beta 1 here

I will update my progress and builds throughout my latest news section, so stay tuned!

Just out of curiosity, where did you find this?

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Meaning a complete hack job

Leach19m

I'm sure it will be the same, as in sure it IS the same.

Loving me some CM4DX

3rotorRX8
Just out of curiosity, where did you find this?

His web sight

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm sure it will be the same, as in sure it IS the same.

Loving me some CM4DX

With u there

3rotorRX8
06-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I've ran some of "his " roms and they are clean n smooth but now idk how much were "his " work

mikeinrichmond
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Follow the Rom developers on Twitter and you will find out what they think about the DG situation...

(Swypin' my Bolt on the go)

Droid-Xer
06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Since this is not a new ROM and we don't support piracy, I think its best we close this up before tjis gets worse.