PDA

View Full Version : Current Verizon Subscribers Get To Keep Their Unlimited Data Plan Afterall?

wicked
06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/wicked/article/verizon-existing1.jpg

If you want to get in with Verizonís current data plans but arenít a current smartphone subscriber, you better hurry up an get with the program before the rumored July 7th change to tiered opricing. The date isnít certain, but a Verizon spokesperson has confirmed that the new data plans uncovered yesterday will indeed go into effect this summer. If you are a current subscriber, you may be in luck, however, as DroidLife has uncovered some info that suggests your old data plan (unlimited data included) will be grandfathered in past the cut-off date. Whatís more, those same data plans should even live on through contract renewals and upgrades for as long as you are a Verizon subscriber.

The writing is on the wall, but take it as a rumor for now. We wonít know exactly how Verizonís new data plans will shake out until they become official.

Droid -Life (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28droid+life%29)

MICHO
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Well that's a bit of good news.

mugz91
06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Well that's a bit of good news.

Yup. We'll take whatever good news we can get.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Zantar6
06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I feel it's judgement day and we have been spared by the almighty big red

FYI: Gingerbread ApeX 2.0 RC1
I typed this all by myself on my phone like a big boy :D

WyldRyce
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Awesome news considering I'll be upgrading to a new phone in the fall.

TideFan22
06-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Sweet, tiered plan would suck

Some smooth running Blue Steel CM7

Getsome122
06-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Good to hear. Cringed at thought of having to pay full price for all future upgrades to avoid renewing contract.

twitter- getsome_122

TheBigBentley
06-21-2011, 06:09 PM
What ever happened to things getting cheaper? This whole industry seems backwards. Isn't the whole point of advancement to advance? If technology advances the prices are supposed to go down, not up. If I'm not using 4g then why should the same old 3g data all of a sudden cost more?

I hate the telecommunications industry.

Gomerm
06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Thank God. I would be screwed. I use 15 to 20 gigs a month.

mikeinrichmond
06-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Hopefully this will hold true, but of course VZW can change the rules whenever they feel like, so before re-upping and signing that new contract, read the FINE print..

mikeinrichmond
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM

You still might be, if 15-20 Gigs a month puts you in the 'top 5%' of data users that they are actively pursuing...

Gomerm
06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
You still might be, if 15-20 Gigs a month puts you in the 'top 5%' of data users that they are actively pursuing...

They will have a fight on their hands. That's without tethering.

Getsome122
06-21-2011, 06:48 PM

If you are not tethering what in the heck are you doing to use up that much data? Even Bluetooth tethering my Xoom I haven't gone over 5 gigs ever. Do you just never have it on wifi?

twitter- getsome_122

MICHO
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
If you are not tethering what in the heck are you doing to use up that much data? Even Bluetooth tethering my Xoom I haven't gone over 5 gigs ever. Do you just never have it on wifi?

twitter- getsome_122

Nope.

Droid Diggler
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I use anywhere from 3 to 10 gigs a month without any tethering. It depends on how many roms and themes I download. I get my money's worth out of Netflix too. I

Gomerm
06-21-2011, 08:29 PM

twitter- getsome_122

I do a lot of video chat. I'm on netflix constantly. No wifi right now. When I get my internet back up then it won't be that bad but until I will continue to punish big red lol.

YvesSaintYuki
06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that they will slow down or throttle peoples connection that go over the 2gb mark that's on the unlimited plans.. I checked my data I use 0.247gb of data a month and I'm a heavy data user.. But I'm also always on wifi unless I'm at work or going somewhere.. I say about 90% of the time I'm on wifi..

RudyN
06-21-2011, 10:34 PM
My wife is thinking of getting a Droid X for her new phone, but I don't think she will use hardly any data so the lowest priced tier would be fine for her.

maybish
06-21-2011, 10:53 PM
the news said that verizon will be charging for new AND renewing customers. i hope theyre wrong!!

Leach19m
06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I think if they try to charge existing customers the tiered rates, they are going to lose a rather substantial amount of money every month. It'll be the best thing that ever happened to Sprint haha.

I doubt that'll be the case though. I was on AT&T when they rolled out their tiered plans, and as an existing customer I would have kept my unlimited data had I renewed instead of switching to the Droid X on VZW

cmurf70
06-22-2011, 05:21 AM
What a ripoff! Do we really think they will allow us to keep our unlimited data for $30? I seriously doubt it. I'd say were all screwed after our current contracts are up. I will definitely be shopping around, 2gb for $30 is ridiculous.

Snow02
06-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Even if they won't let you keep the unlimited plan through an upgrade, you can always pick up a phone off contract for not much more than the subsidized price.

However, it appears that you can keep the plan through an upgrade, so rather than get all faux outraged, how about waiting until they say otherwise.

selcric
06-22-2011, 06:23 AM
However, it appears that you can keep the plan through an upgrade, so rather than get all faux outraged, how about waiting until they say otherwise.

Serious +1

Being faux outraged is way too easy.
Patience is a virtue.

fc127
06-22-2011, 06:36 AM
faux outraged

HA! Nice.

gbrinn
06-22-2011, 04:37 PM
My wife's on the $15, 150MB plan at the moment...debating moving her up to the unlimited plan to "protect" my bill against future changes by Verizon.

Snow02
06-22-2011, 04:42 PM
My wife's on the $15, 150MB plan at the moment...debating moving her up to the unlimited plan to "protect" my bill against future changes by Verizon.

Do it.

Sefirosu
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I hope this is true. I'd love to keep my unlimited plan.

Garemlin
06-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Grandfathering has been confirmed.

Verizon Shares Tiered Data Pricing During Employee Training, Confirms Everything We Already Told You - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/22/verizon-shares-tiered-data-pricing-during-employee-training-confirms-everything-we-already-told-you/)

Sefirosu
06-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Awesome!

wicked
06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Here's an actual Verizon retailer indirect email:

As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.
$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11
EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)
EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature
NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package
NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan
BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have
BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.
Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)
-- ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )

New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:

$30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage
$50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage
$80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.
Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan
If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.
Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.
These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)
SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data, and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone)
PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.
Please call, text or e-mail me any questions or concerns you might have.

Source: Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail)

skennelly
06-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Good to hear. Cringed at thought of having to pay full price for all future upgrades to avoid renewing contract.

twitter- getsome_122

Same here. I had already planned on purchasing my next phone on ebay, slightly used.

GoBlue13
06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Actual Verizon retailer indirect email:

[/INDENT]

This is great news!!!

CyanogenMod7 Rocks!!!!!!!

Leach19m
06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
But we can still faux rage for fun?

Loving me some CM4DX

GoBlue13
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM
But we can still faux rage for fun?

Loving me some CM4DX

Sounds good to me.

CyanogenMod7 Rocks!!!!!!!

kaution
06-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Just for the heluva it I was hoping to get the droid bionic before their new data models take effect just to be covered....

wicked
06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Just for the heluva it I was hoping to get the droid bionic before their new data models take effect just to be covered....

If you have a smatphone now with the $29.99 unlimited plan then you're good to go. If not, I suggest getting a cheap smartphone off craigslist or eBay and get the plan before July 7th then when the Bionic launches, just upgrade to it.

inceptor
06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
What ever happened to things getting cheaper? This whole industry seems backwards. Isn't the whole point of advancement to advance? If technology advances the prices are supposed to go down, not up. If I'm not using 4g then why should the same old 3g data all of a sudden cost more?

I hate the telecommunications industry.

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you have to understand that the telecommunication industry isn't about the communication, it's about the money. And, we only have ourselves to blame.

tycoon177
06-23-2011, 11:29 PM
If you have a smatphone now with the $29.99 unlimited plan then you're good to go. If not, I suggest getting a cheap smartphone off craigslist or eBay and get the plan before July 7th then when the Bionic launches, just upgrade to it.

So our unlimited data from 3g will transfer to 4g? If so, SWEET!

Sent from my rooted/gingerbread/fast/awesome droid x

inceptor
06-23-2011, 11:34 PM
One of the things that brought me off the fence considering a smart phone, was knowing that the tierd pricing was about to start. I just hope that they don't do something sneaky like throttle my data over a certain amount of usage.

Like posted above, only time will tell.

tycoon177
06-23-2011, 11:36 PM
One of the things that brought me off the fence considering a smart phone, was knowing that the tierd pricing was about to start. I just hope that they don't do something sneaky like throttle my data over a certain amount of usage.

Like posted above, only time will tell.

They already do that. Unfortunately, I don't think it takes much, I think only two or three gigs

Sent from my rooted/gingerbread/fast/awesome droid x

redrider766
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Although I love my phone I will drop everything including vzw if they up my price! Bunch of theives they are

CyberDanz
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=TheBigBentley;351258]What ever happened to things getting cheaper? This whole industry seems backwards. Isn't the whole point of advancement to advance? If technology advances the prices are supposed to go down, not up. If I'm not using 4g then why should the same old 3g data all of a sudden cost more?

I totally agree! Most things in general are made of cheaper quality for whatever the reason (e.g. fiberglass/carbon on cars to lighten the weight) and yet charge more for it. Look at verizons new Android 2.3.3 (4.5.596) phone update. Wi-Fi Tethering and Wi-Fi Hotspot are integrated into the settings menu appearing like a new option that is already accessible. Then upon trying to use it, you get a URL stating you need to subscribe to this service in addition to your already existing unlimited data plan just to use those options. That crazy or what? What is unlimited data if you can't share it with your own devices at home? Why pay extra for other devices when you already pay for unlimited data? C'mon! There's got to be a way Verizon can allow you to assign (x)number of mac addresses for your other devices to use Wi-Fi w/o additional charges preventing non-customers from using the Wi-Fi connection. It's not rocket science!

spodoc
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
In general things don't get cheaper with time. Inflation takes care of that. Competition may temporarily bring prices down from the stratosphere if a company got runaway with things, but to expect that your cell phone bill will be cheaper next year? IMO it's unrealistic.

Mike7143
06-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd agree that things should get cheaper too. It just appears that in some markets, especially this mobile wireless market, some have figured out consumers will still pay increasing prices. At some point they'll overdraw the well and things will change. But that'll happen when there's only verizon and att. Or the government steps in lol.

I'm a mobile man.

YvesSaintYuki
06-29-2011, 02:19 AM
This is great cause I just reactivated my second line which has a upgrade in Sept. getting the Bionic with that and my main line has a upgrade on 3/12 can't wait to see whats out then..

Lane W
06-29-2011, 11:20 PM

No doubt that person you're responding to is amongst those who abuse the service and is why VZW is tightening things with the tiered plan. Don't get me wrong, "unlimited" is what it is, but I really suspect VZW will eventually find a way (if they haven't already) to discover those who really take advantage of the service :omg: and subsequently retard the signal/service that is used to provide service specifically to those people. Similar to governors on rental cars & uHauls back in the old days :rolleyes: Businesses may not give a crap since it's all a write off, but the 'average" consumer(s) expecting "unlimited" are going to be irate :mad2: Methinks lawsuits are inevitable...

Just my $.02...

gbrinn
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
I upgraded my wife from the 150MB plan to the 29.99 unlimited plan today. They said she'd be grandfathered in with the $15 plan (as it is already no longer available), but if I ever needed to up her data, then I'd have been screwed later, paying $30 for just 2GB as a minimum.

Lane W
07-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I upgraded my wife from the 150MB plan to the 29.99 unlimited plan today. They said she'd be grandfathered in with the $15 plan (as it is already no longer available), but if I ever needed to up her data, then I'd have been screwed later, paying $30 for just 2GB as a minimum.

GOOD DECISION. If she ever wants to use it more, discovers features she may not have known were on it or finds apps that she will benefit from, now you guys are safe from unnecessary bills. I think ONE youtube song is like 200-250MB :confused: so I think this was the best plan for you and your wife; especially based upon what Wicked posted 6/22.

As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11
EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)
EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature
NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package

I caught/read a similar rumor mid February that apple iphones were not going to be allowed the unlimited plan through VZW. My 2 yr contract (LG 8360 dumb phone) expired 2/11/11 and I researched online & kept up to date with the current "news" about this. I believed that since iphones were being denied unlimited it may be one of two possibilities (1) a matter of time till this effects ALL smartphones (2) VZW will allow existing customers to be grandfathered. So on April 5th I bought a Droid X online from Target Mobile for FREE (provided I commit to another 2yr contract, which I did). Funny how Droid X was $199 in a Target store and online it was free and even had a 30 satisfaction guarantee. Since I thought the earpiece and speakerphone sucked, I called for a replacement. They said "mail back your phone and we'll send you another." I said, "No thanks. You send me a replacement and once I receive it I'll send you back the defective unit." It was delivered in 24 hours - now I just hope it never breaks...

Good luck with your new contract & plan :)

gbrinn
07-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, wasn't much of a debate for me, especially now that Netflix is available on the DX (This gives us one more tool to help keep the back seat quiet on those road trips to Myrtle Beach, et). Doesn't take too much video streaming to eat up a limited data plan.

JoeX
07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Verizon confirms it will ditch unlimited smartphone data plans starting July 7
July 5, 2011 — 10:47am ET | By Phil Goldstein

Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) will switch to a new, usage-based pricing model for smartphone data starting July 7, a company spokeswoman confirmed.

Verizon confirms it will ditch unlimited smartphone data plans starting July 7 - FierceWireless (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-confirms-it-will-ditch-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-starting-jul/2011-07-05)

Lane W
07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Here's an actual Verizon retailer indirect email:

07/05/2011 Verizon confirms unlimited plans will not be offered to "new customers" anymore

Here's the link:

Verizon speaks up, confirms usage-based data plans are coming July 7th -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/verizon-speaks-up-confirms-usage-based-data-plans-are-coming-ju/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl6|sec3_lnk1|218035)