PDA

View Full Version : Stock Browser Components

SaurusX
06-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I tried out Apex RC2, but the one thing I could not stand was the +/- buttons in the browser. What are all of the components needed to swap the browser back to the .596 stock version? I tried just swapping out the Browser.apk in system/app and setting the permissions, but that doesn't work. I posted this here instead of the Apex thread, since I thought this question would apply to more than just Apex.

dschwartz0815
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Add the apk like this in terminal.
su
sys -rw
cp /sdcard/APKNAME.apk /system/app
chmod 755 /system/app/APKNAME.apk

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

SaurusX
06-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Those are Fab's instructions, yes. However, there must be some more changes within the ROM, because after punching in those commands and replacing the Apex Browser.apk with the stock Browser.apk I just get an error message trying to launch the browser. This happens even after a reboot.

dschwartz0815
06-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Use titanium back up and freeze the one u dont want

SaurusX
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Given that they're both named "Browser.apk" there can be only one in system/app at any time. There's more to it than a simple swap or freeze. There has to be something more than that one apk. Any devs out there know what to do?

dschwartz0815
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm telling you that's all u do. That's what I did and worked fine

SaurusX
06-22-2011, 08:46 AM
OK, could you walk me through the process then? I have saved the Browser.apk from stock .596 on my sdcard and then after installing Apex RC2 I do the following commands:

su
sys -rw
cp /sdcard/Browser.apk /system/app
chmod 755 /system/app/Browser.apk

I reboot, but now when I click the browser icon in the launcher it tells me app is not installed. If I freeze Browser in TiBu isn't this just going to freeze the Browser.apk that I just overwrote? I just need the proper steps to follow and I think I'll be good.

dschwartz0815
06-22-2011, 01:15 PM
When u follow that code it installs the app as a SYSTEM APP. But if u want rename the one u want and redo that code again with the new name. Then go and try freezing browser again

SaurusX
06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Sorry for being a doubter. I renamed it to blurBrowser.apk ran the commands and all is right now.

dschwartz0815
06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
No problem man glad it worked