PDA

View Full Version : End all on tethering issue...

TMFGO45
06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Okay, maybe I'm going to get flamed for yet another post on this subject, or maybe people will actually like some consolidated information...we will see.

Please keep this thread on topic, so people can understand it, and get the exact information they need, thanks in advance.

Now, I'm desperately close to upgrading to gb via the pre-rooted 2 file method, but I refuse to do it without knowing I can wirelessly tether, without having issues with it, our having it only work sporadically.
From all I can gather, I still don't know what the deal is.

Number 1: Any final determination on exactly what to do to properly tether without fear from VZW?

Number 2: There's the team black hat patch..is this an absolute requirement? And a link to the correct file needed that's up to date?

Number 3: There's this... http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/07/tip-droidx-gingerbread-wireless-tether-work-around/

Number 4: I also see a couple threads from Snow, saying to freeze some data item, and delete the database file.

So, those are three different items involving tethering. Can someone clarify how they all work together, if they all must be done, or just which ones are necessary period?

I would love to be on gb, already have the files downloaded actually, but won't pull the trigger till I fully understand how this tethering thing is going. Thanks everyone.

Please be nice :)

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

cleopete
06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Try Cyanogen. You lose camcorder and won't get to play with the new Hulu Plus App, but you can tether until the cows come home and enable security on their router. Don't know if VZ can send the flying monkeys after you for doing it, but it appears to be the same deal as Froyo (same kernel). There is a workaround floating around to fix the camera Netflix, YouTube and other various video playback probs, and you'll want to install that right away but that has been well documented at the CM7 sticky. The battery life is pretty lame, but not so bad as to be a deal breaker for most. Personally I'm sick of dinking around with GB "fixes" which have never worked for me, but I never used it much to begin with.

Seeing as you are on stock Froyo, I'd be curious to know if the Hulu app works for you, if you're subscribed....

mikeinrichmond
06-24-2011, 05:36 AM
You are always taking a risk that you will be detected when you tether, and it is easier for VZW to do so on GB builds, and especially easy if you are using >= 20Gb/month...So know that going in.. Despite 'fixes' etc., if I wanted to tether on a fairly consistent basis, I'd stay on Froyo...

dschwartz0815
06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
^^^^^^^^^
Best answer ur guna get. Might as well close thread lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TMFGO45
06-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I use 5gb or less a month because I only tether to play xbox. So out send to me that I can upgrade and do the patch, and be fine. If they say something to me, then I guess it's time to ante up. I've never gone over that anyway, so maybe I will just be fine. Looks like I'm upgrading.

Would be nice if at least one person could tell me if I ned to do all the rings in my first post, or maybe just certain ones?

Xponentially Better
06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
I use 5gb or less a month because I only tether to play xbox. So out send to me that I can upgrade and do the patch, and be fine. If they say something to me, then I guess it's time to ante up. I've never gone over that anyway, so maybe I will just be fine. Looks like I'm upgrading.

Would be nice if at least one person could tell me if I ned to do all the rings in my first post, or maybe just certain ones?

Snow said that if you tether on gb it tracks it and logs it as tethering not regular data usage like using the internet on your phone. He did say the freeze and delete part but if you do that and verizon finds out, which I'm sure they will, you will most definitely be in some kinda hot water for sure. Best idea is staying on froyo or cyanogenmod 7.

TMFGO45
06-25-2011, 11:29 AM
I refuse to use cyanogen unless they get everything working. I longe to use my stuff, and generally when it works, that's the best.

Vidfinnx
06-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Heres to hopefully getting off froyo back to gb someday

sent from Droid X
on good ole froyo
Rubix focused 2.0.1

brandonfish
06-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Snow said that if you tether on gb it tracks it and logs it as tethering not regular data usage like using the internet on your phone. He did say the freeze and delete part but if you do that and verizon finds out, which I'm sure they will, you will most definitely be in some kinda hot water for sure. Best idea is staying on froyo or cyanogenmod 7.

I doubt Verizon would find out or punish anyone for the database delete. Most ROMS don't even contain this database or the service that creates it. Plus, the prospect that Verizon Wireless would terminate contracts or put paying customers in "hot water" over a couple dollars does not make business sense. That being said, I have not heard about any cases of a Verizon response to this database mod. Have you?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TMFGO45
06-25-2011, 11:58 PM
I haven't. And I'm not really worried either. My main concern was what steps needed to be taken to ensure the tethering will function ;)

brandonfish
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I just set up this guide to wireless tethering (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/30698-guide-wireless-tethering-your-own-risk.html), use at your own risk and whatnot. : )

TMFGO45
07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Okay, will I finally jumped into this. And I have some information to report. I'm back on Froyo.

I went with the 2 zip file, pre rooted. Downloaded the wifi tether app suggested. Did the database freeze and removal, and...nothing. Vzw splash page.

Clearly, the only way to truly do this, is with the team black hat hack. Which is damn near impossible to find, actually, I never did find it. Anyway, I did like honeycomb. But I won't make the switch again until I have to.

That's it.

spodoc
07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Okay, will I finally jumped into this. And I have some information to report. I'm back on Froyo.

I went with the 2 zip file, pre rooted. Downloaded the wifi tether app suggested. Did the database freeze and removal, and...nothing. Vzw splash page.

Clearly, the only way to truly do this, is with the team black hat hack. Which is damn near impossible to find, actually, I never did find it. Anyway, I did like honeycomb. But I won't make the switch again until I have to.

That's it.

Most of what is posted in your reply is not true. I wish I had time to dissect it and correct but I'm unbelievably slammed. To me it appears you don't have a firm grasp on the subject. I say all that in kindness. It's complicated subject and requires some time on your part.

And yes, Mike's response is dead on right. If you must tether, it is likely that the risk is lower on froyo. No one that truly knows what that risk is has spoken up yet. The closest we have come is p3 telling us not to but offering not much more than that. Good luck :)

TMFGO45
07-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Most of what is posted in your reply is not true. I wish I had time to dissect it and correct but I'm unbelievably slammed. To me it appears you don't have a firm grasp on the subject. I say all that in kindness. It's complicated subject and requires some time on your part.

And yes, Mike's response is dead on right. If you must tether, it is likely that the risk is lower on froyo. No one that truly knows what that risk is has spoken up yet. The closest we have come is p3 telling us not to but offering not much more than that. Good luck :)

Most of my reply isn't true? Please come back and dissect my post. I have a pretty good grasp on the subject actually, the problem is that people who know how to make this work won't come and help the others. Notice the name of my post, and yet, here we are with no answers or help on this subject to actually accomplish what we want. Nothing definitive.

I tried to get it working, and I could not. If you know something I don't, please, by all means, help the rest of the class, we sure would appreciate it.

And as for the risk, I'm not worried. The worst they would do is say pay us more, which I would then do. So what's the deal, how do we do this...once and for all!!!

The persuader
07-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Their is too a Definitive Answer...and we do Pay more indirectly...Maybe that's why they are changing so many Plans and Fee's...Hello...:omg::smile:

"Pay for a Service for Tethering..."

I guess I am "Old School" if you want it you "Pay For It"

RnD_Solo
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Verizon can't tell you how you can use your phone. If you want to use it as a router its none of thier business. Courts already have precedent for this. Delete the proper files so they can't see what you do for obvious reasons..if you get in some kind of "hot water" then you have a privacy issue. I see this going to the courts very soon. I'm gonna keep using my phone to tether and if/when verizon decides to give me a call I'm gonna say "I have unlimited data, and why the hell are you monitoring my phone" then proceed to laugh when all they can see is just a large amount of data usage and nothing else...just my take on it..to each his own.

spodoc
07-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Most of my reply isn't true? Please come back and dissect my post. I have a pretty good grasp on the subject actually, the problem is that people who know how to make this work won't come and help the others. Notice the name of my post, and yet, here we are with no answers or help on this subject to actually accomplish what we want. Nothing definitive.

I tried to get it working, and I could not. If you know something I don't, please, by all means, help the rest of the class, we sure would appreciate it.

And as for the risk, I'm not worried. The worst they would do is say pay us more, which I would then do. So what's the deal, how do we do this...once and for all!!!

Well for starters the vzw splash screen comes up when you use the 3g hotspots app. That is what is patched by tbh. That is independent from wireless tether.

As far as no one knowledgeable posting in your thread I can't speak as to why or why not people do things but if I had to guess they must not think the subject is interesting anymore. All that can be said has been said at this point.

There is some great dialog on dxf and we archive the threads so that once its said it's said. A notable exception of course would be an emergency " help I've bricked my phone". Folks here are nice enough to repeat themselves for emergencies because we've all been there.

As for me, I get about 10 min a day walking between buildings and its just not enough time to post thoughtfully anymore.

spodoc
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Verizon can't tell you how you can use your phone. If you want to use it as a router its none of thier business. Courts already have precedent for this. Delete the proper files so they can't see what you do for obvious reasons..if you get in some kind of "hot water" then you have a privacy issue. I see this going to the courts very soon. I'm gonna keep using my phone to tether and if/when verizon decides to give me a call I'm gonna say "I have unlimited data, and why the hell are you monitoring my phone" then proceed to laugh when all they can see is just a large amount of data usage and nothing else...just my take on it..to each his own.

While many of us agree with this, it's off topic from the thread. The op wants clarification on when/ where to tether. Fact is vzw is cracking down like it or not. The op is not looking to make an example out of himself.

RnD_Solo
07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
And my point is..dont worry so much about it.. Figure out how to make it work and block your traffic.and enjoy..

spodoc
07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
OP I just remembered wugfresh has a dxf thread where he posted the tbh patch, tracking database removal, and wireless tether... all in a flashable zip for gb. Should get you going. Totally forgot until now. And he included wireless tether as a courtesy, not because it requires the tbh patch. Go get it and enjoy.

spodoc
07-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Just figured out how to link threads using my phone. Here u go:

http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30948
WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]

TMFGO45
07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
This could help. Might give it another go then....

RLPoloboy380
07-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Well for starters the vzw splash screen comes up when you use the 3g hotspots app. That is what is patched by tbh. That is independent from wireless tether.

As far as no one knowledgeable posting in your thread I can't speak as to why or why not people do things but if I had to guess they must not think the subject is interesting anymore. All that can be said has been said at this point.

There is some great dialog on dxf and we archive the threads so that once its said it's said. A notable exception of course would be an emergency " help I've bricked my phone". Folks here are nice enough to repeat themselves for emergencies because we've all been there.

As for me, I get about 10 min a day walking between buildings and its just not enough time to post thoughtfully anymore.

Actually Spodoc, the 3g hot spot app notification icon does still appear in the notification area and pulldown when you use wireless tether on GB with WugFresh's All in one zip. Even though they are two seperate apps, whenever you tether... they are tied in somehow showing "tethering or hotspot active" still... at least on my phone and some others anyway. We were told to just ignore it.

thewheel
07-07-2011, 06:47 AM
I flashed Wug's all-in-one patch. For some reason the Wireless Tether Beta and 3g hotspot allowed me to connect, but there was no internet access. I tried the old Wireless Tether 2.0.7 and it's working perfectly.

TMFGO45
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Rooted gb here I come (again, now that I have the tbh part of this equation!!!}

Kr0n0Tr1pR
07-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Thank you OP for starting this thread, just speaking for myself but I have been looking for this for weeks. And thank you everyone else who has posted relevant information. OP Please report back with your findings when you get it all set up. Still not exactly sure of the proper procedure here.

TMFGO45
07-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you OP for starting this thread, just speaking for myself but I have been looking for this for weeks. And thank you everyone else who has posted relevant information. OP Please report back with your findings when you get it all set up. Still not exactly sure of the proper procedure here.

No problem. And I will report back when I have done the procedure again. Either tomorrow if I have any time, or Saturday. But I will definitely update, with the steps I personally take.

Kr0n0Tr1pR
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I decided to undertake the patch as well. I followed the steps as provided by wugfresh and it worked perfectly for me. DL the patch, go into recovery, flash the .zip. That's it. Simple and effective. I wish I had this last weekend when my flight info was in an email and I had to pay $12 for 2 minutes of online time at the airport to retrieve it. XD