PDA

View Full Version : Ready to flash!

jtp755
06-19-2011, 11:14 AM
So im new (as in actually performing) to flashing ROMs on my DX. I rooted the day i brought it home and I have been reading here since then as well so i know pretty much whats going on and what needs to happen.

Just wanted to post to see if im missing anything and what your opinion on ROMs are.

I am running rooted stock Froyo (2.3.340)

I have installed:
D2 Bootstrap
Ti Backup
Rom Manager (if needed)

I had no issues installing CWM from D2 Bootstrap and can boot to it no issues. I performed a nandriod from there as well.
I never could get CWM to install using Rom Manager a while back so its just been sitting there since then.

To get to GB i would follow this: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-help/26668-guide-froyo-gingerbread.html#post306920

Then i would flash the ROM of choice...=)

ROM Opinions:

I definitely have to have camera and camcorder (with 8mp cam)
I definitely have to have Corp Sync and gmail but am open to using K9, Touchdown, or similar
I love to customize...
I would like to still be able to run WidgetLocker, WidgetSoid, Desktop Visualizer, Simi Folders, Minimalistic Text, and i love ADW Launcher EX
I definitely want to be able to use the navigation and maps
I like the car dock app and the desk dock (but am good with replacements as well)

So what ones do you recommend? I thought i had decided on Liberty but the prox sensor not working is annoying (but workaroundable). Havent looked at too much on Apex. Not sure on Rubix either. Looked at DG's ROMs like LexLite, BroodComb, and Hateraid. Im VERY excited about CM7 but will wait until the camera atleast works.

Thanks in advance!!

jtp755
06-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Did i post this in the wrong section or something? I figured someone would have commented by now...40 views and nothing =)

dom707
06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
If you want to go to cm7 once all the kinks get worked out, I suggest going to apex 1.4.1 to avoid having to SBF later if you do decide to go with cm. It is a very fast and stable rom and I experienced no problems with it. For me it was even more stable and had less reboots than stock froyo. It comes with adw launcher stock and all of the apps you wanted work great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Bkdodger
06-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Hello ..I moved your post to gingerbread ..

So you need to be stock froyo then flash part two which gets you to gingerbread and many choices ..

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/27636-official-dx-gingerbread-2-3-3-4-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html

Sent from ÍlGato's X...
My X likes to change daily..

jtp755
06-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks for moving to the right area!

When I get back to the house I'm gonna start flashing. I read some where that it would be a good idea to SBF stock 2.3.340 and then start the 2 part to GB. Is this still needed?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Bkdodger
06-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I think that is the cleanest way if you don't have a stock backup...I would copy d2 and z4 to root of sd card now so when you get to stock you can root and install bootstrap ..

Burn the ISO disk and check the sum so you know your good to go..

Follow the guide and stock you will be my friend ..

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23638
Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

Sent from ÍlGato's X...

jtp755
06-19-2011, 07:39 PM
CD burnt...even though i didnt need it (i have 3 linux systems running =P)!

I cant seem to find the d2 bootstrap apk. I already have z4 on my sd card.

Another question i had.....do i need to activate the phone after flashing stock or can i just root, install d2 bootstrap, and then reboot to cwm and flash the part 1?

jtp755
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
i got the d2 apk. Backed it up with Ti Backup and then extracted the gz.

Still not sure on the activation...

Bkdodger
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
When I sbf mine I had to activate which was so quick then z4 root might have to reboot to take root ...then d2 ...flash two part from sd card back to back in clockwork ...reboot and gingerbread ..

Sent from ÍlGato's X...

NUNsLAUGHTER92
06-20-2011, 02:09 AM
How exactly do you reactivate it after an sbf? I haven't had to do it yet..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Snow02
06-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Dial *228.

NUNsLAUGHTER92
06-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Oh thank you (:
is that just for the Droid X or for every phone that needs to be re activated?

jtp755
06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Nuns...Not sure on all phones but I just SBFed, factory reset/wipe cache, and when it started i had to go through the signing in to google process. After i was done, it started syncing my contacts and apps i had downloaded automatically.

On a side note...i completely forgot how slow stock was and how it looked heh...

Bkdodger
06-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Nuns...Not sure on all phones but I just SBFed, factory reset/wipe cache, and when it started i had to go through the signing in to google process. After i was done, it started syncing my contacts and apps i had downloaded automatically.

On a side note...i completely forgot how slow stock was and how it looked heh...

Haha I didn't like it either ..are you in gingy now?

Sent from ÍlGato's X...

jtp755
06-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I am in gingy and LOVING it!! It is very noticeably faster and smoother than Froyo.

The 2 part is odexed right? Think i should flash deodexed over it?

Now to decide on a ROM or stock...heh.

Bkdodger
06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
I am in gingy and LOVING it!! It is very noticeably faster and smoother than Froyo.

The 2 part is odexed right? Think i should flash deodexed over it?

Now to decide on a ROM or stock...heh.

Yeah flash deodex if you staying put ..I say try a few thou LOL

I enjoyed libertygb and Apex has ppl talking ..

Sent from ÍlGato's X...

jtp755
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Definitely gonna try Liberty and Apex out eventually. Ill keep it stock for a couple days...maybe =)

Thanks for all your help! Maybe one day i can help out as well...

Bkdodger
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Definitely gonna try Liberty and Apex out eventually. Ill keep it stock for a couple days...maybe =)

Thanks for all your help! Maybe one day i can help out as well...

Most welcomed ..
Yeah good idea ...you will enjoy for sure and I'm sure you will help out ...best way is thru using them and passing along experiences

Sent from ÍlGato's X...

Enzymaticracer
06-21-2011, 06:03 PM

FYI if you have z4 and d2 bootstrap your sd card you can skip signing in to google and move on
To your next flash without having to fight the market trying to download everything at once

if you made a titanium backup apk before flashing you can restore backed up apps faster than google market can download them.

B3N
06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
droidmodderx google or youtube( u should check it out )
all links and walkthrough

B3N
06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
cm7 is runin prety good.
u might want to check it out
cm7

tkrahling
06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
cm7 is runin prety good.
u might want to check it out
cm7

Said he needed the camera to work properly, with what he needs I would go with liberty, I'm sorta biased though

Droid X rocking Liberty GB v0.8

B3N
06-21-2011, 08:12 PM
fast burst camera

free on the market

theres also a zip for the gps problem

thats all i need camera & gps

B3N
06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
https://market.android.com/search?q=fast+burst+camera&so=1&c=apps
problem solved

camera.

gkallivrousis
06-21-2011, 09:15 PM
ive yet to try CM7 but ill give you my experiences of Rooted Deoxed Apex and Liberty.

Ive been a huge fan of liberty for some time now mainly because everything is so simple. He has the Toolbox and the customizer that makes your life a hell of alot easier. The only problem is the damn thing crashes every day atleast twice. Especially when im in a hurry and need the phone. Also i noticed some 3g problems with liberty but that could just be me.

Deoxed (if thats spelt right) was also very good but coming from liberty the Deoxed felt slow as if theres more to be had.Dont get me wrong it was fast but it never made me want to stay for more then a day. Things were just a bit to choppy for me.

Apex now is what i use on a regular basis which i am very happy with so far. ive never had it crash yet and it just runs so smoothly. Only thing that makes me sad is that it doesnt have the toolbox like liberty. I know it use to have the terminal based one but lets me honest who wants to do that were lazy americans lol. But overall the speed i dont think you can beat. I feel like overall its a solid rom and more complete. Liberty is seems to be still in beta so ima wait till its all bugged out.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions i tried to help but im not good at typing descriptive sentences lol.

tkrahling
06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
ive yet to try CM7 but ill give you my experiences of Rooted Deoxed Apex and Liberty.

Ive been a huge fan of liberty for some time now mainly because everything is so simple. He has the Toolbox and the customizer that makes your life a hell of alot easier. The only problem is the damn thing crashes every day atleast twice. Especially when im in a hurry and need the phone. Also i noticed some 3g problems with liberty but that could just be me.
ol.

Sorry to hear about the reboot probs in Liberty, I have yet to have a reboot on v0.8

gkallivrousis
06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
really well i guess im leaving out the apps i use on the phone which i guess could cause problems. Im using Go launch and Go sms and go...well everything lol

jtp755
06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on trying both Apex and Liberty.

Im looking forward to CM7 as well. I know you can use other camera apps but ive read that they are not the full 8mp images.

jmorton10
06-28-2011, 06:09 AM
Sorry to hear about the reboot probs in Liberty, I have yet to have a reboot on v0.8 I have never had a reboot on liberty v0.8 either and I have a TON of apps etc installed and use the hell out of it....